IMDb > Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde
Page 4 of 30: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Clichéd jokes and stupid plot.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
18 February 2008

Anybody enjoy the first Legally Blonde movie? If you did, then it's almost guaranteed you'll hate this. It's one of those movies, if you're not a fan of the first one, you'll be more likely to tolerate it, and I'm sure most people had a hard time doing that.

Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) takes a stance when she finds that cosmetics are being tried out on animals, and the whole movie basically deals with her trying to stop this. Reese Witherspoon does a good job even though she has nothing to work with, and all the other actors do a pretty good job. The direction is okay, but it's marred by the awful script. Lame, unfunny, clichéd lines one after another. Elle is into fashion, we understand that, but when every joke (other than the ones about Elle's dog) is based on her fashion sense, it gets tiring and repetitive. Too many scenes were cringe worthy, and this was a pathetic attempt at a sequel.

My rating: * out of ****. 90 mins. PG-13 for some sexual humor.

Just didn't do it for me...

Author: TheFiendsThatPlagueThee from United States
20 January 2008

First off, let me admit that I am mostly either a fan of horror or of old classics (usually drama, some comedies or the old musicals). That said, I also often like a lot of romantic comedies as well. I enjoyed the original Legally Blonde as a film that I could watch without having to think very much and that was just entertaining. It was fun, cute and funny.

I didn't find the same with Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde. Elle, having already graduated from Harvard Law in the first movie heads to Washington to battle against animal testing, goes through some struggles, and I'll let you guess the ending. It could have been entertaining, but the characters just didn't cut it, and the script really needed some work.

(The final speech that Elle gave to Congress-what was that?! I've never heard such tripe in my life-even expecting a sentimental speech to try and stir their hearts, this one was awful. And then to get a standing ovation from it? If I was in Congress, I'd have voted against her bill just for her presentation-and I love animals. But I am getting off topic...) Overall, this one just didn't do it for me. The first one was fun, cute and entertaining and worth a watch-this one lacks all of those qualities.

cute. but the first one was better.

Author: karenlynn1 from United States
12 January 2008

This movie is a cute, light-hearted comedy. But the original Legally Blonde was a bit better. It was believable, and less corny than this sequel. It was interesting to see Sally Field as not such a goody-good, (in fact, quite the villainies), and Bob Newhart as the doorman. Jennifer Coolige--even though she is playing her typical role--is always a treat.

However, the plot got far-fetched and cheesy... When you thought that Elle Woods (Witherspoon) would have actually learned something from her days in Harvard Law, and grown and become not such a dumb, overly-fashion-conscious, flighty blonde...she reverts to type. I was surprised that she reverted to her sorority sisters for help when it was much needed instead of her law school colleagues (like Selma Blair's Character, et all.) And the result is like Revenge of the Nerds meets Bring it On.

She's learning the same lessons she had the first time all over again, only this time for the sake of her lovable little chihuahua Bruiser as she takes an Animal Rights bill to congress. While Elle once again relies on her cosmetic savvy ways to prove her case, it's done with a lot more heart. And she meets some other animal lovers along the way to help her reach her goals.

It's cute, light hearted, and funny. With a tad of cheese, and a little bit of silliness.

I gave this 4 out of 10 stars.

Bruiser's Bill? Are you kidding me?!?

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
6 December 2007

Legally Blonde started out as a half-way clever attempt at putting the super-serious law profession in perspective by suggesting that even the most cartoonish bimbo could get in, literally on looks alone (along with the help of a significant amount of sheer, morbid curiosity on the part of the overwhelmingly male admissions board). The first film ended with Elle Woods, the ultimate sorority caricature, making her way through Harvard Law School and then wowing the audience by winning a huge case using nothing but her basic beauty salon know-how. Pretty sad way to conclude a film that must have been meant at least in some part to empower girly college girls, but at least they didn't pretend that Ms. Woods could giggle her way through one of the most prestigious law schools in America and come out on the other side as a serious attorney. Indeed, she graduates as exactly the same girly college girl that she always was, except now she has a license to practice law. Scary.

