IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 31: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Not as funny as "Old School" but still entertaining

Author: Sean (doubledown44) from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
26 February 2004

"Starsky & Hutch" didn't have the audience rolling as much as it was when I saw "Old School," but the comedy in this movie was pretty consistent. There a was a laugh, or at least a chuckle, every minute or so. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were great. I had seen "Along Came Polly" a few weeks before and Stiller seemed to have much more fun making "Starsky & Hutch" than he did "Polly." And now that I mention "Polly," I would like to mention how refreshing it was that "Starsky & Hutch" was NOT filled with Sophomoric gross-out humor. The crowd I attended the screening with was extremely young and not once did anyone seem to miss all of the gross-out jokes that seem to pass for entertainment these days (I'm talking to you "Van Wilder," American Pie," "Saving Silverman" and other movies that don't even have Jason Biggs or Tara Reid). Snoop was really funny in a (too) small role. However, the only problem I had was that Vince Vaughn was under-utilized and it felt like he was holding back. I'm a big fan of his and I would like to have seen more of the manic energy he brings to the MTV sketches (during award shows). Otherwise, it's a pretty good time at the movies - provided you keep your expectations at a reasonable level.

don't have to be 40, just an "old school" fan

Author: snottecato (snottecato@aol.com) from Goleta, CA
24 February 2004

Listen, this movie has absolutely NOTHING for fans of the television show. Unless you count getting to see the original stars at the end which seems more like a token gesture for out of work actors than anything else. It was kind of pointless. I am guessing the only reason Todd Phillips chose this show to make a movie out of was because he could put two of the funniest guys in the world in a buddy cop movie (which opens up pretty much any comedic options) AND there was an obvious part for the masterful thespian, Snoop Dogg, whom he worked with in Old School. He was great as Huggy Bear by the way. But again, he wasn't really supposed to be Huggy Bear. He was Snoop Dogg. Owen Wilson wasn't Hutch, he was Owen Wilson. Thank god for that. If you really liked the show and are looking for a serious remake, don't look here. If you are under 30 and thought pretty much every moment of old school was hilarious, get to this film immediately. My only complaint was that Vince Vaughn was given a sub- par character and not enough screen time. Everyone in this movie is frickin funny as hell though, and this is probably the funniest I have seen Ben Stiller since Zoolander. It seems like there is a backlash against this movie before it has even come out with people saying it was going to be a letdown. Sorry, it is most definitely not. Highly recommended if you have a sense of humor.

Saw this Last night - Sun 22nd Feb

Author: aland49 from Dublin, Ireland
23 February 2004

Well, it was the surprise movie at the Dublin International Film Festival on closing night last night. One of the first in the world to see it, so we were told.

For fans of the tv show, this is completely different. At times I was watching Starsky (Ben Stiller) and thinking Zoolander. On the whole, I must say that after adjusting to the 'change' in stlye from the original tv show, I really enjoyed this movie. It was funny, very funny in places. It was well worth the entrance fee, and I would recommend it.

Favourite moments included the scenes with the famous car, with Ben Stiller in a Travolta dance scene (Hilarious), Snoop as Huggy and the cameos.

I was constantly waiting for Cpt Doby to scream at the boys, but it never came. Other than that, the experience was a good one and I'd give the movie a solid 8/10.

I wont say anymore. Enjoy!

Alan

Pointless mind fluff - nice if you like that sort of thing.

Author: sugar_spun (sugar_spun@talk21.com) from Dublin
23 February 2004

So I went to the International Film Festival Surprise Film last night. We were expecting something impressive; last year they had Buffalo Soldiers and the review said it was something that had never before been seen.

So in we go, the lights go down and the beginning comes up... people are tense and expectant... and then the little white writing across the screen. Bay City, the seventies.

I should have gone with my better instinct and left right there. Ben Stiller plays the exact same character he always does, which I suppose is fine if you like that character. Owen Whatsisname is decent enough, very low key and has a great delivery on some lines. Snoop Dogg is the best thing about the whole film, seeing him standing in the middle of a room in his underpants having a recording device complete with aerial taped to his unfeasibly skinny body was the only thing that saved my evening.

The trouble is that this is going to be a massive blockbusting hit. People are going to watch it and enjoy the two hours of mindless stupidity. It's going to sell out all over the place. But if you saw Charlies Angels and it's abysmal sequel and you resent the hours they stole from you steer well clear. There's enough fluff on the TV that you don't have to make a special trip to see some, and this film just doesn't have anything to warrant the trip. Except Snoop's chicken legs, of course.

Predictable gags, painful moments, occasional real laughs

Author: drbryan from Pasadena, CA
22 February 2004

I saw this movie mainly because it was a sneak preview, and they filmed some scenes at my local country club (swimming pool scenes).

This movie has about as much to do with the original Starsky and Hutch as a Dave Barry column has to do with its headline. It is a total tongue-in-cheek bizarro version of the real thing. Knowing this at the beginning might make the movie seem even funnier.

There were many scenes in this movie borrowed from serious cop-buddy dramas, but you always knew there was going to be a gag and when (like the buff cop running at the beach only to trip when he sees pretty girls). The movie was padded with some unnecessary T&A, but there was one funny scene in a women's locker room (funny if you're a guy).

You really need to be in your 40's to fully appreciate this movie. (I am). The music was great if you like 70's music, and this movie did pay homage to some classic 70's flicks (great Easy Rider scene). The outfits, cars and hairdos were hysterical and as best as I can remember, pretty authentic. Just when you thought the movie was over, they threw in a nice surprise at the end (no spoiler here).

