IMDb > The Christmas Shoes (2002) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Missing Warning Label

Author: Jennie (jennie0409@comcast.net) from Delaware, USA
2 December 2002

By the title and movie description, I thought I was in for two hours of a sweet heartwarming Christmas story. I was close. While this film is a heartwarming one, it's also quite tragic. The only thing missing was a warning about how sad and depressing some parts in the movie are. Kimberly Williams gives a stellar performance, and Max Morrow and Amber Marshall are perfect for the roles of the cute kids, much needed for the story. Although Rob Lowe was disappointing for the first time, in my opinion, I think this movie is a great one for families to see together. I think that there are many tough issues addressed in "The Christmas Shoes," giving parents an easy opening to talk to their kids about some of the harder things in life. This movie is realistic. Normally, it's easy to laugh at so-called "sad" movies, because in the end, everyone's happy, all ends well, and they do live happily ever after. Movie characters! But this film has a real-life feel to it. It's sweet, bitterly sad, heartwarming, and family-oriented. Definitely see this the next time it's on TV!

Nice movie about miracles, if somewhat sad

Author: vchimpanzee
9 December 2002

Rob Lowe plays a lawyer who is so obsessed with work that he misses a school concert where his daughter has a solo. He is also having problems with his marriage. Kimberly Williams is the volunteer choral director who finds out she has a fatal condition requiring a heart transplant for a cure to take place. Two families cross paths in a number of instances. Lowe's wife takes over for Williams, canceling an important job interview her husband worked hard to arrange. Williams' husband is the mechanic who ends up working on Lowe's car. Later in the movie, Williams' son, fearing his mother will be having her last Christmas, seeks to buy Williams a pair of special shoes which Lowe earlier found lying in the street, mysteriously intended to be delivered to a department store which did not order them. Lowe gets the shoes to the store (eventually) and later plays a role in helping the boy buy the shoes. The boy's teacher rents a room from Lowe's mother, who we know will probably die during the movie, since Lowe is visiting her grave at the movie's start, 15 years after her death. The boy faces numerous obstacles in his quest for the shoes, and while miracles do happen in the movie, not everything comes out the way you would hope.

Miracles Really Can Happen

Author: Lisa from Ohio
3 December 2002

When I heard this movie was coming out, I knew that I would love it. I

read the book, The Christmas Shoes and loved it. When I saw the movie,

I truly knew that it was just as good as the book.

The acting was just incredible. Rob Lowe did a great job of playing a

workaholic lawyer who barely spent any time with his family. What

really made me love this movie and book was Nathan (Max Morrow). When

he saw those Christmas shoes in the store, the look on his face was

priceless. When he helped Robert Layton (Lowe) discover what he was

missing, I simply burst into tears. I normally do not cry during a

movie this much, but this movie was so wonderful. All of those things

that kept happening to Layton and how he slowly saw what he was missing

out on was just so wonderfully written and acted out.

This movie and the book go to prove that miracles really do happen. My

favorite moment in the movie was near the end when Robert, his wife,

and his daughter were standing in front of Nathan's house. The

expressions on their faces was so sad but so real.

I highly recommend this wonderful holiday movie to anyone who believes

in miracles, and even to those who don't--this movie may change what

you think about miracles happening.

A story about a boy who wanted to do something special for his mother before Christmas.

Author: samdbuk
29 November 2003

This was a tear jerker, unexpected for a Christmas movie. I was impressed by the boy's (actor Max Morrow) acting. I've seen a few TV movies in the past, but they were mostly mediocre. It was surprisingly good for a TV movie. This is definitely worth watching if it shows again on TV.

Wonderful Movie and Song

Author: chefofalltrades from United States
17 December 2005

I loved this movie. The song put me to tears, but the movie was even better. I just wish that they would show it on TV again. Seems like after the first year, this was a forgotten movie. Almost like Mr. McGreggors Christmas. Once you saw it, you wanted to see it again, but it was never played again. If I could get anyone to play this movie, I would try my best to do so. There are not enough good Christmas movies out there these days. Some of the one's they are making are stupid. Why can't we put the meaning of Christmas back in movies. Like It's A wonderful life, or Miracle on 34th street, or White Christmas. We need more decent Christmas movies.

Great Movie

Author: tonybnelson from United States
1 January 2006

Me and my family thoroughly enjoyed the movie on TV. The plot was excellent and the characters were great. The movie changed a lot of ways people thought about Christmas and the importance of sacrifice for something you really want to do. We enjoyed the movie enough that we wish it would broadcast again. The boy wanting the shoes for his mother showed that he loved his mother dearly and wanted to please her on her last days before going to see Jesus. The man that gave him the extra money so that the boy could afford the shoes realized that he needed to spend more time with his kids and less time with work. It was really a tear jerker and I cried halfway through the movie.

Wonderful

Author: thumpergirl03 from United States
27 November 2007

I rented this movie from my church and just got finished watching it. I never read the book but I've heard the song on the radio, and cried the first time i heard it. The acting was superb especially Rob Lowe as Robert Layton (he's one of my favorite actors). The boy who played Nathan was excellent his acting was so good and realistic that I cried with him. It's especially sad that his mom died at Christmastime. The choir who sang outside the home were beautiful they sounded like a professional choir. I'm not gonna ruin it for people who haven't seen it but I will say that I definitely recommend it to people who believe in miracles and how the smallest ones can change your life.

Great performances-highly recommended for family viewing!

Author: Rhonda Kelley from West Chester, OH
25 December 2002

This is now my all-time favorite Christmas movie.I am hoping to buy the video as soon as it is available. I have not read the book, but have the song. I am so glad they made a movie such as this one and I can't believe it wasn't a Hallmark movie-it should be.

One of the best Christmas movies ever.

Author: kentclan from United States
7 January 2006

The wife and I both watched the movie awhile back and thoroughly enjoyed it.This movie brought on the true meaning and spirit of Christmas that is within all of us if we would only nurture it. The sequel was also quite heartwarming. This is sure to be a Christmas classic to watch every year and will be one I'm sure along with the other great ones. The story was well written and flowed smoothly along with no twists and mundane added scenes or unnecessary ones.The acting by all cast members was superb and well delivered.Heartwarming it definitely was and a tearjerker to boot.This is the type movie that should be watched during the year and not just at Christmas as the story is so appealing to us all.I hope to see it very soon on DVD in the USA.

Rob Lowe, what are you doing here?

Author: buiger from Monaco
7 October 2007

I cannot believe Rob Lowe left 'The West Wing' for this... In 'The West Wing' his character was a living, breathing thing, here it is nothing more than a cardboard cut-out! What a mistake!

This film was basically well made, decently acted, and very, very sad and depressing. However, the main problem of the movie is the idea behind it, it's way too simplistic, and far too moralist. In its wanting to be a moral beacon, preaching what it believes and spelling it out at such great length that even the mentally handicapped would have understood, it goes way over the top and becomes soapy. In the end this is a film that only overly sentimental grandmothers with advanced sclerosis will really be able to enjoy. Everybody else should better stay away!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]