IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 31: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Attempt at humor becomes over-acting...a decent attempt nonetheless

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
4 August 2005

I have never seen the original 70's Starsky and Hutch series so I have nothing to compare this film to as far as a remake goes. The film was entertaining but not quite what I expected, although I enjoyed it more than I anticipated. It's not an action film which was disappointing to me because the film has the promise as a terrific action/comedy buddy cop type movie that could have been a franchise. Instead they went for humor and unfortunately it just came across for the most part as mockingly bad acting.

Starsky and Hutch begins with Detective David Starsky causing Havoc and landing in hot water with the boss. At the same time Captain Doby hauls in Ken Hutchinson who is also causing problems and he figures the best way for these two to get their punishment is force them to work together so he puts them together as partners. Reese Feldman is a businessman who has created a new brand of cocaine. This cocaine is so pure, and so good it is completely undetectable by taste, smell or anything else making it prime for smuggling and he's going to sell this cocaine for millions to 11 of the biggest drug dealers in the country. When one of Feldman's thugs wash ashore and Starsky and Hutch are the ones to find the body it starts them on a patch of investigation as to where the body came from. They realize they are stumbling on something much bigger and eventually discover that Feldman might be behind it. When they go undercover, get information from informants, they think they have Feldman nailed but instead it only gets them into more trouble. Determined to prove themselves they continue trying to get the dirt on Feldman even after suspension. They will realize that they make the best team and even with their opposite personalities they will catch their criminal.

As of recently a comedy team has been born. Sometimes they switch it up a little but Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell and more...they are like a big screen skit group. Sometimes their comedies work, and sometimes they bomb...because of their extreme over acting that feels like slapstick skit comedy. In this case Starsky and Hutch does work but mostly because of the story. Ben Stiller still acts like he's acting and it's overacting at that. He is mocking the character instead of creating it and it doesn't work well. Owen Wilson is the better of the two but then he's had a lot more experience in real action films which this should have been. Vince Vaughn is okay as the bad guy but like Stiller he seems like he's straight from a short comedy sketch. This film would have done much better with a serious cast, and more action. Still it's watchable and it's disappointing that it didn't get made as well as it could have. Snoop Dogg does a great job as Huggy Bear, although brief, he basically ends up wrapping up the whole film with his cameo which is an odd ending. It was nice that they brought in the original stars of Starsky and Hutch for cameos as well. Overall the film is okay and it could have been done differently but it's still pretty decent, worth seeing, and better than most of the comedy troupe's entries. 7/10

So Where Was Juliette Lewis?

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
21 June 2005

Last weekend I found a like-new "Starsky and Hutch" DVD at the local video store for $2.99. While that kind of mark-down just a few months after release is not a good sign, I decided to take a chance. I was curious about what the "Zoolander" guys would do to 1970's worst action television show. We considered David Soul's Hutch and Paul Michael Glaser's Starsky hopelessly dorky. Cruising Bay City (also the domain of great detectives Phillip Marlowe and James Rockford) with those two blow dry guys was "Welcome to Loserville".

Sometimes when I view something that is likely to be uneven and somewhat moronic, I begin by watching it backwards with the DVD player on a 7 to one scan. This means you see one second and skip the next six seconds, which with this type of movie should be enough to follow what is happening-even when happening in reverse. When something looks interesting I stop the player and watch that scene. If this happens a few times I will then start the movie at the beginning and give it a good viewing.

But this never happened with "Starsky and Hutch". It is the only bad movie in history where I went from end to beginning without detecting a pulse worth watching in real time. About the only reason for an actual viewing would be to solve the mystery of why Juliette Lewis is listed on the credits. Apparently her scenes were so abbreviated that she was never on the screen continuously for more than six seconds and my DVD player skipped all of the frames in which she appeared.

