IMDb > Funky Monkey (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey More at IMDbPro »

May God have mercy on their souls!

Author: James Godfrey from United States
15 December 2005

I am a student of film, and have been for several years. And the concept of a cyber, kung-fu, satirical chimpanzee had me wondering, "Is this the film that's going to break the mold?" Let's face it, America has never been let down by any piece of cinema that features a simian costar. After such great classics as "Monkey Trouble" and "Dunston Checks In", I thought that the best ideas were already taken. But then comes "Funky Monkey". I laughed, I cried, I contemplated suicide.

Now I've read about demon possession in the Bible, but that still doesn't explain why someone would create such a product of evil. First off, having at least a shred of intelligence, I realized that a chimpanzee was in fact an ape, not a monkey at all. However, I was sure that the filmmakers would clear this problem up further into the film. They didn't. Let me sum up this work of art: A company by the name of Z.I.T. has decided to train chimpanzees as soldiers. Why? I think they mention something about the soldiers working for bananas, but when it would cost about an estimated 13 million dollars of government money to train one chimp, this doesn't seem cost-effective. Well anyways, Z.I.T. brings in a CIA specialist (Matthew Modine) to train Clemens (The Chimp). Clemens is everything Z.I.T. hoped for. He can take out an entire shift of guards, who all appear to have gotten their training skills at the local mall, and yet still manage to remind us that we're watching a kid's movie. As you may have guessed, Modine finds out that Z.I.T.'s intentions may be evil (Gasp!) and decides to break Clemens out. Being a CIA agent and all, Modine knows that best way to make himself disappear is to go to a large city, rent a guest room, regularly make appearances on television while fighting crime, and using checks to pay for everything.

Z.I.T. finds out where Modine is staying, and sends two of their finest to retrieve him. These guards are possibly the greatest comedy team up since Martin and Lewis, or was it Turner and Hooch? It doesn't matter anyways, because in the end, for a heck of a twist ending, the good guys win!!! Yay! Hooray for predictability! Throw in a nerdy kid who learns to be himself, a lonely mom who needs a date, and music montages that feature songs that would even be blackballed by Radio Disney and you get "Funky Monkey". The climax to the movie? A football game! Played by thugs, bumblers, a chimp, and the nerd boy. No one seems to care about such substitutions at a high school football game.

Funky Monkey never lets up! It's edge of your seat entertainment. Some might even call this the "American Beauty" of monkey-filled features. After finishing this epic, I recalled hearing a story about a railroad worker who lost much of his brain functions when a metal rod pierced his temporal lobe. Funky Monkey is a metal rod among movies.

Sometimes monkeying around is a necessity...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
29 August 2017

When I sat down to watch "Funky Monkey" with the family, I must admit that I didn't have any particular expectations to the movie, given the synopsis. But it turned out that "Funky Monkey" was actually a rather funny and entertaining movie for being a family movie and all.

The story is about a top secret program to develop super soldiers from monkeys. Yeah, I know. But when the main chimpanzee escapes captivity with help from his trainer, things change dramatically as both trainer and chimpanzee have to find places in life outside the research facility.

There is an abundance of hilarious scenes throughout the movie, which had the entire family laughing loudly many times. So the enjoyment factor of "Funky Monkey" is rather big if you sit down as as family to watch the movie.

Now, the chimpanzee did perform quite well in its scenes, but there were some fighting scenes where it was just gut-awful obvious that it was a man in a chimpanzee costume trying to pass for a monkey.

There are a couple of familiar faces on the cast list, which includes Matthew Modine, Taylor Negron, Gilbert Gottfried, Fred Ward and Jeffrey Tambor. The hired cast were performing well with their given roles and characters, taking the storyline into consideration.

All in all, then "Funky Monkey" is an enjoyable movie for the entire family.