The question is, what was good about the first movie? Granted, it was definitely entertaining and certainly had its charming and amusing moments. I might even say that it was only the conclusion that was a major let-down. I always thought that one of the goals of a good story was to show character change, and there was none in Legally Blonde, from the beginning of the first movie to the end of the second. Oh wait, she dumped her boyfriend, that's right. Any human girl with two brain cells operating at the same time would have done that the second he told her that he was going to college and now needed to "be serious," basically calling his relationship with her a big joke, but hey, at least there's something...

Now, Elle is a law school grad and a real-life lawyer who has won her first case, so now it's off to the real world. And by that, of course, I mean it's off to a highly demanded private investigator to FIND HER DOG'S PARENTS. Yes, it's true. This movie exists because of Ms. Woods' mission to find her dog's parents so they can come to her wedding. Good God man, when she said she wanted everyone that mattered to be at her wedding and her dog barked at her, I thought it was going to be a quick joke and then they would move on with the movie. Nope. The story comes to a grinding halt (it wasn't moving much anyway), jumps the rails, and goes bouncing and jostling across the desert into the desolate horizon.

Elle discovers with a shock that the people she works for are dirtbags, so goes to Washington with the mission of saving Bruiser's (her purse dog) mother from animal testing at the secret Versace testing facility. My guess is that Versace didn't pay for this name placement...

In the first film, there was some half-hearted attempt at presenting the reality of law school, but all of that goes out the window here. Elle is seen as a joke when she first gets to Washington (because she is a joke, of course), but wins credibility at the most bizarre circus of a Congressional hearing you can imagine. Indeed, the ridiculous skits that take place in this movie are outdone for absurdity only in the way that crowds of government officials, senators, and House representatives burst into tears or burst out laughing or clamor over each other in their belligerent rush to sign their names to whatever bill this group of childish lunatics was trying to push through.

The one thing that we have to be thankful for is that the movie is short. At about 90 minutes it still feels a lot longer because it is something of an endurance test, but it could definitely be a lot worse. The real reason the movie is so bad is because of the entire premise of searching out Bruiser's parents (no mention is ever made of Bruiser's father, incidentally - maybe he took off when he learned his son was gay), which might be one of the dumbest plot devices in film history. This is even worse than that computer in Lost where they have to type in some code every 108 minutes to prevent some unknown disaster (or nothing) from happening. Clever.

(spoilers) The film turns a little bit scary at the end when Elle and her endlessly tolerant new husband are driving away from Washington. He asks her where she wants to live, and the film ends with Elle glancing mischievously at the White House as they pass by.

Don't even think about it, Elle. You've already made a complete mockery of the American legal system, already fraught with corruption and crooks, and now you've made a complete mockery of the American government, a bloated, bureaucratic mess which is also already fraught with corruption and crooks. Let it stop now...

Pretty Awful

Author: arabesuku from Norfolk, England
16 July 2005

I loved the first Legally Blonde. It was one of those charming, innocent teen movies. The acting in it was flawless and the jokes creative.

But this one was trying to re-use the first, and failed miserably. The acting LB2 was very good, but the plot was complete nonsense and the jokes recycled, making them not very funny anymore really. Especially when used badly.

I was also annoyed at LB2's Elle Woods.. in the first, she was a great character because at first she was a naive, dumb blonde who lived up to her stereotype. But she overcame the odds, realised her potential and proved to the world that she was an intelligent, interesting, mature woman. However, when I saw her character in this sequel, she went right back to stupid again! I didn't understand why at all.

The animal testing case annoyed me as well. The murder trial Elle had to sort in the first was good because it was a serious case, which was funny to contrast with her bubbly, girlie personality. It was also funny when she won that case with the rule about the perm. But the animal testing thing was so typical of a girl like her when she was at the start of the first to try and change. She had changed at the end of the first movie though, so why go back to who she was? Some of the other characters were a bit pointless as well. Emmett was there, but his role was pretty small and meaningless. Paulette's character wasn't as good as it was in the first movie.

