IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The Best Spinoof Ever

Author: Grissom66 from Canada
6 April 2008

Detective David Starsky (Ben Stiller) is the most dedicated undercover cop working the mean streets of Bay City, California. Maniacally devoted to his job, when he's on duty no crime goes unpunished -- and he's always on duty. And that's a good thing, because he has big shoes to fill: his mother was one of the best cops in the history of Bay City. But while his mom stuck with the same partner throughout her entire career, due to his extremely zealous brand of police work, Starksy burns through partners faster than his beloved Gran Torino goes through spark plugs.

Detective Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson (Owen Wilson) is having career issues of his own -- he's a good cop, but his laid back personality and desire for a quick buck don't always get the job done. He has excellent instincts; he just needs a little bit of focus to keep him on the admittedly less profitable side of the law. Exasperated Bay City Police Caption Dobey (Fred Williamson) has found the perfect solution for two of his biggest problems: pair up Starsky and Hutch and put them out on the streets.Starsky & Hutch 10/10

An entertaining 70s spoof with the Stiller gang.

Author: shanfloyd from India
17 June 2006

Continuing the recent success of comedies starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan et al "Starsky and Hutch" is an immensely creative, though sometimes annoying, comedy about two cops with totally opposite characters after a rich drug dealer. Quite clearly, the point of the movie isn't the crime detection at all... the film becomes a hilarious spoof of the 70s culture, still paying homage to the original TV show.

And the comedy is pretty evident. Starsky and Hutch may be of opposite personalities but they have one thing in common, they are buffoons. And with Stiller and Wilson playing them, it's just fun to watch them embark on all those hilarious mishaps. The role by Snoop Dogg is also a hit. Vaughan plays the no-nonsense drug lord with a brilliant serious air around him. Carmen Electra, Amy Smart and Juliette Lewis only add to the fun with their 70s-type 'brainless babe' roles.

It'd take a long time to mention the funny scenes, because they are plenty. I'd rather point out the ones that I found rather annoying... like the mime act scene or the jail interview scene. But that's okay, these films are supposed to have few shots of such crude sense of humor and I've known many who'd actually like them. The story, by the way, could have been a bit more dramatic. Besides these minor complaints, 'Starsky and Hutch' scores good.

Only one real bright spot

Author: Rod (tanishalfelf3@comcast.net) from Seattle, WA USA
22 February 2005

In my opinion there was only real good spot in this movie. It was when the original Starsky and Hutch showed up.

I think the problem for me was the direction this movie took. That direction being a "parody" rather than a more serious drama. Yes... the original had it's comedy but it also had some great drama for it's day. I think most of the episodes still hold up well today too.

The showing up of Soul and Glaser is the probably only reason I give this a 2.... lol.

P.S. Yes I grew up watching the original so maybe I'm a bit prejudice towards the new movie. Guess I wanted it more like the original... hehe.

Bring Back the Original, Please!

Author: lavatch from Twin Cities, Minnesota
6 February 2005

Unlike the revival of "Charlie's Angels" in films which pay homage to a popular television series of the 1970s, "Starsky and Hutch" seeks to parody the original, lively buddy cop show, which featured David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser. The filmmakers worked hard to evoke the popular culture of the 1970s, especially in the film's sound track. But this film was not funny, and it underscored the limitations of Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller as actors. Both performers merely play themselves, and their personalities and irritating, nasal voices do not carry the film. In one scene, there was a set-up on a disco dance floor. Was that Ben Stiller's best effort at disco dance moves? Even with Hollywood dance coaches and choreographers, the lengthy dance competition sequence was an embarrassment. Ironically, the best scene in the film was a brief cameo appearance of Soul and Glaser, which reminded viewers of the extremely competent original television action series. The film would have been more successful if the writers and producers would have simply trusted the original material and brought back Soul and Glaser to reprise the roles, instead of casting Wilson and Stiller.

Funniest Movie Since Old School

Author: geese-2
2 March 2004

Todd Phillips has prooven that he is the top comedic director in the business right now. Old School was the funniest movie of last year and Starsky and

Hutch may very well be the funniest film of the upcoming year. Yes, I am a huge fan of this crew; Stiller, Wilson, Ferrell, etc., but even if you're not a huge fan, this movie may make you one. The chemistry between Ben and Owen is priceless,

and the small part Ferrell has is done flawlessly. Do yourself a favor and see this movie.

CRAZY!

Author: pete (weezerisland) from wayne nj
22 February 2004

This movie is one of the funniest i've seen in a long time. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson deliver another hysterical comedy once again. Im not gonna give any plot line away but i know that i cant wait for Starsky and Hutch 2: Electric Boogaloo. GO SEE IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Bad remake

Author: Luis Capote (lcapote@hotmail.com) from La Laguna, España
30 August 2007

I have a very good remembrance from the original series. I don't know if those remembers will be destroyed if I'd watch again an episode. But I had preferred the idea of David Soul than this horrible picture. Stiller and Wilson are two of the worst actors I ever watched in a picture. Maybe the first could be an acceptable Starsky, but the second made a very stupid Hutch. At last, this is a very good example about how to destroy a good idea. To tell you the truth, I think the film has many good points. Seventies background, for example, is good: cars, clothes, caracterization of support actors... But the big problem is Stiller and Wilson.

Truly, Truly awful - Please don't waste your time

Author: stefank60 from United Kingdom
6 April 2007

This will be very, very brief.

Sarahjmarquis, Mike and Dr. Gore all sum it up quite nicely.

This is a truly, truly awful, pathetic film that has nothing - I mean 100% nothing.

It's not funny (I lasted 49 minutes before I could take no more), it's not entertaining, it's not interesting - IT HAS NOTHING.

Please do not waste your time watching this - nobody can give you that time back (and you will wish they could).

I really don't understand how makers of a film can sit back , see a finished product like this and think it's worth putting out there.

btw why does the voting here not allow you to select 0 ? This garbage certainly isn't worth a 1 !! I can't be bothered wasting any more of my time writing about this pointless drivel of a mess of a film.

Name one good movie whit Ben Stiller in it. This is not it.

Author: themanager from Finland
31 March 2004

This movie is awful! It has nothing to do whit the TV series other than original star cameo and the car. The whole movie is just Ben Stiller BS that would be expected as a bridge between scenes but the plot scenes are the bridge between these boring and un funny "comedy" bits. PLEASE! Snoop Dogs character is the star of this movie and steals every scene. I gave this turkey 2 points, 1 for the movie, 1 for Snoop Dog AND just for Carmen Electra being in it.

(I hope the DVD features deleted scenes of Carmen whit swim suit optional footage :)

Bad - very bad

Author: Cassiel from New York
5 March 2004

Wow... This was bad. Even the 70's music that they chose was mostly bad. Even the watered down version of the classic "Gotcha" theme song was bad - how could they mess that up?

I loved the original series, and this movie was a major, major letdown. The only highpoint for me were the "two cameo appearances" towards the end. Still, although that was a thrill, it does not redeem a truly awful and unfunny film. Thankfully, it is so bad that it doesn't ruin the experience of the original series. Save your money and time on this horrible film and go buy the DVDs of the classic original series.