IMDb > Starsky & Hutch (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

immaculately produced 70s light comedy homage

Author: Chris_Docker from United Kingdom
7 April 2004

The tale of two oddball police detectives who have a habit of getting stuck in awkward situations even with the best of intentions. Starsky (Ben Stiller) is very much by-the-book – embarrassingly so – whereas Hutch has a laid back rather ‘hippy' approach to the rules. One of the films great strengths is that it plays on satire and keeps the action secondary. The two main characters are ably aided and abetted by Huggy Bear (Snoop Dogg) and, although there is a big-drugs-bust plotline, the movie's main intention seems to be to make a homage to the style and clichés of certain 70s filmmaking (and the original TV show); car chases, for instance, focus on tongue-in-cheek action rather than adrenalin, and the cops' love of empty-headed curvaceous women combined with a homophobia towards each other and gay men is portrayed laughingly as an echo of the attitudes of the times rather than appealing to those sentiments. Not the sort of comedy I expected to enjoy so much personally, but I quickly warmed to this movie and found the feelgood factor continued unabated till the end.

Fun entertaining movie.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
10 August 2005

Of all the recent buddy-cop movies, released lately this is one of the better ones.

Biggest strength of this movie is in the two main characters played by Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. They are such a great screen duo together and have some great team chemistry on the screen. The movie is filled with many other great comical talented actors such as; Vince Vaughn as the main villain, Snoop Dogg and Will Ferrell and some smaller roles for famous names such as; Chris Penn, Carmen Electra, Amy Smart and Juliette Lewis.

But the movie is more then just an ordinary buddy-movie, it also is a priceless parody of '70's TV-shows in general. It uses some of the same camera-positions and style of editing at times, especially in the action sequences. But also the way of acting, dialog and costumes perfectly spoof all those silly '70 TV-series. I'm not sure if everybody catch or understood this but I really laughed out loud at some moments.

The comedy can be put in the category silly, so this movie is clearly not suitable for everyone. The humor is really over-the-top but I for one really enjoyed that. The characters are really silly but the professional comedy actors portray them extremely well and likable.

A perfectly fun comedy to kill some time with.

Exhibit "A" in the case against remakes

Author: Jack from Minnesota, USA
19 March 2006

Watching this movie made me wonder if the people who made it ever bothered to watch a single episode of the original Starsky and Hutch. They did nothing but take the name (and the car) and paste in on a completely forgettable, witless and insipid little cop movie. Ben Stiller is especially yawn-inducing as Starsky, a character with no personality other than a tendency to whininess. Owen Wilson brings some slight color to his role, almost enough to qualify as a character. Together, they come off as nothing more than a couple of stupid losers driving around in a red Torino. There's not much reason for these two to be in this movie anyway, as it's nothing more than a barrage of failed comedy sketches.

The film offers a couple of chuckles, most notably when the big car jump at the end goes wrong, but it's hardly worth sitting through all the mundane characters and groan-inducing comedy to get to them. The best part - by far - is the '70s music; It at least offers a nice background to the tedium taking place on screen.

It would have been more accurate to title this movie "Dumb and Dumber - With A Badge" or perhaps "Police Academy 8: Cops Without A Clue". But of course, the marketing exec's probably found out that titling it "Starsky and Hutch" would bring in 17% more revenue, so there you go.

The Firey, Red Torino fishtails to a halt. We spill onto the streets, ready for action...

Author: kaz_2125
11 April 2004

Thankfully, Starsky & Hutch owes more to the Brady Bunch/Galaxy Quest breed of TV spoof -- the fond homage -- rather than the soulless rip-off that was I Spy or S.W.A.T. On top of that, S&H forgoes the big screen remake approach and manages to imbue this movie with a kind of intimate, small screen charm all its own.

There's not much in the SPFX department -- a little green screen on a lizard's tail maybe -- just stunt driving and disco dancing and coo l characters. It occurred to me that this sort of 70's, character-based TV has given way to the "ensemble drama" where the characters are secondary and the formula is the star. Hence you can set CSI or Law and Order in any city and serve up a variety of interchangeable casts to populate your formula.

