IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Good Movie For A Bad Date

Author: royceschmitz from United States
18 September 2005

If you are on the "Date From Hell", this is the perfect movie to seal the deal that your date will never call on you again. Again I am left wondering why people think Ben Stiller is funny. After taking a police drama from the 70's and turning it into a poorly written, poorly acted movie, I think I see a Razzie here. If they wanted to have done the movie and TV series justice the director would have followed the initial format of the Starsky&Hutch pilot. These were two good cops, who could also work in the "gray" area of the law when needed to get the bad guys. In other words, it was not a comedy show which looked like that were in love with each other (note the little birdy flying around Stiller when Owens is sing "Don't Give Up On Us Baby" and making google eyes at each other). About the only good thing about this movie, besides the ending, is the soundtrack, great 70's and 80's tunes throughout.

Not cool, not funny, not worth your while!

Author: Dan from Watsonville, California
23 March 2004

This movie fails in humor. Other than the pony scene, there is nothing funny about it. There is no valid satire, no valid irony, no decent acting--except perhaps Snoop Dogg's efforts. The overall reflection of values--the view of police, of women, of authority--speaks to the worst in our society. Ben Stiller has disappointed in virtually every film we've seen--do not understand why Hollywood continues to feature him. Owen Williams gave a respectable performance, but the vehicle is so poorly done that he cannot save it. Snoop Dogg gave a decent performance as well--something of a surprise. This movie was a complete and total waste of money and time. Do what we should have done--skip it.

Not cool, not funny, not worth your while!

Author: Dan from Watsonville, California
23 March 2004

What a load of rubbish

Author: puppiemaster from Swindon, England
6 March 2004

Was this supposed to be an action movie or a comedy, cause it failed on both counts,

They took 2 super cool cops from the 70's and turned them into idiots, It took all my will power to actually sit through this movie.

When I got out and was asked to rate this film by a friend I tried to find some positive points, I found 2, Snoop dogg was actually ok as Huggy Bear and it was not as bad as Cat in the Hat.

Its such a pity cause I really wanted to like this film.

but what do I know? I think Blair witch was complete rubbish and that made millions as well

Why has this been slated so badly? I liked it.

Author: richieandsam
21 October 2013

STARSKY & HUTCH

I had seen this film for sale in my local DVD shop so cheap that I had to buy it. Everyone I had spoken to that had seen it had told me that this film was terrible. Every review I had read about it says it is really bad… but my attitude towards it was "How bad can it be?". The truth is… I actually quite enjoyed it.

The movie is based on an old TV show of the same name. 2 police officers are forced to work with each other, but they are both completely different to each other. They are trying to hunt down a drug dealer that has some cocaine in his possession that is completely undetectable. Not even the police dogs can smell it.

The comedy in this movie is not great. I laughed out loud once throughout the entire movie. But that is not to say it was not funny. There were a few moments in the film that made me smile and I thought were entertaining. I do wish it was funnier though. The story was quite good, but nothing we have not seen a million times before in buddy cop movies.

The action as really good in places. The car chases were really good and the stunts reminded me of watching the classic TV shows that I loved as a kid, Knight Rider and the Dukes of Hazzard. It was great to see the old red Gran Torino with the white stripe along the side. I love that car… I don't really remember it from TV as I never watched the show, but I know the car. During the credits at the end, you can see some of the car stunts that go wrong during filming. These are awesome, but it is a shame to see the lovely cars getting smashed up.

I like the actors in this movie. The film stars Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. These guys are funny guys, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I thought Ben played his part well and Owen played his part well too, but for some reason the chemistry between them both felt like something was missing. I could not imagine them as partners and even after watching them for 90 minutes, I still didn't really see them as partners. But nonetheless, they both did well and I enjoyed watching them. There were a lot of other famous faces in this film that I didn't know were in it… Snoop Dogg, Fred Williamson, Vince Vaughn, Juliette Lewis, Jason Bateman, Amy Smart, Carmen Electra and Chris Penn. Also I loved the cameo at the end from the original Starsky & Hutch, David Soul & Paul Michael Glaser from the TV show. I loved it and thought it was a great ending to the film.

OK, so the film as a whole was not brilliant, the comedy was not up to par and the acting was not great in places, the story could have been better too but this was still really entertaining. It did not deserve the bashing by all the reviewers that it took.

I will give this film 7 out of 10.

"A floater. Nothing harder to solve than a floater. No prints, body's usually bloated, it's next to impossible. All right, I say we push it out and hope the current pushes it down to the next precinct."

For more reviews, please like my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ordinary-Person-Movie- Reviews/456572047728204?ref=hl

Parody that falls far short of original series.

Author: windanafive
2 October 2013

If you're a fan of the original series and not interested in seeing it parodied, I suggest giving this movie a miss.

