IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Both successful and unsuccessful

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
30 December 2013

Starsky and Hutch are two mismatched California cops who seek to take down a crime boss with a big drug deal forthcoming.

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, accompanied by assorted members of the usual suspects, wear the clothing familiar to anyone who watched the iconic 1970s buddy cop TV series, drive around in the iconic Ford Torino with red and white paint job, call themselves Starsky and Hutch, and associate with people who call themselves Captain Dobie and Huggy Bear. And they generate a moderate quota of laughs as they do so.

What they don't do is capture any element of what made the TV series successful. In particular, while Stiller and Wilson have chemistry, it's nothing like the chemistry between Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul, as is obvious when the originals put in a cameo on screen with their replacements.

If you want to see an action comedy, you may well enjoy it. If you want to see a modern updating of Starsky and Hutch, steer clear - because this isn't it.

One of the Best!

Author: newfiesailor from Canada
10 September 2006

This is one of the greatest comedies out there. This movie never takes itself serious and is a laugh a minute. The flick has no mean spiritedness whatsoever and thrives on the chemistry between Stiller and Wilson. Also some great performances from Snoop Dog, Will Ferrell and Fred Williamson.

I never laughed at at a movie so hard since Scary Movie 2. Great intro as Starsky's by the book character comes to clash with Wilson's slacker attitude. What it promises is a laugh-fest for the next hour and a half. I cannot sing this movie's praises high enough. Go and see it for pure zaniness and foolishness of it all.

Stiller and Wilson hit a home run!

Author: emgmpg from United States
6 March 2006

As an avid TV viewer back in the 1970's I didn't know what to expect of the Starsky & Hutch movie. But as soon as the movie started I knew I was in for another fun-loving Stiller (Starksy) and Wilson (Hutch) comedy ride. These guys are just so funny together that you can laugh just looking at them. Very funny scene stealer's by the talented Will Ferrell as Big Earl. Vince Vaughn joins the fun as the villain Reese Feldman. The funniest laughs are at the cheerleader practice and follow up date with (Amy Smart and Carmen Electra), the 70's disco dance off and the Mime scene. A lot of laughs overall in this Nostalgic look back at one of the 70's super cop shows.

They fixed the car

Author: mrh274 from Australia
12 February 2006

I was very tentative about seeing this movie having loved the original series, but just wanting to see the "Striped Tomatoe" going through it's paces again was my downfall. Another Stiller/Wilson collaboration is what it the movie was for me (very disappointing)...but it did prompt me to invest in the original series DVD sets which I enjoyed throughly and recommend.

However, being a self confessed petrolhead I was appalled at the handling of the Gran Torino in original series(I didn't remember it being that bad, but I was just a kid). So I'll give the the movie a 5 out of 10 just for sorting out the handling of the car and the stunt work. But this movie is really only for Stiller/Wilson fans.

Owen "Starsky" Wilson & Ben "Hutch" Stiller ! Neat !

Author: what3v3r
4 January 2006

We knew that these two could work well. But how well? Watch Starsky & Hutch to find out. Todd Philips scores most his points with the well working cast of Wilson & Stiller. The two, playing cops while also paying tribute to the 1970s TV show, embark on a hilarious attempt to bust a hi-fi drug deal set to hit their beloved town. Wilson plays a laid back "hippy" style cop not afraid to venture towards the other side of the law if need be while Stiller plays a by-the-book strict ass cop who lets the strobes do most the talking . Fabulous entertainment all through the 100+ minutes with bonny dames, curvaceous allures, some not so k-9-friendly dope, a headlong drug trafficker played by Vince Vaughn , 70s style comedy and some seasoning. The seasoning however is worth an extra mention which comes in the form of Huggy Bear played by Snoop Dogg and played very much in the "Snoop" style.

Although based on a previous TV show, it definitely is not an odd parody. Instead one could deem this a fitting tribute to to that very TV show. However, this movie is definitely a lot more laughs if you haven't watched the TV show or if you wouldn't relate to it. Thats pretty much the case with all adaptations. The movie is never good as the book , the movie is never as good as the real thing, blah blah blah . End of the day, Starsky & Hutch is definitely worth the greenbacks.

Kinda fun, but that's about all...

Author: shabulia from United States
1 January 2006

Let me just say this is not a "Starsky and Hutch" movie. This is a Stiller and Wilson movie. It just wears the Starsky and Hutch costume. And it wears it well.

This is what a fun night at the movies is all about. Just good, old fashioned entertainment. I had a lot of laugh out loud moments and enjoyed what I was watching, but it isn't memorable. Just good old fun.

While the 70's flair gives this movie some funny,in joke moments, it does little more. This movie could have easily been made into a modern day film. And without Stiller and Wilson (great comic duo genius) this movie would not have been the same. Most notable would be Snoop's portrayal of comic insider, Huggy Bear. His moments were some of the best in the movie.

I had fun and would recommend this movie to people looking to enjoy a night at the movies, but don't expect it to knock your socks off, like Zoolander.

Another 70's TV show remake for no reason

Author: noizyme from Escondido, CA
31 August 2005

Starsky and Hutch was released to home audiences before my time, but what I remember about them and their show it the quick action-packed shots of them rolling, jumping, flipping, shooting, and sending their car into outer space for no reason. Just a lot of visuals to force the excitement of the moment down the audience's throat. I don't know why or where the idea of making it into a film came into play around 2004, but it did, and here's how it went.

