IMDb > 11:14 (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
11:14

11:14 More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Good Movie

Author: bob-rutzel from United States
3 January 2006

Four stories seemingly unrelated to each other collide for our amusement. This is serious stuff, but there are some very comical scenes here and you will laugh out loud at times.

If you know what a space time continuum is, you will understand and enjoy this movie. If you do not know what a space time continuum is you will eventually understand and enjoy this movie. But, you will say , "hey, everything is in reverse order. What am I to make of it?" But, make of it you will, just don't try to understand too much at first. Every character tries to do the right thing and ends up doing something wrong. Some get away with it, and some don't. Go with the flow and all will be revealed. Very good, well acted, scripted and the stunts are good too.

In some ways, this reminded me of FARGO except nothing was planned; and in other ways of CRASH, but interacting with others was not intended. This is a good movie and enjoyable to watch to see how things come full circle.

promising debut

Author: RanchoTuVu from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
2 December 2005

A pretty interesting story, a fast pace, good acting, directing, editing, written with a wicked sense of humor, that has characters based on the people one might see on an episode of "COPS", it all takes place in the span of a summer's evening in a subversive burg known as Middletown, and has as its center of gravity the movement of its characters who finally are brought together at a hit and run accident scene. It has a low budget look with settings lit by street lights and messy vehicles full of fast food wrappers and empty bottles. While the characters are not going to inspire much empathy, the slam bang movement and the threads that ingeniously tie everything together raise it up a few notches.

A Cinematic Rush Races Against A Clock: Outstanding Ensemble Work

Author: museumofdave from Paradise, California
15 April 2013

After I watched this adventure for the first time, I read through a batch of IMDb reviews, and was amazed at the variation of opinions on this movie, which in itself is not a bad thing; few films can please everyone. I call this film an "adventure" because it moves, every second, every minute, and if you give yourself to it, you're along for a major cinematic rush, a ride that starts when a drunken driver hits a body and the driver attempts to hide the evidence...the high rating is given simply because I was involved in the film from the initial moments, and stayed that way because of the outstanding ensemble work, the dedication to dazzle the viewer with plot twist after plot twist, weaving threads that will somehow come together.

I know this isn't Citizen Kane or Tokyo Story or Lawrence of Arabia--it's not important in any way, except as a thriller, and I was thrilled with a movie without attitude, without silly violence (eyeballs popping for the fun of it, that sort of thing), without an agenda. It's mirrors the way our lives can sometime be--things happen coincidentally and without any stated purpose, but with a strange logic. I went out and bought a used copy right after I saw it and have enjoyed foisting it off on friends.

You'll Only Understand this Review If you've Seen this Film

Author: dallasryan from United States
30 April 2012

God was taking no prisoners at the O Karma Corral on this day at 11:14pm. The words of the day are in fact 'Karma' and 'Assuming' as far as this movie is concerned. Really top notch acting all around, with a fantastic, smart and slick story. Hilary Swank, Patrick Swayze, Rachael Leigh Cook, and Shawn Hatosy are performances that really stand out in this one. This movie is indeed a text book example of a movie that could have been great, but it's music score killed it.

It was almost as if the Producers ran out of money when it came to doing the music score in which they got a cheap deal to do the music score at a Funeral Home or a Piano Organ Store. An awful music score that made me have to give this movie a 7, instead of a 9 if it would have had a good to terrific music score. I don't think Producers and Directors realize how important the music score is sometimes. Who knows, if it would have had a great music score, it might have gotten a theatrical release, you never know.

You could almost make a comedy series off this movie too, I could just see a Judge in Court figuring out this whole mess and then he says, "Will the Wienerless Boy Wonder please rise" "Excuse Me?" "You're not excused. Now isn't it true that the Engineer who made Robocop worked on you as well, and now they call you Robowiener?" "What?" "And I'm just curious, when you're wiener went flying out the window, did it fly like the Feather in Forrest Gump with the theme music in the background?" "What are you talking about Judge?"

