IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 31: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Pointless mind fluff - nice if you like that sort of thing.

Author: sugar_spun (sugar_spun@talk21.com) from Dublin
23 February 2004

So I went to the International Film Festival Surprise Film last night. We were expecting something impressive; last year they had Buffalo Soldiers and the review said it was something that had never before been seen.

So in we go, the lights go down and the beginning comes up... people are tense and expectant... and then the little white writing across the screen. Bay City, the seventies.

I should have gone with my better instinct and left right there. Ben Stiller plays the exact same character he always does, which I suppose is fine if you like that character. Owen Whatsisname is decent enough, very low key and has a great delivery on some lines. Snoop Dogg is the best thing about the whole film, seeing him standing in the middle of a room in his underpants having a recording device complete with aerial taped to his unfeasibly skinny body was the only thing that saved my evening.

The trouble is that this is going to be a massive blockbusting hit. People are going to watch it and enjoy the two hours of mindless stupidity. It's going to sell out all over the place. But if you saw Charlies Angels and it's abysmal sequel and you resent the hours they stole from you steer well clear. There's enough fluff on the TV that you don't have to make a special trip to see some, and this film just doesn't have anything to warrant the trip. Except Snoop's chicken legs, of course.

Saw this Last night - Sun 22nd Feb

Author: aland49 from Dublin, Ireland
23 February 2004

Well, it was the surprise movie at the Dublin International Film Festival on closing night last night. One of the first in the world to see it, so we were told.

For fans of the tv show, this is completely different. At times I was watching Starsky (Ben Stiller) and thinking Zoolander. On the whole, I must say that after adjusting to the 'change' in stlye from the original tv show, I really enjoyed this movie. It was funny, very funny in places. It was well worth the entrance fee, and I would recommend it.

Favourite moments included the scenes with the famous car, with Ben Stiller in a Travolta dance scene (Hilarious), Snoop as Huggy and the cameos.

I was constantly waiting for Cpt Doby to scream at the boys, but it never came. Other than that, the experience was a good one and I'd give the movie a solid 8/10.

I wont say anymore. Enjoy!

Alan

Predictable gags, painful moments, occasional real laughs

Author: drbryan from Pasadena, CA
22 February 2004

I saw this movie mainly because it was a sneak preview, and they filmed some scenes at my local country club (swimming pool scenes).

This movie has about as much to do with the original Starsky and Hutch as a Dave Barry column has to do with its headline. It is a total tongue-in-cheek bizarro version of the real thing. Knowing this at the beginning might make the movie seem even funnier.

There were many scenes in this movie borrowed from serious cop-buddy dramas, but you always knew there was going to be a gag and when (like the buff cop running at the beach only to trip when he sees pretty girls). The movie was padded with some unnecessary T&A, but there was one funny scene in a women's locker room (funny if you're a guy).

You really need to be in your 40's to fully appreciate this movie. (I am). The music was great if you like 70's music, and this movie did pay homage to some classic 70's flicks (great Easy Rider scene). The outfits, cars and hairdos were hysterical and as best as I can remember, pretty authentic. Just when you thought the movie was over, they threw in a nice surprise at the end (no spoiler here).

I laughed hard a few times. I moaned and winced a few times as well. It wasn't a total waste of time, but it certainly wasn't a memorable comedy. And...if you really, really liked the original Starsky and Hutch, don't go.

Starsky & Hutch Is Good For Laughs

Author: Intern2014 from United States
29 October 2011

Starsky & Hutch is an action comedy film that stars Ben Stiller as David Starsky and Owen Wilson as Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson.It was a film adaptation of the original television series of the same name from the 1970s.The story picks up as two streetwise undercover cops in 1975, driving in a red 1974 Ford Gran Torino, bust drug criminals. The film functions as a sort of prequel to the TV series, as it portrays when Starsky was first partnered with Hutchinson.It also features appearance by Juliette Lewis, Will Ferrell,Matt Walsh,Snoop Dogg and Vince Vaughn.The movie was directed by Todd Philips.

