Garden State (2004) Poster

(2004)

A Film that Defines a Generation
NCSAFilmGuy10 August 2004
Zach Braff's "Garden State" manages to accomplish something that very few films have been able to do throughout the history of cinema. It is a film that speaks to an entire generation. 1947's "The Best Years of Our Lives" spoke to our grandparents. "The Graduate" spoke to our parents. "Fight Club" spoke to our older brothers working dead-end jobs in the 90's. But it is with the arrival of "Garden State" that our generation is spoken to, those of us born in the early-mid 80's who are in our late teens and early twenties trying to make it by in a environment that seems all at once to strange and yet so familiar.

Homecoming is the theme of Garden State. Andrew Largeman (Zach Braff)) has been away from his hometown of New Jersey for the past nine years and returns to attend the funeral for his mother. While having been gone, Andrew has been on lithium and other forms of anti-depressant medication all prescribed to him by his psychiatrist father Gideon (Ian Holm). Upon his homecoming Andrew has decided to take a vacation from his medication and take some time to re-connect with himself. From there the plot grows as he connects with old friends and makes new ones and discovers the joys of life and love mostly thanks to the arrival of free-spirited Sam (Natalie Portman).

Braff has written and directed scenes that qualify to go down in the movie history books along such moments as Pulp Fiction's dance sequence, and The Deer Hunter's Russian roulette scenes. Two of said scenes that come to mind are when Sam takes Andrew up to her room for the first time and does something "totally original that has never been done before in this location and will never be copied again throughout the rest of human existence," in order to ease the pain of an awkward situation. Another scene occurs late in the film when the three principals stand at the edge of a seemingly endless abyss and scream at the tops of their lungs into the gorge. It is this moment that defines, with one pure act, the epitome of what it feels to be in your late teens, early 20's looking out at life. Standing at the edge of life and screaming.

While all the acting is noteworthy, including a hilarious cameo by Method Man (yes, that's right Method Man), it is Natalie Portman who steals the show. Sam is in essence the adult version of her character from Beautiful Girls. She's 26, but an old soul. It his in her that the movie comes out the realm of quirky off-kilter comedy and gains heart, soul, and intimacy all to rare to achieve in films these days. Bravo Ms. Portman. In addition, Peter Sarsgaard is becoming one of my new favorite actors, after having seen him in this film, Shattared Glass, and Boys Don't Cry within a matter of approximately three weeks.

I will go on record an call Garden State a masterpiece. It does exactly what films are supposed to do, take from all areas of art and incorporate them into one. It is a passionate mixture of visual flare, tremendous dialogue, hip music, and heart-warming pathos. I encourage anyone who is young to see this film. See it with the people you care about, this is your film, this is OUR film, and it couldn't be better.
857 out of 1,147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
life is a state of mind
gerbowski21 January 2005
First off, for anyone thinking about seeing this movie, go do it!! No matter what anyone has told you already about the film. I notice a lot of people writing that they didn't like Garden State and that's fine, I personally thought it was excellent. To me it was real life on film, and within that real life there are very different people. Unfortunately not everyone wants to see movies that remind them of reality, and I guess not everybodies reality is the same as mine. Even so Garden State is well worth the watching, if only to remind us that the comatose state most of us live in is only temporary, and the joy of a life well lived is forever.
258 out of 356 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A blooming, Wonderful Garden State!
debfez14 December 2004
'Garden State' came out in the Uk on December 10th. I had heard wonderful things about it from friends and relatives in the US - I wasn't disappointed...

From start to finish, the film made me laugh and cry. I thought the opening in which we met Braff lying emotionless in bed. Listening to the answer machine message from his dad about his mother's death was disturbing and really drew me in.

So many memorable moments: The funeral, touching and funny, the party scenes, the scan scene...And as for the dialogue - well, sharp and witty. I don't think I will ever forget Natalie Portman's dancing in her bedroom - just to be 'unique' or Zach Braff's touching comments about what makes a 'home' in the swimming pool.

Even those touching moments were funny; the fact that he couldn't swim!

As a mid twenty-something, This film really spoke to me. It's that question we all dread. We've graduated university, got jobs....then what?

