Edit
The Ladykillers (2004) Poster

Trivia

Jump to: Cameo (1)
A rich black woman, Mrs. Munson says that she donates monthly to Bob Jones University, citing it as a "good Bible college". Bob Jones University banned black students until the 1970s, and did not allow interracial dating until 2000.
Prior to filming, Tom Hanks had not seen The Ladykillers (1955) as he did not want it to prejudice the way he acted in the remake.
All the musical instruments were re-created by guitar maker Danny Ferrington, because, according to him, the owners of authentic antique instruments refused to lend them for the film. The strange "triple guitar" is a "harpolyre," but because it wasn't invented until the 1830s, it isn't historically correct for the Professor's spurious Renaissance band. The long-necked guitar-like instrument is a theorbo, played in late Renaissance and early Baroque music to accompany singing, provide color, and backup the Basso Continuo. Ferrington built it from scratch.
7 of 7 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
Several times at the beginning of the film, when Mrs. Munson is complaining about a neighbor's loud music, she repeats lyrics to the song to illustrate her displeasure. The song is "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo" (1990), by A Tribe Called Quest.
The exterior shot of the riverboat casino is an actual casino on the Mississippi River in Vicksburg, Mississippi. The Ameristar lettering on the "paddlewheel" was edited out and the movie casino's name put in its place. In the movie, the casino has closing hours while the Ameristar casino is a 24/7 operation (the entire parking lot beside the boat was emptied for the shot). Additionally, 2 large river bridges that would normally be at the left side of the frame are edited out.
6 of 6 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
This is the first Coen brothers film where Joel Coen and Ethan Coen are both given directing and producing credits. They have shared these duties on all of their films, but Joel has always been listed as the director, and Ethan as producer.
7 of 8 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
The name G.H. Dorr was taken from 19th century artist Gustave Doré.
4 of 5 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
Plans to remake The Ladykillers (1955) date back to 1998 when Robert Harling was attached to direct.
2 of 2 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
The word "fuck" is used 89 times in the film.
7 of 13 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
Marva Munson shows Professor G.H. Dorr her dead husband Othar's fife. This is a homage to Otha Turner (also known as Othar Turner), a famous fife and drum blues musician.
3 of 5 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
The second Coen brothers movie filmed in Mississippi.
1 of 1 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
At one point Garth addresses Gawain as "brother". Gareth and Gawain, Knights of the Round Table in Arthurian legend, are brothers.
1 of 1 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink
The first Waffle House of the Waffle House restaurant chain (which the "Waffle Hut" in this film is based upon) opened in 1955, the release year of the original Ladykillers film.
1 of 1 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink

Cameo 

Bruce Campbell:  at the dog food commercial shoot.
8 of 14 found this interesting Interesting? | Share this
Share this: Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Permalink

See also

Goofs | Crazy Credits | Quotes | Alternate Versions | Connections | Soundtracks

Contribute to This Page