IMDb > Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie

This is funny, I don't care who you are...

Author: Poe-17 from usa
23 December 2003

I know this comedy show taped in Phoenix offends some people and others just don't get the southern humor. But if anything can cross lines, this video will.

I'm at a loss to explain those who want to march on comedians, movies or any other creative endeavor that violates some politically correct niche the would be marchers inhabit. It's like Jay Leno making a frog comment and the letters pile in from some society dedicated to the prevention of amphibious slander.

One commenter made notes of "prejudices" that had me laughing nearly as much as I laughed at the video. The rampant prejudice in their comedy is aimed not at any stereotype other than themselves; rednecks! Anyone believing these four men are the characters on stage is trapped inside television. This ain't real folks. They're playing parts like any actor.

For profiling advice, see Ron White.

Speaking of Ron, all these guys are hilarious. Yes, some of their material has been around long enough many have heard the routines, but they are funny and they are a comfortable ensemble. Larry the Cable Guy seems to be a "I wish I hadn't laughed at that crudity but I did" favorite, but I'm telling you Ron White is comedic genius.

His pacing and timing is perfect, his delivery of the kind that one is born with, not learned. You can turn off the sound and he is still funny. He reminds me of Dean Martin's presence (not because of the cigarette and Manhattan) but because he has a subliminal connect with the audience. He comes out, he grins and they're all buddies before the first word comes out of his mouth.

These guys, as a group and as individuals, are not stupid. You don't get to where they are by being idiots, only by portraying them. They know what they are doing.

This video is about laughing, about laughing really hard because they talk about things that have happened to us, things we have felt. Life is sweet, life is beautiful, life can be ugly and hard, and, often, life, real life, is hilarious. And all those traits aren't isolate, they mix and mingle and complicate.

This crew just reminds us of that.

Unfortunatly, they ARE just like me

Author: Matt Cyganik (Prezkot29@yahoo.com) from Phoenix, AZ
16 March 2003

When the 'Blue Collar' movie came out in Phoenix, I was weary in seeing it. I figured it was comedy for country boys, and I've always been an activist to prove that Arizona isn't just full of country-music lovin hicks and mexicans.

My grandmother really wanted to see it, and also finding out it was exclusively released in these parts (NY and LA are always the ones to show those spectacular indie movies first) and taped at Phoenix's Dodge Theatre, I decided to go for it. We saw it in January.

My first expectations were that it'd be stupid redneck humor. Most of it was, but it was really fun nonetheless. Taping the gang in various stores around Phoenix, making idiots of themselves were funny.

Sadly, the film and the comedians probably would be swallowed up had they not had the popularity of Jeff 'Redneck' Foxxworty on their team. It's a shame because Bill Engvall was truly the standout.

Bill Engvall was absolutely hilarious. His section of the concert really shined. He got an A. Ron White was really funny too. B. Jeff Foxxworty kind of lagged. Outside of his Redneck jokes (which is the whole selling point, and they aren't even THAT great), his comedy was a little bland. Overall he gets a C. Larry The Cable Guy was the worst. The movie was really good outside of part. He was rude, crude, dumb, and unfunny. I found myself constantly waiting for his part to be over. D-.

Then the guys joined together onstage to do a 'storytelling' type of humor. It came off pretty funny. B+

Overall, I'd give this 8/10. I'm glad it's trickling into other theatres so others can see a close send-up to The Original Kings Of Comedy. Just don't associate the movie with Arizona all being this way. I hate people who make that assumption.

It's a southern thing!

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
15 January 2005

Finally,a showcase of humor I can appreciate.I am a southerner,and while I may not be exactly like these guys,I know people who are.Therefore,I get along with this type of humor and know exactly where they are coming from.I must admit,while I am familiar with the work of Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall,that I was seeing Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy for the first time.They are all hilarious,though Larry the Cable Guy may take a few steps too many on the raw side.While the humor and routines were fantastic,the "in between" sequences could have been done better. For example,when the guys go into the Victoria's Secret store,they are greeted by Heidi Klum pretending to be a worker there.I think that this sequence would have been much better had it been a little more spontaneous and unplanned.It would have been fun,I think,for the guys to make an unplanned visit to a real Victoria's secret store just to see what would happen.Also,David Alan Grier seems and looks way out of place here.Other than these minor flaws,it is a good film for the stand up humor alone.

Watch it once...that is plenty

Author: rdwright from Advance, NC
26 July 2004

I am not a yuppie, country club golfer, or business tycoon. I have been called a redneck among other things, and I went to Agriculture school and am employed as a salesman for a livestock equipment company. I say all that to say this- I am a blue collar North Carolina country boy, and I think this movie just doesn't cut it.

RON WHITE- Perhaps the funniest of the comedians featured here (believe me, there's more on the unfunny ones later), Ron White's material deals with small town life in a different way than Foxworthy/Engvall/LTCG. His comedy is more cerebral than the others, so I'm sure that fans of the other 3 won't find White as funny.