Fantastic...just a shame it is not on wide release here...

One of the best films I have seen in ages!

388 out of 544 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In Garden State, a young man (Zach Braff) returns to his hometown for his mother's funeral and finds love.
sunkilmoontipton23 January 2005
Garden grew on me. It kept replaying in my mind. It reminded me of the movie The Graduate (no slight praise) for many reasons, not the least of which was the soundtrack which included a song by Simon and Garfunkel. I mean, why include an old song by S&G in the middle of a host of contemporary artists - it must have been done on purpose - right? And the pool scene, although different than Hoffman's, still serves to illustrate Andrew Largeman's alienation.

Much like the Graduate, it was the little things that got to me. The escalators heading in two directions at the end, the making of a completely original dance, the touching of the father, the arc on the edge of the abyss, the silent Velcro...I could go on.

Natalie Portman got to me too. Playing the role of a goofy, epileptic but cute, hometown girl, she steals the show. She hits all the right notes. She is responsible for the death by tread-wheel of a loved one, she habitually lies, and she's slightly crazy, but Andrew and we can't help falling in love with her.

Movies like this are rare. Lots worth looking at, lots worth listening to, lots to think about, lots to feel good about. I hope Braff (star, writer, director) has a few more like this in him.
147 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful Effort From First Time Writer/Director Zack Braff
JoshRoessler24 February 2004
I really loved this movie. I mean, really. So it surprised me to come here and find it rated so low.

By no means is this a perfect movie. It can be slow or awkward from time to time and there are one or two moments that just don't work. But. By and large I was really impressed.

It's a great little story with just the right balance of comedy and drama, full of quirky characters and interesting performances. Ian Holm demands attention, as always, and Natalie Portman's Sam, while offputting at first, definitely grew on me as she grew into a real character.

But the real story here is Zack Braff. It should surprise no one who has ever watched Scrubs that his performance keeps the movie together; or that he is able to create a jokey, distant, somewhat sarcastic character who also elicits real empathy from the audience and manages to emanate deep wounds. What amazes me is the work he has done here as a first time writer/director.

First off, there is an actual narrative here with meaning and relevance. Too often, the big Hollywood movies will have a plot that resolves itself, but means nothing; on the flip side, independent movies almost seem to disdain plot for mood and thematic concerns. Braff is able to weave both together--a difficult task for a young writer. The dialogue is witty, plot situations intelligent and creative, and overall the writing is just--good.

As for his directing, there are a few odd choices. I'm still not sure I like one scene the main characters are screaming into a deep ravine and the camera sweeps away into said ravine. It just tossed me out of the movie a bit. I'm also not completely sure what to make of the movie's ending, which I won't go into further except to say that I felt it almost changed the focus of the movie up to that point and made it about something else. However, there are moments of absolutely beauty as well, here. The entire scene where Sam and Andrew talk in his friend's pool has some great shots, and Braff's comedic flair and timing are evident in his directing style, which still manages to pull back for the more dramatic and poignant moments.

I urge you to see this movie. It's not a "big" movie. It was never meant to be. But I have little doubt that, once it finds an audience, it will be remembered for years to come. Sort of a modern day Graduate with a more hopeful outlook on life.
113 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I really got it
Kev Beaumont10 December 2004
Movies with guns, explosions, Barbie/ken romance... You know the drill. They can be good films, but it's rare I ever relate to those movies.

I *really* related to this movie - both the main character played by Zach, and the pure concept and analogy on display here. This film earns itself a place in my DVD collection upon release for the sheer fact it matches my 20-something experience to a huge degree, and all the feelings along the way.

Normally films such as this tend to end up becoming "coming of age" stories - this isn't. It's simply about living life, but not knowing why you are living it.

An excellent film on many levels - 10/10.
461 out of 718 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Garden flower
stensson23 January 2005
Zach Braff has made it. Both script, directing and main acting, and everything is more than all right. This is a film without violence about people living ordinary extra-ordinary lives and it's much more interesting than extra-ordinary murders, which very, very few, even in the USA, encounter.

The "hero" has been going on tranquilizers for all his grown up-life and even before that. He's got no feelings left, not even for the death of his mother. Then he meets a girl, well acted indeed by Natalie Portman, who unlocks him slowly, saying the right things all the time without knowing it.

