IMDb > "Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye" More at IMDbPro »

a good crime drama

Author: GURNEY RAMPART
22 June 2003

The program focuses on a deaf cop who solves crimes in a FBI task force. The show is a crime drama but the show also deals with the disability the main character has and how she deals with it each day. This appraoch is unusual in broadcast tv and makes for the unusual appeal of this program. SUE THOMAS is a good show; it's a good crime drama and drama period.

Fantastic, Inspirational!

Author: stace-1 from East Midlands, England, UK
15 March 2004

This programme is fantastic i love it! It teaches everyone that despite physical set backs you can do anything you set your mind to. Sue Thomas is an amazing woman, that many people should look to as a role model, particularly if they themselves have a disability. Its a truly inspirational story, that is well written and well acted, especially by Deanne Bray a deaf actress who is also an amazing role model for people with a disability by overcoming her limitations and becoming a fantastic actress and a science/maths teacher for deaf students. Sue Thomas:FBEye is warmly received and enjoyed by all genders and ages. watch it if you haven't already!

Way better than any of the CSI shows

Author: cabasaexpert351 from United States
25 February 2005

I love this show and I think it is way better than any of the CSI shows. I think that it has better stories and the characters have more depth and there is more meaning in the character's relationships with each other. Sue is a genuinely kind character and it shows in her work and in her encounters with people. I am, however, getting frustrated because it's so obvious that her and Jack like each other so I wish that they would just hook up. I also like the fact that there is a good balance between the seriousness of their line of work and comedy relief in their need to be human and laugh. I also have to say that Sue's dog is so cute!!!!!!!!!!

Get to know the real Sue Thomas!

Author: dbhnsn from San Francisco Bay Area
17 October 2003

You know of her through the TV series `Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye.' Now here is the rest you didn't know, and her story is sure to capture a place in your heart. When only 18 months, Sue suffered a total loss of hearing. Her parents determined to help her become part of the `hearing world,' so they enrolled her in a special school where she learned to speak and read lips. At age seven, Sue became the youngest ever Ohio State Champion free-style skater. Later she took up trumpet and piano and became an accomplished classical pianist. Sue's parents taught her that with God's help, she could accomplish anything.

After college and graduate school, Sue was hired by the FBI. Her outstanding ability to read lips led to work in undercover surveillance as dramatized in the popular television series , `Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye.' Sue's role is played by Deanne Bray, who is also a deaf woman.

Despite her success with the FBI, Sue felt something still was missing. Following further graduate studies, she had a burning desire to proclaim the love and forgiveness of God, which she does as a speaker nationally before civic, professional and church groups. She is interviewed regularly on television and radio. She has also authored her best selling autobiography, `Silent Night.' When not on the road speaking, Sue lives in Ohio with her golden retriever.

But Sue's amazing story does not end there. She has been diagnosed with the debilitating illness Multiple Sclerosis that affects her mobility and vision. Yet she meets this challenge head-on as she has every other obstacle. In this program, Sue tells how God helped her overcome daunting obstacles to share her message of hope and inspiration with others.

One of the Best Shows on Television of All Time

Author: caprig from Northeastern US
10 April 2006

We met Sue Thomas in the early 1990's and for years, that encounter affected our lives. Sue was an inspiration to us and we thought of her often. When we first heard of this series, we were not sure what to expect, but quickly the beauty of the cast and writing captured our hearts.

The actors are PERFECTLY cast, the writing is impeccable, and the story lines are fabulous. We never have seen a show with such consistent high quality writing. Deanne Bray captures Sue's qualities beautifully.

This show is one of the all time classic shows that never should have been canceled. I only wish that more people would have seen it before it was unfairly canceled. We all cried at the last episode of this series (including my husband, who just does not get that involved with TV). We had felt like we were saying good bye to family members. This series was one of a kind.

Sue Thomas F.B.Eye

Author: italia_goalielife from Canada
29 April 2006

Sue Thomas F.B.Eye is a great show. I watch Sue Thomas all the time and I can't get enough of it and I love it! There a great story line and the relationship between Jack Hudson and Sue Thomas makes the show more interesting and I can't forget about the cute GoldenRetiver "Levi" who is a great aspect to the show. The cases are great and the way Sue can read lips is a very cool talent. I hope they keep on making more episodes and that Jack and Sue end up together because you know it was meant to be. It seems that the F.B.I agents get along great and they seem to have a good connection because on the show, when one agent is down the other agents have that persons back. The cast they picked for the show is great I don't think you can have a better group of actors working together.

This may be the last season of this excellent series...

