IMDb > If Only (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
If Only

If Only More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Not what I was expecting...better

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
21 January 2016

This wasn't at all what I was expecting but I really enjoyed it. I went in assuming it was going to be a light hearted Hallmark-y type romance then Hallmarks version of 'Groundhog Day'. Ultimately it wasn't either of these, turning instead into a touching if somewhat mystical romantic drama including action-movie type sequences set with fast paced music and lots of running.

I guess the closest thing I could compare it to it to is 'Sliding Doors', all about fate and destiny and what ifs -I'd turned left instead of right. Also set in London the story here follows Ian, a businessman who gets to relive the day his spirited musician girlfriend, Samantha, died in an taxi crash. The acting is well done, the story surprising and tearful.

Grief stricken Ian can't get over how awful their last day together was; he didn't tell her he loved her, they almost broke up and he definitely didn't pay attention when it mattered. Now with the help of a mystical cab driver (Tom Wilkinson) he has a chance to relive the day all over again in the hopes of changing the events that led up to her getting killed.

Jennifer Love Hewitt does a great job with her character and looks fantastic in this -very likable and fun. I also was impressed with her singing capabilities, as well as her on screen chemistry with co-star Paul Nicholls. He also does a good job especially with some of the more heartfelt scenes and there are several. I enjoyed the London setting and the scenery in general. Tom Wilkinson, in a small role is suitably creepy and very enjoyable. And wow was I surprised as hell by the ending, not at all what I was expecting. This was a surprise hit for me. 12/24/15

bad first half but it gets a little better

Author: SnoopyStyle
27 September 2015

English Ian Wyndham (Paul Nicholls) lives with his American girlfriend Samantha Andrews (Jennifer Love Hewitt) in London. She wants to go back to Ohio for her mother's wedding but he refuses. He had forgotten about her graduation concert. He cracks his watch. He has a big meeting and reschedules a business dinner so he could go to the concert. She embarrasses him interrupting his meeting. After work, he takes the taxi and starts talking to the driver (Tom Wilkinson). She can't take his callousness anymore and breaks up with him. He lets her leave in the taxi and it gets T-boned killing her. The next morning, he's shocked to wake up next to Sam and it's Groundhog Day.

The first 30 minutes is a boring tiresome story. The guy is a clueless stiff who is driving his girlfriend away. It's not a good relationship and I don't care about its survival. The audience isn't given much to root for in this movie. It kills off the only endearing character at 45 minutes but don't worry, it's Groundhog Day. The movie gets a little better. It's trying to do something poetic. The dialog is clunky at times and Love's singing isn't my particular thing. I don't think she's that good of a singer. It's a really bad start and the second half is a bit better.

Hmmm...

Author: Bob An from Serbia
5 May 2015

It is a nice movie. From the ratings and some reviews here, I thought it was much better and expected something ...more ... Well, more never came, but it is not really something that actually makes the movie worse. Actually I don't know what I expected... The story is interesting. Two 'points of views' of the event is nice 'catch' . I can see the moral of the film: enjoy life, tell people who you love that you love them and similar... It is nice all that. Jennifer was really great! I could really feel like she meant all the words. She was also too sweet. In a good way. Not too cheesy. The main male role is also good. They were good together. So, I guess that makes the movie good too, but not excellent.

Though I liked the words of two songs she sings, I think that the movie could have passed without them. Somehow, they ruined the film a bit for me... If she did not sing them, but if they were as a background to some scene, it would have been better...But that's just my opinion.

Seven from me.

Do you hide your love?

Author: Kushal Ashok (kushal.ashok@gmail.com) from Delhi, India
17 April 2014

Scientists have proved that our brain creates new cells whenever we create a memory. This movie will tell you everything in the beginning but will keep you on your toes up till the end. If you already knew what is going to happen tomorrow, would you try changing some things; or would you not play with your fate and just let it be?

It not only makes you think about your deja vu experiences but also leads your mind in the direction of love. The love that we seldom express and try to keep hidden.

After watching this movie, you are certainly going to understand love more. You may or may have not fallen in romantic love, but the love for your parents, friends or even a class-mate can be felt and expressed better if you grasp this movie in the right manner.

