IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 31: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Yawn!

Author: inspector from Washington, U.S.A.
5 March 2004

If only they added a few more jokes I might have been a little more enthusiastic about this film, but sadly, it just wasn't that funny at all. This is now the second time I have seen Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson together and unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to work out. Maybe it's the writing because I do like both of them individually, just not together in a movie. When they were presenting at the Academy Award show they were a LOT funnier than in this movie and that was free. Hopefully, they will do something actually funny next time around. As Edison Carter stated in Max Headroom, "God I hate waiting for something to happen." Make sure you DON'T pay full price to see this one. I give it a 3 out of 10 for trying to be funny, the sound track and the babes.

another tv detective series turned into a "comedy"?

Author: rockinghorse
3 March 2004

I Spy? Now Starsky and Hutch? Did anyone in these productions see the original shows? Starsky and Hutch had some moments of comic relief but it was not a comedy. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson . . . oy. Even worse than Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson as Robert Kulp and Bill Cosby. I grew up in the late 60s-early 70s. I Spy was seminal, Starsky and Hutch was routine. Doing these movies as comedies with this casting is as close to sacrilege as is possible without bringing God into it.

Insult to the Original Starsky & Hutch Series

Author: (cthebear) from Victoria
2 March 2004

I cannot believe that they would even associate this with the original Starsky & Hutch series. This wasn't anything at all like the series. It was more a spoof or a tongue-in-cheek movie.

Sure the actor that plays Starsky resembles him quite a bit, but that's as close to the original series as it gets.

Both my husband and I are big Starsky (Paul Michael Glaser) & Hutch (David Soul) fans, but this movie is the biggest disappointment that we've ever seen.

At least the Charlie's Angels movies were entertaining. But this? I want my money back.

Loads of fun! - 7 of 10

Author: deadsenator from seattle
1 March 2004

This film has great tempo and pacing. The costumes, sets, music and writing make for an energetic and witty poke at the 70's and the original Starsky and Hutch. The casting seemed spot on, but Fred Williamson sort of dried up at the wrong moments. He was good, but he could've been so much better. Perhaps more intensity. Vince does a suitable job, but certainly not his best (see Clay Pigeons or Swingers for that) and Juliette seemed wasted in the background. It's a damn shame there. But Owen and Ben make a fabulous team and the gags are just right without going over the top. All right, there was the quite funny dragon gag which, to me, seemed to fall apart towards the end. Still funny, though. Catch the dougnut tribute later, it's perfect.

Special mention should go to Snoop. Perfectly cast here, he steals some scenes with his lines and delivery. Snoop brought himself and the Huggy Bear character 'up a notch in my book. Right to number one.' No disrespect for Antonio Fargas, but I think The Dogg played this part much better. Class.

This [new] series of misadventures and gags still have me chuckling. - 7 of 10

What great fun they must have had making the film!

Author: Joni DeLaBere Grawe (ionj3602000@yahoo.com) from Springfield, IL
27 February 2004

Ben and Owen must have had such fun making this film! I felt like I was part of the fun too.

Two guys getting to play with a fast car and guns and acting cool. Hilarious! Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are so much fun to watch. True mock of that seventies genre and action!

Stiller even worked in his "Morrie" character. (Hated the goofy wig though.) Geez!

The climax could have been better, but the stunts were totally comic and the Cameo at the end was really nice and feel good fun!

I saw Ben on "Behind the Actor's Studio" and see that he will also be featured this weekend on a Spotlight. He is fascinating to watch -- so funny!

Take it for what it is...

Author: ChasSaur from Atlantic Seaboard
27 February 2004

...a mindless, funny movie. If you're into that, then yes, definitely go see it. The audience was laughing so hard in some places that you couldn't hear the on-screen dialogue. If you're in the mood for something serious or artistic, don't spend your money on the ticket.

Stiller and Wilson are as funny as ever together. They may always play the same characters frequently (Stiller: neurotic guy, Wilson: laid-back guy), but that's because it works - they play off each other beautifully. Snoop Dogg was surprisingly funny, as were his employees at his club.

I never saw Starsky & Hutch as a child, but I almost want to see some reruns now to see how well they spoofed it!

