IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 31: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Go and see it!! Do It Do It

Author: (RKMAXIMA02@AOL.COM) from Salem Oregon
6 March 2004

Starsky & Hutch is a great laugh out loud action comedy that delivers!! The cast is awesome. Stiller and Wilson are a dynamic duo. Snoop Dogg was a great Huggy Bear. I really could not see anyone else play the roles better than them. From beginning to end the laughter never stops. The scene that really cracked me up was the big Disco Dance Off that involved Starsky(Stiller) and of course the scenes with the ladies especially the interrogation scene with Brande Roderick and the 3-way scene with Owen Wilson, Carmen Electra, and Amy Smart. Vince Vaughn and Justin Bateman played there roles well along with Will Farrell's character as Big Earl. This movie is a must see!! You will not be disappointed. Stop reading this and go check it out DO IT DO IT!!!

The passion of the Grand Torino!!

Author: Jamie Clay from Northern California
5 March 2004

Geeeezus this was a fun movie but I have to point out I'm probably dead center of the target audience, teenagers from the 70s (who also watched the original show).

I went in expecting a total turkey (this is Hollywood's dumping season after all) and came out extremely entertained and thinking it will make a great DVD to add to the library.

I should also note I'm not a BIG Owen Wilson fan, but he is great as Hutch. The casting was perfect right down to Juliette Lewis' small but adorable role, the script was very clever and thankfully missing the low road humor that seems to have found it's way into comedies these days.

Anyway - you could wait to see this on DVD but the music score and the chase scenes with that glorious Torino flying around make this easily worth a Matinee - and if you're one of us few in the center of the intended audience, see it now.

Do it.

Author: inspector from Washington, U.S.A.
5 March 2004

If only they added a few more jokes I might have been a little more enthusiastic about this film, but sadly, it just wasn't that funny at all. This is now the second time I have seen Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson together and unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to work out. Maybe it's the writing because I do like both of them individually, just not together in a movie. When they were presenting at the Academy Award show they were a LOT funnier than in this movie and that was free. Hopefully, they will do something actually funny next time around. As Edison Carter stated in Max Headroom, "God I hate waiting for something to happen." Make sure you DON'T pay full price to see this one. I give it a 3 out of 10 for trying to be funny, the sound track and the babes.

Author: Mr__Underhill from Canada
5 March 2004

I'm going to recommend this film only for fans of the original series or 70's nostalgia enthusiasts. The rest probably won't get much out of this. The comic value or plot alone won't float it.

The good news is that few films I've seen really capture the feeling of a 70's film the way this does. Case in point: that 70's show - a show about the 70's with kids that look and act like they're living in the conservative 21st century. Clothes alone and a bit of weed don't do it for that show. Stiller as Starsky, on the other hand, is almost a dead ringer for his counterpart from the original series. This is a show with REAL cars, REAL women (in other words kinda fake...but damn good to look at), and some undefined quality known as attitude.

The real kicker is that the film often hits the mark so well that it can be a bit slow and boring. We've seen the plot many times before. Two unlikely cop partners with an irate chief who yells a lot at their unorthodox practices. Stiller plays Starsky as such a straight man (probably close to the original) so that he feels a bit constrained in the role. Most of us are probably expecting more of Ben's comic expressiveness as per Zoolander or Along Came Polly. Perhaps this shows some of his flexibility as an actor that he can look a part. Still, it would have been fun to see a bit more funkiness and extreme situations, especially on his part. A 70's film can't float on big fro's alone.

In general the film's pace and characters are very authentic, though this tends to make the film drag. The few gags did give me a chuckle, but there weren't that many of them, and the overall feeling was very dry. To put it another way, this isn't like the Austin Powers films that ridicule the 60's/70's. Aside from the few gags this film mostly is the 70's.

another tv detective series turned into a "comedy"?

Author: rockinghorse
3 March 2004

I Spy? Now Starsky and Hutch? Did anyone in these productions see the original shows? Starsky and Hutch had some moments of comic relief but it was not a comedy. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson . . . oy. Even worse than Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson as Robert Kulp and Bill Cosby. I grew up in the late 60s-early 70s. I Spy was seminal, Starsky and Hutch was routine. Doing these movies as comedies with this casting is as close to sacrilege as is possible without bringing God into it.

