IMDb > MXP: Most Xtreme Primate (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

MXP: Most Xtreme Primate (V) More at IMDbPro »

Full Frontal Monkey

Author: requiem2872 from United States
6 March 2005

It's no wonder they added the "X" in the title of this sequel to MVP and MVP 2. It has the best monkey shower scene I've ever seen. This monkey nudity only served to make the primate more "human" so I can understand it's inclusion in the film. With out it, it would have been merely a typical animal sports movie in the tradition of Air Bud.

I haven't seen monkeys and humans bond this well, since "Gorillas in the Mist". Not only does the monkey take a shower, but he also brushes his teeth, shave with a razor, plays the drums, plays video games, drinks a frozen drink and gets brain freeze, and oh yeah he snowboards too. What will Jack do next? I for one can't wait. Opposable thumbs way up!!!

An Embarrassing Affair...Some Spoilers

Author: AndrewJL from Athens, GA
21 April 2004

If Disney's name was still somewhere on this one, I bet they wish they'd have taken it off by now. After affixing the Disney brand to five--count 'em, five--Air Bud installations, all laughable after the first one broke some modest ground (and prompted rumors from PETA that Buddy the dog was killed by bone spurs resulting from wearing tennis shoes in filming), any affiliation with this travesty must be purely contractual. This film does nothing, is nothing, and means nothing; it has all the Disney stereotypes: the unsure new kid in town, his surfer-talking, typical-teen older brother punk rock guitarist (played hilariously by Trevor Wright), the hot snowboard instructor girl (who inevitably falls for Wright's character, despite lack of screen time together), the single father, bumbling criminals under a kingpin boss who should just fire the two, and the apparently psychotic monkey lady who follows her chimps across two countries on airlines that apparently allow monkeys to use passports and occupy seats. This series has become the new "Land Before Time," trudging out the same tired stories, straight-to-DVD, and waiting for overeager parents to grab it off the Wal-Mart shelf, slap this tripe on and shut their kids up. Will it work? Unfortunately, yes. Is it shameful, the continued lack of creativity in producing childrens' films? Absolutely. "MXP: Most Xtreme Primate" is sickening to watch and is simply a bunch of flashy editing and colors to brainwash Junior for 88 minutes. Parents couldn't be happier, but anyone who actually takes a look at this will think, "Wait, didn't that dog do this in 1997?" Fortunately, no recognizable actors or actresses surface in this one to showcase just how hard they've fallen (as was not the case in something like "American Psycho 2," the deplorable sequel to a classic featuring Mila Kunis and ol' Bill Shatner). Get something like "Land Before Time ONE" or "Heavyweights" for the kids tonight--they stand up much better than this mistake ever will.

Fun adventure

Author: vchimpanzee
4 March 2008

Disclaimer: I have no particular interest in chimps. My name is a reference to the subject line on the first email I ever sent and has nothing to do with how I feel about watching primates on screen.

Julie considers skateboarding celebrity Jack and her other three chimps to be like family. And when Jack is depressed, she believes a trip to Mexico will cheer him up.

At the airport, Julie learns the chimps will not be able to sit together, but she doesn't mind. Jack is off reading a magazine when a group of children in beautiful costumes, apparently representing different countries, passes by. The child wearing a sombrero and serape like Jack's has to use the restroom badly, but the woman in charge of the kids can't be bothered. The kid goes anyway, and when Jack joins the group, no one notices the kid is missing.

Julie eventually discovers Jack is not on her plane. There is nothing she can do once the plane lands, because a hurricane is coming.

In Mt. Blackbrush, Colorado, 12-year-old Pete is having trouble adjusting after he and his older brother Jay have moved with their father from Oregon--and if that's not enough, the boys' father has to leave for several days. Pete is a talented snowboarder and Jay belongs to a rock band.

When the boys say goodbye to their father at the Denver airport, the colorfully dressed children--and Jack--arrive at the same time. Jack hitches a ride in a van which happens to be headed to the Mexican restaurant where the boys will be eating.

Jack happens to be there when bumbling crooks Gilfred and Stanley get kicked out of a limo for botching a robbery.

Pete joins a snowboarding group but he's still treated like the "new kid". A competition is coming up, and the winner gets to meet Bjorn Leines. But Pete has no partner.

Jack and Pete finally meet and go to the store where Shirley works--where Gilfred and Stanley are hiding behind magazines as they prepare to rob the place. But Jack is on the cover of one of the magazines. That's him! Wait, new plan!

If you're as smart as Stanley (or is it Gilfred), you can figure it out from here. (If you're no smarter than the other one, you shouldn't watch any movie more challenging than this.) Hint: I saw "Air Bud: Golden Receiver" several weeks ago and immediately recognized it as the movie Jack was watching. No, I don't know whether the chimp from that movie also played Jack.

The chimps here are talented; the humans are not. Actually, the snowboarders show a lot of talent, but since we don't see their faces I'm guessing they are stunt players. Not only are they very good, but so is the filming of their action.

The chimp or chimps playing Jack is/are amazing. Of course, we are likely seeing the results of a considerable amount of training and rewards for performance. But the character Jack shows outstanding intelligence.

As for human actors with lines, I suppose Devin Douglas Drewitz and Trevor Wright are at least good enough not to be bad. Another performance worth seeing came from James Crescenzo as the boss who torments Gilfred and Stanley--who are funny characters even if the actors aren't especially good.

