IMDb > Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Good Movie!

Author: (o_leal30) from United States
28 April 2004

I'm a huge Scooby Doo fan and I personally think that the Sequel was better than the original. I was just as excited when I went to see the first one and I didn't come out disappointed. I loved that the writers incorporated the plots and actions of the old cartoons and brought some of the villains into this film. The cast was brilliant and I thought Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) made the movie. The only thing I think back on is the scene where Velma tries to be a sexy woman and she wasn't good at it, could have been left out. The jokes were cheesy and funny, but thats what makes Scooby Doo. If you liked the first one you will definitely like the Sequel.

Monsters Unleashed is a Kid's Scooby Doo Dream

Author: Victor sen (Miroku2k6@yahoo.com) from U.S.
18 April 2004

The second of the Scooby Doo series so far is a delight for everyone! I personally enjoyed how it was just like the show. It was funny and at times pretty sad and a scare. Although my favorite character is Shaggy(Matthew Lilard), I also enjoyed all the rest of the characters. They each played the part of the characters so well. If you didn't know better, you would think you were inside the movie. This one was as clean as the first one and we can only hope for a third installment of the scooby trilogy. If you and your family are looking for a funfilled movie to see, than Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed is your best bet! I can promise to you that its the best kid movie out there currently.

Elements of interest to many groups

Author: daryl_s from Australia
17 April 2004

Some people may turn their noses up at this one. Another sequel designed to squeeze out another couple of dollars for the franchise. To a degree that may be true (hey, nothing wrong with making a buck!).

That said, this film still contains some items of interest. For the kids, great show, very funny and enjoyable. For those who grew up with the animated series, you will love it. Very true to the original cartoon series with a lot of the same type features and plot devices. For those who are a fan of the "animated actor" (I think we can start to use that phrase now to differentiate a character from just a special effect, I mean, what would the LOTR films be without the input of Golum) there are some great scenes of interaction.

Another thing to note is that this film is not simply a remake of the first film (as a lot of sequels are), this very much stands on it's own feet. However, I do think that this really should be the last feature film we see of the Scooby characters, I honestly don't think a third one will sustain the momentum that well.

Overall - **1/2 stars

Rooby Roo!

Author: John Fernandez (thekennelman) from Sussex, England
16 April 2004

This is pretty much a riot from first to last. I took the kids to see it yesterday (girl,5 boy,6) and although the youngest found it scary in places my eldest giggled all the way through. Highlight of the film was ****minor spoiler**** how Shaggy and Scoob deal with the 'Forty Niner' ghost near the end with a wind breaking spectacular (c'mon, you didn't think they'd lose did you?!) and, no pun intended, for us old farts who remember the original series in the late sixties there's plenty of familiar ghouls and ghosts included (and enough left out to ensure at least a third film.)

True the CGI Scooby, lacks the polish of the bad guys, the best of whom have to be the one-eyed skeletons, but what the heck. He almost has the character and personality of the original, and although he doesn't steal the movie, helps to carry it along with pace and humour. BTW I assume the irony of an animated Scooby in a live action version of the cartoon series isn't lost on you all?

One for the kids, but it'll amuse all but the stoniest of adults who've been dragged along with them.

A movie for your inner child...

Author: evening_nightshade from Scotland
15 April 2004

Sequels mainly fall into two categories: those who surpass the original, and those who fall flat on their faces. To me, Scooby-Doo 2 was neither - it wasn't as good as the first one, but in no way was it a failure. As a fan of the cartoon series since childhood, I felt that the movie achieved its purpose - to entertain.

It *was* a funny movie - maybe not hilarious, but I certainly got a few laughs out of it. Some of the gags were predictable, and some collapsed before they even began, but I felt that the good outweighed the bad.

Perhaps the plot was a bit thin (most viewers with any common sense will have sussed out the bad guy long before the end), but it is, after all, a movie based on a children's TV show. It was never going to be the next Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot, nor was there going to be some totally unexpected twist. If you're willing to let your inner child loose in the cinema, you'll enjoy this movie. Otherwise, go see something else.

Personally, I loved Linda Cardellini's Velma. Let's face it, the roles in this movie weren't exactly Oscar-worthy performances, but I felt that the characters were better developed, especially Velma. We saw a bit more to Daphne and Shaggy too, but Fred was left pretty much alone. If there is to be a 3rd Scooby-Doo movie, I'd like to see the writers tap into him a bit more. Most of the actors seem to capture the cartoon series characters, but Freddie Prinze Jr. has to go a little further to recreate the Fred I remember.

It was nice to see some of the monsters I remembered from the TV series transferred to the big screen. OK, so they weren't even remotely scary, but hey - neither were their cartoon incarnations.