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson and Starsky and Hutch (respectively). They are undercover cops who end up getting the bad guys only after displaying some uniquely bumbling heroics with goofy face routines. That's what this movie tries to paint the hard, rough-n-tumble cops off as. The whole face thing is pretty disturbing (Stiller's visage throughout the whole movie is one of uncertainty and confusion as he runs, shoots, etc.) Wilson is used to playing a cool underdog who respected lesser men in his movies, and this movie's no exception as you see him develop a friendship for a neighborhood boy and get all the ladies to fall in love with him...ho hum. Snoop Dogg appears in this film (around the same time he did "Soul Plane") as an informant of the streets who let's Hutch in major drug deals and the like. Amy Smart and Carmen Electra play the bimbos who are after the two men after the undercover duo ask them for information on a drug deal which Vince Vaughn (also a regular in the "Stiller/Wilson Players") is arranging with ex-"Silver Spoons" actor Jason Bateman at his side. And Will Ferrell has a part in this, too, as a motorcycle gangster, who proceeds to tell Starsky and Hutch whose drug deal it is, only after a little naughty posing for the "Dragon-man" himself.

This movie was OK. It probably will only get laughs about the 1st through 3rd time watching it. After seeing what other potential Will Ferrll, Owen Wilson, Amy Smart, and Snoop Dogg have, you get a sense of this movie just another excuse to blow a lot of money to make a somewhat entertaining, nonsensical summer film for audiences to waste their money on. The characters were great (although Carmen Electra's and Snoop Dogg's hit a little close to home), and they incorporated great fashion into the movie as a good character-comedy should. They had great songs in-between shots (even if the actors have an obsession with the "Afternoon Delight" song...it was greatly featured in Ron Burgundy: Anchorman), and there was a great sequence on dancing while Stiller's Starsky was on coke. There's also a hilarious, out-of-nowhere car scene which doesn't end up like you think, which added a little bit to the comedy.

I didn't like a few things which brought my vote down to a 5/10. I really didn't like the movie portrayed as a comedy. That was a killer 70's action show, which would've been greatly improved if they would've kept it close to the original (especially if they kept the directing the same to give it that TV feel of the 70s). I don't know how comedic the original show was, but I guess that came from the cheesiness of the show's reputation than anything. And were they always bumbling heroes? That bothered me that they weren't all that serious about getting their guy every time like I thought they would be.

So rent it. You'll like it if you like any comedy and if you can forgive seeing Snoop Dogg in a type-casted role and all the unnecessary dancing and B.S. that comes with the cast in this movie.

Not a patch on the original Stasky and Hutch

Author: lottielamb6 from United Kingdom
25 August 2005

Enjoyable=yes better than the original=no way

I enjoyed this film as I loved the original TV series, but yet something didn't seem quite right with the story. It shows how the two detectives became partners but it just doesn't do the original series much justice. If anything, it takes the mickey, almost like a spoof, but the character of huggy bear is thoroughly enjoyable.

Starsky (Ben Stiller) and Hutch (Owen Wilson) are determined to catch a cocaine dealer in the act but fail repeatedly, which makes the film enjoyable. They meet 'Big Earl', a man in prison who can lead them to the dealer, but does it work? Guess.

Exceeded expectations

Author: Steve H from Perth, Australia
4 June 2005

Not having expected very much at all, I was pleasantly surprised with this one. All the main elements needed of a film in this genre were pretty decent, I thought. The plot was Okay -- hardly brilliant, but that's not what this type of film is about, and it there was at least some originality. Captured the period well in terms of look, certainly, and in terms of the feel, pretty well. Pace and amount of action was good -- not too much, not too little. It was a good satire of this type of series, without getting ridiculous about trying to satire every thing just for the sake of it -- if you get me.

The humor, though, was what saved it from being average, for me. Vince Vaughn is a seriously good comedic actor in my view. So dead pan -- executes his lines to perfection much of the time. Just love it when he is given the right script to work with. Owen Wilson ... well, much the same, even though with a totally different quirkiness to his humor. Both are very unique. It is a treat to watch them work together. While some of the humor in Starsky & Hutch is obvious, to the point of being annoyingly staged (nothing unusual there), the humor in the film I enjoyed most was very subtle. It was in the execution of the lines, dead-pan reaction to the ridiculous.

I guess the need for the ridiculous element is what makes Ben Stiller a handy actor in a film like this one). Not a great fan of his comedic skills, but he is certainly a likable character (even if the character he plays is usually pretty much the same.

All in all, worth watching, particularly if you're in the right frame of mind.

Fairly Entertaining But Nothing Special

Author: callanvass
27 April 2005

This is a fairly entertaining film but nothing special. It had a few funny moments, and Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were a good pair, however, it's rather unfunny,and predictable, plus, i really don't like the new trend of comedy(except for Hitch and Meet The Fockers). I wasn't expecting much, and that's exactly what i got not much, while the cameos by Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul were very cool, i just didn't find the movie that great, and a little overrated. The movie is worth the watch, and a lot of people really enjoyed this however,while i had an okay time with it was nothing special and it could have been a lot better. The Direction was decent. Todd Phillips does a decent job here with some cool camera work,and angles, but it was nothing special, however the pace was fine. The Acting is very good. Ben Stiller is excellent as usual,he is hilarious,likable, had awesome chemistry with Owen Wilson, and was fun to watch, he is one of the funniest guys out there!. Owen Wilson is good here, while he gets on my nerves sometimes, he was pretty funny for the most part, and had awesome chemistry with Stiller. Vince Vaughn, is decent as the main villain, but not a huge fan for the most part. Snoop Dogg was decent here, and did his job rather well. Juliette Lewis is gorgeous, and is one of my favorite actresses, but is utterly wasted here and given nothing to do!. Fred Williamson is good here as the Captain, and added some good laughs to the film. Jason Bateman was okay here, and nothing more. Carmen Electra and Amy Smart are GORGEOUS, but are also wasted, and only here to give us viewers eye candy. Overall Worth a rent, but i really didn't like it all that much, fairly entertaining but nothing more.