IMDb > Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Not really the highlight of the actors' careers ...

Author: Tom Benton from Springfield, VT USA
20 June 2005

With the success of the inevitable success of the first Scooby-Doo, it was predictable a sequel would follow. Unpredictably, however, the sequel is better than the original.

The film begins with the gang attending the opening of a museum featuring the costumes of Mystery Inc.'s old enemies. The opening is soon shattered when one of the costumes comes to life and begins destroying the exhibit. To add to the ruination of the museum opening, the Gang's reputation soon begins spiraling downwards. It's up to frustrated Fed, doubtful Daphne, love-filled Velma and disheartened Shaggy and Scooby to save the day - and Mystery Inc.! I myself had seen low ratings for the film, and therefor hadn't much interest in seeing it. The family went, though, and so did I. As the film began, I was expecting a film pretty much like the first, possibly slightly worse. As it turns out, Scooby-Doo 2 is the opposite of that.

The part of the film I enjoyed the most was Matthew Lillard's performance as Shaggy (he also stole my attention in the original movie). Lillard is perfect and frequently funny. The animated Scooby-Doo is particularly enjoyable as well; bite me if you will, but I found the "Conclusion: Bunny" sequence pretty funny.

The rest of the cast is fine, although SD2 is probably not the highest point in their careers. I found Sarah Michelle Gellar's rendition of Daphne boring - and I'm a SMG fan! The humor was pretty low, and generally unfunny, although the film does have its moments. The direction is fine, and the special effects are pleasing. The creatures will be enjoyed by the younger audience.

Speaking of younger audience, SD2 is clearly aimed at a younger age range than the first film. The soundtrack was fine, and David Newman's score was very nice. It created a mysterious and kookily fun mood for the film.

Is Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed better than the original film? In some ways, yes. It has more entertainment value, that's for sure. Will kids like it? Yes, they'll definitely like more than the first. But will you like it? That's something only you can answer.

Still watchable, but if the quality continues to drop, SD 3 won't be

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
15 May 2005

OK, I was one of the people who thought the original live action 'Scooby Doo' was going to bite big time. I was pleasantly surprised by the results - the movie was smart, self-aware, funny when it meant to be. It even had a little bit of emotional resonance. And the four main actors really did a splendid job of inhabiting their characters, especially Matthew Lillard as Shaggy.

This time around, though, the bloom is off the rose.The timing on the funny parts isn't quite as good. Prinz and Gellar seem to be phoning in their parts. Even Lillard isn't quite as enjoyable.

Part of the problem is that this 2nd movie seems to have 'forgotten' some of the emotional growth provided for Velma and Daphne in the original- they both seem to be back to Square One. And I know that Shaggy and Scooby are not supposed to be the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, but this time around, they are written as ADD-addled idiots. That's annoying to me, because the real pleasure of the first movie (lightweight as it was) was watching the characters overcome their limitations and fears, and SD2 acts as if that growth never happened.

But there are some pleasures to be had, here and there.

Although it irritates the hell out of me to watch Velma act as though her breakthrough in SD1 never happened, Linda Cardellini is still a pleasure to watch. If you actually pay attention, you can see the hot, gorgeous woman acting as a dowdy bookworm; she's incredibly appealing, vulnerable,and sympathetic in nearly every scene she's in. Some of the manic set pieces are well staged and executed, especially the snow-board style chase down the mountain with the 'skeleton men'.

And I can't help it: I really like the first dance scene in the villains' disco, where Shaggy turns around and discovers that Scooby has gotten carried away and is dancing (in 'disguise') along with everyone on the dance floor. The animators really pulled this off: for about 15-30 seconds, you can't help but smile at the sheer joy of the character. Then the wig comes off, and we're on to the next bit.

As I said, this movie had its moments, but it isn't as good a the first, and the first one wasn't exactly High Art. If Scooby-Doo 3 drops as much again, the results will suck as much as everyone feared in the original.

Fun and enjoyable film

Author: Avoura from London, UK
10 March 2005

This was not quite as good as the first film, but still worth watching.

In this film we see some super villain bringing to life various old "ghosts" from the cartoon series using a special formula that creates life out of nothing. Plot is not as great as the first Scooby Doo movie, but the acting is very good, so are the special effects and costumes. I think the idea of the past enemies of Mystery Inc all being at a party which is then crashed by Shaggy and Scooby was good and well made.

