IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Disappointing.

Author: k h from United States
28 February 2004

I was kind of looking forward to this, and I'm sad to say that it's not very funny.

Ben Stiller is once again Ben Stiller, and Owen Wilson has his usual red-eyed-I may have been smoking before they yelled action- delivery that can make some dumb lines kind of funny, but other than that there's not much there there.

Snoop Doggy is actually the scene stealer here. Vince Vaugn seems miscast.

I liked the car a lot, but as I was waiting for it to end I kept thinking that this is what they mean by the January/February movie doldrums.

I'd give it four stars.

Yet another Stiller turkey.

Author: co010c6650 from Fife
8 June 2008

The TV series was classic stuff so there was no way I was going to avoid giving this a look but having been unfortunate enough to have witnessed a number of Ben Stiller 'comedies' (virtually all of which have been unwatchable) in the past, it would be the understatement of the millennium to suggest I tuned into this effort with a fair amount of scepticism. It wasn't misplaced as this is truly awful and makes we wonder even more how Stiller has ever been able to earn a living as a comedy actor (The fact that American audiences have an unerring ability to laugh at absolutely anything might have something to do with it).

To complement Stiller's Starsky, we have the equally dreadful, unfunny and charisma-free Owen Wilson as Hutch, whose smugness, cheesy grin and awful voice has allowed him to take over the mantle from Jim Carrey as Hollywood's most annoying (and unfunny) comedy actor. As if the gruesome twosome weren't enough to contend with, we are also subjected to a smug, self-satisfied non-performance by rap singer Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear (quite why the words 'rap' and 'singer' belong in the same sentence is another mystery to me).

The biggest mystery of all is, of course, how this puerile pile of tedious dross ever saw the light of day.

Lost Time

Author: apteryx05 from New Zealand
23 September 2007

Another 101 minutes of my life I will never get back. What a waste of my time and perfectly good film. To say this movie sucks would be a gross understatement. I cannot for the life me figure out how a talent like Julilett Lewis would involve herself with a dismal failure such as this. I've come to expect as much from actors such as Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, but this sucks the big one. I won't even dignify a comment about "Snoop Dog." Who told this rapper he could act? All in all a complete waste of time and popcorn. Someone should tell Hollywood that resurrecting crappy 1970's sitcoms and making them into movies doesn't cut the mustard. What's next? Dukes of Hazard III???

Recreation of the series or just a dumb action-comedy?

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
8 July 2007

Misguided theatrical version of the hit TV series from the '70s, this "Starsky & Hutch" isn't well-equipped with the right materials to make it successful as updated nostalgia (it's just another brainless cop flick with comedic asides). One thing is certain, the tough-yet-tender-hearted TV cops never engaged in sexual shenanigans like this, nor did they ever freak out on cocaine (at a disco!). This film (with Hutch initially playing both sides of the law) is deliberately cheesy and does manage to get some details right, but it is also muddled, offensive, overlong, and not big on genuine laughs. Ben Stiller does commendable work, Snoop Dogg is good as Huggy Bear, but Owen Wilson is just winging it. It's hard to blame the actors anyway, street-tough crime fighters being way out of fashion. * from ****

As tasty as flat soda

Author: FilmFan777 from Hollywood, California
29 August 2004

This was not funny, this was not creative. This was only a waste of time.

Really like Stiller, yet that isnt even enough to save this hunk of junk from the boredom pile. Only because his name was attached as well as the 'disguising' by calling up the name of 'Starsky and Hutch', along with a couple of other half somebodies is the only reason this thing got a green light.

You can see Wilson playing Wilson here like every other thing he does. Same with Vince, whom I like yet has shown the same ability to stretch as a copper penny. And yea, dont like to say but this really wasnt a stretch for Stiller as well. Oh, except maybe the fact they all took a cool show of the past and made a complete fool of themselves. I mean, if your going to make a dramatic yet wielding soft humored series into something...at least dont make it 'stupid'. Who ever gave this thing the green light needs to be checked for color blindness.

I like silly too yet, at least make it funny. Is that too much to ask these days?