Author: temlakos from United States
20 December 2004

...so it's time to reflect on what the series has meant to its fans. This show truly has something for everyone. For the deaf, Sue Thomas has been someone to identify with--and about ten percent of the episodes have dealt squarely with Sue's deafness, how she works around it in her dealings with "the hearing world," and how she can work effectively with deaf witnesses and even a deaf suspect. (The episode in which Sue takes her hearing roommate to a deaf club is one of my favorites, and I'm a hearing man!) For all you dog lovers out there, Levi has warmed a lot of hearts, I'm sure--like the time that Levi, under the influence of the wrong medicine, first used SA Leland's leg as a lamppost (ROFL!) and then got lost in the city. And for people interested in good crime drama--or hard-hitting treatment of controversial subjects like international terrorism--the show had that, too.

Unfortunately, the show will now fall victim to one of the hallmarks of its own success, which is the diversity of its fan base. From my personal observation, the fans of the show now seem unable to lay aside some of the differences that divide them--often bitterly, especially that old divide between the deaf and the hearing--long enough to develop a coherent strategy to save their show from the near-oblivion of syndication in obscure markets and even more obscure time slots. If that is what will happen to this show, I, for one, will deeply mourn its passing--and I will also mourn the loss of a common point-of-reference that, while it was on, allowed the deaf and the hearing to have a reason to talk with one another. (To reply to one persistent sore point with the deaf fans of this show, maybe the producers emphasized a little too much the inter-office romance between the title character and SA Jack Hudson. We all know that the real Sue Thomas did not have any such entanglement, and indeed did not stay in the FBI long enough for any such thing to develop. And maybe the show could have had more episodes in which the title character's deafness was central to the plot--and not just shows in which she uses her special skills during surveillance, interviews a deaf witness or suspect, etc. That said, any show with a team of regulars needs to focus occasionally on various members of the team, not just the title character. Furthermore, any show needs a diverse pool of script ideas, or it will die very quickly.)

I understand that Gary and Dave Alan Johnson, the producers, are trying hard to find another venue to allow them to continue to produce new episodes. I wish them every success. But if they fail, I would hope that they could try again. They are two of the finest producers that this industry has known at least since Desi Arnaz--and probably since Marconi first built his original prototype television receiver, before the Depression delayed the introduction of television to the mass market. More importantly, I would hope that new friendships that might have developed between the deaf and the hearing because of this show, do not dissolve when the show is no more.

PS: I can understand the hostility that the deaf often feel toward the hearing. Of all the handicaps that a child might get teased about, deafness is second only to dyslexia in the unmerciful quality of such hazing. If the Johnson Brothers do manage to get another lease on this show, then they ought to do more scripts showing Sue Thomas reaching out to deaf people who have had their feelings hurt just this way--and not necessarily as part of FBI "business," either. I'm sure the real Sue Thomas would definitely approve.

Very good show!

Author: mum-6 from California
11 November 2002

I like this show because it teaches watchers lessons about those people who are handicapped. This teaches them that, even if you're handicapped, you can do anything that you put your mind to. Deanne Bray acts out the part of Sue Thomas. Deanne Bray is a deaf actress, and I like her acting. Because she is deaf she helps the image of Sue Thomas. And this makes the show really good. All the other actors and actresses act really well also. They are very convincing just like Deanne Bray is. This is indeed a very good show!

how I feel about Sue Thomas F.B.Eye

Author: btruckno1 from United States
10 April 2006

I have only started watching this show in the last month, but, now place it among my top five favorite shows of all-time. The reasons are:1) that it's based on facts, as are the story lines used in the show. 2) The main character is played by a deaf person, which makes the show believable. 3) Each show has a good message for all to see. 4) all the actors do a good job, and the chemistry of the cast works well.

I would recommend "Sue Thomas F.B. Eye to anybody. I wish Hollywierd (oops Hollywood) would get a clue, that people actually want to watch shows that have a good message and that are about the overall good of at least some people. It is a shame that Hollywood continues to promote ideals that do not line up with what the majority of people feel and think.

The Eyes have it.

Author: BethKyleXYnet from United States
17 March 2006

Sue Thomas FBEye is a fascinating show for several reasons: It's FBI drama. (That's always fascinating.) It's got a team setting with often humorous character interaction. It's got a female lead character with special abilities based neither in science fiction nor plastic surgery. ASL is an awesome and complex language. To be able to effectively use it on TV so that hearing viewers can relate to what's going on is a great achievement. Based on real life stories, the female lead seems like a nice lady who'd make a great friend to anybody. There's a hearing-ear dog! (I'm no Lassie fan, but I like Levi.) Great show! Can't wait for the DVD!