To make it palatable to an audience who doesn't give a damn whether this remake is anything like the original, the char acters have been polarized and exaggerated to turbo-charge the humor. Paul Mic hael Glaser's intense David Starsky, in Ben Stiller's hands is "Mr Furiou s", a by-the-book cop struggling against the legacy of his Supercop mother. Owen Wilson takes Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson a few steps further along the continuum of laid-back, nordic detachment, becoming a Wilson-esque drifter who comfortably straddles both sides of the law. Thus he becomes the perfect pacifier for his frenetic partner.

All the original elements are present and exaggerated. The on-screen chemistry between the leads, the innocent and endearing homoerotica, the cool Ford Gran Torino and its balletic skid turns, the busty cheerleaders and the smooth and charming, leisure-suited villains. Played straight down the middle, all the humor emerges from the guileless seriousness of it all, the charming simplicity of a more innocent time.

In an age before AIDs, Terrorism and political correctness, Starsky and Hutch tough talk, rough house and sleep their way through a daisy chain of leads and informants, on the trail of a massive shipment of artificial coke , which mimics the real stuff in effect, but is undetectable to police labs or sniffer dogs. Starsky and Hutch take their polar-opposite characters into each new situation, and their infamous buddycop chemistry manages to keep them stumbling along in vaguely the right direction. The unlikely tableaus -- scenes like the holsters and handtowels, the attractive informant disrobing during her interview, the undercover mime artists and the ridiculous disguises are mostly lifted directly from the original series and tweaked only a little for laughs. Starsky still doesn't like Hutch eating in the Torino and Hutch still lives in his little Venice villa with his indian hemp throw rugs and healthy milkshakes. Stiller especially has worked hard on his little Starsky-esque codifiers, the bow-legged swagger, the hyperactive twitchiness, right down to the I Ching necklace and silver pinkie ring -- little touches that 95 percent of the audience will never recognize. Starsky & Hutch is populated by the usual Stiller/Wilson family singers. Vince Vaughn is delicious perfection as the bad guy/drug-dealer/family man and Wil Ferrel is the ad-libbed Saturday Night Live skit character with eccentric sexual tendencies and a penchant for Dragons.

Out of our Easter weekend audience I think most were in their twenties or below, and so David Soul's one and only pop hit, "Don't Give up on us, Baby" has never been played in their lifetime. And yet our audience seemed to "get" the fondly self-referential humor and ridiculous situations, if all the guffawing was anything to go by. There was a group of teenaged girls behind us who choked a n d hyperventilated so much during the Wil Ferrell "interrogation" scene I thought the y'd have to be put on oxygen.

As a huge fan of the original series I should have found all this insulting, predictable and groan-enducing, but instead it was nostalgic and endearing. As much as I love specials effects and action-packed blockbusters, I realized I miss these sorts of characters.

Of today's crop, only Monk is carrying the banner for quirky, character-based charm.

Telexploitation !

Author: ahmed elshikh ( from Egypt
3 November 2008

Hollywood mostly used to despise TV ! Otherwise why not to transform its hits into big feature films right after the last season finale ?? The TV's formal actor and recent successful cinema director (Rob Reiner) said once in a documentary "movies' stars were like royalty but us as TV people were the opposite !", I think that nearly applied to the shows also. However, the picture had changed lately, yet for shows only !

I think Hollywood mania over the TV's classics began humbly after the (The Fugitive - 1994). Then at the end of the 1990s all the hell broke loose. Like all the insolvent majors suddenly discovered the hidden treasure and started to plunder it desperately and milk it madly ! Therefore, every year we're on a date of perverting a good work or a good memory or both. It's sad not only to make something that never outclassed the original, but ALSO to make something that is considered in the lists of the worst movies ever, the biggest flops, etc. Just titles like (The Dukes of Hazzard), (The Honeymooners), (Scooby-Doo) may capture your attention nicely as TV shows, but once you know that we're talking about the movies then I believe you would feel the desire to vomit !

As some fine reviewer mentioned smartly that originally (Starsky & Hutch) wasn't a big massive hit at its time, I totally agree and I had to add that the exploiters here didn't even try to overstep anything too. With names like Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson you get a pretty clear notion what movie that you're about to watch. But here, this one doesn't want to regain the original, parody its time, make something for its own, or design a strong action comedy all at once. It was nothing but short little sketches (or rather skits) that made 100 minutes movie.