I guess so.

Not cool, not funny, not worth your while!

Author: Dan from Watsonville, California
23 March 2004

This movie fails in humor. Other than the pony scene, there is nothing funny about it. There is no valid satire, no valid irony, no decent acting--except perhaps Snoop Dogg's efforts. The overall reflection of values--the view of police, of women, of authority--speaks to the worst in our society. Ben Stiller has disappointed in virtually every film we've seen--do not understand why Hollywood continues to feature him. Owen Williams gave a respectable performance, but the vehicle is so poorly done that he cannot save it. Snoop Dogg gave a decent performance as well--something of a surprise. This movie was a complete and total waste of money and time. Do what we should have done--skip it.

Snoop Dog saves the day

Author: McQualude from North Carolina
25 July 2004

Snoop Dog saves the day and not just in the plot, he is the shining star of the whole movie. Starsky & Hutch the movie is not entertaining, Starsky & Hutch the characters are not entertaining. Stiller & Owen bomb in just about every way possible... the dialogue isn't funny, the skits aren't funny, the intended drama isn't very dramatic and just like Starsky, the movie just keeps falling down.

If anyone tells you this movie is funny, they are lying. Maybe if you find juvenile gay jokes funny, this movie is for you because that's all the comedy there is. Well, the disco scene was almost funny, I think my daughter laughed a little bit. The girls are a nice dressing on an otherwise bland and forgetable salad.

"Good Action-Comedy!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
30 April 2014

Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Snoop Dogg, Vince Vaughn, Jason Bateman, Juliette Lewis, Amy Smart, Carmen Electra and Fred Williamson star in this 2004 action-comedy based on the TV series. This takes place in the 70's where we cops, David Starsky (Stiller) and Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson (Wilson) who become partners. They find a murdered thug and learn he was working for drug-dealer, Reese Feldman (Vaughn). Starsky & Hutch go after Feldman who is making a big drug deal during a benefit. Rapper, Dogg plays underworld boss & police informant, Huggy Bear, Bateman (Dodgeball) plays Feldman's partner, Kevin, Lewis (Natural Born Killers) plays Feldman's mistress, Kitty, Williamson (From Dusk Till Dawn) plays police Captain, Doby and Smart (Road Trip) & Electra (Scary Movie) play cheerleaders, Holly & Staci. Will Ferrell (Elf) appears uncredited as Feldman's former associate, Big Earl, The late, Chris Penn (Reservoir Dogs) appears as obnoxious cop, Manetti and original stars, David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser also make cameos. This is a good action-comedy and Stiller & Wilson are great together as usual. I recommend this.

Both successful and unsuccessful

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
30 December 2013

Starsky and Hutch are two mismatched California cops who seek to take down a crime boss with a big drug deal forthcoming.

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, accompanied by assorted members of the usual suspects, wear the clothing familiar to anyone who watched the iconic 1970s buddy cop TV series, drive around in the iconic Ford Torino with red and white paint job, call themselves Starsky and Hutch, and associate with people who call themselves Captain Dobie and Huggy Bear. And they generate a moderate quota of laughs as they do so.

What they don't do is capture any element of what made the TV series successful. In particular, while Stiller and Wilson have chemistry, it's nothing like the chemistry between Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul, as is obvious when the originals put in a cameo on screen with their replacements.

If you want to see an action comedy, you may well enjoy it. If you want to see a modern updating of Starsky and Hutch, steer clear - because this isn't it.

One of the Best!

Author: newfiesailor from Canada
10 September 2006

This is one of the greatest comedies out there. This movie never takes itself serious and is a laugh a minute. The flick has no mean spiritedness whatsoever and thrives on the chemistry between Stiller and Wilson. Also some great performances from Snoop Dog, Will Ferrell and Fred Williamson.

I never laughed at at a movie so hard since Scary Movie 2. Great intro as Starsky's by the book character comes to clash with Wilson's slacker attitude. What it promises is a laugh-fest for the next hour and a half. I cannot sing this movie's praises high enough. Go and see it for pure zaniness and foolishness of it all.