Insult to the Original Starsky & Hutch Series

Author: (cthebear) from Victoria
2 March 2004

I cannot believe that they would even associate this with the original Starsky & Hutch series. This wasn't anything at all like the series. It was more a spoof or a tongue-in-cheek movie.

Sure the actor that plays Starsky resembles him quite a bit, but that's as close to the original series as it gets.

Both my husband and I are big Starsky (Paul Michael Glaser) & Hutch (David Soul) fans, but this movie is the biggest disappointment that we've ever seen.

At least the Charlie's Angels movies were entertaining. But this? I want my money back.

Loads of fun! - 7 of 10

Author: deadsenator from seattle
1 March 2004

This film has great tempo and pacing. The costumes, sets, music and writing make for an energetic and witty poke at the 70's and the original Starsky and Hutch. The casting seemed spot on, but Fred Williamson sort of dried up at the wrong moments. He was good, but he could've been so much better. Perhaps more intensity. Vince does a suitable job, but certainly not his best (see Clay Pigeons or Swingers for that) and Juliette seemed wasted in the background. It's a damn shame there. But Owen and Ben make a fabulous team and the gags are just right without going over the top. All right, there was the quite funny dragon gag which, to me, seemed to fall apart towards the end. Still funny, though. Catch the dougnut tribute later, it's perfect.

Special mention should go to Snoop. Perfectly cast here, he steals some scenes with his lines and delivery. Snoop brought himself and the Huggy Bear character 'up a notch in my book. Right to number one.' No disrespect for Antonio Fargas, but I think The Dogg played this part much better. Class.

This [new] series of misadventures and gags still have me chuckling. - 7 of 10

Take it for what it is...

Author: ChasSaur from Atlantic Seaboard
27 February 2004

...a mindless, funny movie. If you're into that, then yes, definitely go see it. The audience was laughing so hard in some places that you couldn't hear the on-screen dialogue. If you're in the mood for something serious or artistic, don't spend your money on the ticket.

Stiller and Wilson are as funny as ever together. They may always play the same characters frequently (Stiller: neurotic guy, Wilson: laid-back guy), but that's because it works - they play off each other beautifully. Snoop Dogg was surprisingly funny, as were his employees at his club.

I never saw Starsky & Hutch as a child, but I almost want to see some reruns now to see how well they spoofed it!

What great fun they must have had making the film!

Author: Joni DeLaBere Grawe ( from Springfield, IL
27 February 2004

Ben and Owen must have had such fun making this film! I felt like I was part of the fun too.

Two guys getting to play with a fast car and guns and acting cool. Hilarious! Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are so much fun to watch. True mock of that seventies genre and action!

Stiller even worked in his "Morrie" character. (Hated the goofy wig though.) Geez!

The climax could have been better, but the stunts were totally comic and the Cameo at the end was really nice and feel good fun!

I saw Ben on "Behind the Actor's Studio" and see that he will also be featured this weekend on a Spotlight. He is fascinating to watch -- so funny!

Stiller and Wilson Make A Mockery of A Classic

Author: jonniebgoood from Miami, FL
27 February 2004

Starsky and Hutch was an excellent television show, but as usual Hollywood went and ruined a good thing. Ben Stiller plays the role of Starsky, and a job badly done. As usual Stiller somehow gets caught up in the "Murphy's Laws" situation. Owen Wilson, well on top of being a terrible actor, just helps in the damnation of the movie. As I watched, my friend leaned over to me, and asked me if Saturday Night Live or Lorn Michaels had anything to do with it. The answer to that is no, although the movie reminds me of one big sketch. Also as usual with Wilson and Stiller, the movie was a who knows who in order to be cast. Vince Vaughn played the part of the villain Reese Feldman, while his costar from Old School Will Ferrell played his informant Big Earl. Sidenote, Ferrell was Wilson and Stiller's costar in Zoolander, another terrible movie. I feel that these three Wilson, Stiller and Ferrell should just part ways and find other movies to do, in Wilson's case just find a different career. If I were either Paul Michael Glaser or David Soul I would be extremely upset at how horribly the movie was done. As for anyone who thought the movie or acting was good, then I will take a wild guess and say that either you are rookie moviegoers, or you have never seen the television show. Thats all for now from the peanut gallery.