Hours after you've seen this, you realize that here was a crucial moment, this was a turning point and so on. The love story gets a little sentimental at the end, but still this is a film that lives long after you've seen it through.
171 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We all have dreams, I know I do
daveisit29 December 2004
This was almost the perfect movie. The acting was great, the direction was great, the script was brilliant, and the location shoots were perfect. Probably the most amazing thing about this movie was the screen stealing show stopping performance of Natalie Portman. She showed this brilliance in "Leon" aka "The Professional", and once again amazed with her talent. It contains different humour to your usual American movie and was a needed hit in the movie circles of 2004.

My only problem was a little part of the story that seemed out of place and not needed. This is not a spoiler, it is his friends wealth and invention. They just seemed unnecessary to me. This is a minor complaint and I eagerly anticipate Zach's next work. He could quite possibly end out being more famous behind the camera than in front of it.
57 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very impressed
britni4418 December 2004
I would give Garden State a 9 out of 10. The only reason I'm not giving it a perfect 10 is b/c it had a slow start. Besides that this movie overwhelmingly surprised me with its directing and acting. Natatlie Portman did an amazing job playing Sam. She really worked the part. Zach Braff's directing debut is stunning. I had never heard of Braff except for his character on the TV show Scrubs. He also did an excellent job acting. There were so many surprising elements thrown out during the movie. Braff just kept piling one thing on top of the next to make the story more interesting as it rolled on. I was very pleased with Garden State!!!!!!!!!11
180 out of 301 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure schmalz and awfulness
alistairp23 October 2006
Wave after wave of directionless nausea - this film wants and at first promises to be quirky and original but is in fact obvious, solipsistic and mired in cliché-driven dialogue which builds to a crecendo of awfulness and cheese by the end. Throughout the film we meet supposedly off the wall characters, who are actually very dull, and just don't quite work and who clunk through the horrific screenplay like men in armour suits, driving jeeps through mansion houses and spouting preppy existential obviousness accompanied by the whinings of Coldplay. The film has occasional funny episodes, often no funnier than a dog playing with its genitals, which happened twice (an index of the slapstick, rudimentary humour of the film in general) but by the end, the film falls into an 'infinite abyss' of complete detritus and the director's egocentric ramblings which made me want to gouge my eyes out. Watch this film at your peril.
35 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perhaps the most cliché/melodramatic/contrived/trite/you get the idea movie
robototron26 March 2005
I have no qualms with how the movie does NOT capture New Jersey (like Zach, I'm from there). Fine. Whatever. I lived there WAY long enough. I don't need to see a movie that captures the Garden State.

What I do have qualms with is how bad this movie is. Let's make it easy on you. We'll use some bullet-points. There are probably some spoilers that follow. (Not that you wouldn't be able to predict the movie ANYWAY):

-The music placement was maddeningly forced and patronizing. Example: Large: "What are you listening to?" Sam: "The Shins. Ever heard of 'em?" "No." "Listen to this song - it will change your life!" And then they proceed to play that Shins song that was in a McDonalds commercial. (Don't you love when the characters in a movie blatantly tell you - the viewer - how to react to something? I love that! Hey, they should have put subtitles during various scenes instructing us to "chuckle," "Say 'aaaaaw'" "cry" "feel inspired" etc.)

-The scenes were SO BAD. SO Cliché. SO MELODRAMATIC. Example: The entire movie. But no, really, example: They're in the rainy quarry by the ark. Large runs up - in the pouring rain (oh he's SO TORMENTED!) - on top of a piece of heavy machinery and SCREAMS! Oh how moving! But wait! Here comes Sam and his buddy (the annoying drug addict), and they ALL SCREAM!!!! BUT WAIT!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! Here it comes! THEY KISS!!! LONG, DEEP!!!! IN THE RAIN!!!!!!!!