The story starts when Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson and Dave Starsky are a tough pair of plain-clothes cops who drive a red and white Ford Torino and solve cases with the assistance of their informant, Huggy Bear. While investigating their latest case, the duo realize that the culprit is none other than Reese Feldman,the criminal involved in their first bust.

Although the script was all over the map,the chemistry between Stiller and Wilson made up for the film.The story also moves slowly and without much grace.It tries to jiggle laughs out of us as much as possible instead of letting them flow freely.But nevertheless,the film is more warmhearted than sentimental and just as irreverent as it is nostalgic.Overall,it is a good for laughs movie.

Criminally underrated

Author: james-1609 from Fort Lauderdale
18 July 2010

This movie is seriously underrated. A 6.2??? You have to be kidding me. This movie is sometimes laugh scream out load funny. Everything about it was great. The acting was great. Very subtle. Tons of great big name comedic actors of this generation. I cannot understand why people did not love this movie. Perhaps they saw the TV show and didn't like this version because they were comparing it to the TV show and this was a bit of parody. I don't remember seeing the TV show back in the day as it wasn't my bag. So I saw this with an unbiased view. All I can say is this movie's rating is one of the most off I have seen on IMDb. I notice comedies don't fare well on here. Owen Wilson was very cool and understated. Vince Vaughn did his usual bit. I have seen this twice now and it was almost as funny the 2nd time around. This movie will stand the test of time.

Don't Give Up on Us, Baby

Author: blanche-2 from United States
28 August 2008

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are "Starsky & Hutch" in this 2004 take-off of the 1970s buddy cop TV series that had special appeal to pre-pubescent girls. Angry Captain Doby (Fred Williamson) is back as is Huggy Bear (Snoop Dog). Even the striped-tomato red car is back. In this film, Starsky is straight as an arrow and Hutch is not above stealing money out of perp's wallet or committing a robbery and claiming he was undercover at the time. The two become reluctant partners and go after a drug dealer (Vince Vaughn).

There are many great '70s songs, discos, and Afros that go from one side of the street to the other. There is also no lack of S&H's famous undercover characterizations and disguises. And the ending will bring a big smile to your face. Owen Wilson singing "Don't Give Up on Us, Baby," David Soul's lighter than air hit tune, was a highlight of the film for me.

Interestingly, the characters seem to swap personalities when compared to the series, where Hutch was the concerned straight arrow and Starsky was the more laid back rule-breaker.

As a bit of trivia, Soul moved to England and began doing a lot of theater, appearing as Jerry Springer in "Jerry Springer - the Opera" not so long ago. He has long championed many humanitarian causes. Glaser, of course, became a director and an AIDS activist, his wife being Elizabeth Glaser, who lost her life to the disease along with their daughter. Back in the '70s, both men received a lot of publicity for their various demands and star attitudes. Life has a way of straightening out your priorities, I guess.

If you remember the series and the '70s, this is a fun film, and if you don't, I suspect it's fun anyway. If you are a die-hard, serious fan of the original series, this isn't the movie for you if you're planning on taking it seriously.

Attempt at humor becomes over-acting...a decent attempt nonetheless

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
4 August 2005

I have never seen the original 70's Starsky and Hutch series so I have nothing to compare this film to as far as a remake goes. The film was entertaining but not quite what I expected, although I enjoyed it more than I anticipated. It's not an action film which was disappointing to me because the film has the promise as a terrific action/comedy buddy cop type movie that could have been a franchise. Instead they went for humor and unfortunately it just came across for the most part as mockingly bad acting.

Starsky and Hutch begins with Detective David Starsky causing Havoc and landing in hot water with the boss. At the same time Captain Doby hauls in Ken Hutchinson who is also causing problems and he figures the best way for these two to get their punishment is force them to work together so he puts them together as partners. Reese Feldman is a businessman who has created a new brand of cocaine. This cocaine is so pure, and so good it is completely undetectable by taste, smell or anything else making it prime for smuggling and he's going to sell this cocaine for millions to 11 of the biggest drug dealers in the country. When one of Feldman's thugs wash ashore and Starsky and Hutch are the ones to find the body it starts them on a patch of investigation as to where the body came from. They realize they are stumbling on something much bigger and eventually discover that Feldman might be behind it. When they go undercover, get information from informants, they think they have Feldman nailed but instead it only gets them into more trouble. Determined to prove themselves they continue trying to get the dirt on Feldman even after suspension. They will realize that they make the best team and even with their opposite personalities they will catch their criminal.

