IMDb > Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A Return to the Roots

Author: ghd2005 from Los Angeles
20 June 2004

5 of 5 stars if you aren't a miserable person.

I recently caught this movie on a red eye flight from Los Angeles to New York. I watched it on a five inch screen with sound only in one ear. I grew up with Scooby Doo and it was always my second favorite cartoon show after Duck Tales. The first movie I thought was disappointing, but the sequel is spectacular. It brings back lots of the original villains from the show's first season. It was a lot of fun reliving the childhood silliness (sic) of Scooby Doo, and this movie will bring you back. Plus it has three of the funniest lines in movie history. The cookie line, the bush line, and the cotton candy line. You'll see what I mean, if you don't die first.

Wacky sequel.

Author: ultramatt2000-1 from Orlando, Florida
15 May 2004

Hillarious. Goofy. A wild roller coaster ride, with a hot young cast, and a CGI dog. I haven't seen such wackiness since INSPECTOR GADGET and DUDLEY DOO-RIGHT. The Tar Monster reminds me of Chode from Sci-Fi Channel's TRIPPING THE RIFT. The Black Knight Ghost reminded me of the straight silver robot that replaced Gus from TRIPPING THE RIFT. It is cool that they took various monsters from such well known episodes of the cartoon. Thank God that they didn't include the gorilla-like creature, we have enough gorillas for almost a century! The voice work for Scooby and the monsters were great! But the Tar Monster, and The Skeleton people look absolutely cartoonish. I laughed so hard from beginning to end. Since I enjoyed the first one, I will enjoy the second one. There is reference to the horrible cartoon, A PUP NAMED SCOOBY-DOO (see that on "Matthew Rants"). Not actually Coolsville, but also the old wacky cartoon from the late 80's is referenced. When they show the gang as youngsters. The soundtrack is great. The Tazmanian Devil makes a cameo (reminding me of LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION). If there is a SCOOBY DOO 3, bring it on!!! What will be installed for 3? Scooby Dumb? Scooby Dee? The Blue Falcon and Dog Wonder? I bet SCOOBY DOO 3 will have aliens in it. This film is fun for the family.

So much better than the first (sorry) attempt...

Author: kitkat9 from Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
7 May 2004

I am a "Scooby Doo" fanatic!! No one was more excited about the live action version back in 2002 than me (although I was looking forward to a Scarborough-esque retelling when Mike Myers was still attached to the project (complete with a Barenaked Ladies cover of the second greatest theme song in television history!!)). I, a 30+ year-old woman, much to the chagrin and delight of my friends/work colleagues, even had a "Scooby Doo" countdown. I bought my nieces and friends (forced to accompany me to what was sure to be the film event of a generation) Scooby-Doo merchandise. Nothing could ruin this moment for me, until I actually saw the film! Needless to say that my utter disappointment in their first attempt (Shaggy is a vegetarian...hello what about all of those salami sandwiches he and Scooby ate in the cartoons!!) didn't put me in a state of readiness for the second offering but my love of that wacky Great Dane and the promise of the superb Seth Green did make me want to see Number 2...a little bit. Well, this time I was not disappointed! They actually got it right this time!! A tribute rather than a joke at the expensive of long time (and yes over 30!) fans and only one fart joke (and not a bad one at that!)! It was great to see all the old monsters creatively redone in CGI! The cast was excellent (ok, it's not Shakespeare but they did a great job with the fantastic, pure camp that they had and it was good, old-fashioned fun camp this time too!). And yes, Seth Green was amazing as ever (psycho, cute, and lovable all wrapped up in one neat little package!) So, go and see SD2, especially if you didn't like the first one. If you're anything like me (and heaven help you if you are!) you'll like it...a lot!!!

Why?

Author: (BIGHAIRY@AOL.COM) from Gateshead, England
4 May 2004

After sitting through this turd of a film I began to wonder why?

Why have I paid £25.00 to see this? Why is my ass aching? Why am I here? Why was this made? Why aren't there any farting dogs? These were just some of the questions going through my head whilst watching this movie. Scooby Doo The Movie (the first one) worked on a couple levels, namely the farting dog & the excellent Matthew Lillard (he is Shaggy). However in the second film these fun elements are mainly overlooked for cheesy dance scenes, Freddy Prinze Jnr & plot (sorry just kidding about the plot). The afore mentioned plot involves someone bringing to life all of Mystery Inc's most famous foe's & the gang trying to solve the mystery (well there's a suprise). The unmasking of the villain at the end is so obvious that even my 7 year old daughter knew what was coming, and the so called adult nudge nudge wink wink jokes rarely hit the spot. There are however a couple of plus points. Matthew Lillard is again excellent (& under-used) as Shaggy & the gorgeous Linda Cardellini is also very good. The CGI effects are also very impressive & there are a couple of good action set-pieces, the Pteradactyl Ghost chasing the Mystery Machine standing out a mile. Overall this is a movie that only appeals to under 12's. My 3 daughters enjoyed it for the most part, but even my youngest commented that "Scooby Doo didn't fart very much". So you see the farting dog did appeal at some level, even if it was at a 32 year old man's & a 3 year old girl's.

This movie is wonderful!!!!

Author: mrscountrypig from Memphis, Tennessee
30 April 2004

We took the kids to see this movie and they thought it was wonderful.. I think it was better than the last movie because it went into more detail and had more funny points to it.

