IMDb > If Only (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
If Only

If Only More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

too romantic but not for all

Author: a_shyam41 from United States
16 January 2006

The actors have to be given full credit for making it look like a real romantic movie. JLH is just stunning and if somebody doesn't cry when she does in the end, this movie is not for them. There is another scene which will make every guy cry if he truly loves somebody, is where Paul Nicholls admits to JLH that she taught him about love before getting into the fateful cab. Even one of such extremely romantic scenes will make any movie better even if it has some holes in it like this one has in the form of JLH entry into Paul's meeting room and both spending time outside London in one day and returning on time. But for those, it is an excellent movie which can keep you sitting in the same position for 92 minutes if you love somebody or being loved!!!

I loved it...

Author: phoebe_566
12 May 2006

I've heard a lot of spoilers from my classmate who had watched this movie. And from those spoilers, I thought the movie was good.... Then when the moment came for me to watch it, I realized, it was not good......ITS A WORK OF A GENIUS!!! I really loved it....It is certainly one of those movies which can definitely make not only girls cry, but also the boys... One of my friends brought her boyfriend to the theater to watch this movie...and unexpectedly, they came out of the movie house BOTH puffy-eyed... It was really heart-breaking... It showed a kind of love that was sublime....It really makes most of us realize that LOVE MUST CONQUER THE POWER OF TIME...It was really worth watching...

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen

Author: Jennie from United States
16 January 2006

This is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It teaches you the importance of letting your loved ones know how you feel because you never know what life has in store for you. Ian doesn't know how to let his girlfriend know how he feels. He's afraid to show his true feelings and hides behind his work so he doesn't have too. Samantha is just the opposite. She loves Ian with all of her soul and isn't afraid to show how she feels. They get into a fight one day about this very thing and she runs off and climbs into a cab to then die when another car slams into the cab. Ian is heartbroken and regretful that he no longer has the chance to show her how much he truly loved her. He wakes up the next day to find Sam lying next to him in the bed. The day has started all over so that he has the chance to get it right this time. The rest of the movie is about him trying to do just that. If you ever have the chance to see this movie, I highly recommend it. I, myself was blubbering like an idiot through the whole thing. It gives you a very sweet, romantic, and life-altering view on life. I'll say it once more, I LOVE THIS MOVIE. It doesn't hurt that the guy who plays Ian is one of the sexiest men I've ever seen either. lol

Water down Groundhog Day and add some sap.

Author: thesociety from San Pedro
26 January 2005

Who are all these people who rate this movie so highly? You don't have to watch a lot of love story movies to know this one is just average for the genre. The premise is, you get a second chance to spend your last day together with your love, what do you do? Why not ask your lover, and then do it? Now drag it out for 90 minutes of movie time. So many pointless scenes that could have been replaced with scenes of substance that involve the story or premise, instead of just space filler. The acting was OK, Jennifer did a competent job but Paul Nichols could have used a little more emotional reaction. He just kept staring into her face with odd looks of endearment, but when you see those tears, he's hardly convincing. Love stories are great when you truly believe they are in love. The story here waddled between trying to make you believe their love, and trying to make you believe their actions based on the premise. The supporting cast were all props, of no interest.

This movie does fit into the better half of the love story / date movies, but is far from a "must see". It might make you ask your significant other what they would do if they knew it was their last day, but you'll forget the movie soon enough.

The best film in the world

Author: swimsington25 from California
28 July 2004

I saw this movie in a preview experience in Orange Ca. It was almost two years ago and i have been patiently waiting for it to come out in theaters. i just got a note that it is going to start opening around the world in September, but that doesn't help me much. WHEN WILL IT OPEN IN America. it was the best movie i have ever seen with a love story to die for. even one of my best guy friends cried while watching this movie. and he came out loving it just as much as i did. it is a movie that everyone will be able to relate to and in my eyes this movie is a perfect 100!!! i hope i will see it again soon and remember if you are planning on seeing it bring a box of tissues!!!

A true waste of time

Author: Yossi Naar from Israel
19 January 2005

While against what some might call reason, i rather like Jennifer Love Hewitt, this movie was really terrible. See, Hewitt has some fetching quality i like, which does show in this movie, but is not enough to make it worth while.

"If only" tells a very predictable and unreliable love story between a socially dysfunctional English guy, with whom for some reason Jennifer is in love, and an aspiring musician (how original a part for Jennifer). not wanting to spoil the movie for anyone, i will not go any further describing the plot, not that i believe its possible to spoil it (any more then you might be able to spoil rotten eggs), however some people might actually watch this film, and i wouldn't want to ruin it for them. i'd much rather let the film do it.

its hard to tell if the acting was bad , since the script is so awful i don't think even good actors could have made this movie seem plausible or at least fun to watch.

i would like to finish with a positive note, so i will say this: the good thing about this movie is that after a while it ends.

Don't say i didn't warn you.

Fantastic

Author: swimsington25 from California
22 January 2004

I could not believe how impowering this move is. I did not want it to end and i cannot wait to see it again. THis is the ultimate in romantic love stories that everyone will surly enjoy. It is a must see movie that will surely do very well as soon as it comes out. I am so glad i got to see it before the rest of the world and i cant wait to see it again!!!

Love is so pure ... if only

Author: dipak-bose from India
26 May 2011

Last night i saw this movie, i really think characters are so real, they could just have been the one next door, anything like this can happen, you need something to let you know you have to tell how much you love anyone, a bit of magic??? may be, but i must tell this movie is great, a sad feeling at the end, but very realistic, even though i would have preferred a happy ending, I'm a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt, i think her performance was really natural, this is not a movie about the actors and their performances, this is a movie about a real problem "not knowing how to show i love you", a problem many of us have. I think this movie may help people re-dimension the way they express their feeling to their loved ones, I really like the songs too, can't believe J Love Hewitt have a great voice ..

Similar movie

Author: Dimitar Petkov from Bulgaria
17 May 2011

This movie is great, romantic story about love that I am sure everyone wants. To love someone so much that you would die for him. I almost cry on it. While watching it I have remembered that there was another movie like this and because I really love this kind of movies, I searched and finally found it. Well I have searched a couple of days but the point is that I did it. Because I know that there are other people like me that loves this movies, that want to love and be loved like this. Thats why I am writing the name of the movie here - so you will be able to find it and to watch it too and hopefully love it like me. So if you like this kind of movies too then I recommend you also "Three Days".

An outstanding movie with outstanding performance.

Author: Anupam Ganguly from India
2 July 2010

First of all I must salute Mr. for his best efforts of making the movie perfect enough to someone's heart. Also I wish to give my special thanks to Paul Nicholls for the wonderful acting, especially when he is crying against the hospital's O.T door glass. The story line is very interesting as the viewer will wait with the interest of what will happen next. Music is also very touchy. Expressions and emotions of Jennifer Love Hewitt was so natural and intrinsic that no one will be able to recall any particular scene of her act with something special or extraordinary, after viewing the film. And the chemistry between both the lead actors was very good. A must see film for everyone who is in love and who wishes to be in love, and who was in love, or who will be in love.