There are various "golden oldie" songs throughout the movie which were enjoyable to listen to and sing along to but some of the footage that accompanied these songs seemed overtly and unnecessarily sexual.

The characters of Starsky and Hitch seemed considerably less concerned with fair play and honesty than the TV series' counterparts.

The highlight of the movie was probably the cameos of David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser in the last few minutes of the movie. Amusingly, Soul's character was dressed identically to Wilson's character, as were Stiller and Glaser's characters, Glaser and Stiller in Starsky's leather jacket and Soul and Wilson in Hutch's standard style of outfit.

There were a few clever gags (literally a few, three, I think) but some of it was rather obnoxious and parents should be warned, like many remakes of old/older stories/series, a lot of this is NOT suitable for children or young teens. The TV series is suitable for a fairly young audience but I'd probably prefer not to show the movie to under 15s.

Starsky's character changed throughout the movie with no really clear reason why. I found this bizarre.

I've been there, watched it, and am unlikely to ever bother with it again.

Not Stiller's Best Work

Author: Michael Brock from United States
10 August 2013

Well, let's just say straight away that "Starsky and Hutch" was never going to be some sort of amazing film which would go into the History books. It was never meant to be. This film is basically exactly what you'd expect. It is a light hearted tribute to the original 1970s TV series, including cameo performances by the original stars Soul and Glaser. That is all it was ever meant to be. Stiller and Wilson in their title roles are their usual funny selves, although it does feel at times that if it wasn't for their chemistry, this film would be nothing. Let's not beat around the bush, whilst it IS funny, the reason my friend was disappointed was because it could have been a hell of a lot funnier. It's hard to point out why exactly, as there are one or two gem's, but for a comedy, people want to be laughing in the isles. Other than Stiller and Wilson, the cast provides acceptable backup, with the exception of Will Farrell who I feel is wasted. Relatively recent film newcomer Snoop Dogg is the one big surprise out of the acceptable cast. I'd gone into this film with the one expectation of Snoop being awful, so imagine my surprise when he was actually quite good as Huggy Bear, former 1970s nothing but 2004 Crime Boss.

Other than commentating on the actors and the inconsistent humour, there isn't really that much to say. This film is exactly as someone should expect. It's a light hearted buddy-buddy film with the occasional joke.

I give it a 3.

Booo...

Author: jiggsmcgretzky from United States
20 July 2013

This movie was a disgrace to the memory of the great "Starsky & Hutch" TV show. They had the characters completely backwards (Hutch is the one who freaks out all the time, Starsky is "New York cool" all the time), and they weren't buffoons, either. At least they got the car right...Ben Stiller should be ashamed of himself for making this piece of crap movie. Anyone who was a fan of the TV show should hate this, as it makes a mockery of one of the first TV shows to show black people in a good light (sort of). I was a young boy crazy about cars when the TV show came out, so this movie was a major disappointment for me. I should have know it would be, with Owen "one-note actor" Wilson and Ben Stiller in it.....

Hmm ...

Author: BlackVelvet88
27 July 2006

Okay, I guess I should know the "Starsky and Hutch" 70's show to truly understand this movie. But judging by my thoughts, the film was a little, well, disappointing.

Sure, it was funny and there were some jaw-dropping moments, but I expected more. Sure, Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are meant to tickle some funny bones, and sure, it's a buddy-cops action film. I love to be entertained by comedy and action, but I still expected more.

When I say "more," I mean more form. The film just kind of rocked back and forth instead of really developing. Once you see an action sequence, you expect something to "resolve" or calm that sequence, but no, instead it's another action sequence. It goes on and on until one stops for a disco dance battle or a three-way kiss. See what I mean? So basically, all this film is missing is better form to get the film going.

However, just for laughs, one thing to praise this movie for is Wilson's effort in his Korean (in the Russian Roulette scene). Of course, he only says 3 or 4 lines, but they're pretty accurate. Now, I don't know the language well myself, but compared to most other people who try, his dictions actually sound clear.

What a fun movie!

Author: MissMargoChanning from United States
30 January 2006

After seeing Starsky and Huch, the movie, I have to say I came away happy. All involved in the making of it did an excellent job! The car, the fashions, the fads, such as mimes, sexy cheerleaders,and the disco craze brought you right back to the mid 70's. The music used in this movie was RIGHT ON! The only thing that bugged me about it was that I can't recall Hutch ever having shady dealings or keeping money that did not belong to him in the original television series. That sort of threw me off, but on the flip side, I got a kick out of Ben stiller. He got so many of the original Starsky's mannerisms down pat! David Soul and Paul Micheal Glazor, the original Starsky and Hutch, were cleverly integrated at the end too!This was a fun movie and a fun ride in a Ford Toreno!