IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

All the tools there: and still a miss!

Author: kaj.lb from SWEDEN
23 October 2004

Let's take a tour down the shopping mall! Buy all the things needed to cook a lovely dinner! Take it home and...

Spoil it all.

This is what this movie is all about.

Everything is there, and in place. A story that is good enough. Scenes that could be. Actors look good. Outline nice. Everything in place

But it falls.

Heavily.

Snoop D. seems to be the ONLY bright spot. He portraits a 'snitch' that caught the trailer-making guys with his (will be famous) comment on the golf course: 'I know even more about grass'.

This is a movie that could have been a 5 star. But, unfortunately all the good food is botched.

== 1/2 SPOILER SECTION == Ironically, one other scene that attracted the trailer-makers was Hutch (?) entering with his Ford Torrino (?) at the entrance in a cool move. In the aftertexts this scene was shown when the stunt-driver crashed/wrecked the Ford. It broke my heart, since I'm a Ford fan, but it is really a big irony: he had everything going for him. Cool car, a cool scene. But crashed it. In contrast they reshooted the scene when, in reality, the whole movie should be remade as well!

== 100% SPOILER SECTION == Copying Captain America (Peter Fonda) and 'Billy' started of like a cool move. Until I spotted the disc brake on 'Wyatt':s front wheel! And at arriving at the 'saloon' he visibly collides with the parked car... Sigh... The front brake was not enough...

The final jump... Another total miss! The car is visibly destroyed! Who do they take us for? Idiots? Yes! And... worst part: I rented it! == /END SPOILER SECTION ==

Bottom line: Take my advice: skip this film.

Three laughs and a 3-way

Author: Dr. Gore (drgore@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles, California
19 March 2004

*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

"Starsky and Hutch" certainly had a lot of promise. I wanted to believe that Stiller and Wilson could make a funny movie. So I went out to see it. My dad told me that it was going to stink and I shouldn't waste my money. I'm afraid I have to tell you that Pop was pretty much on target. Dang.

"Starsky and Hutch" was a flat, unfunny comedy. I can sum up everything that was good about it this way: It had three laughs and a 3-way. I laughed a grand total of three times. Yes. I was counting. Just do the math to see how "Starsky and Hutch" adds up. For a feature with a running time of 101 minutes, why that's one laugh every 33.6 minutes! For a $6.50 matinee, that's $2.16 a laugh! Wow! What a bargain! When I look at it this way, I get really, really depressed. That's just the feeling you want to have after seeing a comedy.

After watching "Starsky and Hutch", I think I can now safely say that Owen Wilson doesn't do it for me. I've liked him in other movies but his act is getting worn out. He's got the laid back thing going on but it's not making me laugh. He looks like he'd be much happier sitting by a pool with a large alcoholic drink than actually taking the time to make a movie. Come to think of it, that does sound like a good idea. He may be on to something.

There was one cool scene which showed the start of a three-way between Wilson, Smart and Electra. This pleased me immensely. Amy Smart lays some kisses on Carmen Electra. You gotta love that. I can give the movie a point for that scene. To paraphrase Snoop Dogg, "That puts you at point one!"

A Good Movie For A Bad Date

Author: royceschmitz from United States
18 September 2005

If you are on the "Date From Hell", this is the perfect movie to seal the deal that your date will never call on you again. Again I am left wondering why people think Ben Stiller is funny. After taking a police drama from the 70's and turning it into a poorly written, poorly acted movie, I think I see a Razzie here. If they wanted to have done the movie and TV series justice the director would have followed the initial format of the Starsky&Hutch pilot. These were two good cops, who could also work in the "gray" area of the law when needed to get the bad guys. In other words, it was not a comedy show which looked like that were in love with each other (note the little birdy flying around Stiller when Owens is sing "Don't Give Up On Us Baby" and making google eyes at each other). About the only good thing about this movie, besides the ending, is the soundtrack, great 70's and 80's tunes throughout.

Hmm ...

Author: BlackVelvet88
27 July 2006

Okay, I guess I should know the "Starsky and Hutch" 70's show to truly understand this movie. But judging by my thoughts, the film was a little, well, disappointing.

Sure, it was funny and there were some jaw-dropping moments, but I expected more. Sure, Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are meant to tickle some funny bones, and sure, it's a buddy-cops action film. I love to be entertained by comedy and action, but I still expected more.

When I say "more," I mean more form. The film just kind of rocked back and forth instead of really developing. Once you see an action sequence, you expect something to "resolve" or calm that sequence, but no, instead it's another action sequence. It goes on and on until one stops for a disco dance battle or a three-way kiss. See what I mean? So basically, all this film is missing is better form to get the film going.

However, just for laughs, one thing to praise this movie for is Wilson's effort in his Korean (in the Russian Roulette scene). Of course, he only says 3 or 4 lines, but they're pretty accurate. Now, I don't know the language well myself, but compared to most other people who try, his dictions actually sound clear.

Stop With The Undated Remakes...