-The dialogue was SO BAD. SO Cliché. SO MELODRAMATIC. Example. They're leaving the ark and Sam says something like, "Hey. Good luck exploring the infinite abyss." And the guy says back, "You, too." Oh...Oh my! I never realized...could it be? Oh my God it is! Large's life is like...ohmigod...AN INFINITE ABYSS!!!! Another example: Large and Sam in the airport. Sam says something like, "Is this goodbye?" Not enough for ya? OK, Largeman says something like, "This isn't a period at the end of the sentence... it's an ellipses." And guess what happens when he tries to walk down the jetway and go back to his life in LA. You know, what? Don't guess. It's a waste of your time.

-It's a Grade Z Wes Anderson rip-off movie. When not busy being melodramatic and cliché, the movie spends lots of times with crazy-kooky-off-kilter characters. Hey, Sam's brother... thank you Zach Braff for including him, because it really made the movie so much more textured. Also ripping off Anderson: the dialogue. Scene: Sam and Largeman are in a bar. In walks friends, "Vagina!" says one of them. Then they see him sitting with Sam, so one of the friends says, "Sorry I said vagina." And Sam says, "It's OK."

-Inventive cinematography that's not inventive but pointless and annoying. Give me a break with the speed-up/slow down of film. Again, Wes Anderson does it effectively in his movies. And it was done well in "Donnie Darko." But, really, it was pointless. Wow. A crazy party where people are taking X and snorting coke. Better roll out all the tricks!

-You can count the good moments on one hand (even if you're missing fingers). That's what makes it even WORSE. The retarded quarterback thing...well, that was good! The little thing he (largeman) says as they're about to enter the quarry (something about huffing turpentine)...that was good! Oh, wait, that's about it.

You know, Zach Braff is, I think, always a little too cute. But, he's likable. But, man, this is forced, pretentious, melodramatic (have you gotten that yet?), overly cute, overly everything. This movie is terrible. Apparently, I'm outnumbered, as this waste of time is currently rated an 8.0.

Please, though, if you're looking for something truly poignant and subtle and unique DO. NOT. RENT. THIS. MOVIE.
174 out of 295 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Over-rated and under-written: Zach Braff's ego trip
Ashes201 July 2005
Garden State must rate amongst the most contrived and pretentious films of all time. The plot is a simple one, involving a young man returning home after his mother's death and discovering love. But really, the plot isn't important. What is important to Zach Braff - writer, director, and star – is that he is able to hang from the plot all the necessary accoutrements of an 'indie' or 'arty' film. We therefore are presented with endless cute and quirky characters and scenes that don't exist for reasons of plot or character development, but simply to give some artistic credibility to the film (à la Wes Anderson - or so Braff hopes). Unfortunately and somewhat astonishingly, Braff has not only fooled many on IMDb, but also some critics who really ought to have known better.

Of course, Braff's gratuitous use of the quirky alone does not make Garden State a bad film. What really makes Garden State a stinker is Braff's script. He simply does not have the writing skills to carry this film off, and the dialogue and characterisation are abysmal. Braff often has to resort to blunt devises and symbolism to achieve what he can't achieve through the writing. For example, the numbness of the Braff character is shown to us by his indifference to an impending plane crash (this can't be worked into the plot, and so has to take place in a dream!), later he is shown fighting back against his circumstances by screaming into a bottomless abyss (life = a bottomless abyss, very clever Mr Braff). Those two scenes must rank amongst the most ludicrous and contrived ever seen on a cinema screen.

On the plus side, the acting is passable despite the lack of material for the cast to work with (by which I mean a script), and I do admire Natalie Portman for her efforts as the love interest - a character so badly written and implausible that she is little more than a mindless doll that Braff moulds into his fantasy woman.

It apparently took Braff 3 years to write the script for Garden State (3 years to write a script this bad - he really is inept!). Hopefully therefore it will be some time before he makes another film.
100 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't Bother
rulistening52119 September 2005
Garden State was a mediocre film at best. The film seems more like a compilation of thoughts that the writer (Zach Braff) had, rather than a cohesive story. The disjointed plot may have been more engaging if it weren't interspersed with pointless scenes that were nothing more than "quirky." Coincidentally these scenes are often the ones that are relayed in conversation (Zack walking past faucets that turn on as he passes, crazy under-cranked party scene, shouting over a gorge, the list goes on).