Hopefully I can sell this to someone for $1.99; it has only been played once since I bought it.

formula is familiar but entertaining

Author: Special-K88
5 May 2005

Obvious but amiable 1970s farce from the director of Old School and Road Trip about two cops, one a by the book loner trying to follow in the footsteps of his late mother (Stiller), the other a self-proclaimed realist who'll do anything to get ahead (Wilson), who are reluctantly paired together to try and solve a drug/murder case. With the help of a streetwise, smooth-talking police informant (Snoop Dogg), they must put aside their differences to try and thwart an arrogant cocaine smuggler (Vaughn). The formula has been seen time and time again, but it works thanks to a likable cast and an engaging script that doesn't require you to think too much. Wilson and Stiller are, as always, a likable duo, but the real highlight is Snoop Dogg who steals every scene he's in as Huggy Bear. **½

dumbing down of a great TV show

Author: esh04676 from United States
27 April 2005

Snoop Dogg is nearly the best thing in this slow moving action (!) buddy picture/action comedy. I got weary of Stiller's constant mugging. It's not funny, even though Stiller may have thought he was signaling the viewer that it is. Owen Wilson plays it straighter, and the end result is more satisfying. Both these actors are decent looking,and it would be great to see how they might perform with a better script and in the hands of a more imaginative director. For me the only laughs were the jailhouse scene with Will Ferrell as the prisoner being interviewed by Starsky and Hutch who tries to make a deal by getting Hutch to expose his navel. The other good moment was Snoop Dogg in his fur coat made of many colors.

Nice 'n light

Author: tiamat72 from Germany
3 March 2005

3 am, after various Tequilla Shots and movies, somebody pulls out 'Starsky & Hutch' out of nowhere. 'Great' I thought. 'Another Owen Wilson movie...' We had already watched Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights, which I hadn't been too fond of. Well, I certainly was surprised.

Even though I had missed on the first five minutes of the movie, thanks to the lack of plot it wasn't too hard to follow the movie anyway. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson work out great together, as already proved by movies like 'Zoolander', and it worked just as well as ever in Starsky & Hutch. I never saw the original series, since back then, my mom was my age and a big fan of the show... but back to the movie. As mentioned further up, the movie doesn't have a really deep plot - which doesn't make it any worse, instead, the gags make up for it. One gag follows another, and they ain't bad. Since I never had cared about that movie before, none of the gag's were spoiled for me through TV and even the Pony was hilarious to me. The music and clothes are great, it really captures the 70s flair, and Snoop Dogg as Huggybear is an extra plus. But all that probably wasn't what made me fall in love with this movie... Instead Starsky and Hutch, one of the loveliest movie couples in my opinion, was what I loved so much about the movie. The homo-erotic hints aren't really subtle, but cute to the bone. Is there anything better than Hutch carrying Starks lovingly to bed? Not for me. Even my male friends had to agree, that it was funny and kinda cute at the same time.

Overall, I got only one more thing to say: Watch that movie! ...Do it!

Not bad but nothing special.

Author: fibreoptic from England
4 December 2004

Over the years i have caught a few episodes of the original Starsky & Hutch TV series which were OK but a bit boring. A TV show about cops is hardly original. In fact the best thing about the original show was that car. With this remake i'm glad the film makers decided to add comedy to the mix so for me this time the best thing about this movie wasn't the car. It wasn't Ben Stiller either, nor Owen Wilson or Snoop Dogg. The best thing about it was Vince Vaughn who i haven't seen play a bad guy since the 'Psycho' remake. This guy has really impressed me with movies like 'Old School' and 'Dodgeball' and now this.

The story was OK but not great, the acting was generally good but unfortunately the comedy could have been better. It does drag in places and the jokes are few and far between but when there is comedy it ain't bad and usually works, especially the horse scene.