It's not bad but there was a certain amount of muddling all the way. The 2 leads are dressed up like the Easy Rider's leads !? Don't think it's a mocking at old anti-buddy cop movie like that, or else, it was maybe the 2 actors' suggestion to shake this script up a bit ?. Nothing in the original was appealing to be remade, and apparently the filmmaker found nothing to reinvent either ? So it was some flashy colorful scenes here and there, with little cleverness that must make you ask : maybe the whole script was meant to totally another movie and it got made under the name of "Starsky & Hutch" ?, well it happened before, as (Die Hard: With a Vengeance)'s script was initially meant to be another Lethal Weapon's flick, see how the buddy-cop movies are so flexible and easy !

OK, I liked the dancing fight at the disco, the song (Don't Give Up On Us Baby) which was sung in the first place by David Soul (the real Hutchinson in the TV show), hmmm.. what else? In similar cases of puzzlement like this I would say "Hey, the girls were hot too" ironically they weren't !

Wanna talk about some things I hated here, take a list : the sense of belittlement which ruled the whole thing. Good actress named (Juliette Lewis) in worthless tasteless role and performance. (Huggy Bear) as ugly stereotyped character (true shock for the lovers of the first, more respectable, Huggy Bear). (Will Ferrell)'s cameo which was the climax this movie reached of being unfunny, nasty, and beggar for a laugh. Even the appearance of the original TV's leads (Paul Michael Glaser) and (David Soul) was so poor, yes it's rare recognition by the movie (which other movies based on TV shows didn't even consider) but what supposed to be such a magical moment turned out to be a hasty wholly fabricated scene. That scene forced me to recall one bad cartoon show named (Tom and Jerry Kids), because unintentionally it gave you the feeling that we were watching some buffoonery was made by kids ! It was more like 2 kids were playing at the day care then their parents came finally to take them home !

If you wanna complain in one sentence then let's say it's a comedy that lacks comedy. Basically the real personality of the movie is confused. But I think it doesn't have one in the first place. Or mercifully it's a weak one despite its potentials or correctly compared to them.

A painful last note : (Paul Michael Glaser), who played David Starsky in the TV show, said more than once at the movie's premiere (I thought it was a better idea to make a movie about how Starsky and Hutch may look and live today after 30 years of their first appearance).. Dream on brother !

What a fun movie!

Author: MissMargoChanning from United States
30 January 2006

After seeing Starsky and Huch, the movie, I have to say I came away happy. All involved in the making of it did an excellent job! The car, the fashions, the fads, such as mimes, sexy cheerleaders,and the disco craze brought you right back to the mid 70's. The music used in this movie was RIGHT ON! The only thing that bugged me about it was that I can't recall Hutch ever having shady dealings or keeping money that did not belong to him in the original television series. That sort of threw me off, but on the flip side, I got a kick out of Ben stiller. He got so many of the original Starsky's mannerisms down pat! David Soul and Paul Micheal Glazor, the original Starsky and Hutch, were cleverly integrated at the end too!This was a fun movie and a fun ride in a Ford Toreno!

Better than the TV show!

Author: kmaloney7659 from United States
16 September 2005

This movie was absolutely amazingly funny. I was in tears the entire time from laughing so much! Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson make a much better team than the original guys! I hope to see a sequel hit theaters sometime because I would definitely go see it! My favorite part has to be when Starsky dances with that extremely agile and graceful man at the disco! It was an awesome seen to behold!! I watch that part again and again. Sometimes five times in a row. It's just simply amazing work. Kudos to everyone! Though I may not approve in real life, I think it was very realistic to add in the "coffee" scene. It was very realistic. Ben Stiller was a GREAT Starsky. I think he is very attractive and he needs to wear those pants from the disco more often!! I am not really a fan of the original television show, but this movie just really brightened up my day. All I have to say is I love whoever decided to create this wondrous movie!

Sporadically Funny But Unexciting And Predictable Comic Cop Caper

Author: ShootingShark from Dundee, Scotland
1 February 2009

Dave Starsky and Ken Hutchinson are newly partnered detectives in Bay City in the seventies who get wind of a big cocaine deal coming down. Can they figure out the who, where and when required to crack the case ?