The main character is flat, disengaging, and ultimately unlikable, which is exhibited most in the scene where he talks to his father, selfishly ignoring his fathers problems, including a recently deceased wife, and droning on about his own "What am I to do with my life?" problem.

The film ends when Andrew (Zach Braff) decides not to go back to LA because he cannot tear himself from the love of his life, Sam (Natalie Portman) whom he has known for 2 days. Which can only lead me to the conclusion that the message of the film is that love at first sight cures occupational dilemmas... Sure you could interpret it as a misappropriation of priorities, but if that is the case it could have been done better. Much better.

This film does not know what it wants to be. A drama, a comedy, a teenage-wasteland film, or a gamut of other things. I say this not as a single-genre oriented person, but as a person who loves multi-genre pieces such as those mastered by Stanley Kubrick. The reason I feel it does not work for Garden State is because rather than blending the genres together, it jumps around; one scene is one genre, the next another, and back again, so on.

I have heard many people tell me to cut Zach Braff some slack, after all it was his first feature film and he debuted as Director, Writer, and lead actor. Impressive as it was a first film, I should think that with as much money as he has, he could do better. There have been much better first-time feature film directors (Michel Gondry "Human Nature", David Gordon Green "George Washington"). Maybe if he stuck to writing OR directing OR acting it would have been better. Zach Braff is a talented performer, maybe his second attempt won't be so tedious and disjointed.
60 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great little movie, great acting by Natalie and Peter
daobankechi21 September 2004
A very promising film debut by Zach Braff.

The plot isn't all that original, the movie isn't all that flawless, but "Garden State" has a unique and sincere quality which make it totally differ from other flicks. In short, this movie is "real" and sensational.

Let's not forget about the acting. Zach was lucky enough to have two of the very best young actors starring in his movie: Natalie Portman and Peter Sarsgaard. Especially Nat Portman, her Sam is so lovable that I just want to give her a big huge. Her smile lights up the screen. NP's character and acting are definitely the highlights of "Garden State".

8 out of 10. Very touching.
147 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
weak improbably plot, dull characters except for "the girl". dumb climax
fsteinca29 July 2006
A third rate slacker movie. The only original parts of the movie are the plot flaws. The female lead is endearing and convincing. The main character and all his friends are the kind of people that would make you leave the room in real life - boring, self-absorbed, low self esteem, and sleazy. The hero climaxes three times - pun intended. First he tells off his father - but the set up is contrived. His father is conveniently the fall guy for the hero's own nothing life. Then he cruelly leaves the adorable girl for his nothing life in CA. Then he returns to the adorable girl. Duh, he is nothing without her. Sorry for the hackneyed phase, 'nohing without her' but his life up to that point has been a zero.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Vastly overrated
Agent1027 August 2004
For those that might send me nasty e-mails, shove it. There is a trend in Hollywood where those that create overly-quirky movies are instantly impervious to criticism. Garden State tends to be one of those movies.

Sure, Zach Braff, star of a rather overrated sitcom, surprises people with some talent behind the camera, but that doesn't warrant the kind of praise that a film like this has been receiving. The story is often times too thin and shallow to provide any real insight. People have compared this film to The Graduate, but those type of people are the types that try to oversell independent cinema. Indie films are subject to the same hit and miss mentality that typically hits the studio films, but people seemed to have forgotten that there are far more bad indie films than good ones. Garden State isn't atrocious, but its isn't great.

First off, the film is too quick, resulting in a rather fast reemergence of Large into his former life. After ten years, people tend to act like he never left. Where's the awkwardness? Of course, the situation is always solved by a quick drug tasting scene (which I will say was portrayed rather accurately). The film seem to present a lot of emotional inequities, giving us the idea that the emotion will come up later in a more deeper and more well thought out way. However, it fails to deliver on those fronts, leaving us wondering why the journey to some of his decisions and moments were quickly resolved (like Peter Saarsgard's grave robbing tendencies). It wasn't completely abysmal, but maybe we should stop praising the film as something it isn't.
78 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Whats the big Idea?
Richard Hart13 June 2005
I'm 25 years old. Let me start my review by saying that. So this movie is supposed to be the movie for "my generation" I don't think so somehow For me this was one of the most overrated movies ever made. Self indulgent and totally unaffecting, only once was I moved by something that happened on screen. Whilst the acting was good and the soundtrack was very hip, the script was full of self important lines and the whole movie left me wondering why they had bothered.

