IMDb > Grand Champion (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Grand Champion More at IMDbPro »

A little old fashion but lots of fun!!! A++

Author: Marjy from Grapevine Texas
2 September 2004

Grand Champion is a bit old fashion at first glance. Andrew Morton at the Fort Worth Star Telegram said it best "If Walt Disney had hailed from Texas, he would have made Grand Champion"

The movie does not have the video and special effects but it has heart and soul. The kids are great and the array of stars is incredible. I bet Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts are proud to be in a movie that their kids can actually see:) (G rated)

This is a masterfully crafted "simple" little film made in Texas by Texas Barry Tubb. Take your kids, take your kids friends, take Grandma too....they will all enjoy it and you will too.

Grand Champion is a great family movie

Author: robertraepatterson from Western Texas
5 September 2004

Went to the Preview Engagement of "Grand Champion" today (Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, Snyder and a couple of other Texas cities). There are so few movies suitable for young children...but this one is, and it's great. Though the plot is a little "Hokey" (also the name of the steer in the movie), it is a wonderful story for children. And I enjoyed it, too.

The film pretty well represents West Texas ranch family life, although a little exaggerated. Director/Author Barry Tubb ought to get it right since he grew up in that environment. He called the film his "love letter to Texas."

Joey Lauren Adams plays the single mom of Buddy (Jacob Fisher) and Sister 'Blow' (Emma Roberts). Watch Emma Roberts (Julia Roberts' niece); she's very good and I think she will be in more films. There are also cameo appearances from Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, musicians George Strait, Charlie Robison, Robert Earl Keen, Joe Ely and rodeo legends Larry Mahan and Tuff Hedeman.

If you have young children or just want to see a feel-good movie, check out "Grand Champion" when it comes to your city (supposedly later this month). Y'all will enjoy it and it WILL make you feel good.

I guess since I'm from West Texas, I might be a little biased...nah, I'm impartial. The film is excellent!

This is the way family movies should be made...

Author: mid-cities-lady (mid-cities-lady) from DFW area, texas
7 September 2004

My children, DD 7 and DS 10, enjoyed the movie so much they were squirming in their seats. It was good, old fashioned, Rated G, family fun. This movie was made for kids.... someone really understands them.

It was fun to see Julia Roberts, Brice Willis, Garth Brooks and the other stars make their cameo appearances.

As someone who lives in the city the fictional "Big Texas" was modeled after, I can say that they did an honest and accurate portrayal. The kids looked like kids, not like superstars.

I hope everyone supports this movie to send the message to Hollywood that we need more movies like this. Go see it, then spread the word!

Cheesy but cute for kids

Author: S A from United States
4 December 2006

Okay this is a really cheesy movie, but my kids LOVE IT! I am trying to find it for them for Christmas! Its definitely not the best editing,acting, plot, etc. However, for kids, its not so bad! Mine are 3,4, and 5. Again, not MY favorite movie, but it certainly is on their list! They loved the kissing scene at the end. It is a feel good movie without violence, cuss words, or adult issues. It was fun to see Bruce Willis, Julia Roberts, Natalie Maines, and George Strait take on simple, but fun roles. I think the movie is worth watching at least once, even if you don't buy it. Just don't expect this to be an award winning movie! Have fun, remember being a kid and going on an adventure.

Charming fun family flick...Looking forward to my kids seeing it!

Author: MacKenzie-LaGesse from Texas
24 August 2004

It was easy to get lost in the simplicity and light hearted humor of this year's best family film...Grand Champion. The story of a 12 year old boy (Buddy) that with the help of his sister, Mom and best friend is determined to raise a Grand Champion steer. It is a whimsical journey to the big competition. After Hokey Pokey is crowned, Grand Champion, he is auctioned for $775,000. to pay for the kids college education. Buddy finds out that the next time he sees Hokey....it would be on a bun! The kids conspire to steal the prize winning steer,vowing to save him from the BBQ. This is where the fun begins...Julia Roberts, Larry Mahan, George Strait, Natalie Maines, Steven Bland, Tommy Guy, Tuff Hedeman, and so many more stars create the backdrop for all the antics. You wont believe who actually won the steer at the auction!!! (he looks good in a mustache) The soundtrack is rich with tunes from George Strait, Natalie Maines, Willie Nelson and more. Where else can you experience Movie stars, Country & Western stars and Rodeo stars....only in Texas...only in Grand Champion.