Then I could also see the Judge talking to the Patrick Swayze character, where the Judge says, "You found a dead body in a cemetery, yet you threw it onto the freeway, you have to see the irony in that." Cut to where the Judge talks to both Patrick Swazye's character(the father)and Barbara Hershey's character(the mother):

"You have to admit folks, it's pretty funny(The Father and Mother don't laugh). I mean sir, you thought this poor sap was trying to hurt your daughter, therefore you assumed that's why she did what she did, but it turns out after further evidence that he went out with a 'bang', he did indeed get off before he got off. As we now know, you're daughter sir was riding the victim like a pony to where the head fell on his head. And Mam(to the mother), you have to see the humor to where after you hit that kid in the head with your flashlight, which he's got a Head of Steel, not even a scratch or anything on his Magneto Skull, but you told him he'd burn in hell for killing your daughter, when in fact he hit the body your husband through onto the road, but yet your daughter did know him, she was going to run off with him lol. Oh boy, you have to see the laughter in all of this(The Father and Mother don't laugh, they just stand there)."

You could make a whole TV series out of this show, lots of drama, and funny mishaps going on here. A very good movie, could have been great had it not been for that dreadful music score.

Excellent and quirky comic thriller

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
14 January 2012

I loved this low budget thriller, which plays around with narrative in much the same way as PULP FICTION and to just as good effect – albeit on a much smaller budget. The story is told from five different points of view of characters who converge together in a small town on one fateful night. It's a darkly humorous film with plenty of odd, did-I-just-see-that incidents going on, and the writing is so intricate, so fresh and intriguing that I don't think anyone could dislike it.

Thinking back over this film now, I can't help but chuckle at many of the sequences. The best, by far, involves Patrick Swayze as a dedicated dad attempting to 'clean up' after his daughter. Just the thought of him chasing after that darn dog through the storm drain…great stuff indeed. Elsewhere, we get a hilarious and unusual turn from Hilary Swank as a dim-witted convenience store employee who somehow becomes embroiled in…well, I won't say it, but it had me in stitches. Henry Thomas puts his E.T. days far behind him as a drunk driver, Colin Hanks displays some of the convincing talent that made his dad a star, and Ben Foster has one of those outlandish/OTT roles (like the one in HOSTAGE) before he hit the big time.

I'm guessing this is a 'love it or hate it' type of film. Some, like me, will be drawn into the bizarre and intense situations. Others will dismiss this as an overly-complex, small scale drama featuring people who are on screen for too short a time to really like or care about. But I thought it was great, it's a film that really 'spoke' to me and one of those I could watch over and over again.

Twisted fun

Author: dave-sturm from Baltimore
5 July 2010

Approach this as an absurdly contrived, violent stretch of black comedy, and you will have a great time. It also matters a lot that Hilary Swank is in it (she also co-produced), because she gives a performance as a high-strung, braces-wearing convenience store clerk that is nothing short of wonderful.

11:14 very much recalls 1999's Go, which also featured teenagers getting into trouble using a fractured narrative. Any one who has seen one of these and enjoyed it, definitely check out the other.

As it opens, a guy is driving into the town of Middleton (the slogan on the sign says, insipidly, "A Happy Place to Live!"). He's drunk, there's a crash and then there's a dead man lying by the road. He panics and tries to get rid of the body. A police car pulls up. And the fun begins.

As events unfold, we see five separate story threads along a fractured timeline. We meet three teenage yahoos driving recklessly in a van, a worried mother and father and their ripe and trashy teenage daughter, and boy and girl (Swank) convenience store clerks named Duffy and Buzzy. These people are out on the night streets of this sleepy burg (all the action in the movie happens within several blocks) and they frequently cross each other's paths on their way to a common destiny that happens at 11:14.

The highlight of the movie is definitely when Buzzy (Swank) comes across Duffy's revolver and begins fooling around with it, jumping around the store in her own little action movie. Then, the scene featuring Duffy, Buzzy and gunfire is hilarious.

Finally, the cemetery hook-up between Cheri and her boyfriend is a big laugh coming down the highway because we've already seen the puzzling outcome, and now we get to see how something so ridiculous could possibly happen.

All good things to Greg Marcks, the young writer-director. Interested to see what he does next.

Oh, and steer clear of Middleton, especially at night. The people there are crazy.

Wickedly Brilliant!!!

Author: s_nishant from United States
11 July 2009

I just saw this movie on a channel. Found the synopsis interesting and started watching it. And boy, was I surprised! I am delighted and after a long time a movie on TV had me hooked right till the end. I would highly recommend this movie. Watch it and you will be glad that you did.

Am also surprised that I never heard of it before.

The different stories have been smoothly blended. It also reminded me of Tarantino's Pulp-Fiction. The acting is great. Patrick Swayze was awesome. Rachel perfectly fit into the character. Hillary Swank was also good.