Don't get me wroung, I see this is a movie with some merit and I also see that for many, this movie has been as affecting as say "Donnie Darko" was to me, but I don't see why. There is nothing behind that awkward smile that Braff wears throughout, the movie has no soul.

Having said that, I realise this is not a popular opinion, but I stand by it that I have seldom heard a movie talked up more and lack this much depth before.

However the scene where Braff talks about his departed mother, about how pure a mothers love can be, was pretty good. But the rest of it, just fell totally flat Biggest letdown since "Cold Mountain"
35 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as advertised, I want my money back. NOW!
cleveralice16 August 2004
"Garden State" takes bandwagon to a whole another level. This movie is the biggest disappointment of the year. 'Garden State" is crappy in so many ways that I don't even know where to start. The trailer I saw in March was ten thousand times better than this pathetic dribble pawned off as a movie. Like, seriously, do you think Braff had enough clichéd characters? Oh, and not to mention the in your face symbolism...how dumb did he expect his audience to be? I got it during the "we get high together" mother/son scene, Andrew craved a loving family...the Noah's Ark family was so not needed.

The writing reeked, I felt like I was in my Fiction Writing 101 class. Braff forces the story along; there was nothing natural about it, especially, the "pause" dramatic moments. Sam was annoying as hell, with the "I'm going to be cute until you smile" shtick. And the supposed romantic connection between Andrew and Sam was as sparkly as a flat line. "Garden State" was all over the place, by the end of the movie, I felt like I was doped up on lithium all my life. This is the only explanation I can think of for wasting over an hour of my precious life.
54 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't understand how anyone can see anything at all in this movie.
krakajack2119 February 2005
I don't think I've ever wanted to put my fist through a TV before, but i came very damn close watching this movie.

The whole damn thing is just a rip off of other concepts. The whole "my mother died, but i don't really care" comes straight out of "The Stranger". Natilie Portman's whole character is a horrible rip off of Kate Winslet from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. They even lifted some dialog almost directly from that movie.

I may have been less offended at Portman's character if she could pretend to act better than George Bush could pretend to speak English, but she can't. All she does is speak in the same obnoxious, high pitched, teenie bopper voice throughout the whole movie that made my ears want to bleed, not because they hurt, but because the blood clot would muffle her voice out. And looking at her face made me want to vomit as well. It's not that she's ugly or anything, but it looks like her studying for the role consisted of looking at those pictures of facial expressions that they put in psychology textbooks.

I want blood for seeing this movie. everyone associated with making it deserves to be tied down to the couch and forced to watch this movie until they die. They should then be shot into the sun along with every existing copy of it.

Save yourself a lot of pain. Don't watch Garden State.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice debut performance, but a recycled script
rcraig6220 January 2005
"Garden State" is another of these "indie"-type pictures that supposedly skimp on production values for the sake of giving the audience some real true-to-life human drama. Oddly enough, the production is very good, so are the performances (by some fairly big-name actors as well). Where the picture is lacking is in Zach Braff's script, which seems mostly culled from situations taken from other movies.

When you're as young as Braff is, you haven't really lived enough to use the experience as film fodder. Braff's experience looks to be from watching movies, then repeating the same trite clichés in his own movie. In Garden State, he plays Andrew Largeman, a semi-successful Hollywood actor who returns to his hometown in New Jersey to bury his mother, who took her own life after suffering in a wheelchair for many years. He appears to have no feeling about any of this; he has no relationship with his father, who blames him for causing his mother's paralysis in a freak accident as a six-year-old, and has no particular despondency over losing his mother (in fact, he attends a party right after the burial to which he was invited by a friend of his, who works as a cemetery grave-digger). It all smacks heavily of "Beautiful Girls", also about a guy who returns to his hometown to "find himself" and hang with his old friends, with a little "Ordinary People" thrown in on the side.