As of recently a comedy team has been born. Sometimes they switch it up a little but Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell and more...they are like a big screen skit group. Sometimes their comedies work, and sometimes they bomb...because of their extreme over acting that feels like slapstick skit comedy. In this case Starsky and Hutch does work but mostly because of the story. Ben Stiller still acts like he's acting and it's overacting at that. He is mocking the character instead of creating it and it doesn't work well. Owen Wilson is the better of the two but then he's had a lot more experience in real action films which this should have been. Vince Vaughn is okay as the bad guy but like Stiller he seems like he's straight from a short comedy sketch. This film would have done much better with a serious cast, and more action. Still it's watchable and it's disappointing that it didn't get made as well as it could have. Snoop Dogg does a great job as Huggy Bear, although brief, he basically ends up wrapping up the whole film with his cameo which is an odd ending. It was nice that they brought in the original stars of Starsky and Hutch for cameos as well. Overall the film is okay and it could have been done differently but it's still pretty decent, worth seeing, and better than most of the comedy troupe's entries. 7/10

So Where Was Juliette Lewis?

Author: aimless-46 from Kentucky
21 June 2005

Last weekend I found a like-new "Starsky and Hutch" DVD at the local video store for $2.99. While that kind of mark-down just a few months after release is not a good sign, I decided to take a chance. I was curious about what the "Zoolander" guys would do to 1970's worst action television show. We considered David Soul's Hutch and Paul Michael Glaser's Starsky hopelessly dorky. Cruising Bay City (also the domain of great detectives Phillip Marlowe and James Rockford) with those two blow dry guys was "Welcome to Loserville".

Sometimes when I view something that is likely to be uneven and somewhat moronic, I begin by watching it backwards with the DVD player on a 7 to one scan. This means you see one second and skip the next six seconds, which with this type of movie should be enough to follow what is happening-even when happening in reverse. When something looks interesting I stop the player and watch that scene. If this happens a few times I will then start the movie at the beginning and give it a good viewing.

But this never happened with "Starsky and Hutch". It is the only bad movie in history where I went from end to beginning without detecting a pulse worth watching in real time. About the only reason for an actual viewing would be to solve the mystery of why Juliette Lewis is listed on the credits. Apparently her scenes were so abbreviated that she was never on the screen continuously for more than six seconds and my DVD player skipped all of the frames in which she appeared.

Hopefully I can sell this to someone for $1.99; it has only been played once since I bought it.

formula is familiar but entertaining

Author: Special-K88
5 May 2005

Obvious but amiable 1970s farce from the director of Old School and Road Trip about two cops, one a by the book loner trying to follow in the footsteps of his late mother (Stiller), the other a self-proclaimed realist who'll do anything to get ahead (Wilson), who are reluctantly paired together to try and solve a drug/murder case. With the help of a streetwise, smooth-talking police informant (Snoop Dogg), they must put aside their differences to try and thwart an arrogant cocaine smuggler (Vaughn). The formula has been seen time and time again, but it works thanks to a likable cast and an engaging script that doesn't require you to think too much. Wilson and Stiller are, as always, a likable duo, but the real highlight is Snoop Dogg who steals every scene he's in as Huggy Bear. **½

dumbing down of a great TV show

Author: esh04676 from United States
27 April 2005

Snoop Dogg is nearly the best thing in this slow moving action (!) buddy picture/action comedy. I got weary of Stiller's constant mugging. It's not funny, even though Stiller may have thought he was signaling the viewer that it is. Owen Wilson plays it straighter, and the end result is more satisfying. Both these actors are decent looking,and it would be great to see how they might perform with a better script and in the hands of a more imaginative director. For me the only laughs were the jailhouse scene with Will Ferrell as the prisoner being interviewed by Starsky and Hutch who tries to make a deal by getting Hutch to expose his navel. The other good moment was Snoop Dogg in his fur coat made of many colors.