IMDb > Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde
Page 7 of 30: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The pain, the shininess!

Author: Super Goji-San (ash_ketchum09@hotmail.com) from wemyss bay, scotland, earth
14 August 2003

This film caused such illness and pain to me that I nearly left half-way through. Unfortunately I stayed to the end and saw something so spastic, terribly designed, written, directed, acted. The whole film fails in every single department because the cast are more into advertising lip gloss than making a film. I kinda liked the first film but unfortunately not anymore due to this filthy piece of excrement. The plot runs something like this. Elle decides to go to Washington to ban animal testing (Which normally I'd support) but because her only reason for doing this is to get Bruiser (Her ugly dog's mother) free it kind of falls flat. What follows is a mixture of tasteless jokes, zero acting and a blonde Sally Field who I'm sure was embarrased to do this film.

Avoid at all costs.

PS: The dog is gay, that tells you all you need to know about this film

Dull and boring - an awful sequel

Author: jantoniou from California
13 August 2003

This movie doesn't only adhere to the adage that sequels are rarely as good as the original - it provides the definition for it.

I wanted to like this movie because the first was so funny and refreshing, but, let's face it -- Elle Woods is a one-noter no matter how many different ways Reese tries to wring her dry. At first I thought Reese was flat this time, but really it's her character: It's a cow you can only milk once and the cutesy things she does registers as barely a chuckle whereas before you got a reliable guffaw out of the audience.

Not only did Hollywood, in typical fashion, milk the success of the first Legally Blonde, they're attempting to franchise the Elle Woods character. I bet their tracking boards are saying to put this one to bed and move on. This movie was, in fact, so "Hollywoodized" with an utterly prone script and paint-by-numbers plot that all I could do was smirk at my wife at the stupidity of it all. It's really a bloody shame when they turn something that was genuinely good, funny, and loaded with charm into something this dull and predictable. I'd rather have memories of how good it was instead of how bad it became. No one in the power circles has any real imagination or creativity when it comes down to it though. Then again, if you asked me to run a studio, I'd probably have greenlighted Rambo III. Oh well.

Not Even Witherspoon Can Carry This Stinker

Author: iberrio from California, USA
12 August 2003

Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon), a ditzy but lovable blonde Harvard law school graduate, is back in what is possibly this summer's most ridiculous movie: Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde. For reasons involving her dog and his parents that are far too preposterous to go into, Elle is fired from her law firm job and finds herself in Washington D.C. maneuvering through the hurdles and red tape necessary to pass a bill. This includes trying to get along with a difficult officemate, Grace Rossiter (Regina King), while successfully lobbying right-wing Congressman Stanford Marks (Bruce McGill) and tough-as-nails Congresswoman Libby Hauser (Dana Ivey).

Elle's bill, sponsored by Elle's mentor, Congresswoman Victoria Rudd (Sally Field), bans animal testing in the cosmetics industry. The plot, not unlike finely spun sugar, is sticky sweet and paper-thin. And many of the characters from the first movie - including Elle's boyfriend (now fiancé) Emmett (Luke Wilson), her manicurist and confidante Paulette (Jennifer Coolidge) and her Delta Nu sorority sisters Margot (Jessica Cauffiel) and Serena (Alanna Ubach) - are back in what must be the least substantive roles of their careers. Yet, Witherspoon plays Elle with such charm, spunk and aplomb, you can't help but root for her throughout the entire film. I even laughed out loud - twice! But, alas, Witherspoon is not enough to keep this dead weight of a film from sinking straight to the bottom of the previously viewed video bin at your local Blockbuster... where it belongs.

Are there no good movie sequels out there?

Author: MsMovie from United States
11 August 2003

This review may contain some spoilers, but since the plot was so THIN, it's unlikely there could be many!

Let's start with the first movie - a refreshingly funny comedy, with loads of blond stereotyping jokes getting over-ridden by the freshness of the main character and her smarts too!

Now let's look at the second movie - but wait, isn't the plot basically EXACTLY the same as the first one, apart from a ludicrous sub-plot about the freaking dog. For the love of Mike, I love Bruiser, but as a main character of the movie, get real.

My main problem with this movie - other than the fact that it was another movie I was looking forward to beforehand, and have ultimately been disappointed by - is that the plot was so full of stupid coincidences that were totally pathetic.