Overall, I'd have to give 'Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed' 6/10 - not a bad movie, but not the best I've ever seen. However, if all you want is children's movie that's not too taxing, then this is for you.

Big Improvement

Author: Loops2112 from Singapore
14 April 2004

I took my kids to see this film last week and I laughed like an idiot through most of it (the kids moved seats in the end because I was embarassing them so much!!). I thought it was so much better than the first one (a comment which is echoed by just about everyone I know who has seen it). Matthew Lillard was fantastic as Shaggy and in my opinion, it is him who makes the whole film - the rest of the cast, although they're OK, just plod along behind Shaggy (apart from Scooby of course, but I didn't count him as he's animation).

Scooby Doo 2 is better because it's just so much more like the cartoon series, which is what the fans want afterall. I think the first film made the mistake of trying to do it a bit differently and obviously this doesn't go down too well with the cinemagoers who want pure Scooby Doo from their childhoods.

I won't bother running through what the film was about, as I'm sure you've heard it all before - so just finish off by saying that when it comes out on DVD, one of my long suffering kids will be getting a copy for Christmas!

Could've been so much better

Author: Darth_Homer
12 April 2004

I just got back to see this film....and well, I wasn't expecting much, in fact, I gave up a change to go see Starsky and Hutch, but I took my little bro to see it, while me bro's enjoyed that film.

I've seen the first film, and thought that this would be a much better film, but I have to say it's pretty much equal with the first. I've seen most of the original cartoon, and that was a pretty repitious show, and I'm impressed that they didn't stick to routine, and provided an original Scooby Doo storyline that is ok....at times.

Sadly, this movie is intended for kids though, with plenty of fart jokes, but contains little, very hard to notice drug references, which as a teenager, made me laugh a little. But the films soundtrack is pretty good, and if you own the Game Boy Advance Game, theres a password at the end which does something, but I don't own the game so I don't know what it does.

So what do I think of it? Is it as crap as everyone says it is? Well, I would have to say that it isn't crap, but it's not great either, it's a very average film, that could've been much better

So what do I give it?

5/10= Average

Excellent Movie with a great message

Author: Allie (MuskratPower14) from Macedonia, Ohio
10 April 2004

This movie is a definate must see for scooby doo fans. The movie centers around Mystery Inc. facing a plethora of their greatest foes--Monsters Unleashed! that have been re-awakened to take over! Along with this, Shaggy and Scooby try and tackle their place in the gang, and find out some awesome things about them selves along the way. The ideals of friendship and self confidence are very evident in this sequel, which i think is better than the original! Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed has a great storyline, and an excellent plot and message: Just because you dont think you're important, doesn't mean others dont count you as a hero. (or thats what i saw it as) i give this movie 4 stars, and highly reccomend it to moviegoers!!

The cartoon comes to life

Author: Adam from Bloomington, IN
10 April 2004

On the very short list of movie sequels that are better than the original, you will find this movie. It is funny, sweet, and charming all at the same time. As a live action cartoon, it hits the mark perfectly. Not only was it fun to see the cartoon monsters brought to life, it was also fun to see how much the animators enjoyed giving them life. The morality tale of "always be yourself" was prevalent throughout, making for a wonderful message. Many people are overly critical of a movie like this, expecting things movies like this aren't meant to deliver. It is pure silly fun and not much more. For those unaware, the kids are blamed as things seem to go wrong in Coolsville. Determined to make things right, they track down the person behind the reappearances of old villains. Shag and Scoob trek out on their own determined to prove they can be good detectives. Down the road the gang meets up learning more about themselves along the way. Through teamwork and perseverence they (of course) get to the bottom of the mystery, unmasking the villain in classic Scooby Doo fashion. I am happy to say I had a completely enjoyable time at this movie, and was pleasantly surprised, as I hadn't expected much going in. In the wide world of moviedom, if you go in expecting Batman <The original with Adam West> instead of The Matrix, you should be in for a treat.

Second serving is better

Author: Punk4eva from England
9 April 2004

What makes this movie better than the first, is the fact its so more like the tradional Scooby doo cartoon, it has the classic running scenes, more scary figures, more scooby classic lines. its brillant, the first was good too, kinda got you in the scooby mood and the second servings was brillant, but as they say " third time lucky" so hopefully that the third will be awesome, if they make a trilogy. But back on to Monsters unleashed, it starts with the traditonal scooby, a monster attacks leaving them to solve the mystery before their repuation becomes ruined by the people of "coolsville", they get straight to action trying to click the pieces together and during all of these mystery solving ideas, alot of fun happens along the way. this film is enjoyale for all the family. i give it an overall 8/10

Abz