Hey, bunky, Funky Monkey is a top banana of a film!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
10 February 2014

Alec (Matthew Modine) has been training a talented chimp, Clemens, for the spy business. His boss, Flick (Taylor Negron) is most pleased with the animal's progress. But, alas, he has a heart of stone. Alec learns on the day he is to find another position that Flick intends to use Clemens as part of a "simian army" and other nefarious activities. So, he steals Clemens away. Off they go to San Diego, where they find digs from a landlord (Roma Downey), who has a super-bright son Michael. This beautiful lady is often away on her job as a top computer programmer so Alec, Michael, and Clemens all become great friends. Clemens even saves them all from a motorcycle gang at a city park, where the little chimp tangles them up on the swing set! But, Michael is shy at school and could really use Alec's help in two ways. One, as a former star football player, this older man could help Michael make the team. Two, Alec is assigned the job of getting a beautiful cheerleader to notice Mike. Whew! Meanwhile, Flick and his bumbling assistants are hot on Alec's trail, for they want the chimp back at all costs. What a mixture of romance, action, slapstick comedy and good versus bad, right? Right! This film is a wonderful family movie, for it has nearly everything. That is, viewers will find a great cast, a fine script, a beautiful setting, a zesty direction and a lovable, talented chimp! Hey, bunky, get Funky Monkey, its a top banana of a film!

funky monkey or hairy tale my thoughts

Author: eviltomato5 from United States
4 October 2013

I'll be honest, i had mixed feelings about this movie. some good some bad. :/ i didn't even make it through the entire film. initially I thought it would be a la ff per minute movie based on the cover and mediocre script/cinematography. but the stunts were laughable and I DON'T mean in the good way. some of the special Fax were low budget and, to be frank, just distracting. from the movie. for instance , ***SPOILEr ALERT, there was 1 scene where the monkey zaps a guy in the butt w a tosser. VERY unrealistic. for a "cinophile" like me. but the transitions baton scenes were artfully done & reminiscent of star wars & American beauty & sea biscuit. the movie. the monkey was my favorite character unsurprisingly and I liked when the monkey & the chic kissed (on the mouth no tongue) i recommend this film if you are a real movie buff or are a fan of monkeys or are an avid football watcher. however i would discourage anyone under 17 from Vatican (DESPITE its pg rating) this movie because numerous scenes involve frightening situations, most notably *******SPOILERS AHEAD :P******* a harrowing encounter with a ruff and ruff "biker gang".

A martial arts monkey trying outwit an evil organization and help a nerdy kid get a date... that must've been some strong stuff the producers were on...

Author: abrown975 from United States
14 December 2010

Wow, just wow. It's weird how producers will create a movie without putting effort into it and some studio will accept the project without considering the potential of it, or lack thereof. So, I'm going to go ahead and summarize the whole movie for you: an intelligent, karate-chopping monkey is being used by a secret organization for evil, because hey, why do it the easy way with, you know, competent people, when you can go buy a monkey and train it for bad? But the monkey's karate-fighting trainer, played by the once-great actor Matthew Modine, breaks him out of his cage to save him and starts a new life near the beach. They also meet a new kid named Michael, who is played by Seth Adkins and gives an Oscar-worthy performance as a nerdy kid who can't get the girl (Or so he thinks! Hooray for foreshadowing!). And so they help him gain his confidence and even gives him a few tips on dating, because a martial-arts chimpanzee and his trainer are always the first things that come to mind when talking about dating. They even snag him a spot on the football team! But, OH NO! The bad guys are catching up with them at their house, but don't worry! It's only the two hilarious henchman that bring a barrel of laughs with them every time they do some clumsy antic, like picking up a burning piece of paper without realizing it and screaming! I near peed myself! It's funny because they could just drop the piece of paper and put it out, but where's the hilarity in that?! Ho ho, what a delightfully comical bunch of henchman! But meanwhile, Michael gets the girl of his dreams, all thanks to a bunch of confidence, perseverance, and most of all, teamwork! After all, he couldn't have done it without his friends, a monkey and his trainer! But then the movie takes a suspenseful turn when the monkey is kidnapped, and a scary doctor (Gilbert Gottfried, for some reason) hired by the evil organization is about to do horrible things to him! But I won't spoil the ending because I can tell you are about to jump up and go rent it this second. Oh hell, I can't help it, I just have to tell! They rescue the monkey, and all just in time for Michael's football game to impress his girlfriend! But uh oh! The henchman, their boss, and the other bad guys dress in football uniforms to go out onto the field and get the monkey, who is also playing on Michael's team (Gee, does that sound familiar? Maybe similar to that sports-playing retriever the Disney company has been capitalizing on for years?)! But don't worry, in a suspenseful action football fight, the good guys win! Whew, I was scared there for a second. And, that's pretty much it. But back in reality, what drug could possibly be strong enough to start the visions of one of the dumbest movies ever made? It has to exist, this movie is proof! Maybe the corporation thought making a movie with the coolest things in it would be a hit! Martial arts, evil organizations, gadgets, and monkeys, and you pretty much get what they obviously saw. Funky Monkey is one of the dumbest and most pointless movies I have ever seen. That's all there is to it.