The plot is simple and starts with an accident that occurs at 11:14pm and from then on the story unfolds in a wickedly brilliant way.

9 out of 10.

A Very Very Dark Comedy

Author: Neil Turner from Annapolis, Maryland
8 November 2008

We have here a dark comedy - a very dark comedy. It centers around a series of seemingly unrelated events that all converge at 11:14 pm. The participants in the action are a father trying to keep his daughter from dating a disreputable fellow, some teenagers out for some not-so-wholesome fun, and a man cheating on his spouse. Along the way, there is robbery, murder, mayhem, lots and lots of blood, and one severed penis.

This is a little movie and therefore not populated with big star power. Instead, it is filled with actors who prove their mettle with solid performances. Actually, there is one actor in the film who has become a sought-after star. Hilary Swank gives her usual fine performance as a golden-hearted girl without too much brain power. Shawn Hatosy and Rachel Leigh Cook are two popular young stars who add to the quality of the acting in this film. The seasoned stars who appear are Henry Thomas (seasoned even though he still has that baby face), Barbara Hershey, and Patrick Swayze. I slight Swayze a bit as he tends to overplay his character, but his role as the harried father allows for some latitude.

Greg Marcks has done an excellent job at writing and directing a tight, fast-paced, highly energetic film. There have been many movies of this genre produced in the past decade in which seeming unrelated events come together at a point of climax, and this one ranks near the top in sheer entertainment value. I could find no loose ends.

Be forewarned that this film is bloody and violent. If you can accept the extreme violence that seems to have become an integral part of many modern films, watch this one and get ready for an exciting roller coaster ride of absurd actions and unbelievable coincidences.

Fate can change in seconds

Author: moviewizguy from United States
17 August 2008

Tells the seemingly random yet vitally connected story of a set of incidents that all converge one evening at 11:14pm. The story follows the chain of events of five different characters and five different story lines that all converge to tell the story of murder and deceit.

Look at the poster and trailer for this movie, if you can. What does it look like? Probably something like "Crash," right? Probably a drama? Yeah, that's what I thought until I saw the movie. What's hidden behind the poster and trailer for this movie is that it turns out to be a completely different movie, and that can either mean a good thing or a bad thing.

For me, it turned out to be a good thing. The movie is actually a dark comedy. Yes, I said COMEDY. That being said, I found the movie surprisingly enjoyable, with a lot of good laughs. There's also the creative plot, used in movies like "Rashomon," "Vantage Point," and "Pulp Fiction." If you like those kinds of movies, you'll enjoy this.

The performances were all great, although there was one or two lines throughout the film that were entirely laughable and dumb. The movie runs a quick 82 minutes so everything is fast paced in here. Just don't expect something like "Crash" or a drama because it isn't. Watch the movie if you enjoy the movies I've stated above. If you don't, still watch it because it's very entertaining as hell and very funny.

Strange, confusing, lots of style, very good!

Author: blanche-2 from United States
20 June 2008

A good cast, including Patrick Swayze, Barbara Hershey, Hilary Swank, Henry Thomas and Clark Gregg star in "11:14," the story of a fatal car crash from five points of view. All of the stories are intertwined and all lead up to the disastrous crash. In the aftermath, two people are dead, another is horribly injured, two people are under arrest and one father is frantic.

Director/writer Greg Marcks even manages to build some humor into this dark story, as well as a shakedown, robbery and drunkenness. The film really holds one's interest, as naturally some of the elements remain confusing until nearly the end. I confess that the first time I saw Patrick Swayze's actions, I could not figure out what he was doing - I thought I had tuned into a horror movie. Not quite, but there were definitely horror elements.

There's nothing particularly likable about any of the characters, but Swank and Shawn Hatosy, who play two workers in a 7-11 type store, have the funny scene. He needs to rob the store; she fears for her job and insists that if he's going to steal, he needs to shoot her. When he picks some skin up on her arm to shoot through it, she yells "OW!" He can't believe that she thinks that hurts and yet wants to be shot.

The Barbara Hershey character was the only one that hit a wrong note; she could easily have been eliminated. That character didn't look as if she lived in that house or had that daughter. In fact, you really had the feeling that Swayze was raising the girl alone.

All in all, a very intriguing film using that different points of view style that is very popular today and using it very well.