It is masterfully crafted "simple" little film that may be the best movie you see this year. The movie opens in select cities on Friday, August 27th. 2004.

Another great film from Rope the Moon and Michaelson Productions is IN A WHISPER. Keep an eye out on the cable networks for this one!

Feel good, clean family movie

Author: Kraeinva from United States
13 August 2006

I have watched Grand Champion all the way through at least twice now. I enjoyed the movie's story, the characters and the actors were not bad. It is refreshing to see a G rated movie. This is a feel good movie. The story is mostly from the view of the children. The interactions between the kids and the adults makes the story interesting. I recommend this movie if you are looking for a family film. If you liked the Little Rascals, you will probably enjoy this. I viewed this movie on cable. Either on Encore or Showtime family. This is not a movie that I would have gone to see at the theatre. But, I only go to the theatre for the effects of the big screen, so most comedies, romantic films, or dramas I do not go for big screen-I wait for TV/cable edition. Get your kids together, pop some popcorn and enjoy!

wonderful family film

Author: debmac63 from United States
13 August 2005

My mom and I went to the Ft Worth Premiere mainly to see George Strait, but ended up getting the chance to see the movie premier at Bass Hall. What a wonderful, beautiful film which not only depicts the beautiful Texas landscape, but also had a great feel-good storyline. It was well written, directed and produced and my mom and I loved it from start to finish!. Thank you Jay for giving us the opportunity to be a part of the premiere of this wonderful movie. It was a night we will never forget. As if seeing the movie was not enough, we also were fortunate enough to be sitting 4 rows in front of my favorite singer, George Strait!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Keep up the great work and again, thank you!

Debbie McClendon & Maureen Daugherty Ft. Worth, TX

Great Family Entertainment

Author: J. David from United States
28 January 2005

This is the kind of movie that I grew up on. It is great family fun, that the kids love and the parents enjoy as well. I wish more films like this were made. It's a great story about a little boy who raises a Bull with his mother and sister, and shows it all the way up to the National Grand Championship, where he wins! Then he's scared that someone's going to barbecue his bull, so he kidnaps it and heads home with it. I was really excited when I first saw this film in the theater and was surprised to see George Strait, Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis in this little film. The music was great with all kinds of huge country names like Willie Nelson and the Dixie Chicks. Anyone who doesn't enjoy this movie, doesn't have any children or never was a kid them self.

a charming family film

Author: tracy-454 from United States
6 March 2009

We all enjoyed the movie. It is a very charming family film with many fun cameos. It was fun to see Austin musicians, Charlie Robison, Joe Ely and Robert Earl Keen in the film as well as turns by famous actors Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis. Emma Roberts is especially cute in the film however all the children are good. The west Texas scenery is great as is the soundtrack full of Texas artists. The last half seemed a bit far fetched to me, however, my son was interested throughout the film which is not so often with him. Something in the storyline was captivating for children. Having shown calves as a child, I really liked the ending. That is definitely not the way it really works unless you have heifers.

Worked on the crew of Grand Champion

Author: adill2 from United States
23 May 2006

I had the privilege of being one of the Still photographers on the set of "Grand Champion" and enjoyed every minute of the 42 days I worked on the movie. I have been in the Photography business for 25 years and have worked on 16 movies and I can't think of a time when I enjoyed providing my craft more. The Kids were wonderful to work with and little Emma Roberts has so much energy she's a real trip. She even grabbed one of my camera during the stockshow scene rehearsal and started shooting. Some of her images were used for PR. I could have made more money working for a production with a bigger budget but I doubt I would have had the fun and been around so many great actors and the great people of West Texas as I was.