I quite enjoyed this goofy comedy; I just wish they hadn't called it Starsky & Hutch. As a spoof of seventies cop shows, it's fun, with a couple of macho ladies' men in their souped up car, their hip connections, giggly women with too much hairspray and bad guys with moustaches. As a remake of William Blinn's old TV show (of which I must confess I was a big childhood fan), it's just bizarre. On the show, Starsky and Hutch were a couple of action-packed cops who got the job done, albeit with wisecracks and the occasional prank. Here, Starsky is some sort of mother-fixated nerd, and Hutch is a kind of latter-day hippie airhead; neither bear any resemblance to the originals. As often in these type of pictures, the (many) screenwriters struggle to balance the comic / dramatic / action tone - it pretty much goes for all out laughs, but would be a lot funnier if it wasn't shackled to recreating the old show. Also, where's the action ? What I loved about the TV series was the dependable fights and car chases in the Striped Tomato - there's almost no such fun here; presumably the director wasn't up to staging scenes with anything more complicated than a woman taking her top off. However, there are some good points - Stiller's arms-flailing physical swagger is a dead-on recreation of Starsky, Dogg is terrific as supercool Huggy Bear (love that Lincoln Continental), as is Williamson (a living breathing seventies classic, from such flicks as Hell Up In Harlem and Take A Hard Ride) - and funny scenes, such as the shooting-the-horse-in-the-garage misunderstanding and the police brutality interview with Cheung. Overall though I found it disappointing, compared to equivalents like Dragnet or the recent Miami Vice. It scores some points by including the classic 1976 Ford Gran Torino and having Glaser and Soul appear at the end (although sadly Antonio Fargas and the late Bernie Hamilton do not), but like so many Hollywood films it cashes in on a name. Ferrell appears unbilled as a stoolie.

The Best Spinoof Ever

Author: Grissom66 from Canada
6 April 2008

Detective David Starsky (Ben Stiller) is the most dedicated undercover cop working the mean streets of Bay City, California. Maniacally devoted to his job, when he's on duty no crime goes unpunished -- and he's always on duty. And that's a good thing, because he has big shoes to fill: his mother was one of the best cops in the history of Bay City. But while his mom stuck with the same partner throughout her entire career, due to his extremely zealous brand of police work, Starksy burns through partners faster than his beloved Gran Torino goes through spark plugs.

Detective Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson (Owen Wilson) is having career issues of his own -- he's a good cop, but his laid back personality and desire for a quick buck don't always get the job done. He has excellent instincts; he just needs a little bit of focus to keep him on the admittedly less profitable side of the law. Exasperated Bay City Police Caption Dobey (Fred Williamson) has found the perfect solution for two of his biggest problems: pair up Starsky and Hutch and put them out on the streets.Starsky & Hutch 10/10

All the tools there: and still a miss!

Author: from SWEDEN
23 October 2004

Let's take a tour down the shopping mall! Buy all the things needed to cook a lovely dinner! Take it home and...

Spoil it all.

This is what this movie is all about.

Everything is there, and in place. A story that is good enough. Scenes that could be. Actors look good. Outline nice. Everything in place

But it falls.

Snoop D. seems to be the ONLY bright spot. He portraits a 'snitch' that caught the trailer-making guys with his (will be famous) comment on the golf course: 'I know even more about grass'.

This is a movie that could have been a 5 star. But, unfortunately all the good food is botched.

== 1/2 SPOILER SECTION == Ironically, one other scene that attracted the trailer-makers was Hutch (?) entering with his Ford Torrino (?) at the entrance in a cool move. In the aftertexts this scene was shown when the stunt-driver crashed/wrecked the Ford. It broke my heart, since I'm a Ford fan, but it is really a big irony: he had everything going for him. Cool car, a cool scene. But crashed it. In contrast they reshooted the scene when, in reality, the whole movie should be remade as well!

== 100% SPOILER SECTION == Copying Captain America (Peter Fonda) and 'Billy' started of like a cool move. Until I spotted the disc brake on 'Wyatt':s front wheel! And at arriving at the 'saloon' he visibly collides with the parked car... Sigh... The front brake was not enough...

The final jump... Another total miss! The car is visibly destroyed! Who do they take us for? Idiots? Yes! And... worst part: I rented it! == /END SPOILER SECTION ==

Bottom line: Take my advice: skip this film.

Page 2 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]