I think most people couldn't really care less about the cameo's from the original Starsky & Hutch near the end. This really is an unnecessary remake of a mediocre show. What next? Cagney & Lacey?! I mildly enjoyed it though, mainly because of Vaughn's performance. 7/10

Its not bad, but follows the lines of the TV show

Author: rashou812 from USA
30 November 2004

As a kid the TV show was fun and I felt that it was done good. The PG-13 rated was over the top. A little much for this film as this film was nothing more then a weekly TV show put on film. The views of the writer show, I can see how some viewers got lost with the plot, or as I almost did, fell asleep in this film. It basically was a 70's flick that roars with needing help with long drown out parts. I was said to see this film fall into a 'B' rated film with a 'A' produce. I hope the next one will come out better. (It dose happen)

I hope to see more later.

Author of this review is Jake Nicholas (son)

Author: roy-nicholas33 from United Kingdom
7 November 2004

Starsky and Hutch is one of the best movies i have seen this year. With Snoop Dogg as part of the cast you can count on many laughs.

This action/comedy speeds along with black humour as Ben Stiller meets Owen Wilson and they become partners and try to "crack" a large cocaine deal. The clash of character brings this movie to life from the minute the movie begins right up to the end credits.

Todd Phillips who also directed the humorous "Road Trip" has yet again produced another fabulous movie that due to the humorous content it is advisable not to eat popcorn while watching as it would leave a mess in your living room and your mother wouldn't like it!

Starsky and Hutch is a highly enjoyable experience for the young and older viewer who a sense of humour who enjoy good acting and appreciate brilliant stunts and set pieces.

I would highly recommend this movie and therefore give it a 9/10 rating.

Go rent it now, as you'll never get bored with it.

i tried, really i tried.....(spoiler)

Author: JJCA
13 October 2004

but i couldn't stand this movie. It's not that the premise was unreasonable, but rather, that the script was just not funny except very very very rarely.

I enjoyed some aspects of Owen Wilson's and Ben Stiller's performances, but they were wasted with this bad of a script. The new Huggy Bear was an enjoyable addition to the lackadaisical action, but even he could not pull this one out of the trash can. I appreciate that this was equal parts sendup and satire, but the problem is while you are spending all your time remembering the old series, you forget about the movie... There was nothing in either of the main characters that made you care in any way for or about what happened to them. In fact after 3/4 of the way through the movie, i wanted to shoot them and spare myself any more pain.

The best part of the movie? (spoiler) the end when the "REAL" David Starsky had to hand over his Torino to Stiller.

Flat Comedy Misses the Mark

Author: gpadillo from Portland, Maine
23 September 2004

Starsky & Hutch is a flawed comedy that, considering the talent, could have been far more than it ended up being. Stiller, one of the most talented comic actors of his age, here goes for shallow caricature rather than developing a true shallow character. Where it worked for him in Zoolander it fails here. In fact it's as though Stiller decided to ape Zoolander playing Starsky. An interesting premise perhaps, but its execution falls fairly flat.

Owen Wilson doesn't give much more, and doesn't fare much better.

The duo are not without some funny moments, but overall there were long stretches of nothing padding out the comic bits.

The film is worth watching primarily for the performances of Vince Vaughan and Snoop Dog's Huggy Bear – both breathing life into a fairly stagnant

Also worthwhile is Juliette Lewis in an inflated cameo is wonderful, and more than any other cast member, embodies the sexual innocence gone haywire that seemed to fuel the 70's.

It's hard to believe this was directed by Todd Phillips, the director who gave us the unflinching, hard hitting documentary "Hated" about the twisted, revolting life of punk anti-hero G.G. Allin. Phillips would go on to impress in the comedies Old School and Road Trip. Faced here with a period piece he relies too heavily on site gags (oversized portable phones, radios, etc.) which cannot alone carry a film.

These types of films fail because they are all surface and too little substance. The original Starsky & Hutch seems funny to us now because there was a sincerity in respecting the material. The material may not have been great, but the premise was and the execution by David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser nearly perfect.

Phillips has been announced as the director for The Six Million Dollar Man with Jim Carrey. Smells all wrong to me.