IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 31: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Nice 'n light

Author: tiamat72 from Germany
3 March 2005

3 am, after various Tequilla Shots and movies, somebody pulls out 'Starsky & Hutch' out of nowhere. 'Great' I thought. 'Another Owen Wilson movie...' We had already watched Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights, which I hadn't been too fond of. Well, I certainly was surprised.

Even though I had missed on the first five minutes of the movie, thanks to the lack of plot it wasn't too hard to follow the movie anyway. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson work out great together, as already proved by movies like 'Zoolander', and it worked just as well as ever in Starsky & Hutch. I never saw the original series, since back then, my mom was my age and a big fan of the show... but back to the movie. As mentioned further up, the movie doesn't have a really deep plot - which doesn't make it any worse, instead, the gags make up for it. One gag follows another, and they ain't bad. Since I never had cared about that movie before, none of the gag's were spoiled for me through TV and even the Pony was hilarious to me. The music and clothes are great, it really captures the 70s flair, and Snoop Dogg as Huggybear is an extra plus. But all that probably wasn't what made me fall in love with this movie... Instead Starsky and Hutch, one of the loveliest movie couples in my opinion, was what I loved so much about the movie. The homo-erotic hints aren't really subtle, but cute to the bone. Is there anything better than Hutch carrying Starks lovingly to bed? Not for me. Even my male friends had to agree, that it was funny and kinda cute at the same time.

Overall, I got only one more thing to say: Watch that movie! ...Do it!

Not bad but nothing special.

Author: fibreoptic from England
4 December 2004

Over the years i have caught a few episodes of the original Starsky & Hutch TV series which were OK but a bit boring. A TV show about cops is hardly original. In fact the best thing about the original show was that car. With this remake i'm glad the film makers decided to add comedy to the mix so for me this time the best thing about this movie wasn't the car. It wasn't Ben Stiller either, nor Owen Wilson or Snoop Dogg. The best thing about it was Vince Vaughn who i haven't seen play a bad guy since the 'Psycho' remake. This guy has really impressed me with movies like 'Old School' and 'Dodgeball' and now this.

The story was OK but not great, the acting was generally good but unfortunately the comedy could have been better. It does drag in places and the jokes are few and far between but when there is comedy it ain't bad and usually works, especially the horse scene.

I think most people couldn't really care less about the cameo's from the original Starsky & Hutch near the end. This really is an unnecessary remake of a mediocre show. What next? Cagney & Lacey?! I mildly enjoyed it though, mainly because of Vaughn's performance. 7/10

Its not bad, but follows the lines of the TV show

Author: rashou812 from USA
30 November 2004

As a kid the TV show was fun and I felt that it was done good. The PG-13 rated was over the top. A little much for this film as this film was nothing more then a weekly TV show put on film. The views of the writer show, I can see how some viewers got lost with the plot, or as I almost did, fell asleep in this film. It basically was a 70's flick that roars with needing help with long drown out parts. I was said to see this film fall into a 'B' rated film with a 'A' produce. I hope the next one will come out better. (It dose happen)

I hope to see more later.

Author of this review is Jake Nicholas (son)

Author: roy-nicholas33 from United Kingdom
7 November 2004

Starsky and Hutch is one of the best movies i have seen this year. With Snoop Dogg as part of the cast you can count on many laughs.

This action/comedy speeds along with black humour as Ben Stiller meets Owen Wilson and they become partners and try to "crack" a large cocaine deal. The clash of character brings this movie to life from the minute the movie begins right up to the end credits.

Todd Phillips who also directed the humorous "Road Trip" has yet again produced another fabulous movie that due to the humorous content it is advisable not to eat popcorn while watching as it would leave a mess in your living room and your mother wouldn't like it!

Starsky and Hutch is a highly enjoyable experience for the young and older viewer who a sense of humour who enjoy good acting and appreciate brilliant stunts and set pieces.

I would highly recommend this movie and therefore give it a 9/10 rating.

Go rent it now, as you'll never get bored with it.

i tried, really i tried.....(spoiler)

Author: JJCA
13 October 2004

but i couldn't stand this movie. It's not that the premise was unreasonable, but rather, that the script was just not funny except very very very rarely.

I enjoyed some aspects of Owen Wilson's and Ben Stiller's performances, but they were wasted with this bad of a script. The new Huggy Bear was an enjoyable addition to the lackadaisical action, but even he could not pull this one out of the trash can. I appreciate that this was equal parts sendup and satire, but the problem is while you are spending all your time remembering the old series, you forget about the movie... There was nothing in either of the main characters that made you care in any way for or about what happened to them. In fact after 3/4 of the way through the movie, i wanted to shoot them and spare myself any more pain.

The best part of the movie? (spoiler) the end when the "REAL" David Starsky had to hand over his Torino to Stiller.

