IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starsky & Hutch

Starsky & Hutch More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 31: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Maybe Stiller/Wilson's best?

Author: Bones Eijnar (namriggs@hotmail.com) from Trondheim, Norway
20 September 2004

SPOILERS. STARSKY & HUTCH is a truly entertaining piece of comedy. The classic cop-couple being two totally different guys, is truly one of the most inspiring and well-working chemistries in movie history.

I've loved Stiller and Wilson since they arrived and I look forward to every movie where they share the screen. Starsky is a "I know my job" cop that truly hunts the bad-guys down with his fine leather jacket and tight pants. Hutch(inson) on the other side is a more relaxed, maybe more stupid cop, preferring to work undercover. When these two idiots are mixed together to investigate a murder, everything goes wrong and right.. Hutch also seeks help threw a local negro-gangster and Starsky is kept being compared to his mother.

The movie has truly got some hilarious scenes! And with a comedy; you are to laugh and to enjoy the movie being a good movie, and this mixes them fine together. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson being fabulous easy riders, having to be dragons to satisfy a sick prisoner, creating brother ship, fighting the law and much more. Stiller/Starsky going wild on cocaine, doing the dance floor, driving lunatic good looking car, being compared with his mother, accidentally shooting a horse, being teased at work, wearing tight pants, not digging, having something for blondies, seeing birds and much more. Wilson/Hutch digging, laughing along, going undercover, being the cute, taking anything, doing "the wall" again, being buddy to a afro-negro-boy and much more.

STARSKY & HUTCH satisfied me threw the whole movie and were never boring, something that kept it a good comedy all the way. STARS: 4/5

This movie just doesn't know what it is.

Author: Karl Beard from clitheroe, england
16 August 2004

*** SMALL SPOILER *** This movie just doesn't know what it is. 70's pastiche, thrilling detective story, tribute to the original TV series or a good comedy - it failed to be any of these.. What a bore. The film doesn't get going and then it's finished!

The performances are mediocre and the "jokes" were totally misplaced and irrelevant. Snoop Dogg tries his best but is ultimately upstaged by his character colleagues. The characters of both "Starsky" and "Hutch" seem to be different than I remember. Please correct me if you think I'm wrong Don't expect any nostalgia or much reference to the wonderful humour of the original. The end scene where the original actors appear is just sad!

Sorry - I really wanted to like this movie but it just didn't deliver!

Disappointing

Author: cockneysparrer from Somerset, UK
8 August 2004

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this film or not, having been a fan of the TV series. Now I wish I hadn't bothered.

Quite frankly I found it insulting to David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser, to the TV series and to everyone involved in it.

If it was being played for laughs, it failed miserably. I didn't find it in the least bit funny. Sure there was plenty of action - that was about the only thing going to it. David Soul's song was massacred by Owen Wilson. It was a mistake to include it at all, in my view.

A complete waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

The TV series is available and I'm off to get that so I can see the real Starsky and Hutch: real drama with appropriate humour.

Thanks To Cast And Crew

Author: dakotabayranch from Tennessee
21 July 2004

After being a loyal fan of the television show since it premiered, I wasn't expecting this movie to be as great as it was. But the people who brought this movie to life did a terrific job of bringing the Starsky and Hutch tradition back in grand style. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson have a genuine chemistry that is very reminiscent of Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul. I was glad this movie wasn't done over the top with the special effects and advanced technology that was available to the production team today. As a person who grew up in the seventies this film stayed true. And thanks to bringing the Gran Torino back, Starsky and Hutch would not be the same without that car. If anyone loved the show I think they will love this movie. It's done with a style and grace that was loyal to the original in so many ways without doing it the same exact way. Thanks to all involved.

very disappointing ...

Author: nipheon
13 May 2004

This was a major let-down. They could have done it all, because they had it all at their hands. A great 70s series to make fun of, a bunch of actors who can do very great if they want, and they totally blew it. This movie is not funny at all. The jokes are completely lame, badly acted out and old. Wilson and Stiller deliver a very sub-standard performance, Stiller just does his standard routine we have seen plenty of times over the years and it just isnt fresh any more (as a matter of fact, its boring since a few years). And for Wilson, well, I really like him, he is a nice guy and I like him even more after his cameo in the GIRL-Skatevid, but I am afraid he is not really up for a leading role, he always does the same thing, and sometimes it works like in "Armageddon", and sometimes it does absolutely not, like in this movie. For the rest of the cast, Ferrell is doing such a lame job, I guess Doggy Dog had actually pay to be in the movie, Juliette Lewis seemed awfully retarded and the only one who does a good job is Vince Vaughn, but that doesnt pull it out at all. The story is so boring, its hard to believe, they could have done this in 30 minutes, but they did stretch it to 1:40. I was actually playing some game on my cellphone when I watched it, because it was so sloooow.

So, there is not much to add here, if you want great comedy based on 70s police-series, go watch "Police Squad" with leslie nielsen, there you can see how its done. But avoid this movie.

Nice try, but didn't pull it off

Author: pisces-6 from Gjovik, Norway
25 April 2004

Comedy is hard. All the ingredients can be right, the casting can be perfect, the screenplay can be skillfully written, but still you never know if it will transcend into a good movie. This movie tries hard, and never really makes it to the finish line. I can't really pin it down to a concrete, maybe the plot could be a tad stronger, maybe that illusive element of magic chemistry that is impossible to plan didn't quite peak. A too long and kind of sequence with the original tv-actors at the end doesn't exactly help either. Nevertheless, the effort can be enjoyed with some funny moments, but this is not a showstopper, and not a movie you should be sad to miss.