It's really a miracle Braff could accomplish anything at all in his life, given his father and his useless friends (I'm surprised he didn't kill himself), who are still living their "lives" as though they're still in high school, partying with dumb bimbos, drinking and drugging, etc. None of them even recognize him from his TV role as the "retarded quarterback" (Natalie Portman's character, the most aware person in the movie, does), and say things, like "Hey, I remember you from Junior year". These guys are such losers, for them, watching television would be a cultural leap forward. Even one friend, who made millions inventing a silent Velcro, has no real reason to live, because his whole frame of reference is high school and partying. And you don't need big money to party like a high school sophomore.

Braff, it is revealed, is heavily medicated, which keeps from "feeling" and dealing with anything, really, like an adult would. Then he meets Sam (Natalie Portman) a sort-of lost girl, who gives pet funerals and lives with her mother like a 10-year-old in a bedroom that looks like a pink doll house blown up to life size. Anyway, they fall in love, and Braff learns to "feel" again. The clichés come fast and furious. Braff has a long delayed heart-to-heart talk with his cold, distancing father and tells him What It Is and The Name Of The Game. In one scene, Braff and Portman are in the millionaire kid's house, playing touchy-feely is front of a giant fireplace, and the bit is so routine, so standard movie-schtick, I swear, I half-expected somebody to walk up and throw a sled into the fire. In another, Braff visits a doctor (Ron Liebman) to get his junk refilled, and Liebman tells him (in easily the worst line in the movie) "The body can play tricks on you. I once found my ex-best-friend's cufflinks in my wife's purse, and I didn't have an erection for a year and a half." Obviously, no licensed physician would ever say that, but it's dirtbag poetry, a nod from Braff to, I guess, his loser friends to let them know he's still thinking of them, just as the "37" joke in "Clerks", was Kevin Smith's nod to his dirtbag buddies.

Anyway, Braff finds true happiness and gets off the dope; the story plays itself out predictably. But if you're going to have a movie that's wall-to-wall clichés, at least give it some charming performances to breathe some life into it. And Braff does. He has the right sort of vacancy, of casual acceptance to make his role as the zonked-out Andrew both real and poignant, and Natalie Portman (also of Beautiful Girls) gives the movie a big lift. With her tiny features and flickering expressions of mood, she just about steals the picture as his traveling companion. Jean Smart is surprisingly good as Portman's mother, and Peter Saarsgard (though much better in "Shattered Glass") is notable as the gravedigger friend. I would recommend "Garden State" if you can't get enough storybook romance out of movies, but when people start hailing it as a masterpiece, they're just clueless. Braff thinks you can take the same old tired plot, write in a few "f**ks" and "awesomes" and slap on an acoustic rock soundtrack and that contemporizes the material. It doesn't.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Unpolished Movie With Blatant First-Timer Mistakes
mzazaian28 August 2004
Perhaps the most notable and visible issue with this film is the narrative structure. The writing is done in a sort of encounter-to-encounter style, like a layman's Odyssey. I feel though that this is not a result of a specific film styling but rather poor writing on the part of Zach Braff, who, mind you, is not the Epstein brothers (of Casablanca fame) but rather a TV actor who is breaking into the big screen for the first time. As a result, plot weaving becomes non-existent, and character development, even in the case of Large (the main character) is shallow and doesn't really show much change, or rather, the script doesn't provide an opportunity for change. When he then has an epiphany at the end of the film, a terribly contrived moment, he praddles off everything that he already knew as if it were terribly profound, and the moment entirely misses.

Also, characters, specifically Large, seem to go off on philosophical tangents which are neither profound nor insightful, but seem to be what he really wants the audience to derive from his movie. In this classic case of "Telling" instead of "showing," I personally was annoyed as I felt that as an intelligent viewer I didn't need to be spoon-fed these ideas but rather, as in any well-written movie or literary piece, could have derived them from the work itself without them being thrown into my face.

Please keep in mind that this was something of a Devil's advocate opinion as I did enjoy parts of the film, and certainly recommend it above most of the other films in theaters now.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Garden State of mind.
hall1000019 December 2004
GARDEN STATE a film by Zach Braff.

