IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 31: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A wit? Only half...

Author: laadolf from Snohomish, WA USA
22 July 2004

Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller are likable fellows and good at what they do. They give this film their best shot, and it has its moments. But overall, this movie is neither fish nor fowl--torn between being a straightforward homage to the old show, or a comedy, it really accomplishes neither.

Yes, I am an old S&H fan from when the show first aired. Loved the camaraderie, the sense of fun, yet serious story telling the original show was famous for. Perhaps it doesn't translate well 25 or so years later, but that doesn't excuse Hollywood's lame tendency to mine 70's TV shows for parody material.

For me, the only time the film really came alive was at the end where the new duo meet the old pros. Sad to say, while their successors do not, Paul and David still have the magic--that scene was priceless. Watching the DVD deleted scenes and gag reel, and finding at least one other scene the two were in made me sad it too didn't end up in the final cut. It was funnier than anything in the preceding two hours. The old joke from the show about the Torino being a tomato not a car resonated with this old fan.

I wanted to do more than chuckle occasionally during this film, but that was about all I managed. Some things don't need to be remade but need to stay in their own time with their original cast. A better idea might have been to take the old concept, and try to modernize it--but even then, some things are just best left alone.

Amazingly surprised

Author: mmphisdave2004 from memphis, TN
28 May 2004

I won the tickets to this see this film. I wasn't sure if I wanted to waste my time on it. I finally decided to and I was surprised. I actually enjoyed it.

They did a smart thing in the beginning of the film. They introduced the characters for those people who were not familiar with them. I thought the casting was great. I mean, Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were great in the parts, as for Snoop Dogg, he was brilliant.

It was great from the beginning. I mean the chase scenes to the hot chicks. I even found it hysterical when Owen sang the same song that his predecessor sang himself. Overall the movie was good.

I would give it a six out of ten.

The Zoolander Boys Fall Short of Expectation (minor SPOILERS)

Author: laurana75 from Manila, Philippines
20 May 2004

Maybe it's because of the limitations set by translating a well-known TV show to screen. Maybe they're really better off as male models than as cops. Or maybe Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson should give their duo a rest. For the meantime at least. I was quite disappointed by Starsky & Hutch, seeing as I was practically laughing my head off at Zoolander (yes, even when I see the screenings on Cinemax), while Meet the Parents and The Royal Tenenbaums were also entertaining. Maybe I really can't see the homages to the TV show as I wasn't really aware of television when I was an infant/toddler.

The plot, involving cocaine that can't be detected, and the transformation of Starsky and Hutch's partnership from being at each others' throats to being friends (haven't we seen this before? Zoolander, maybe?), seems quite thin. Okay, so there are a lot of capers along the way but somehow it could have been done better. The funniest scenes for me involved Starsky in an undetectable-cocaine induced high, seeing cartoon birds while Hutch sings "Don't Give Up On Us, Baby," and then entering a dance-off.

Vince Vaughn is a creepy jerk as the druglord, while Juliette Lewis is underused as his bubbly mistress. Will Ferell's cameo as the perverted inmate/informant was also a funny turn; and Snoop Dogg as the streetwise informant Huggy Bear is a delicious turn, threatening to steal the movie from Stiller and Wilson. Granted, these two are obviously enjoying themselves while the acting is going on and their chemistry is what carries the movie. However, it seems to be nowhere near the sheer mirth of Zoolander, which remains the quintessential Stiller-Wilson film to date.

What were they thinking???

Author: britfin from Finland
22 April 2004

What were they thinking when they made this movie? What were they thinking when they wrote this movie, Stevie Long ? The characters were dull and uninteresting, the plotline was thin and I wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to go and see it. I can't believe that anyone thought this was funny! I had more laughs watching "The Ring". The only joke in this movie that I can come up with was played on the movie goers, getting them to pay to go and see this monumental waste of money and time. The best piece of acting was played by the car and stunt driver(s). I feel sad for the the original series writers and their families, to be associated with this sham.

Nostalgic fun

Author: doras33 from St. Paul, MN
9 April 2004

Todd Phillips take on the classic television series is a retro nostalgic look at the style and fun of the 70's. Ben Stiller does a funny and classy job as Starsky and Owen Wilson is great as Hutch. Their chemistry makes this movie as fun as it is with their great timing and fun outlook at the material they have. They were great together in zoolander, and they tear it up again in this film. Snoop Dogg is great as Huggy Bear and does steal the movie a little with his performance, and Vince Vaughn is great as the typical retro 70's villain with mustache in tow. The Direction by Todd Phillips stays in line with the flashy style that made that bygone time such a memorable one, and the look of the film stays with the tone that was the bench mark of the series. Look for Will Ferrel to make guest appearance in this movie as a prison inmate, and look for Carmen Electra as a cheerleader who falls in love with the guys.

silly, harmless fun

Author: katiepoppycat from Leeds, West Yorkshire
8 April 2004

**SPOILER**

Let me start by saying that I was too young for the original series. Therefore, I'm in no position to to criticise this film in relation to what i thought it was going to be, or how it compares to the original. I really enjoyed the performances of Stiller and Wilson in Zoolander, and that was my primary reason for going to see this film. And I wasn't disappointed. I laughed myself silly all the way through, from Hutch's bookie rip off, right up to the appearance from the original actors, which was a little wasted on me, and indeed practically everyone in the showing that i went to, but was still great. I was amused by the blatant attempts to keep the boys interested - ladies kissing, ladies stripping, cheerleaders - which really wasn't necessary as the film had enough laughs to carry it right through. I really liked the homage to Zoolander in the 'dance off' and Stillers performance as the uptight cop turned coke fuelled dancing queen was extremely funny.