I have read many of the reviews of others. Many have said that this movie wasn't that good. I feel however that this movie was right in line with the original series that I loved to watch as a child. I have been also caught watching Scoobydoo many times with the kids even now.

I think that the only ones that are really making any bad remarks are the ones that weren't really Scooby fans as a child.

This movie had me in the floor on several parts. I think I laughed harder than the kids.

If you want the kids to have something to laugh about then this is the movie that will make them do just that.

Good Movie!

Author: (o_leal30) from United States
28 April 2004

I'm a huge Scooby Doo fan and I personally think that the Sequel was better than the original. I was just as excited when I went to see the first one and I didn't come out disappointed. I loved that the writers incorporated the plots and actions of the old cartoons and brought some of the villains into this film. The cast was brilliant and I thought Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) made the movie. The only thing I think back on is the scene where Velma tries to be a sexy woman and she wasn't good at it, could have been left out. The jokes were cheesy and funny, but thats what makes Scooby Doo. If you liked the first one you will definitely like the Sequel.

Monsters Unleashed is a Kid's Scooby Doo Dream

Author: Victor sen (Miroku2k6@yahoo.com) from U.S.
18 April 2004

The second of the Scooby Doo series so far is a delight for everyone! I personally enjoyed how it was just like the show. It was funny and at times pretty sad and a scare. Although my favorite character is Shaggy(Matthew Lilard), I also enjoyed all the rest of the characters. They each played the part of the characters so well. If you didn't know better, you would think you were inside the movie. This one was as clean as the first one and we can only hope for a third installment of the scooby trilogy. If you and your family are looking for a funfilled movie to see, than Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed is your best bet! I can promise to you that its the best kid movie out there currently.

Elements of interest to many groups

Author: daryl_s from Australia
17 April 2004

Some people may turn their noses up at this one. Another sequel designed to squeeze out another couple of dollars for the franchise. To a degree that may be true (hey, nothing wrong with making a buck!).

That said, this film still contains some items of interest. For the kids, great show, very funny and enjoyable. For those who grew up with the animated series, you will love it. Very true to the original cartoon series with a lot of the same type features and plot devices. For those who are a fan of the "animated actor" (I think we can start to use that phrase now to differentiate a character from just a special effect, I mean, what would the LOTR films be without the input of Golum) there are some great scenes of interaction.

Another thing to note is that this film is not simply a remake of the first film (as a lot of sequels are), this very much stands on it's own feet. However, I do think that this really should be the last feature film we see of the Scooby characters, I honestly don't think a third one will sustain the momentum that well.

Overall - **1/2 stars

Rooby Roo!

Author: John Fernandez (thekennelman) from Sussex, England
16 April 2004

This is pretty much a riot from first to last. I took the kids to see it yesterday (girl,5 boy,6) and although the youngest found it scary in places my eldest giggled all the way through. Highlight of the film was ****minor spoiler**** how Shaggy and Scoob deal with the 'Forty Niner' ghost near the end with a wind breaking spectacular (c'mon, you didn't think they'd lose did you?!) and, no pun intended, for us old farts who remember the original series in the late sixties there's plenty of familiar ghouls and ghosts included (and enough left out to ensure at least a third film.)

True the CGI Scooby, lacks the polish of the bad guys, the best of whom have to be the one-eyed skeletons, but what the heck. He almost has the character and personality of the original, and although he doesn't steal the movie, helps to carry it along with pace and humour. BTW I assume the irony of an animated Scooby in a live action version of the cartoon series isn't lost on you all?

One for the kids, but it'll amuse all but the stoniest of adults who've been dragged along with them.

A movie for your inner child...

Author: evening_nightshade from Scotland
15 April 2004

Sequels mainly fall into two categories: those who surpass the original, and those who fall flat on their faces. To me, Scooby-Doo 2 was neither - it wasn't as good as the first one, but in no way was it a failure. As a fan of the cartoon series since childhood, I felt that the movie achieved its purpose - to entertain.

It *was* a funny movie - maybe not hilarious, but I certainly got a few laughs out of it. Some of the gags were predictable, and some collapsed before they even began, but I felt that the good outweighed the bad.

Perhaps the plot was a bit thin (most viewers with any common sense will have sussed out the bad guy long before the end), but it is, after all, a movie based on a children's TV show. It was never going to be the next Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot, nor was there going to be some totally unexpected twist. If you're willing to let your inner child loose in the cinema, you'll enjoy this movie. Otherwise, go see something else.

Personally, I loved Linda Cardellini's Velma. Let's face it, the roles in this movie weren't exactly Oscar-worthy performances, but I felt that the characters were better developed, especially Velma. We saw a bit more to Daphne and Shaggy too, but Fred was left pretty much alone. If there is to be a 3rd Scooby-Doo movie, I'd like to see the writers tap into him a bit more. Most of the actors seem to capture the cartoon series characters, but Freddie Prinze Jr. has to go a little further to recreate the Fred I remember.

It was nice to see some of the monsters I remembered from the TV series transferred to the big screen. OK, so they weren't even remotely scary, but hey - neither were their cartoon incarnations.

Overall, I'd have to give 'Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed' 6/10 - not a bad movie, but not the best I've ever seen. However, if all you want is children's movie that's not too taxing, then this is for you.