What ever happened to the BREAKFAST CLUB kids? well they headed down to middle suburbia in the garden state where angst has turned into an utterly depressing feeling and reality is not a place where you wanna spend 24 hours a day. Andrew (BRAFF) is a failed actor trying to make it in LA, when his mother dies he is forced to go back to his town in New Jersey for a couple of days where he reencounters his past. This might sound familiar till you met the Klingon medieval knight, the man who reinvented the wheel with a twist and the misfits version of Noe's biblical apocalypse, to top that Andrew's family is the mount Himalayas of dysfunctional families facing a Murphy's law gone mad kind of scenario. He put his mother on a wheel chair when he was nine and has his own father giving psychiatric advice and a lot of pills. The last thing I would expect from the funny doctor of SCRUBS is to write, direct and act in what is hands down the best story of the year. Already comparisons with ALLEN let me tell you that for a debut feature he has managed to trash the early years and move straight to the best subtle blend of comedy and drama that are MANHATTAN and ANNIE HALL. There is nothing classic about the structure that works as a relentless succession of magic moments chain together with great gags. Something that opens musically with COLDPLAY can not possibly go wrong and it doesn't, gets even better when we are introduced to the song "that will change your life, I promise" or so says Sam (NATALIE PORTMAN), I'm not sure if somethings can be change that easy but certainly will have you running to buy the soundtrack when the credits roll, the song NEW SLANG... the band THE SHINS. BRAFF acts his way out even when he struggles with the more dramatic bits thanks to his companions. I have never understood all the buzz with PORTMAN so he played an OK role in LEON and moved on to the galaxy far away... so what? I really think this is the turning point for her, at least she has been given the chance to chew a very challenging persona and delivers an honest performance and then we get PETER SARSGARD who is mastering the art of getting great chunks of acting from the STAR WARS puppets as he did with VADER in SHATTERED GLASS. He is the most talented actor of this crew following GABRIEL BYRNE advice that in acting the most important things are looks, movements and silences. In the best year for both music and films since the Tarantino revolution I dare to say, if you only watch one film this year make it to GARDEN STATE and you better make it quick because HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS may have that edge. Like the SHINS would say "it's a luscious mix of words and tricks", watch it. *****
53 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like a bad student film.
murdertogo30 January 2005
The fact that the movie made only 26 mil in 26 weeks clearly shows how poorly it was written. This, of course, is a common problem with actor ego projects. The story has many unnecessary scenes that don't connect or contribute at all to the story or characters but are thrown in for the sake of getting a cheap laugh - like the knight in the kitchen and the fast motion party scenes. The entire film is full of extra meaningless shots and scenes that could easily be and should have been cut. Why should we care about this character? The film contains virtually no conflict or drama, or emotion, or humor, or cleverness or originality. We have no reason to care one way or the other about Graff. Other than the girlfriend, who is well written, everyone else is straight out of a bad college student film, as are most of the scenes and the story in general. The movie was so concerned with trying to be anti-Hollywood that it failed to be anything else but that. There is virtually no story here, just style in place of substance, and the style isn't even new or different - rather straight from the 70s. So if you're a college student longing for the old days of the 60s & 70s, you'll really enjoy this film. For the rest of the world - well, Nepolion Dynamite made almost double the box office and that wasn't so great either, but at least it was original.
41 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Completely pointless
Sammy_Sam_Sam21 September 2006
It's very rare that I come away from a film feeling that it had absolutely no redeeming features. I can however say with all certainty that this is definitely one of them. It's got a horrible 'trendy' soundtrack, rubbish characters (Portman is irritating beyond belief) and I just can't understand why it even exists. I don't mind a love story; I like subtle ones as well as the cheesy stuff, but this is just useless. I'm sure some readers of the Guardian (lefty UK newspaper) will enjoy it, but that's by no means a recommendation...

It started off a bit 'Grosse Point Blank' like (although that is clearly a great movie), then it descended into a poor man's 'Lost in Translation'. Two people connecting... that's about all I got from this movie. The jokes aren't funny, in fact I did wonder at one point if I was even supposed to laugh! I feel sad that I wasted my time watching it and I sincerely hope that you don't make the same mistake. Why it has such a high rating on here, I'll never know, but at least it means I might get some money back selling it on eBay!
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this