IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Not as good as the TV show and that was bad

Author: jsorenson777 from Japan
18 April 2008

This Starsky and Hutch caricature just doesn't work as a comedy (or as a caricature). It is off-kilter a few degrees in all respects. One of the many thoroughly forgettable films being churned out steadily these days. The film probably made money which is a non-tribute to the viewing public. The acting, directing, cinematography and editing are all mediocre at best. In a proper world all profits would be given to charity and the people involved would be horsewhipped for about ten minutes and sent off with a warning that the next time the punishment will be much worse. Being that this is not a proper world they will most likely buy a lot of coke and backpat each other around swimming pools.

Bad remake

Author: Luis Capote (lcapote@hotmail.com) from La Laguna, España
30 August 2007

I have a very good remembrance from the original series. I don't know if those remembers will be destroyed if I'd watch again an episode. But I had preferred the idea of David Soul than this horrible picture. Stiller and Wilson are two of the worst actors I ever watched in a picture. Maybe the first could be an acceptable Starsky, but the second made a very stupid Hutch. At last, this is a very good example about how to destroy a good idea. To tell you the truth, I think the film has many good points. Seventies background, for example, is good: cars, clothes, caracterization of support actors... But the big problem is Stiller and Wilson.

Truly, Truly awful - Please don't waste your time

Author: stefank60 from United Kingdom
6 April 2007

This will be very, very brief.

Sarahjmarquis, Mike and Dr. Gore all sum it up quite nicely.

This is a truly, truly awful, pathetic film that has nothing - I mean 100% nothing.

It's not funny (I lasted 49 minutes before I could take no more), it's not entertaining, it's not interesting - IT HAS NOTHING.

Please do not waste your time watching this - nobody can give you that time back (and you will wish they could).

I really don't understand how makers of a film can sit back , see a finished product like this and think it's worth putting out there.

btw why does the voting here not allow you to select 0 ? This garbage certainly isn't worth a 1 !! I can't be bothered wasting any more of my time writing about this pointless drivel of a mess of a film.

It could have been great

Author: Sjhm from United Kingdom
20 July 2006

This is terrible. One of the worst movies I think I have ever seen. It is bad in every possible way. The original series for its time was actually quite challenging, and exciting. Watching reruns on satellite, I am now enjoying it all over again, and I realise just exactly how awful this film is. One tiny bright spot, Snoop Dogg is a worthy successor to Antonio Vargas. However, the lame script lets him down badly. I expected better of Owen Wilson, but somehow this weak witted stuff is precisely Ben Stiller's level. One question I do have, do the script writers actually believe that shooting a child's pony dead in a garage is in any way amusing? It isn't.

Name one good movie whit Ben Stiller in it. This is not it.

Author: themanager from Finland
31 March 2004

This movie is awful! It has nothing to do whit the TV series other than original star cameo and the car. The whole movie is just Ben Stiller BS that would be expected as a bridge between scenes but the plot scenes are the bridge between these boring and un funny "comedy" bits. PLEASE! Snoop Dogs character is the star of this movie and steals every scene. I gave this turkey 2 points, 1 for the movie, 1 for Snoop Dog AND just for Carmen Electra being in it.

(I hope the DVD features deleted scenes of Carmen whit swim suit optional footage :)

Bad - very bad

Author: Cassiel from U.S.A.
5 March 2004

Wow... This was bad. Even the 70's music that they chose was mostly bad. Even the watered down version of the classic "Gotcha" theme song was bad - how could they mess that up?

I loved the original series, and this movie was a major, major letdown. The only highpoint for me were the "two cameo appearances" towards the end. Still, although that was a thrill, it does not redeem a truly awful and unfunny film. Thankfully, it is so bad that it doesn't ruin the experience of the original series. Save your money and time on this horrible film and go buy the DVDs of the classic original series.

Disappointing.

Author: k h from United States
28 February 2004

I was kind of looking forward to this, and I'm sad to say that it's not very funny.

Ben Stiller is once again Ben Stiller, and Owen Wilson has his usual red-eyed-I may have been smoking before they yelled action- delivery that can make some dumb lines kind of funny, but other than that there's not much there there.

Snoop Doggy is actually the scene stealer here. Vince Vaugn seems miscast.

I liked the car a lot, but as I was waiting for it to end I kept thinking that this is what they mean by the January/February movie doldrums.

I'd give it four stars.

Yet another Stiller turkey.

Author: co010c6650 from Fife
8 June 2008

The TV series was classic stuff so there was no way I was going to avoid giving this a look but having been unfortunate enough to have witnessed a number of Ben Stiller 'comedies' (virtually all of which have been unwatchable) in the past, it would be the understatement of the millennium to suggest I tuned into this effort with a fair amount of scepticism. It wasn't misplaced as this is truly awful and makes we wonder even more how Stiller has ever been able to earn a living as a comedy actor (The fact that American audiences have an unerring ability to laugh at absolutely anything might have something to do with it).

To complement Stiller's Starsky, we have the equally dreadful, unfunny and charisma-free Owen Wilson as Hutch, whose smugness, cheesy grin and awful voice has allowed him to take over the mantle from Jim Carrey as Hollywood's most annoying (and unfunny) comedy actor. As if the gruesome twosome weren't enough to contend with, we are also subjected to a smug, self-satisfied non-performance by rap singer Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear (quite why the words 'rap' and 'singer' belong in the same sentence is another mystery to me).

The biggest mystery of all is, of course, how this puerile pile of tedious dross ever saw the light of day.

Lost Time

Author: apteryx05 from New Zealand
23 September 2007

Another 101 minutes of my life I will never get back. What a waste of my time and perfectly good film. To say this movie sucks would be a gross understatement. I cannot for the life me figure out how a talent like Julilett Lewis would involve herself with a dismal failure such as this. I've come to expect as much from actors such as Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, but this sucks the big one. I won't even dignify a comment about "Snoop Dog." Who told this rapper he could act? All in all a complete waste of time and popcorn. Someone should tell Hollywood that resurrecting crappy 1970's sitcoms and making them into movies doesn't cut the mustard. What's next? Dukes of Hazard III???

Recreation of the series or just a dumb action-comedy?

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
8 July 2007

Misguided theatrical version of the hit TV series from the '70s, this "Starsky & Hutch" isn't well-equipped with the right materials to make it successful as updated nostalgia (it's just another brainless cop flick with comedic asides). One thing is certain, the tough-yet-tender-hearted TV cops never engaged in sexual shenanigans like this, nor did they ever freak out on cocaine (at a disco!). This film (with Hutch initially playing both sides of the law) is deliberately cheesy and does manage to get some details right, but it is also muddled, offensive, overlong, and not big on genuine laughs. Ben Stiller does commendable work, Snoop Dogg is good as Huggy Bear, but Owen Wilson is just winging it. It's hard to blame the actors anyway, street-tough crime fighters being way out of fashion. * from ****