True Value

Author: (torinmcc@hotmail.com) from United States
1 January 2007

I bought this movie from Gamestop's discount used movie bin and the cover caused me to laugh uncontrollably so I bought it for 99cents. The movie itself is retarded and they use like ten different monkeys throughout the whole film that hardly look alike. Not to mention they use a stunt double who is just a short guy in costume making a desperate attempt to impersonate a monkey.

The director more than likely committed a murder-suicide with the chimpanzees after the movie debuted in a preview for some other low rent Warner Bros. film and he ended up owing money to the studio. It also doesn't help that he wasn't even infamous for the terrible job he did, he wasn't even known for producing a poop-chute film.

Why was this movie ever made?

Check your remotes batteries before watching this one.

Author: FilmStalker from Tucson, AZ
18 May 2005

This is the story of two guys who found a copy of 'Funky Monkey.' Finding this seemed odd at the time figuring that there are still posters for the movie at the local Cineplex Odeon. After seeing such classics as 'Every Which Way But Loose' and 'Project X,' these two guys figured movies with monkeys are awesome.

These guys were in for a long ride as they watched this movie. There was some monkey that was replaced by a Stunt MAN when action sequences were required. It was apparent that the monkey wasn't trained in the school of Shakespearean acting. Perhaps replacing the monkey with Ben Affleck might have helped the guys thought.

Maybe a strong sidekick would help like a Jackie Chan or heck maybe even Hulk Hogan. Luckily this movie had amazing martial artist and Jet Li look-a-like Matthew Modine. While some might argue that Matthew Modine doesn't come close to Jet Li, camera tricks prove that he is every bit as good. When it becomes obvious that an untrained chimp can't handle the movie, the movie leans on Matthew Modine to be the real star.

Did I mention that there is some dorky kid that develops a bond with Modine and the monkey? Is there a possibility that the kid learns confidence and even picks up a girl in this movie? Even Matthew Modine should get jealous with this one (because using the pick-up line 'I'm second fiddle to a monkey' doesn't seem to work with the ladies.)

Shortly after watching this movie the two guys got a phone call from Matthew Modine telling them 'Seven days.'

European Movie Magic

Author: cunimus from Sacramento, CA
27 June 2005

Silly Americans, Europeans don't need trivial things such as physics or continuity in their movies! In this enlightening film I learned that gravity does not apply to European stunt men in San Diego. When in the greater San Diego area, a European engaging in an athletic feat suddenly gains the power of flight!

Add continuity errors to the high flying hilarity of the action scenes and you get a film that was built for slow motion replays. Trying to find all of the mistakes in this film is an entertaining challenge that the whole family can participate in.

The production team caps off an exhilarating movie by creating a new sport. You gather thirty people in American football equipment on a field and have them scramble around after a chimpanzee while seven officials (one of which wears camouflage pants) blow their whistles for no reason.

All-in-all this was a chaotic exercise in film-making that produces a gut-busting flick which promotes chimpanzees kissing children.

Funky Monkey Rules!

Author: makeham98 from Greencastle, IN
13 June 2005

Run, don't walk to your nearest video store and get this film! We were fortunate to get it on our MVP membership at Hollywood Video so it was free! It's worth twice that much! The title character is a genetically enhanced super-chimp that is not only very intelligent, but possesses keen Ninja skills as well. Not only that, but he is apparently able to change his height from shot to shot in this awesome movie! Sometimes he's your basic 3 foot tall primate, and other times it looks like he's a human sized ninja fighting side to side with partner Matthew Modine! Wow! This ape is super-talented! Add to this stellar performances from both Taylor Negron and Gilbert Gottfried - what can you say - box office magic! 10 stars! Brain cells - use them or lose them!