BILL ENGVALL- Bill Engvall's shtick has worn thin by now. The "Here's Your Sign" bit died in 1996, but don't tell that to Bill. Watching this film, I get the feeling that Bill Engvall thinks he is funnier than he really is. If you can make it through Bill Engvall, here's to ya.

LARRY THE CABLE GUY- Larry the Cable Guy I just don't get. His voice is an obvious caricature of the dumb redneck at the gas station and I admit that the first time I saw this movie, I actually thought he was kind of funny, but the more I see his act and hear his voice, the more it grates on my nerves. He has a knack for making up "madder than", "happier than", "meaner than" type quips that some audiences have howled at, but I just scratch my head. The material in this movie isn't so bad and it's not totally unfunny, but if you get a chance (and God help you if you consciously do so) to see Git-R-Done, which is LTCG's full routine, you will see some of the worst comedy ever recorded. And yet, the audiences roar and Larry is hotter than a rocket. Go figure

JEFF FOXWORTHY- Foxworthy is now a guilty pleasure. The "You Might Be A Redneck" routine has worn VERY thin by now, and you can even see apprehension on Foxworthy's part when he is going through this bit later in his act. I think it has pigeon holed him as the redneck comic. His stand-up is better than Engvall & LTCG, but the whole bit is nothing new. The guilty pleasure part of all of this is that I can't turn away from Jeff Foxworthy. When he's on the radio, I can't help but listen to the same routines that I've heard a thousand times before. Maybe that is the appeal of Blue Collar comedy.

Ironically, I think people who get the biggest kicks out of this aren't rednecks at all. I watched this on Comedy Central with 2 guys- one from Maine, one from New Hampshire- and they laughed like this was the funniest thing they had seen.

The beautiful thing about comedy is that it knows no bounds and is broad enough to appeal to every human being on earth. I prefer a Brian Regan or Dennis Miller, while some prefer Chris Rock, David Brenner, or Bob Hope. There is no one alive who doesn't like to laugh and the bottom line is that this is a love-it or hate-it film based on what makes you laugh; there are no gray areas here.

Very funny.....but it should have come out last year.

Author: asaidi-2 from Los Angeles, Ca
30 March 2003

This is a very funny movie. The only problem (for me) is that it came out about a year too late.

I've already heard almost all of the jokes in the movie. Ron White and Larry the cable guy basically do the same jokes they did on the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" CD that came out at the end of 2000. Also, almost all of Bill Engvalls jokes were on that CD or his new comedy CD that came out late last year ("Cheap Drunk: An Autobiography"). Most of Jeff Foxworthys jokes are not on a CD, but if you've seen him live sometime during the last couple of years you've heard almost all of them. Actually, you can say that about all 4 guys.

However, if you've never heard of the 4 guys before or if you've heard of them but never seen them live or heard any of their CD's, then definitely go see this movie. The jokes are hysterical. Then you can go and pick up the comedy CD's and see them live. They have new jokes when you see them live.

Embrace Ignorance

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
11 August 2004

Spoilers herein.

It used to be that a standup comic would make an LP. Cosby, Prior... all the greats would have to generate funny from a universal place. We'd buy these for a specific laughing purpose which is all but forgotten now. Things have changed - DVDs have switched the economics of comedy, so that lesser talents can be moved into niches. Movies are all about inventing lives, so those niches are now defined by comics and routines that are all about helping the audience decide who they are.

I thought little of this was funny, and none of the unpracticed stuff. If these guys really were blue collar comics, they would be genuinely funny people (we all know some) instead of professional storytellers with funny material.

But I'll give them this: nearly all this humor is goodnatured. It invites the audience to poke fun at itself. Contrast this with most `black' humor, which helps its audience define itself by poking fun at others.

A perfect cocktail of wit, intellect and laid-back humor!

Author: disturbingsanity
28 August 2004

The documentary-style stand-up comedy portrait begins with our four favorite comedians fishing in a small lake, firing of one comfortable relaxed joke after another.. This set-up puts the specs into the wonderful laid-back mood that these stand-up comedians prosper from. Their intellectual commenting, unexpected twists, playful teasing and the in-between-the-stand-up-sequences make this mix of stand-up styles work as a perfect cocktail; Ron, as the whiskey-drinking loud-mouth with an almost scary instinct for fast remarks and extremely intelligent commenting. Larry, the extra-extra laid-back red-neck of the lot, who delivers almost every joke with his one personal trademark written all over it and a certain "that just ain't right" feel to it. Bill, with his sharp interpretations of everyday life, his ruthless "here's your card [stupid]" jokes and finally, but not least, his openhearted spills of his personal life. Jeff (without a doubt the most famous of the four, at the time), with his well-known comedy based on his own life and that of others around him, only beaten by his own "you know you're a Red-Neck when..." jokes. ..If someone's chained you to a chair, locked you into a room and swallowed the key - being the ONLY reason not to have seen this stand-up marvel - I suggest you burst out of those chains, smash open that door and run down to the nearest video-store ASAP; cause this one, can't be missed!!!

