IMDb > Mickey's House of Villains (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

One Great Classic Get-to-gether

Author: Hollywood_Yoda from Outside Hollywood
4 September 2002

WARNING: Telling Secrets

This is a greatly put together piece of work, from Lonesome Ghosts to other Halloween classic tales told and starred by the Disney gang. My favorite part was the Trick or Treat with Donald and his three nephews, and Hazel the witch, when she zaps Donald a few times. This is one video a Disney fan can not be without. It should be in every Disney library.

It's Our House Now!

Author: kramrueb (mickeybeb@att.net) from NJ
23 September 2002

What a great song!!

Anyway, this House of Mouse movie was much better than the Christmas one. The concept and plot of the villians was very interesting. Many of the segments were hysterical. Especially "How to be Ghost" (or something like that). You could tell that "How to be a Ghost" was animated very well. The classic segments were a great addition! Also, the music and animation matched perfectly for the "Dance of the Goofys" and the "Hansel-mickey and Gretel-minnie".

Great movie and the DVD's game was also very well done.

Good, Fun Disney Moments

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
30 January 2004

If there's anything I learned by watching both House of Villains and Snowed in at the House of Mouse, it is that the House of Mouse format just doesn't seem to fit as a full-fledged movie. I definitely enjoy the House of Mouse series, but both these movies just seem to drag on a little too long.

This is not to say that I didn't like any of the HOM movies. I thought all the cartoons showed on the Christmas special were great, and I thought most of the ones on Villains were great too. However, Villains has the upper hand when it comes to the in-between segments. The story for Villains was much better and interesting as the Villains tried to take over the House of Mouse.

However, that is really just a small part of this movie. I still think the greatest draw is the animated shorts. Villains has more of a Halloween theme as they showcase Disney classics like Donald Duck & the Gorilla and Lonesome Ghosts and even new spooky shorts like the hilarious How to Haunt a House. This cartoon resurrects the classic Goofy How-to cartoons and gives it a paranormal twist. A narrator instructs Goofy and the viewers on how to properly act like a ghost. These are the type of cartoons that Goofy is best at as he bumbles and stumbles along trying to scare Donald, who definitely added even more humor to this cartoon. Even Mickey has a funny cameo.

So overall, Mickey's House of Villains has its entertaining moments, but it's nothing too extraordinary. My suggestion is to check out the whole thing once, and from then on, watch the cartoons and segments you enjoy the most. There are some good ones in there!

My IMDb Rating: 7/10

Entertaining, if nothing extraordinary

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 July 2010

As a huge Disney fan, I enjoyed this movie. It was fun and entertaining, while being nothing groundbreaking. Just for the record, I love the show House of Mouse, it is one of those shows with a great concept and makes me feel all nostalgic. Mickey's House of Villains had a really interesting idea and made the most of it.

Mickey's House of Villains does have its problems though. The film is too short at only an hour and a quarter or so, and as much as the shorts were so wonderful to watch too much time was spent until the main focus of the story was even introduced. And I also felt they could have done much more with the ending which felt rushed.

Flaws aside, the animation is great I feel and sticks to the style of the show. I especially liked Jafar's entrance from The Cave of Wonders, talk about a stylish entrance. The music is a delight as well, the incidental music is really good, but the song It's Our House Now was not only catchy and entertaining it was the highlight of the film. The dialogue is good, humorous often, and Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald are great to watch. Other than It's Our House Now, two assets stood out. One was seeing those shorts, How to Haunt a House was hilarious, Donald and the Gorilla was delightful for a first time viewer and Lonesome Ghosts is a Halloween classic as is Trick or Treat. Dance of the Goofys was quite cute and funny, and I enjoyed Mickey and Minnie's take on Hansel and Gretel especially for the use of Danse Macabre. The second asset was seeing all those villains, Jafar steals the show, but Ursula, Chernabog, Cruella DeVil, Captain Hook and Hades are also delightful to watch. It was nice to see Maleficent and the Wicked Queen as well, but they should have been given more to say.

Overall, while nothing groundbreaking it is a very entertaining film. 7/10 Bethany Cox

classic Disney fun!

Author: popopcms from United States
9 April 2007

though of coarse not as good as the actual movie but a nice addition to the straight to video bunch I was looking through my home video collection and for some reason I got caught with the Disney bug. I just had to watch one. but I could not decide until I saw this, and I was ecstatic to watch. I really could not remember most of it since I haven't it since 2002 when I was 9, but even at age 14 that old Walt Disney charm still has the same effect on me, the same way it did when I was younger.

8/10 see it if you love those Disney villains!!!

GO Disney!

These Disney villains cooperated together better in Kingdom Hearts.

Author: Liviatan Whale from France
31 October 2013

It's Halloween in Mickey's House of Mouse and even the villains are invited, which becomes a recipe for disaster as Jafar rounds up his gang to strike at midnight and take over the club. Kicked out of their propriety, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Daisy and Minie work together to fend off the felons and restore the clubhouse.