I just felt this movie had no point to it. The first had already covered everything, and on my DVD explains what happened to them (Paulette marries that guy she likes, Emmett proposes to Elle, etc) so there was no point trying to carry on from that Happy Ever After. It was just recycling the first and adding in a whole load of rubbish.

Very Annoying

Author: goleafs84 from Seattle, Washington
28 November 2004

For whatever reason, I didn't catch this movie in the theaters, but waited until it came on video. I'm glad I did and didn't rent it on DVD. I saved myself a couple of bucks!!!

I was hoping for this movie to beat least halfway decent, after seeing the first in the theaters back in 2001. I normally don't have huge high expectations for the sequel, since it isn't as good as the first, but just as I thought; This wasn't good.

In the first movie, I saw Elle to be cute, charming and funny. The second time around, she was just very annoying and couldn't stand her for very long. What comes to mind in one scene when Elle is picking out her outfit to go to work in Congresswoman Victoria Rudd's Office the next day. she finds one and says, "this is too cute for words", I was thinking, you are too annoying for words.

Also there were too many things that were "recycled". She Goes to work at Congresswoman Rudd's office., as I mentioned. She finds out that she doesn't fit in with everyone else initially. Remove Harvard Law school; Insert the latter. Grace Rossiter (Regina King) is nothing more than the sequel's version of Vivian Kensington (Selma Blair) . Those are a couple of examples.

It wasn't all bad. I liked Bob Newhart as Sid Post and Bruce McGill was good as Congressman Sanford Marks. It was funny when Congressman Marks discovers his dog is gay. Unfortunately, the good comes to an end beyond that.

** out of *****

I want my two hours back

Author: grrrlygirl from Austin, TX
29 October 2004

The first "Legally Blond" was fun and vaguely feminist, if wildly implausible and highly unrealistic.

The sequel, on the other hand, manages to be the dumbest movie I have ever seen. And that's not hyperbole. Reese Witherspoon is reputedly highly intelligent, but the plot device that drives this movie is just insulting in its inanity. (SPOILER: Elle Woods wants to invite her dog's mother to her wedding. I repeat: Elle. Wants. To. Invite. Her. Dog's. Mother. To. Her. Wedding. Elle tracks the b**** down, and what she learns about said mother dog awakens Elle's outrage and patriotic fervor, prompting her to move to Washington to push a bill through Congress to resolve the problem).

Sadly, the door was left wide open for a sequel. Expect to see Elle and her dopey husband ensconced in the White House sometime within the next few years.

Recycling

Author: BlackRave from Vermont, USA
9 October 2004

(slight spoilers ahead)

Legally Blonde 2 shows that the script writers subscribe to the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Many of the plot points and clichés that made the original great are recycled and cut to fit the plot. Unfortunately, this tends to inspire a feeling of deja vu. Lazy writers.

Elle really seemed to have it too easy, as some of the important people she needed to get on her side "coincidentally" (read: CONVENIENTLY) had some sort of sympathizing link to her (Libby Hauser and her sorority roots, Stanford Marks and his dog). Highly unrealistic.

The movie's few true saving graces: the initial gay dog scenes (it got ridiculous near the end), Sally Field's exasperated facial expressions (also exhibited in Mrs. Doubtfire...though I must beg Ms. Field to NEVER dye her hair blonde again), the ever-cute Luke Wilson, and BOB NEWHART (the guy with all the connections...Bob rocks!). The "million dog march" is also pretty amusing.

My opinion? Meh. It's pretty good. The original's better. (note to movie company: please hire new writers before a third movie is even considered...recycling clichés/plot points, even if they were good clichés and plot points, isn't a good thing)

This movie is a crime.

Author: mashby from Nashville, Tennessee - USA
27 February 2004

There is a curse in the movie industry. It's name - the sequel. For some reason, trying to follow up a hit movie with a sequel is very difficult for most studios because most sequels suck eggs. I forgot about this curse when I rented Legally Blonde 2 - Red, With & Blonde recently. It's not that the first movie, Legally Blonde, was a masterpiece or anything, but it was good for what it was. It was a happy, shiny movie where you dismissed a little reality and just went with the story. Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) may be a silly character, but you go with it just to watch the character grow and mature. In addition, there were a nice assortment of memorable characters peppered throughout the story that really "kicked it up a notch".