I think this film had more of a feel of being for the kids than the first film, but I enjoyed it anyway.

A highly polished, highly developed sequel

Author: ian-535 from United Kingdom
14 January 2005

As sequels go Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed is a good film. It's plot is a highly contrived, and tightly interwoven blend of modern day American youth struggling to combat the pressures and stresses forced upon them by outside influences. In this cinematic production, a great deal of that pressure is forced upon them by the cunning media moguls that closely follow their every move. I believe that this successfully conveys the pressures we can all feel from time to time from ones close to us, like our parents, for example. Teen angst is also explored thoroughly in this film when Velma (the intellectual one of the group) begins to doubt her sexual appeal to the males present in her life, in particular Patrick whom she meets during an exhibition being held at the city's museum.

Through adversity Velma battles to forge her place on the plain of existence within the very real world in which she dwells.

Shaggy and Scooby are the real centrepieces of the performance. They are ideally placed for illustrating to us all how each of us tries to 'fit in' with society, even though society itself can sometimes not be what we're looking for and can appear both bland and boring. Through these 2 characters alone the director, Raja Gosnell, takes his viewers on a roller-coaster of emotions, including self-doubt, lack of confidence, a wanting to please others and ultimately a triumphant return to form and the adoration and respect of those closest to us in our lives. Something I believe we are all striving for.

Scooby Doo 2 justifies the use of modern day cinema as a medium for conveying to us, the public, the difficulties of living and coping in today's world. But, it also shows us that with a little bit of self-belief and the support of others, we can achieve our ultimate goals and be accepted as an individual within society as whole.

The special effects rocked too.

loved just like the cartoon *spoilers*

Author: ello-poppet from New Zealand
30 September 2004

I love the Scooby doo cartoons and I think this movie was great. The first Scooby movie was great to but this one is more like the cartoons.

I think Matthew Lilliard is a great Shaggy and Linda Cardellini is a great actress who did really well playing Velma. Freddie Prince Jr has a good look for Fred but his acting isn't great and Sarah Michelle Gellar is wrong for Daphne bring back the pathetic Daphne in the cartoon that always needs to be rescued. Seth Green as Patrick is great it was so sad when you think he is the bad guy and he and Velma are really cute together.

I love the way this movie ties back to the cartoons with the same monsters. I also like this one because it has the unmasking of the villain at the end just like in the cartoons.

Those little skeleton Guys are really cute and the other monsters are great to the cotton candy glob was great.

The animation for Scooby Doo is great way better than bits in Lord of the Rings. Old man Wickles is great I love his house and when Scooby and Shaggy are hiding in the bushes and he says "darn bushes howling at me again" that is great one of the best lines.

A fun kid's film!

Author: Jason from Los Angeles, CA, USA
16 September 2004

Yeah, I know it's not the best film in the world, and it may be very commercially driven, but it's WAY better than the first film. This is what the first film should have been, if not better. There's no Scrappy Doo ruining it for fans. There's better soundtrack songs plugged into the film.

Better character focus, although there's too many "violin scenes". There's much more nostalgia for the fans, as the original monsters are in it this time.

Fred was an appendix in the first film. This time he actually brings some entertainment and purpose with him.

Daphne's action scenes are more suited this time around, and the action has a little suspense this time.

Linda Cardellini's performance is perfect as Velma. She's the female Clark Kent.

Shaggy and Scooby have never been more buddy-buddy.

There's plenty of color and silly monsters to go around, so the kids with short attention spans will have plenty to pacify them. Check your brain at the door and enjoy.

Not as good as the 1st but not as bad as some say!

Author: LeathermanCraig from Rancho Mirage, California
9 July 2004

OK.... So it's not a great 2nd edition of the potential franchise.... But it is NOT as bad as some people want you to believe it to be, either! If this had been the first film, I think that many would have thought it was much better, but, when you weigh it against the original 'Scooby Doo' movie, it pales....

We still have the cast of "Mysteries Inc" running around in the Mystery Machine van - with Scooby Doo (created in CGI), Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Shaggy (Matthew Lillard), Velma (Linda Cardinelli) and Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar). This time, they're joined by some old favorites: Seth Green (as a love interest for Velma), Peter Boyle (as the classic 'Old Man Wickles'), Alicia Silverstone (as a great foil for Daphne), 'Inside Edition' host Pat O'Brien shows up and even 'American Idol' alum Ruben Studdard gets a turn to show us his acting chops.

