IMDb > Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Where is the real Scooby Doo?

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
24 March 2006

I realize that Scooby Doo 2 is basically a kids' movie. I realize that I am long past the target audience's age. And, I realize that it's a sequel to a movie I didn't care for. However, I grew up a fan of the original Scooby Doo cartoon. I was 6 years-old when the cartoon originally aired and I have fond memories of those Saturday mornings. The people responsible for making these movies have taken most of what made that show good and thrown it out the window. The ghosts and monsters weren't real. There was always a rational explanation behind everything that went on. Part of the fun was trying to wrap my 6 year-old brain around how the bad guys were doing their evil deeds. But a movie based in anything approaching reality wouldn't work as a big, over-bloated, CGI mess like Scooby Doo 2. It's unreal, it's loud, and it leaves nothing to the imagination. The film consistently makes fun of itself in that I'm-smarter-than-you, self-referential way that I find so annoying. It's a shame to me that young kids today will not grow-up understanding the charm of the original Scooby Doo.

The curse of the remade TV show

Author: TVholic from New York
7 October 2005

I didn't think it was possible but this film actually made less sense than any Scooby Doo episode. I was a first generation Scooby fan, watching it every Saturday morning year in and year out in the early 1970s, until Scrappy Doo drove me away. We got to know and care for those characters. Amazingly, they're not here. Who are these people, this redhead, blond and brunette? They're certainly not Daphne, Fred and Velma. Freddie Prinze, Jr. was simply channeling Owen Wilson. Helium-voiced Sarah Michelle Gellar is all wrong for stunning Daphne. And Linda Cardinelli was too whiny to be calm, collected Velma. I'm not even going to ask about all the sudden techno-wizardry and the fighting skills. Not to mention the original Mystery Machine gang NEVER went up against actual ghosts, not even once. They always exposed the ghosts to be a fraud. This wasn't Scooby Doo. It was Ghostbusters meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The only good thing about this movie was Matthew Lillard, who was the only cast member to truly capture the spirit (and voice) of the cartoon character.

If you want to see a good kids' monster movie this Halloween, I would suggest "The Monster Squad" from 1987 instead. It was a much better and sadly overlooked film.

An amazing performance

Author: angel_nikk2003 from California, United States
2 December 2004

This movie was a funny look back at all the episodes of Scooby-Doo. I thought that putting all the evil characters from their other mysteries was brilliant. In this movie Daphne is much smarter. Sure she has a few stupid moments, but overall she has intelligence and wit. Sarah Michelle Gellar did a wonderful performance as this character. Shaggy and Scooby were of course you're regular brainless heroes who somehow end up saving the day. Mathew Lillard was exceptionally well in playing his role, and didn't overact. Velma,(Linda Cardellini) was still the same old Velma. Linda Cardellini fit the role expected of her and made the movie well rounded. Freddie Prinze Jr.(Fred) made his character less Narcesistic as he was before. Fred is still the committed leader who loves his admirers and especially Daphne.

My rating on this movie is a 10 because it was like watching a cartoon episode of Scooby-doo, only being a motion picture. The characters were funny, and the actors did an amazing job as portraying them.

More Like Overworked Taffy Than Cotton Candy

Author: gftbiloxi (gftbiloxi@yahoo.com) from Biloxi, Mississippi
29 March 2005

The original live action SCOOBY DOO was rather like the cotton candy you buy at the fair: pretty to look at and fun to scarf down. But a little goes a long way, particularly when all the air has been beaten out and it emerges as overworked taffy.

Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard, and Linda Cardellini repeat the roles of Fred, Daphne, Shaggy, and Velma. Once again, Prinze and Gellar are hardly inspired but at least they play with tremendous energy; once again Lillard and Cardellini are so dead on target that the effect is almost spooky. They are supported by Seth Green, a truly talented actor who gives a very nice performance indeed; unfortunately, Peter Boyle is largely wasted and Alicia Silverstone is, well, Alicia Silverstone.

Silverstone aside, the cast might have recreated the lightness of the first film--but once you mix in a story about stolen costumes that come to life, huge sets, wild outfits, a dance number, and a ton of CGI effects they pretty much get lost in the shuffle. It's all about as much fun as a carnival after the crowd has gone and you're left alone with gum on the bottom of your shoe.

Kids probably won't notice the shortcomings, and older fans will be glad to see numerous references to the original cartoon series--and to be fair the film does have its moments, largely thanks to Lillard, Cardellini, and Green. The film is available to the homemarket via DVD... But by and large this is the sort of thing you watch once and then let gather dust on the shelf.

Gary F. Taylor, aka GFT, Amazon Reviewer

Should concentrate more on their friendship

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 May 2014

Scooby and the gang Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar), Shaggy (Matthew Lillard), and Velma (Linda Cardellini) have become the toast of the town in Coolsville. The Mystery Inc members are the guests of honor at the grand opening of the Museum of Criminology where they celebrate the gang's previous successes. Patrick Wisely (Seth Green) is the curator and Velma is in love. That's when a new villain appears with an all-too-real Pterodactyl ghost to wreck havoc on the event. Devious TV reporter Heather Jasper-Howe (Alicia Silverstone) makes them the laughing stock and they must solve the case to redeem themselves. Then there is Old Man Wickles (Peter Boyle) who is the obvious suspect.

This movie deviates from the well known franchise in two big ways. First they start out as popular and famous when they are always Those Damn Meddling Kids. The second is that the monsters are actually real. This is more Ghostbusters than Scooby-Doo. While change is often good, these are pretty big changes.

I've never like this incarnation of Scooby-Doo and Shaggy. They are too outrageous. For all the crazy hijinx they get into, the funniest thing in this movie happens when Fred calls Daphne fat. I still like the group chemistry. Velma actually has a good storyline. Their friendship remains the best thing about the franchise. As for the mystery, Randomonium says it all. It's very random but that's what you get from Scooby-Doo. Most of the CGI are cheesy although it's expensive cheese. There is a couple of good moments in an overall weak effort.