Since Legally Blonde was a big hit, you'd think that the producers wouldn't mess with the formula that made it such a success. Haven't we learned anything from New Coke? ;) Unfortunately all the elements that made the first movie such a fun guilty pleasure are absent from the sequel and all you're left with is a bitter taste in your mouth making you feel wrong for liking the first movie.

The biggest problem with the movie is the script. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and this script was dead on arrival. Instead of using the original writers, Karen McCullah Lutz the studio chose Ahlert, Drake and Kondell. Again, why miss with a winning combination? Anyway, the opening sequence is a scrapbook that the friends Margot (Jessica Cauffiel) and Serena (Alanna Ubach) are looking through. The device is meant to catch the viewer up on what's been happening to Elle. This works nicely for those that didn't see the first movie and for those of us that have, it works to set us back in place in the Elle timeline. At the end of the first movie, they said that Elle married Emmett Richmond (Luke Wilson). At the start of the second film, they explain that the wedding hasn't happened yet and is scheduled to happen soon. This choppy style of storytelling works well when used in this manner, unfortunately the entire movie is told in this manner.

Instead of creating story arcs for the characters that can grow and lead us through the story, we're presented with chunky segments. It's almost as if you're watching "bits" from SNL or something. I can just see the writers pitching these ideas back and forth, "Hey, how about Elle goes to Washington? Yeah! And there's this mean lady that runs the office. Yeah! And the door man is really cool and helps her. Yeah! And her fiancee comes to visit. Yeah! And then she's on CSPAN. Yeah!" It was just scene after scene that didn't develop anything. The comedy was forced and it felt as if everyone was just walking through their scenes.

Think I'm just being mean? Well, let's look at the plot and then you can tell me. "Elle is getting married and she decides that she wants her dog, Bruiser, to have his parents at the wedding. She learns that Bruiser's mother is being used for animal testing so she goes to Washington to pass a bill to outlaw animal testing." That's it. I'm not kidding. That's really the plot. I know, who would have green lighted this kind of project?

As I saw the story unfold like someone dropping a sack of potatoes, I held out for the hope that the supporting characters would help redeem this movie. No such luck. Emmett the fiancee was reduced to a caricature of his former self. In the first movie Emmett helped ground the movie in reality. He wasn't a doe eyed goof, he was the smart, sensible legal hero that sees Elle as a "diamond in the rough" and what potential she holds. In this movie, he's nothing but a sycophant who does nothing more than say "Yes dear." and mug for the camera. To add insult to injury, Paulette Bonafont (Jennifer Coolidge) the lovable manicurist who is befriended by Elle in the first film, is reduced to nothing but the eccentric goofball sidekick who makes one stupid comment after another. Even Bob Newheart couldn't keep this ship afloat. All of the actors are credible in their field and are capable of doing so much more than this. The crime in all of this is that the script shackles them down to the point where they have no room to do what they do best - act.

I loved the first Legally Blonde movie. It was silly and somewhat of a farce, but the story and the characters made you just "go with it" and enjoy yourself. It wasn't high film, it was just a good time. Legally Blonde 2 is such a disaster it makes you sorry you enjoyed the first one altogether. By the end of the film, all the affection you had for the characters is gone. You just don't care about Elle anymore and you don't care where she goes from there. She gives a knowing wink to the camera at the end of the film to imply that there could be a 3rd film and I my only hope is that the studio doesn't get paroled to make it.

enough with the shiny hair backdrop

Author: pri_e from Sydney, Australia
28 January 2004

They always say that sequels never match up to the original movie, well in this case it was absolutely terrible! Did Elle suddenly become more of a ditz in this movie? I found that they tried to put a new spin to old jokes from the first one which fell flat, what happened to Paulette's husband and child? (although he made a 15 second cameo). If Selma Blair's character became Elle's new best friend, then where the hell was she? This movie was also way too political to enjoy and I found myself wanting to throw up through most of the speeches.

Poor effort