The story line revolves around a reappearance of some of Mystery Inc.'s old school monsters coming back around in town. Alicia Silverstone plays a hard charging, up and coming news caster, trying to get the next big story - and she doesn't care who she crushes in her way up. Seth Green shows up as a curator of a museum to the greatness of Mystery Inc., and cares for all of the monsters that they've caught. It's HIS museum that gets robbed and the monsters come back to life!

The CGI here is just as good as the first time - but there seems to be a bit more of it.... Sure, the story isn't as flashy as the first one, but it's still pretty good on its own merits. There's a lot of flash and sizzle to this film, but it's more like a diet version of the first... still not bad, but sometimes leaving you wanting for just another bite!

A Return to the Roots

Author: ghd2005 from Los Angeles
20 June 2004

5 of 5 stars if you aren't a miserable person.

I recently caught this movie on a red eye flight from Los Angeles to New York. I watched it on a five inch screen with sound only in one ear. I grew up with Scooby Doo and it was always my second favorite cartoon show after Duck Tales. The first movie I thought was disappointing, but the sequel is spectacular. It brings back lots of the original villains from the show's first season. It was a lot of fun reliving the childhood silliness (sic) of Scooby Doo, and this movie will bring you back. Plus it has three of the funniest lines in movie history. The cookie line, the bush line, and the cotton candy line. You'll see what I mean, if you don't die first.

Wacky sequel.

Author: ultramatt2000-1 from Orlando, Florida
15 May 2004

Hillarious. Goofy. A wild roller coaster ride, with a hot young cast, and a CGI dog. I haven't seen such wackiness since INSPECTOR GADGET and DUDLEY DOO-RIGHT. The Tar Monster reminds me of Chode from Sci-Fi Channel's TRIPPING THE RIFT. The Black Knight Ghost reminded me of the straight silver robot that replaced Gus from TRIPPING THE RIFT. It is cool that they took various monsters from such well known episodes of the cartoon. Thank God that they didn't include the gorilla-like creature, we have enough gorillas for almost a century! The voice work for Scooby and the monsters were great! But the Tar Monster, and The Skeleton people look absolutely cartoonish. I laughed so hard from beginning to end. Since I enjoyed the first one, I will enjoy the second one. There is reference to the horrible cartoon, A PUP NAMED SCOOBY-DOO (see that on "Matthew Rants"). Not actually Coolsville, but also the old wacky cartoon from the late 80's is referenced. When they show the gang as youngsters. The soundtrack is great. The Tazmanian Devil makes a cameo (reminding me of LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION). If there is a SCOOBY DOO 3, bring it on!!! What will be installed for 3? Scooby Dumb? Scooby Dee? The Blue Falcon and Dog Wonder? I bet SCOOBY DOO 3 will have aliens in it. This film is fun for the family.

So much better than the first (sorry) attempt...

Author: kitkat9 from Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
7 May 2004

I am a "Scooby Doo" fanatic!! No one was more excited about the live action version back in 2002 than me (although I was looking forward to a Scarborough-esque retelling when Mike Myers was still attached to the project (complete with a Barenaked Ladies cover of the second greatest theme song in television history!!)). I, a 30+ year-old woman, much to the chagrin and delight of my friends/work colleagues, even had a "Scooby Doo" countdown. I bought my nieces and friends (forced to accompany me to what was sure to be the film event of a generation) Scooby-Doo merchandise. Nothing could ruin this moment for me, until I actually saw the film! Needless to say that my utter disappointment in their first attempt (Shaggy is a vegetarian...hello what about all of those salami sandwiches he and Scooby ate in the cartoons!!) didn't put me in a state of readiness for the second offering but my love of that wacky Great Dane and the promise of the superb Seth Green did make me want to see Number 2...a little bit. Well, this time I was not disappointed! They actually got it right this time!! A tribute rather than a joke at the expensive of long time (and yes over 30!) fans and only one fart joke (and not a bad one at that!)! It was great to see all the old monsters creatively redone in CGI! The cast was excellent (ok, it's not Shakespeare but they did a great job with the fantastic, pure camp that they had and it was good, old-fashioned fun camp this time too!). And yes, Seth Green was amazing as ever (psycho, cute, and lovable all wrapped up in one neat little package!) So, go and see SD2, especially if you didn't like the first one. If you're anything like me (and heaven help you if you are!) you'll like it...a lot!!!