And one last thing, whether they know it or not, they definitely have a 'thing' for each other. It's presented, not even as a subtext, but as a fact. There could have been a temptation to make this a joke, but it's actually treated quite sensitively. When Hutch forgives Starsky and he bursts into tears, everyone in the cinema went 'ahhhhh' as Hutch hugged his partner and patted his back sympathetically. In a rather tough ex mining community in the North East, that's quite something.

Fun and dull at the same time...

Author: jantoniou from California
27 March 2004

This obvious vehicle for another Stiller/Wilson pairing generally falls flat and is probably a good pick when you want to make it a "Blockbuster night." Give it maybe two months and you'll no doubt see this vague attempt at a popcorn flick on the shelves.

Both Stiller and Wilson's particular brands of schtick are wearing thin in this movie. Wilson is virtually transparent comedically in every movie he's been in--Meet the Parents, Shanghai Knights, Zoolander, etc. You cannot discern his acting/comedic style changing even one iota from one movie to the next. He has a natural Southern charm, nonchalance, and delivery that is often hilarious, but seems tired in this movie.

Stiller does a better job as the over-the-top-cop David Starsky, but this is also a typical Stiller character. The basic problem with Stiller in this kind of role is you expect him to be funny. You can anticipate just about everything he is going to do on screen. The characteristic idiosyncrasies that made us laugh in "Meet the Parents" are out for display here and it's all, well, "Stiller-esque" (oddly enough, much like his father, Jerry, who is also substantially a one-note actor).

This flaw in Stiller's style becomes particularly obvious when you see the funniest part at the end, when he's playing a true character, the ostentatious Jewish Floridian that shows up at the bad guy's party. The fact that this is actually funnier than Starsky himself, his "real" character, shows that Stiller is funnier when he releases himself completely to the character rather than trying to play a character-as-Ben-Stiller character. Back in the days when he did sketch comedy on the "The Ben Stiller Show" on HBO shows that he has much better comedic style when he's losing himself in the role rather than trying to be as funny as people think he is.

Vince Vaughn probably does the best turn in the movie and Snoop Dogg deserves some respect for what is probably the funniest role, Huggy Bear.

Personally, I'd save your $8-$12 and wait for the DVD. Hopefully they'll be some outtakes on it.

So funny!

Author: MooVChic84 from Georgia
18 March 2004

"Starsky and Hutch" was a great movie! It was so funny. I loved every minute of it. I found it thoroughly entertaining and, to me, it's one of those "feel-good" movies. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are such a great team. I've seen all of the seven movies they've been in together and they work so well together. They enjoyed making this movie and it shows. This movie kept me laughing. It was a great comedy. I liked how a cop who is by-the-book and follows the rules (Starsky) was paired up with a cop who's always wanting to catch the bad guys and is always late (Hutch). Once they're partners you know they're gonna drive each other crazy. They're probably gonna end up hating each other and wanting to kill each other. But they become friends and make up when they have a breakdown. And I think the fact that Ben and Owen really are friends made the movie more enjoyable to watch. Yeah, there were scenes that seemed to drag on a bit and there were scenes that weren't funny but this movie was fully entertaining. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for reading my review.

Go and see it!! Do It Do It

Author: (RKMAXIMA02@AOL.COM) from Salem Oregon
6 March 2004

Starsky & Hutch is a great laugh out loud action comedy that delivers!! The cast is awesome. Stiller and Wilson are a dynamic duo. Snoop Dogg was a great Huggy Bear. I really could not see anyone else play the roles better than them. From beginning to end the laughter never stops. The scene that really cracked me up was the big Disco Dance Off that involved Starsky(Stiller) and of course the scenes with the ladies especially the interrogation scene with Brande Roderick and the 3-way scene with Owen Wilson, Carmen Electra, and Amy Smart. Vince Vaughn and Justin Bateman played there roles well along with Will Farrell's character as Big Earl. This movie is a must see!! You will not be disappointed. Stop reading this and go check it out DO IT DO IT!!!

The passion of the Grand Torino!!

Author: Jamie Clay from Northern California
5 March 2004

Geeeezus this was a fun movie but I have to point out I'm probably dead center of the target audience, teenagers from the 70s (who also watched the original show).

I went in expecting a total turkey (this is Hollywood's dumping season after all) and came out extremely entertained and thinking it will make a great DVD to add to the library.

I should also note I'm not a BIG Owen Wilson fan, but he is great as Hutch. The casting was perfect right down to Juliette Lewis' small but adorable role, the script was very clever and thankfully missing the low road humor that seems to have found it's way into comedies these days.

Anyway - you could wait to see this on DVD but the music score and the chase scenes with that glorious Torino flying around make this easily worth a Matinee - and if you're one of us few in the center of the intended audience, see it now.

Do it.