***major spoiler coming up***

Let's see, Elle needs to get a bill through, and she's gonna need the votes of this fairly nasty female politician, and this tough no-nonsense male politician. She can't seem to get through to them, what can she do? Well, gee, she meets the woman at a beauty salon and the woman just HAPPENS to be a fellow member of the Delta Nu's. Oh yeah, that was believable - not! Well, now they're best friends and singing in the salon (yeah, well it may sound stupid to you now, but wait until you see it on screen, it's even stupider!). Then, she meets the guy, while walking her dog, yes, he just HAPPENS to be walking his dog in the same area and their dogs fall in love (both male, so they are gay dogs and the man is not at all liberal).

See, now you're just assuming I am making this drivel up - but it's all true, this is what happens in the movie!

Are there ANY saving graces for this tosh? Ummm, well, Reese is still lovely and she does what she can with an awful script (and let me say since she was a producer of the darned movie, she should have made them re-write it!), the dog was cute, the setting was fantastic (D.C. in the sunshine), and Luke Wilson was extremely cute as the boyfriend, but the movie lacked almost everything that made the first one so successful.

Mostly, apart from the diabolical writing, it lacked the heart of the original movie - and that was a real shame.

I gave this movie 5 out of 10 - it didn't deserve that high a score, but I like Reese and she did her best to save this total submarine of a movie. Next time - rewrite the thing, before it's too late!

Reese can't save it

Author: poc-1 from Cork, Ireland
3 August 2003

Not even the considerable talents of Reese Witherspoon and other decent actors can save this movie from its awful script. Even the saccharine morality message is undermined by the plot. Elle Woods only manages to overcome the elitism and prejudice in the legal and political system by calling in favours from her college sorority. So the only way to break into an exclusive clique is to use another?

I love movies, but.....

Author: jag999 from Grand Rapids MI
2 August 2003

I'll leave it to the other negative reviewers to give the gist of the plot failures of this horrible clunker. Nothing believable from start to finish.

The only thing that amused me throughout this ridiculously lame movie was how often the microphone came into view. What I was really waiting for was for it to hit one of the actors in the head during a dialogue! Movies are supposed to suspend you from reality and make you forget you're watching a movie, at least I thought that was a common moviemaking goal. It's hard to forget it's a movie when you're seeing a microphone descend into the shot every 3 seconds or so. One very impressive shot was when Reese was talking to the statue of Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial. The entire boom holding the microphone was framing the shot; the boom must it must have been 40 feet tall! Brilliant work, technicians!!! I'm laughing out loud as I'm writing this. In fact, the only laughs during this tuna were at the technical incompetence.

Fortunately, I saw it for free. If you can too, please count and report how many times YOU see the microphones - at least that will give you something to do while otherwise wasting 2 hours of your life.

Just pretend they only made the 1st one

Author: Aaron from Northampton, England
2 August 2003

Terrible. I must have laughed twice and that was at the end when I spotted a funny name in the credits! Please save your cash and watch something else or rent the first one on DVD, at least that one was better. This is so much an "airhead" movie based on a pointless plot and a stupid dog! (ugly little thing!) I hear they are making a 3rd one, bad idea! If you have watched this movie then deny all knowledge when asked by your friends, I know I am!! I do hope Sally Fields career hasn't plumpted this low that she now has to star in major c**p like this.

A Little Bit Blonde, A Lot Boring

Author: Arion (arion_p) from Seattle, Washington, USA
30 July 2003

I was astounded they could fit an hour's worth of plot exposition into three minutes during the opening credits. As soon as the movie started, I felt like I had gotten off of a roller coaster and was looking for my balance. Of course, this movie wasn't designed to provide that. The characters were sad. "I'm fat. I eat a lot. *giggle* This is my recurring line and the only thing my character does." or "I'm gay; I'm a woman!"

"I'm blonde, and a girl! I'm stupid and so naïve that I'd think Partners at my law firm would care about a Chihuahua!" That's comedy, indeed!

I wanted to enjoy this movie; I liked the predecessor, "Legally Blonde" quite a bit; this one was so bad I left after 45 minutes, deeply offended.

Doesn't at all measure up to the first

Author: meloda from Oregon, USA
28 July 2003

WELL, I love Reese Witherspoon, but this movie wasn't half as good as I thought it would be. Like many other super first movies, the sequel was a drag. I did like her little dog, but it focused way too much on him. It should have focused more on Elle, as she is the main character. If you liked the first as much as I did, I would not recommend you to see this one! It was OKAY, but that's 6/10, and a C grade, only average. Reese's movies should A/B movies!

YIKES

Author: Martha from PA, USA
26 July 2003

Was I the only one that thought her Jackie -O Lovefield outfit was tacky? I mean the movie was cute in a mindless way (sorry, but I do think that Reese is adorable) But still - wasn't the outfit sort of tasteless?