That's all there is to the plot, and that's only for the scenes not including the Halloween themed shorts presented every once in a while, in fact, hosting the short cartoons was exactly what Jafar does after singing "it's our house now", a song recycled and edited from one of the villain songs in the direct to video Aladdin and the King of Thieves. The climactic battle is about as much of a joke. Mickey in his wizard costume enters into the scene "T.Rex from The Right of Spring" style, plays a fiery game of baseball with Jafar as he uses his snake staff as a bat, and then Mikey gets the lamp and sucks Jafar into it while all the other villains chicken out and scurry off like the Road Runner.

You don't need to see the special to watch the older Disney shorts added in and it's easy to tell the creators didn't bother to put much effort in animation or synopsis. Kids will enjoy it, but otherwise skip it.

Die Hard Disney Fans Might Be Dissatisfied

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
29 December 2002

All in all, this wasn't that bad. It had a good premise, and a good collection of cartoons. As a die hard Disney fan I had just a couple of complaints. WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

First, the House of Villains segment, kind of the wraparound part is short and ends rather abruptly. Its as if the animators got tired of drawing and looked for a quick way to end this. They included a lot of cartoons in between, some new and some classic. Why didn't they just release A Disney Halloween (AKA Halloween Treat) on DVD. My second complaint is the types of villains that got the most attention. Very few classic ones did. Malificent from Sleeping Beauty had only one line while the Wicked Queen from Snow White had only one. Not a bad movie, but I expected more. Word of advice: Rent it first before buying it!

"It's Our House Now!"

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
24 October 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

It's Halloween night at the House of Mouse. Donald Duck and Goofy are competing for the scariest costume. The stars of all the popular Disney films from the last 7 decades were present at the club. Among them were the villains: Jafar, Ursela, Queen of Hearts, Big Bad Wolf, Pete, Mortimer Mouse, Captain Hook, Cruella De Vil, and more listened to Jafar as he planned to overthrow the club at midnight. The villains were very interested. Mickey showed some famous classic Disney cartoons like the one where Donald tricks his nephews out of Halloween candy and they meet a witch who help them get even, as well as the one where Mickey, Donald and Goofy try to rid a haunted house of it's ghostly residents, and the one where Ajax the gorilla escapes from the zoo and terrorizes Donald. New cartoons feature Goofy becoming a ghost and unsuccessfully tries to scare Donald and Mickey suffers a hi-tech house.

Midnight strikes. The villains throw Mickey, Donald, Goofy and friends out and completely take over the house. It's now called the House of Villains. The good guys must get the club back! So Mickey dons his Sorcerer's Apprentice costume and tries to take on the bad guys. Jafar was the ring leader. Once they got rid of him, the other villains would back off. Mickey got a magic lamp from Aladdin and Jafar was sucked in and was gone for good. The House of Mouse was returned to normal and the villains now behave themselves.

My overall opinion: I'm in total agreement with Merkal! This wasn't as good as Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse. Too many cartoons interfered with the plot. And some of them were just too long! Like the one where Mickey and Minnie relive Hansel and Gretel. Sheesh! I almost fast forwarded through that one. It was a good idea to get all the Disney villains together in one movie but they just went about it the wrong way. So in conclusion, I don't strongly recommend this film. However it's a great distraction for the kiddies.

A lousy excuse to get more viewers

Author: Andrew Siegfried Krahforst-Lang (laktu2) from Pittsfield, MA
9 May 2012

Wow, where do I begin with this mess of a "movie" First off let me start out by saying i never really watched House of Mouse that often, maybe once a month if that, however I do understand the premise. Mickey runs a club where they play old and new Disney cartoons staring Mickey Donald and Goofy. I never really liked it because they use really cheep versions of their usually beautifully rendered and animated characters. This "movie" however was just a lousy hyped up excuse to get people to tune in.

It starts off Jafar actually saying that everyone has to wait till "midnight" for his trick to take place, so that's a good 40 minuets into the movie. We sit through some classic Mickey Mouse cartoons and a new one I never saw before. Note that this is the only reason I gave the movie 3 stars instead of none at all. When Jafar finally decides to kick mickey out, we are treated to an almost catchy song, it's not a bad song, its just not a good one ether. The villains take over and whats the first thing they do? Start playing some new cartoons again. Mickey tries in between cartoons to get his club back and finally succeeds in what may be the dumbest ending I had ever witnessed. Stock footage of Aladdin gives Mickey the Genie's golden lamp, Mickey rubs the lamp while all the villains except for Jafar run away and he gets sucked into the lamp. I challenge you to find a more rushed ending.

Not that good

Author: Merkal from Netherlands
21 October 2002

2001's Snowed in at the House of Mouse was better put together. It made more sense. To many short cartoons in the House of Villains, to little club scenes. Jafar says that he's taking over at the start of the film, good opening by the way. Then the shorts, couple more snipplets of the House but nothing gets the story moving. Then at the end Jafar and the villains take over, kick the Fav Five and Co out of the club only to be taken back after another cartoon or two.

The collections of shorts in a HoM shell have the potential to be good if Disney decides to cut down with the cartoons and put more story in the House itself. Next year... Valentines Day, 2004... Eastern. There enough potential themes for future movies.