One gag with the two bumbling idiots and a large snowball worked really well. It would be easy in a cartoon, but too dangerous for actual people. But with creative design and editing, it's great.

This is really a movie for kids. There is no offensive content, and most of the music is really loud rock not intended for anyone over 25. If it wasn't edited for TV, this deserves a G rating.

But I'm no kid, and I enjoyed this a lot.

The best movie about extreme primates since Tango and Cash

Author: david-55311 from United States
31 August 2015

Not since Sylvester Stallone played Ray Tango has the monkey condition been portrayed on film so convincingly. Most extreme primate threatens to expose the monkey snowboarding sub culture that is still largely ignored by mainstream society. Filmed on a shoestring budget of 12 million dollars, this film manages to transcend human primate relations by putting a sombrero on a monkey and making him brush his teeth.

The biggest take away from this movie is that the monkey learnt to snowboard doom drop by only watching snowboarding videos and playing xbox, which is a method I highly recommend to any kids who watch this.

I gave this movie an 8/10 only because the monkey went on to make an anti Semitic rant at the sundance film festival 3 years later.

Moving, 3rd best movie of 2004

Author: westcor from Houston, TX
10 January 2014

Just got done watching this much talked about, but forgotten cinema classic. A chimp named Jack snowboards. The chimp can also play X-Box, and actually pulls off some pretty sweet moves in the real and virtual world. A "Mob Boss" bets on the chimp to win a snowboarding race, $1,000 to be exact. Some snowboarding dude says "Tight dog" at the end. The human Mom to the chimps travels around the country with multiple chimps (who all have passports, which by the way are not needed for trips inside the U.S.). The bad guys steal the chimp for like 5 minutes, then he is snowboarding again. The kids keep telling Jack they are gonna take him home but they don't do anything for days but play video games, play guitar, and snowboard with Jack. It seems like some of the people have amnesia, and maybe some hidden subtext I am missing. Jack is there as a reminder Chimps will do almost anything for bananas.

Scientologist Drivel

Author: kingtimmydeluxe from United States
19 June 2009

Upon first viewing I was surprised by the depth of character the talented monkey-cast presented in MXP3. The simian thespians are present in every scene, emotionally and physically, and impressively match and in some cases surpass the emotional depth of the leading boy of the film, Devin Douglas Drewitz. Young Trip-D, as he likes to be called on set, provides the movie with an obstinately melancholy performance, tantalizing the monkeys' emotional receptors like so many ripe bananas. Trip-D's angst and sorrow, expertly captured by cinematographer Mike Southon, is as palpable and inspirational as his name is alliterative. Sadly, before my much anticipated second viewing, I learned that the primate performers playing the lead role of Jack, as well as his off-set monkey girlfriend playing Lucy (quite the looker if you ask me) are active scientologists. Furthermore, these two donated the majority of their paychecks toward dianetic research. Had I been privy to this information prior to my first viewing, I never, NEVER would have spent 75 dollars on the collectors edition DVD and silver-plated palm frond from the much talked about Mexican restaurant scene.

Great family movie the kids will love and what the chimps do is amazing

Author: dfcurran from Montana wilderness
2 March 2008

I'm a filmmaker and I was amazed at how they put this movie together with the chimps. I've done one very short short called "Giant Mice From Outer Space" (youtube and veoh) with cats, ducks, dogs and deer and it took forever. The cinematography is perfect. The performances were very good considering this was tongue in cheek. I particularly liked Robbie Benson's performance.

This is a great movie kids will love and I suspect the low score here may be due to animal activists who feel chimps should not snowboard.

Parents should just be warned that you kid(s) will probably say, "Can I get a snowboard momma? It can't be hard monkeys can do it."

Most Xtreme Diarrhea

Author: LD Kant from Orlando, Florida
28 December 2006

This title says it all. I watched this movie and then, boom, diarrhea. If you sometimes have diarrhea, I would not recommend this movie. This movie is about a chimpanzee who skateboards or snowboards or plays hockey. I think it involved snow. There was some dumb little kid who didn't have any friends at the beginning of the movie and at the end he got to snowboard with some dumb guy named Bjorn. So I guess that's a happy ending. If you like diarrhea. Also, at one point in the movie he (Bjorn) said something about "that's tight dawg." I laughed really hard. So hard in fact that diarrhea shot out of my butt and onto the guy sitting next to me. I don't recommend this movie for people with sideways pointing butts.

Another great failure of cinema

Author: airbrushbrian from United States
16 March 2008

Whats the demograghic? If you're under 3 you wont understand it. If you're 4 and over you will be looking for the hour of life wasted on this cinematic masterpiece. If I could contact the writers and producers, I would tell them to give up and give me that extra side of bbq they forgot to bring with my fries. This piece of crap was so big, no chimp could pick it up and throw it. I saw this movie on late night local TV and I feel like the network owes me money even though it was at no cost to me, well, my soul has been taxed heavily. What the hell. Im no longer watching movies, thanks MXP (Most Excellent Production) Assholes.

The Best Snowboarding Monkey Movie Ever!!! 10+ !!!

Author: makeham98 from Greencastle, IN
21 January 2004

This movie is fantastic. From the opening, where four intrepid chimps wearing straw Mexican hats and serapes fly to Colorado on a commercial airliner to the breathtaking nordic stunts, this movie is a winner all the way! This series of movies rules! Highly recommended. I can't wait for the next installment.