Stiller and Wilson Make A Mockery of A Classic

Author: jonniebgoood from Miami, FL
27 February 2004

Starsky and Hutch was an excellent television show, but as usual Hollywood went and ruined a good thing. Ben Stiller plays the role of Starsky, and a job badly done. As usual Stiller somehow gets caught up in the "Murphy's Laws" situation. Owen Wilson, well on top of being a terrible actor, just helps in the damnation of the movie. As I watched, my friend leaned over to me, and asked me if Saturday Night Live or Lorn Michaels had anything to do with it. The answer to that is no, although the movie reminds me of one big sketch. Also as usual with Wilson and Stiller, the movie was a who knows who in order to be cast. Vince Vaughn played the part of the villain Reese Feldman, while his costar from Old School Will Ferrell played his informant Big Earl. Sidenote, Ferrell was Wilson and Stiller's costar in Zoolander, another terrible movie. I feel that these three Wilson, Stiller and Ferrell should just part ways and find other movies to do, in Wilson's case just find a different career. If I were either Paul Michael Glaser or David Soul I would be extremely upset at how horribly the movie was done. As for anyone who thought the movie or acting was good, then I will take a wild guess and say that either you are rookie moviegoers, or you have never seen the television show. Thats all for now from the peanut gallery.

Not as funny as "Old School" but still entertaining

Author: Sean (doubledown44) from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
26 February 2004

"Starsky & Hutch" didn't have the audience rolling as much as it was when I saw "Old School," but the comedy in this movie was pretty consistent. There a was a laugh, or at least a chuckle, every minute or so. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were great. I had seen "Along Came Polly" a few weeks before and Stiller seemed to have much more fun making "Starsky & Hutch" than he did "Polly." And now that I mention "Polly," I would like to mention how refreshing it was that "Starsky & Hutch" was NOT filled with Sophomoric gross-out humor. The crowd I attended the screening with was extremely young and not once did anyone seem to miss all of the gross-out jokes that seem to pass for entertainment these days (I'm talking to you "Van Wilder," American Pie," "Saving Silverman" and other movies that don't even have Jason Biggs or Tara Reid). Snoop was really funny in a (too) small role. However, the only problem I had was that Vince Vaughn was under-utilized and it felt like he was holding back. I'm a big fan of his and I would like to have seen more of the manic energy he brings to the MTV sketches (during award shows). Otherwise, it's a pretty good time at the movies - provided you keep your expectations at a reasonable level.

don't have to be 40, just an "old school" fan

Author: snottecato (snottecato@aol.com) from Goleta, CA
24 February 2004

Listen, this movie has absolutely NOTHING for fans of the television show. Unless you count getting to see the original stars at the end which seems more like a token gesture for out of work actors than anything else. It was kind of pointless. I am guessing the only reason Todd Phillips chose this show to make a movie out of was because he could put two of the funniest guys in the world in a buddy cop movie (which opens up pretty much any comedic options) AND there was an obvious part for the masterful thespian, Snoop Dogg, whom he worked with in Old School. He was great as Huggy Bear by the way. But again, he wasn't really supposed to be Huggy Bear. He was Snoop Dogg. Owen Wilson wasn't Hutch, he was Owen Wilson. Thank god for that. If you really liked the show and are looking for a serious remake, don't look here. If you are under 30 and thought pretty much every moment of old school was hilarious, get to this film immediately. My only complaint was that Vince Vaughn was given a sub- par character and not enough screen time. Everyone in this movie is frickin funny as hell though, and this is probably the funniest I have seen Ben Stiller since Zoolander. It seems like there is a backlash against this movie before it has even come out with people saying it was going to be a letdown. Sorry, it is most definitely not. Highly recommended if you have a sense of humor.

Saw this Last night - Sun 22nd Feb

Author: aland49 from Dublin, Ireland
23 February 2004

Well, it was the surprise movie at the Dublin International Film Festival on closing night last night. One of the first in the world to see it, so we were told.

For fans of the tv show, this is completely different. At times I was watching Starsky (Ben Stiller) and thinking Zoolander. On the whole, I must say that after adjusting to the 'change' in stlye from the original tv show, I really enjoyed this movie. It was funny, very funny in places. It was well worth the entrance fee, and I would recommend it.

Favourite moments included the scenes with the famous car, with Ben Stiller in a Travolta dance scene (Hilarious), Snoop as Huggy and the cameos.

I was constantly waiting for Cpt Doby to scream at the boys, but it never came. Other than that, the experience was a good one and I'd give the movie a solid 8/10.

I wont say anymore. Enjoy!

Alan