Author: DiamondGirl427 from United States
4 July 2010

Starsky % Hutch was a COOL show in the 70s. It was..for the times...cutting edge. Two detectives who weren't afraid to take chances to get the bad guys off the streets..even if they had to bend the rules a little to do it. Add a car that turned heads...The "red striped tomato" as it was called...a Gran Torino...and WOW..this was THE show to tune into. Guys watched it for the action...girls watched it for the sexy stars of the moment...David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser. It was a far cry from the standard cop drama stuff...and what cop is friends with a dude names "Huggy Bear"? Who was an informant..a pimp...and well..he knew a lot about things going down on the streets. OK..so now they decide to update the show...it has become hip to bring back retro things...here we go. The casting of the main characters with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson just did NOT work. They slightly resembled the original guys...but that is about where the similarities end. They tried...they really did...but neither could pull it off. I also always have liked Vince Vaughn in most of his films...and in this one..he was so-so...just playing a ridiculous character who is the bad guy. Un huh..I didn't buy it. Julia Lewis did not work as his sexy girlfriend either...she kind of faded into the background. I will admit the car...THAT car...well...they got THAT right...thank goodness. After all..that car MADE that show famous for the most part. Those who are familiar with the TV show might enjoy this...but those who lived in the 70s might also be offended...are they poking fun at that era with this movie? Kind of. I liked seeing the original guys show up at the end...it tied the old with the new...too bad they did not show up earlier...it would have been interesting...and probably funny too.

An entertaining 70s spoof with the Stiller gang.

Author: shanfloyd from India
17 June 2006

Continuing the recent success of comedies starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughan et al "Starsky and Hutch" is an immensely creative, though sometimes annoying, comedy about two cops with totally opposite characters after a rich drug dealer. Quite clearly, the point of the movie isn't the crime detection at all... the film becomes a hilarious spoof of the 70s culture, still paying homage to the original TV show.

And the comedy is pretty evident. Starsky and Hutch may be of opposite personalities but they have one thing in common, they are buffoons. And with Stiller and Wilson playing them, it's just fun to watch them embark on all those hilarious mishaps. The role by Snoop Dogg is also a hit. Vaughan plays the no-nonsense drug lord with a brilliant serious air around him. Carmen Electra, Amy Smart and Juliette Lewis only add to the fun with their 70s-type 'brainless babe' roles.

It'd take a long time to mention the funny scenes, because they are plenty. I'd rather point out the ones that I found rather annoying... like the mime act scene or the jail interview scene. But that's okay, these films are supposed to have few shots of such crude sense of humor and I've known many who'd actually like them. The story, by the way, could have been a bit more dramatic. Besides these minor complaints, 'Starsky and Hutch' scores good.

Only one real bright spot

Author: Rod (tanishalfelf3@comcast.net) from Seattle, WA USA
22 February 2005

In my opinion there was only real good spot in this movie. It was when the original Starsky and Hutch showed up.

I think the problem for me was the direction this movie took. That direction being a "parody" rather than a more serious drama. Yes... the original had it's comedy but it also had some great drama for it's day. I think most of the episodes still hold up well today too.

The showing up of Soul and Glaser is the probably only reason I give this a 2.... lol.

P.S. Yes I grew up watching the original so maybe I'm a bit prejudice towards the new movie. Guess I wanted it more like the original... hehe.

Bring Back the Original, Please!

Author: lavatch from Twin Cities, Minnesota
6 February 2005

Unlike the revival of "Charlie's Angels" in films which pay homage to a popular television series of the 1970s, "Starsky and Hutch" seeks to parody the original, lively buddy cop show, which featured David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser. The filmmakers worked hard to evoke the popular culture of the 1970s, especially in the film's sound track. But this film was not funny, and it underscored the limitations of Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller as actors. Both performers merely play themselves, and their personalities and irritating, nasal voices do not carry the film. In one scene, there was a set-up on a disco dance floor. Was that Ben Stiller's best effort at disco dance moves? Even with Hollywood dance coaches and choreographers, the lengthy dance competition sequence was an embarrassment. Ironically, the best scene in the film was a brief cameo appearance of Soul and Glaser, which reminded viewers of the extremely competent original television action series. The film would have been more successful if the writers and producers would have simply trusted the original material and brought back Soul and Glaser to reprise the roles, instead of casting Wilson and Stiller.

Funniest Movie Since Old School

Author: geese-2
2 March 2004

Todd Phillips has prooven that he is the top comedic director in the business right now. Old School was the funniest movie of last year and Starsky and

Hutch may very well be the funniest film of the upcoming year. Yes, I am a huge fan of this crew; Stiller, Wilson, Ferrell, etc., but even if you're not a huge fan, this movie may make you one. The chemistry between Ben and Owen is priceless,

and the small part Ferrell has is done flawlessly. Do yourself a favor and see this movie.

CRAZY!

Author: pete (weezerisland) from wayne nj
22 February 2004

This movie is one of the funniest i've seen in a long time. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson deliver another hysterical comedy once again. Im not gonna give any plot line away but i know that i cant wait for Starsky and Hutch 2: Electric Boogaloo. GO SEE IT! DO IT! DO IT!