IMDb > "In the News" (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"In the News" More at IMDbPro »

It was great.

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
17 October 2006

Sure I remember these. Christopher Glenn in fact, who narrated them for years, died today at 68. Easily one of the great memories of my Saturday Morning-mispent youth. I can remember seeing things about Watergate, Vietnam, the Energy Crunch, Iran, the Bicentennial, etc on this show. Really liked that weird globe and the music that went with it too.

So sure, I'm sorry to hear that Glenn died, and I fondly remember this segment.

**Groans** Oh great, we need ten lines to pad this out. Okay fine guys. That's ludicrous. I think that they should have more little segments like this.

I actually remember this...

Author: ddesqsd from United States
12 July 2005

"In the News" was sort of like a PSA produced by CBS News that ran for about 60 seconds in the middle of commercial breaks, usually on Saturday mornings during cartoons.

Each "edition" would be a feature news story - usually on a topic that would appeal to younger kids - animals, science, music, sports. Essentially, the type of stuff that you would see as the last story on the evening news.

While the stories were nice, the "music" (or more accurately, noise) that they would play at the beginning and end of each edition was extremely irritating.

If anyone else ever sees this review, I would be totally amazed.

Turned kids into news junkies

Author: naranjas from Hollywood
19 October 2006

My favorite part of Saturday mornings was not the cartoons but the "In The News" segment. It was the leading factor in my later interest in news and current events. I still use the analogy Christopher Glenn used to explain to children how inflation works. (He used baseball cards instead of money: that it would require more and more of a player's card that was heavily printed to trade for a card that was not).

Christopher Glenn's voice is so burned in my brain that when I heard him not long ago on CBS radio I recognized his voice before he said his name even though it had been 25 or 30 years since I heard him last.

Christopher Glenn's passing is a great loss.