Flat Comedy Misses the Mark

Author: gpadillo from Portland, Maine
23 September 2004

Starsky & Hutch is a flawed comedy that, considering the talent, could have been far more than it ended up being. Stiller, one of the most talented comic actors of his age, here goes for shallow caricature rather than developing a true shallow character. Where it worked for him in Zoolander it fails here. In fact it's as though Stiller decided to ape Zoolander playing Starsky. An interesting premise perhaps, but its execution falls fairly flat.

Owen Wilson doesn't give much more, and doesn't fare much better.

The duo are not without some funny moments, but overall there were long stretches of nothing padding out the comic bits.

The film is worth watching primarily for the performances of Vince Vaughan and Snoop Dog's Huggy Bear – both breathing life into a fairly stagnant

Also worthwhile is Juliette Lewis in an inflated cameo is wonderful, and more than any other cast member, embodies the sexual innocence gone haywire that seemed to fuel the 70's.

It's hard to believe this was directed by Todd Phillips, the director who gave us the unflinching, hard hitting documentary "Hated" about the twisted, revolting life of punk anti-hero G.G. Allin. Phillips would go on to impress in the comedies Old School and Road Trip. Faced here with a period piece he relies too heavily on site gags (oversized portable phones, radios, etc.) which cannot alone carry a film.

These types of films fail because they are all surface and too little substance. The original Starsky & Hutch seems funny to us now because there was a sincerity in respecting the material. The material may not have been great, but the premise was and the execution by David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser nearly perfect.

Phillips has been announced as the director for The Six Million Dollar Man with Jim Carrey. Smells all wrong to me.

Maybe Stiller/Wilson's best?

Author: Bones Eijnar (namriggs@hotmail.com) from Trondheim, Norway
20 September 2004

SPOILERS. STARSKY & HUTCH is a truly entertaining piece of comedy. The classic cop-couple being two totally different guys, is truly one of the most inspiring and well-working chemistries in movie history.

I've loved Stiller and Wilson since they arrived and I look forward to every movie where they share the screen. Starsky is a "I know my job" cop that truly hunts the bad-guys down with his fine leather jacket and tight pants. Hutch(inson) on the other side is a more relaxed, maybe more stupid cop, preferring to work undercover. When these two idiots are mixed together to investigate a murder, everything goes wrong and right.. Hutch also seeks help threw a local negro-gangster and Starsky is kept being compared to his mother.

The movie has truly got some hilarious scenes! And with a comedy; you are to laugh and to enjoy the movie being a good movie, and this mixes them fine together. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson being fabulous easy riders, having to be dragons to satisfy a sick prisoner, creating brother ship, fighting the law and much more. Stiller/Starsky going wild on cocaine, doing the dance floor, driving lunatic good looking car, being compared with his mother, accidentally shooting a horse, being teased at work, wearing tight pants, not digging, having something for blondies, seeing birds and much more. Wilson/Hutch digging, laughing along, going undercover, being the cute, taking anything, doing "the wall" again, being buddy to a afro-negro-boy and much more.

STARSKY & HUTCH satisfied me threw the whole movie and were never boring, something that kept it a good comedy all the way. STARS: 4/5

This movie just doesn't know what it is.

Author: Karl Beard from clitheroe, england
16 August 2004

*** SMALL SPOILER *** This movie just doesn't know what it is. 70's pastiche, thrilling detective story, tribute to the original TV series or a good comedy - it failed to be any of these.. What a bore. The film doesn't get going and then it's finished!

The performances are mediocre and the "jokes" were totally misplaced and irrelevant. Snoop Dogg tries his best but is ultimately upstaged by his character colleagues. The characters of both "Starsky" and "Hutch" seem to be different than I remember. Please correct me if you think I'm wrong Don't expect any nostalgia or much reference to the wonderful humour of the original. The end scene where the original actors appear is just sad!

Sorry - I really wanted to like this movie but it just didn't deliver!

Disappointing

Author: cockneysparrer from Somerset, UK
8 August 2004

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this film or not, having been a fan of the TV series. Now I wish I hadn't bothered.

Quite frankly I found it insulting to David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser, to the TV series and to everyone involved in it.

If it was being played for laughs, it failed miserably. I didn't find it in the least bit funny. Sure there was plenty of action - that was about the only thing going to it. David Soul's song was massacred by Owen Wilson. It was a mistake to include it at all, in my view.

A complete waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

The TV series is available and I'm off to get that so I can see the real Starsky and Hutch: real drama with appropriate humour.

Thanks To Cast And Crew

Author: dakotabayranch from Tennessee
21 July 2004

After being a loyal fan of the television show since it premiered, I wasn't expecting this movie to be as great as it was. But the people who brought this movie to life did a terrific job of bringing the Starsky and Hutch tradition back in grand style. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson have a genuine chemistry that is very reminiscent of Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul. I was glad this movie wasn't done over the top with the special effects and advanced technology that was available to the production team today. As a person who grew up in the seventies this film stayed true. And thanks to bringing the Gran Torino back, Starsky and Hutch would not be the same without that car. If anyone loved the show I think they will love this movie. It's done with a style and grace that was loyal to the original in so many ways without doing it the same exact way. Thanks to all involved.