I laughed hard a few times. I moaned and winced a few times as well. It wasn't a total waste of time, but it certainly wasn't a memorable comedy. And...if you really, really liked the original Starsky and Hutch, don't go.

Parody that falls far short of original series.

Author: windanafive
2 October 2013

If you're a fan of the original series and not interested in seeing it parodied, I suggest giving this movie a miss.

There are various "golden oldie" songs throughout the movie which were enjoyable to listen to and sing along to but some of the footage that accompanied these songs seemed overtly and unnecessarily sexual.

The characters of Starsky and Hitch seemed considerably less concerned with fair play and honesty than the TV series' counterparts.

The highlight of the movie was probably the cameos of David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser in the last few minutes of the movie. Amusingly, Soul's character was dressed identically to Wilson's character, as were Stiller and Glaser's characters, Glaser and Stiller in Starsky's leather jacket and Soul and Wilson in Hutch's standard style of outfit.

There were a few clever gags (literally a few, three, I think) but some of it was rather obnoxious and parents should be warned, like many remakes of old/older stories/series, a lot of this is NOT suitable for children or young teens. The TV series is suitable for a fairly young audience but I'd probably prefer not to show the movie to under 15s.

Starsky's character changed throughout the movie with no really clear reason why. I found this bizarre.

I've been there, watched it, and am unlikely to ever bother with it again.

Not Stiller's Best Work

Author: Michael Brock from United States
10 August 2013

Well, let's just say straight away that "Starsky and Hutch" was never going to be some sort of amazing film which would go into the History books. It was never meant to be. This film is basically exactly what you'd expect. It is a light hearted tribute to the original 1970s TV series, including cameo performances by the original stars Soul and Glaser. That is all it was ever meant to be. Stiller and Wilson in their title roles are their usual funny selves, although it does feel at times that if it wasn't for their chemistry, this film would be nothing. Let's not beat around the bush, whilst it IS funny, the reason my friend was disappointed was because it could have been a hell of a lot funnier. It's hard to point out why exactly, as there are one or two gem's, but for a comedy, people want to be laughing in the isles. Other than Stiller and Wilson, the cast provides acceptable backup, with the exception of Will Farrell who I feel is wasted. Relatively recent film newcomer Snoop Dogg is the one big surprise out of the acceptable cast. I'd gone into this film with the one expectation of Snoop being awful, so imagine my surprise when he was actually quite good as Huggy Bear, former 1970s nothing but 2004 Crime Boss.

Other than commentating on the actors and the inconsistent humour, there isn't really that much to say. This film is exactly as someone should expect. It's a light hearted buddy-buddy film with the occasional joke.

I give it a 3.

Booo...

Author: jiggsmcgretzky from United States
20 July 2013

This movie was a disgrace to the memory of the great "Starsky & Hutch" TV show. They had the characters completely backwards (Hutch is the one who freaks out all the time, Starsky is "New York cool" all the time), and they weren't buffoons, either. At least they got the car right...Ben Stiller should be ashamed of himself for making this piece of crap movie. Anyone who was a fan of the TV show should hate this, as it makes a mockery of one of the first TV shows to show black people in a good light (sort of). I was a young boy crazy about cars when the TV show came out, so this movie was a major disappointment for me. I should have know it would be, with Owen "one-note actor" Wilson and Ben Stiller in it.....

Starsky & Hutch Is Good For Laughs

Author: Desertman84 from United States
29 October 2011

Starsky & Hutch is an action comedy film that stars Ben Stiller as David Starsky and Owen Wilson as Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson.It was a film adaptation of the original television series of the same name from the 1970s.The story picks up as two streetwise undercover cops in 1975, driving in a red 1974 Ford Gran Torino, bust drug criminals. The film functions as a sort of prequel to the TV series, as it portrays when Starsky was first partnered with Hutchinson.It also features appearance by Juliette Lewis, Will Ferrell,Matt Walsh,Snoop Dogg and Vince Vaughn.The movie was directed by Todd Philips.

The story starts when Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson and Dave Starsky are a tough pair of plain-clothes cops who drive a red and white Ford Torino and solve cases with the assistance of their informant, Huggy Bear. While investigating their latest case, the duo realize that the culprit is none other than Reese Feldman,the criminal involved in their first bust.

Although the script was all over the map,the chemistry between Stiller and Wilson made up for the film.The story also moves slowly and without much grace.It tries to jiggle laughs out of us as much as possible instead of letting them flow freely.But nevertheless,the film is more warmhearted than sentimental and just as irreverent as it is nostalgic.Overall,it is a good for laughs movie.

Criminally underrated

Author: james-1609 from Fort Lauderdale
18 July 2010

This movie is seriously underrated. A 6.2??? You have to be kidding me. This movie is sometimes laugh scream out load funny. Everything about it was great. The acting was great. Very subtle. Tons of great big name comedic actors of this generation. I cannot understand why people did not love this movie. Perhaps they saw the TV show and didn't like this version because they were comparing it to the TV show and this was a bit of parody. I don't remember seeing the TV show back in the day as it wasn't my bag. So I saw this with an unbiased view. All I can say is this movie's rating is one of the most off I have seen on IMDb. I notice comedies don't fare well on here. Owen Wilson was very cool and understated. Vince Vaughn did his usual bit. I have seen this twice now and it was almost as funny the 2nd time around. This movie will stand the test of time.