Will keep you laughing the whole time

Author: jace_813 from Florida, US
19 July 2003

Prior to seeing this show I had not heard of either Ron White or Larry the Cable Guy but enjoyed their humor nonetheless. I have been a long standing fan of both Foxworthy and Engvall and they did not fail to please. Many of the jokes in the tour were old ones for those of us familiar with the two but kept me laughing hard anyway. Keep this in mind though because if you are looking for a lot of new lines than this is NOT the show for you. Much of Larry's humor is somewhat crass but there are definitely a few good ones in his act too. Each act is separated by shots of the four comedians doing things around town and just generally having fun. It is obvious that the four of them have long been friends and enjoy each others company and a few good laughs at each others expense. Although I loved the clips and each comic's routine, the best part is at the end. All four come out together for the finale and tell some stories to the audience and once again enjoy poking a little fun at each other. The even take their hand at using each other's trademark items ("You Might Be a Redneck" and "Here's Your Sign"). Once again it was the interaction between the four of them that made it all that much funnier. All said and done it was a very funny and enjoyable show and I'd rate it a 7.5 out of 10.

Their own kind of cool

Author: maxsmodels from United States
8 September 2007

I got this DVD after having seen bits of their humor before. I have seen it at least 5 times since. It just never gets old. Except for Larry TCG the characters do not seem to be acting. Even Larry is convincing a no-class bubba, but I have seen his early work before when he went by his give name (Dan Whitney). He is actually from Nebraska but he makes one great southern bubba (and I am from the deep south, so trust me on this one).

These guys all exude their own kind of cool. They are comfortable in their own skins and make you feel like they'd all be fun to hang out with. Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall come across as two guys that you would like to have as neighbors or co-workers. Their humor never strays far from everyday life and its unexpected twists. It doesn't have to because they know how to tell a story.

Engvall's "here's your sign" jokes (he awards people a "stupid" sign to wear when they do or say something idiotic) and Foxworthy's "You may be a redneck if....." jokes abound and are still funny. Even though the material is a staple of their respective work, they keep updating it with new ones. For the die hard fans these jokes are a must. Foxworthy has some "new" redneck words as well.

Ron white, who comes across as a somewhat more intense character, is funny but a bit darker. His shows uses what appear to be real demons from his past to make you laugh, and laugh you will.

If I were to make a movie with these guys I'd put it in a used car lot in the deep south with Foxworthy and Engvall as quasi-straight salesmen selling various autos to the same type of people they usually make fun of. White would be the dubious owner and Larry TCG as the mechanic/tow truck driver (there's a stretch). It would be like the movie "Used Cars" meets "Green Acres".

Drop that tater salad and back away from the eating' britches…

Author: rice_a_roni from NJ, USA
18 June 2004

Some background: Spent the tender formative years of my adolescence and young adulthood in VA; worked in blue collar jobs around a lot of other blue collar co-workers; married into a relatively poor southern family (not that mine was rich by any stretch of the imagination).

I found this DVD in the local used rack and bought it without really knowing anything about it due to the presence of Jeff Foxworthy on it. I guess I should have been aware of Bill Engvall somehow, as he seems to have (and acts kind of uppity like he has) first or second billing, but he was new to me. Larry the Cable Guy and Ron White were also new to me, and appeared to have third billing together.

Jeff basically phoned his performance in, but he did get a chuckle out of me now and then. A disappointment. Surprisingly his southern angle didn't ring very true - more Midwest if you ask me, both in content and delivery. Nothing wrong with that per se, just didn't fit in so well with the others.

"Here's your sign" Bill Engvall struck me as a big fish from a little southern pond; sanctimonious, maudlin, kind of a jerk actually. Some of his stuff was funny, but he had this superiority thing going that really turned me off. Maybe I'm just slow, but it took me a while to figure out the whole "here's your sign" shtick, but I guess if you already are familiar with him and his act then you know what to expect. He laughed too much at his own stuff. OK, I laughed too now and then, but overall he was annoying.

Ron White was easy-going and full of charisma, and had some great material and an even greater delivery. I have no idea how much the drink in his hand was contributing to his performance, but it appeared to be enhancing the entire laid-back southern thing and not seriously interfering with the mental functions required to do stand-up. Ron was incredibly humorous and made me laugh like I hadn't laughed in a while. Really good stuff. I'm going to get his "Tater Salad" DVD when it comes out.

Larry the Cable Guy was the best, though. If you've never spent time with someone like him, you might think that he is some kind of hick caricature - he is not. These people really exist, and their take on things can easily be perceived by the uninitiated as near self-parody. Larry either comes from NC or thereabouts, or is a very good study (I believe the latter). He has the vocal inflections, speech patterns, phrases, and body language of that area down cold, all the way to the absent-minded arm scratching. And his material is a riot! Side-splittingly funny! I almost went hoarse with laughing. I went and got his "Get-R-Done!" DVD yesterday and it didn't disappoint, but he seemed a bit fresher on the BCCT DVD. (FYI: no real overlap in the material on the two DVDs; even his "eatin' britches" routine is expanded and quite different on "Get-R-Done!". I want a Dunkin' Britches franchise of my own!)

Rating as-is: 7.5 out of 10. Without Jeff and Bill: 9 out of 10.