Go tell your loved ones what they mean to you.

If only

Author: dumkpk from India
17 October 2013

Silently I wept....strains of feelings are still there.... I do not find right words to express my feelings....because feeling are feelings...The moment i saw the film started I got a feeling this should be a good movie..why...because the way it started... when the movie finished ,the time was 11:45pm....i was fresh...sleep did not came for another two hours... I was fresh...No sleepy mood...Every one who saw the movie knew the reason... I wanted to know the entire cast of the movie....IMDb came in my mind...did a lot just to satisfy myself, after all this is a movie ....do not feel this a real one....such was my, my ...

SHOULD NOT be missed, creatures.

Author: vtdevilangel
28 September 2013

Okay. I know it seems to be a little boring from the plot summary. The same old story about love and realizations. That's where you're absolutely wrong. This movie is anything but typical. The moment it starts you're expecting nothing special to happen and honestly , you don't even get why you're seeing what you're seeing. But everything makes perfect sense a little while later. When it ends, it leaves you with a tear in your eyes and a newly born will power - to do anything for your loved ones. It makes you realize how you take them for granted in your day to day life. Go watch this movie if you want to be completely inspired and utterly in love with your life. I ensure you , you will stop complaining. Life is a beautiful gift, utilize it.

You should expect the unexpected. You think you know everything that this movie is about, well, you got it all wrong.

Author: Robert Tudor from Bucharest, Romania
3 August 2013

I saw this movie today (9 years from the actual release date) and what started as a simple, normal movie, it ended exactly the opposite way.

The acting is beautiful carried out by Love-Hewitt and Nicholls, the soundtrack is astonishing and both tracks performed by Love-Hewitt are dazzling. Tom Wilkinson doesn't do much, but it helps boosts the film ratings with magnificent acting.

The film points something about life: You can never change it's normal course, you just need to see the little things in front of you.

The writer did a great job, although there are some gaps in the script, but the director nailed it perfectly.

In a simple conclusion, see the movie, don't expect anything above the fact that you will get a little bit sad. I did, because I was in a some sort of a same situation..

I cried and cried...Absolutely Beautiful...

Author: barendbkj
6 July 2013

WOW!! Now here's the romance of the decade. It begins quite stupid at first and when I saw Jennifer Love Hewitt I thought maybe to give it a pass. Boy was I wrong!! Heart-warming doesn't even come close to describing "If Only". It's a story about love in it's purest form. About realizing that any moment some one you care for can be taken away and you have the be certain you did everything to make your life meaningful with that some one. Jennifer was actually good for a change and when she sang at the end of the movie she just added to the passion that drives the story. If you're looking for a movie that will make you smile, make you think, make you cry and leave you touched...If Only is the way to go...

Painfully stupid

Author: dorikol from Edinburgh, Scotland
17 June 2013

The basic concept of the story is quite interesting, but the movie is badly written, with an unbelievable storyline.

They decide to leave London around 11 o'clock to see Ian's home town, they end up in a place looking like Isle of Skye, climb a hill, spend time in a cottage, go to a bar, get back to London and they still have time to go home and change before Samantha's concert- which starts at 7pm!?

Ian steals Samantha's song- which is written for a singer, gives it to the conductor right before the concert and voilà- the entire symphonic orchestra knows their part including the huge choir... right...

The ending is also silly- why would you get into a taxi which you know is going to crash????

On the top of this, Paul Nicholls was way overacting his part.

All in all, the idea is good, but the story is nonsense. Watch Groundhog day instead.

Just another pointless love story.

Author: Aidiera from Phoenix
8 July 2012

I know I'm not the target audience, but if I wanna watch this movie, you can't stop me. I read the plot synopsis and was intrigued, but the movie fell rather short of my expectations. The two main characters have awful chemistry. Hewitt is the stereotypical love interest, which is disappointing because she's a good actress and a very good singer. Ian Nicholls is someone I've never heard of, and for good reason. He was terrible and boring.

Movies like this require you to become emotionally attached to their characters, which involves suspension of disbelief. I've never been able to follow that mindset, so this wasn't saddening at all to me. Worst of all, the ending was super clichéd and I saw it coming.