Not Worth Seeing

Author: oo7_ps2 from London, England
15 April 2004

I saw this film on Easter Monday. I went to see it and expected a great film with laughter and endless action. What I got was essentially a film with very bad casting. Owen Wilson was great in this film, he pulled it off brilliantly. Ben Stiller. Oh Ben. Why was he chosen, he was terrible. He just isn't funny. All he did was make a fool of himself. His acting has never been particularly good and this is a perfect example of one of the times where it has been at an all time low. As there are currently plans to make a sequel I would seriously doubt I would pay out five quid to see Stiller kill it even more. Although it was a good film just ruined by Ben Stiller's appearance on screen.

Three and a half out of five

Author: Steve West from Adelaide, Australia
14 April 2004

I don't normally go to the cinema for this type of film, the last comedy I watched in the cinema was Robin Hood: Men in Tights. I hadn't seen the original TV series before so to me this was just Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson's latest film, based on a 70's TV show. I thought the film captured the 70's look very well, the hairstyles and clothes had that 70's essence and the only modern thing I could spot was a slightly too modern-looking skyscraper in the background of one scene. Starsky and Hutch isn't one of those laughs-per-minute films so I wasn't laughing all the time, but it is generally a good film; where some comedies can peter out halfway through this one keeps up the energy, and the ending had a few unexpected twists.

Snoop Dogg didn't have to stretch his acting talents so his character works. I really liked the car and I'm not a person who normally likes large V8's (eg. I drive a Toyota MR2), I hope they didn't trash too many in making the film.

Overall it's another above average Owen Wilson/Ben Stiller film.

Much of the same...

Author: ChrisJ89 from England
11 April 2004

Starsky and Hutch was, to put it mildly, dire. It basically consisted of Stiller and Wilson reprising their roles from Zoolander with a supporting cast of pop stars and models who brought the already poor movie down a couple more notches.

The plot is incredibly dull, with a basic chase-the-cocaine story played out with crude attempts at humour, including several sexual innuendos (which were just not at all funny), poor physical comedy and typical typecasting, all of which added up to an unfunny movie if you're above the age of eight.

The one guilty pleasure in this movie was a scene in which true physical comedy - the only scene in the film in which this was displayed - was shown, where darts are fired at the heroes. This, however, is the worst example of childish potty humour and loses it's effect after repeat viewings. Ending on an anti-climactic ending, the true worth of this movie is shown in the fact that several people in the audience with me walked out halfway through and those who stayed were more content with throwing popcorn at each other than watching the screen.

what's the point???

Author: Michael Rausch (mrausch@verizon.net) from boston, massachusetts
8 April 2004

Here we go again. Another lame attempt to resurrect another classic television series. Haven't producers, writers, even Hollywood's top stars, learned from their mistakes yet? Charlie's Angels mindless jiggle exceeded anything from the groundbreaking TV actioner. And after falling flat on his face in I Spy with Eddie Murphy, you would think Owen Wilson (Hutch here) would have told his talent agency to send his agent off scouting actors in Japanese No theater after delivering him this script. Then again, there is Scooby Doo 2 on its way, so...anything is possible in Hollywood!

The problem is the actors who look to do some homage to a series they grew up with - and in some respect have a genuine affection for - don't have the moxy or the talent to do it straight. Starsky and Hutch the series was not a cop comedy with action. It was an action cop show with vestiges of comedy. Pau Michael Glaser and David Soul were the hippest cops on the beat, and it's only in retrospect, with nearly thirty years of pop culture behind us since the show topped prime time ratings, that there is any kind of inside joke about the show's era. Trying to inject farce, satire and parody into Starsky and Hutch the movie, a film adapted from the show, almost feels like everyone involved is biting the hand that feeds.

Starsky and Hutch supposedly takes us back to the beginnings of the team's partnership. David Starsky (Ben Stiller) is a no-nonsense, by-the-book police detective, the kind of cop who mindlessly reacts immediately when a crank call comes in about kids stealing from a gumball machine. Hutch, on the other hand, is a laid-back, quasi-criminal (in the opening moments, he's arrested trying to rob a local bookie) whose free-for-all attitude clashes headlong with Starsky's disciplined approach to fighting crime. They're partnered and embark on an investigation into a dead body that's washed up on shore, which leads them to a drug kingpin (Vince Vaughn).

Along the way, there is the usual list of suspects from the show, including the precinct captain (former football and one-time '70s action star, Fred Williamson) who takes every opportunity to yell and berate our titled team. And of course, their prize informant, the outrageously attired, cooler than the other side of the pillow, Huggy Bear (played with suitable subtlety by the biggest pimp of all, Snoop Dogg).

But the whole enterprise feels like an over-extended skit from The Ben Stiller Show, with Stiller in particular simultaneously saluting and ridiculing his source material. He dons the brown leather jacket, aviator shades, and belted sweater coat Glaser made so famous in the original show, but they don't add anything to his character or the movie. The costumes give him no sense of nostalgia or empowerment. The look is just another means of supposedly honoring his character, but given the lampoonish nature of the movie, the implication beneath it all seems to be, `look how stupidly this guy dressed.' Likewise, the soundtrack abounds with sickly sweet 70s love songs (`We've Only Just Begun', `Don't Give Up on Us Baby') that really does little to either recreate the era, or comment on it. The songs are here solely as a jibe at the people and the times in a fashion entirely inconsistent with the original show.

Director Todd (Old School) Phillips, and his writers, would have done better if they had gone completely in one direction or the other - a total goof, or a serious updating. By taking such a lame, half-baked approach to the material, the audience is left uncertain as to what's on the plate. The finished product, which could have been served up with relish by taking one approach or the other, is just bland. (**)