Jinkies, it's a slower sequel.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
28 April 2014

Monsters Unleashed brings back the Mystery Inc. gang who must save Coolsville from an attack of past unmasked monsters they had dealt with including the Black Knight Ghost, Pterodactyl Ghost and the Tar Monster, who were brought to life by an evil masked figure.

This is a somewhat adventurous movie filled with ghosts and goblins, with Scooby filmed in CGI, and Freddy Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini returning in their respective Mystery Inc. gang roles; each did a creative job in portraying Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy. I especially enjoyed Daphne, as Gellar portrayed her as a typical blonde, but also being clever and witty. It was nice seeing Alicia Silverstone make an appearance in the movie; it is too bad her role was only confined to a TV reporter role, which didn't contribute much to the story.

Like the first film, the special and visual effects were colorful and and flashy, and I thought the ghost action was executed pretty well. The story was, though, a little whimsical and the dialog and jokes were somewhat off-the-wall. The plot was a little slow, and wasn't as exciting and lacks the charm and spirit as the first movie.

It is still great to see one of my favorite cartoons come to life in this sequel, which I think is a serviceable movie, but falls short of entertainment as in the first one.

Grade C+

I didn't think it was too shabby, better than the original

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
27 February 2014

Due to their illustrious accomplishments, the gang is invited as guests, at the grand opening of the Coolsville Museum of criminology, a masked man appears and wreaks havoc in the museum, stealing the costumes of the gang's notorious criminals. There are many culprits and suspects for the gang to choose from, but they have their eyes set on their nemesis, Jonathan Jacabo. A bitter news reporter Heather Jasper-Howe manages to coerce Fred into complete tomfoolery, making the gang look to be clueless. Shaggy and Scooby take responsibility for it all, vowing to become better detectives.

Perhaps, it was because I didn't care for the first movie at all. I ended that movie feeling completely embittered as a huge Scooby fan. I managed to have some decent fun with this one, probably because my expectations were null. There is plenty of corny slapstick that is desperate for cheap laughs, but they manage to pull a lot of it off. How can you not at least chuckle at the antics of Shaggy and Scooby? The scene where they mess around with formulas was my favorite. I'm not that much of a stickler, it doesn't take much to entertain me. It was a bit of a switch this time around in attitude for the gang. In the first one, they are full of themselves and condescending for a bit. This one, there is doubt and a lack of confidence with them. It made for a nice change of pace from the first one. I've always preferred the confident, but humble version of the gang. Die-hard Scooby fans will get a huge kick out of seeing villains from the past from the cartoon show. We get to see Captain Cutler, Captain Redbeard, Miner 49er, among others. It was a neat little touch that had the fan-boy in me come out. Freddie Prinze Jr, is still a bit too stupid and condescending for my liking as Fred, but he was better in this one. He didn't bother me nearly as much as he did in the first one. Sarah Michelle Gellar looks amazing, putting her martial art skills she learned in BTVS, to good use. Matthew Lillard is epic as Shaggy once more, while Linda Cardellini is great as Velma, even throwing in a little love storyline with Seth Green (Seth was good, in case you were wondering) Peter Boyle is decent in his role, it was a bit of a throwaway part. Alicia Silverstone is gorgeous to look at, not much else to say.

Overall, I had some fun. I kicked my brain to the curb, had low expectations, everything worked out fine. This is far from the ultimate Scooby movie, but this will do for now.

5.5/10

The best live-action sequence in the series.

Author: Emerson Schmeichel from Brazil
26 January 2014

It's not today that Scooby-Doo has entertained thousands of people. And had the bright idea of making a movie with real people, bringing the magic of design for real life. Not to mention the wonderful acting of the cast and the "poker face" of the character of Alicia Silverstone. This is surely the best live-action adaptation of a cartoon as well known and respected as the Hanna Barbera. This until be replaced and succeeded by the horrible "Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins," which completely escapes the vital characteristics of the characters. This movie gets to overcome the first part. Not to mention the success of the film, and the cleverness of the actors who took this role in the prime of their careers.

Scooby is better and funnier in the second one

Author: Pantelis Andreou from United Kingdom
3 May 2013

I knew that this film was coming and i was double excited than the first film. I saw this film on the premiere with my dad and i was expecting this film like a year before it's release date. I saw the trailer on the TV. This was better than the first and it has more famous monsters from the animated series. The people didn't like that film again but i loved it. Today i have it on blu-ray and i'm watching it every day. I wish to go back that day i saw it on cinema to live it again. It was the best day of my childhood.the film was even better, the acting was again the same and amazing. It's a great film to see with your family or with friends. A film for all ages. Everyone will enjoys this. See it and hope you like it as i like it that much!!!! 4.5/5

Doo The Fright Thing.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
3 October 2012

Day 3 Of My 31 Days Of Horror 2.

Raja Gonsell returns to do the sequel to the hit Scooby Doo from 2002. Did he do well on this one? Lets find out.

The film follows Fred played by Freddie Prinze Jr. Daphne played by Sarah Michelle Gellar Velma played by Linda Cardellini Shaggy played by Mathew Lillard and Scooby Doo voiced by Niel Fanning who are being attacked by a group of monsters trying to unmask the gangs secrets.

The film is just as good as the original. The sets are a little better on this one. Matthew Lillard is the standout performer and the story is great including some of the famous monsters from the TV Series. These films get harsh reputations but me personally I find them to be very enjoyable. I was trying to avoid this pun but Doo see it.

Rated PG For Some Scary Action, Rude Humor And Language.

1hr 33min/93min.