IMDb > Freddy vs. Jason (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 89:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Ultimate Battle Between Evil And, Um Well, Evil

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
11 November 2003

Man, I felt like this was a presidential campaign. :) Who would you vote for in this awesome battle? Me? Freddy all the way, man! I'll give you that Jason's bigger, but he's such a Mama's Boy, Freddy is just down right mean. But this movie was so incredibly awesome and such a treat to horror fans.

If you are a fan of the Friday the 13th series, this had so many tributes to the originality, sex, drugs, alcohol, stupid teens, and cliché bad acting. We had our slutty girl, the smart but always sexy girl who's a virgin, the funny stereotype black girl, a geek, a stoner, the sensitive boyfriend, and two of the coolest boogeymen of all horror cinema.

The plot, at first I had questioned how they'd do it. I mean, we got a killer from Camp Crystal Lake and a killer who haunts your dreams. But they made Freddy loose his powers and he needed the kids to be afraid so he could be strong again while feeding on their fear, but how can he do that when he's not that effective in his nightmares? Of course! Jason! Jason is like his bubble wrap, he assumes Jason will probably go away or he'll be easy to throw away after the job is done. But he surprises Freddy by staying and for the ultimate battle of who's victims are who.

This was just such a blast to watch. Classic horror cliché's and the best battle of the ultimate boogeymen were just too cool. The ending is a cliff hanger, but you have too many votes going towards both sides. We could never decide who is the best at the gore... Freddy! :D Sorry, I just needed to say that. But I think all horror fans will enjoy the battle scenes and the gore. It's just a great tribute to our favorite killers!

A dream come true! (EXCLAMATION MARK)

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
28 November 2003

I think I had never felt like this before when I walked into the cinema. It was an absolute dream come true for me. I had prepared over a year for this film, this once in a lifetime-event. I had chased every picture, every piece of scoop I could find about this movie on the internet. It was very painful when "Freddy Vs. Jason" was finally released in June in the U.S. and I still had to wait until November until the film saw its theatrical release in Vienna where I live. Yesterday, the big day had come. Is there a way that a movie that's been so hyped by myself can still live up to my expectations? Abso-friggin-lutely!

WOW! "Freddy vs. Jason" is unbelievable. What sounds like a loony's idea (to be honest, die hard-Freddy & Jason-fans like myself are mostly loonies) was made into a kick-ass flick for a wide audience. Bring along your kids, bring along your grandparents and enjoy the roller coaster ride that is "Freddy vs. Jason".

When I heard that Ronny Yu was going to be the director for this project I checked out two of his previous movies ("51st State" & "Bride of Chucky") and wasn't exactly blown away. These movies were okay but nowhere near as good as I wanted "Freddy vs. Jason" to be. Well, I have to apologize to Mr. Yu. Not only did he revive both franchises like no one would have expected it to be possible, he also managed to COMBINE the two and not make it absolutely ridiculous.

Of course, the horror that made the original "A Nightmare On Elm Street" so scary and the first "Friday The 13th" so, hmm... dark is gone by now, but it has been gone for more than ten years. Get over it, people! A movie called "Freddy vs. Jason" HAS TO BE campy. No wonder the dialog is incredibly bad at times ("Freddy is afraid of fire, Jason is afraid of water... how can we use that?"), no wonder the actors are no Academy Award winners. The right things are deliberately hammed up and self-ironic (like a boobie-goddess playing the main character, who is supposed to be a 14 year old virgin. Come on, nobody is really supposed to take that seriously!)

Let's get to the main attraction, Freddy & Jason. I have to admit I was rooting for Freddy. I adored this character since he first scared the crap out of me as a child. I had trouble falling asleep for days and although I don't find Freddy scary anymore I still love his story, his attitude and his one-liners. "Freddy vs. Jason" did him justice and that's also and mostly due to the great Robert Englund. I was down on the floor laughing my ass off as this man put up yet another great show with merciless jokes and dark comedy. Let's hope he never retires. As for Jason, he's better than ever. Sure, it would have been nice to have long time-Jason-actor Kane Hodder in this movie, but Ken Kirzinger did a very good job. Ronny Yu wasn't afraid of showing gore and Jason got some pretty original kills. (Just why is he afraid of water all of a sudden?)

Another plus for Ronny Yu is the use of colors. Preview pics of "Freddy vs. Jason" showed that this movie was going to be very colorful, which made me skeptic at first. Nightmare 4 & 5 had been red, green and blue all over and it looked very cheap and comic like. Not so with "Freddy vs. Jason". The colors look atmospheric here. The rain looked a little fake but that's probably just me.

The story is simple, which is good compared to the far fetched rejected drafts that are spread across the Internet. Maybe there were a little too many subplots in the final version, which made the movie slow in the middle. I could have done without the character that was like a copy of Kevin Smith's Jay, too. Apart from these little flaws there's no need to be nitpicky.

The box office success of "Freddy vs. Jason" was just as exciting as the film itself. It helped bring back classic 80's horror. Studios considered and made sequels/remakes to movies such as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacres" & "Halloween" again. The commercial success of "Freddy vs. Jason" also proved that there's still enough life in both of these characters to justify more sequels. Freddy was killed off way too soon anyway. Only 6 sequels? Come on, I want to see more of him, but make the movies original for Christ's sake! I'd rather see Freddy die than going to straight-to-video-hell. That's why I hope a "Nightmare"-prequel will never be made and why I beg producers not to make a "Freddy vs. Jason 2" or any other obscure vs.-movies. "Freddy vs. Jason" is the fulfillment of every fans dream and that is that.

Phew... have I said everything? Have I expressed my euphoria enough? Let me just say this at the end: A lot of people had eagerly waited for this project to be realized. Thanks Ronny Yu, Robert Englund and New Line for making it come true!

For a mute murderer, Jason Voorhees sure felt like the hero of this piece

Author: DarthBill from United States
31 March 2004

Freddy's dead and he can't get the old killing spree going again, so he wakes up Jason Voorhees to scare the kids into wetting their pants so Freddy can feed off of their fear. But like the sorcerer's apprentice, Jason, once turned on cannot be turned off, so Freddy faces off with Jason for the right to be the #1 serial killer while a bunch of busty idiot girls look on. And as we all know, after the endless line of sequels, by this entry the killers' are our friends so really you're rooting for them and not the idiot teenagers.

Of the teens, Jason Ritter is the only one who seems to know how to act (shame about his dad, John Ritter). Monica Keena is cute but she needs to lose the implants. What is Kelly Rowland doing in here? Robert Englund's as funny as ever, and Ken Kirzinger is a capable Jason. I still don't see why New Line Cinema didn't want to bring back Kane Hodder though. They say they wanted to take Jason in a new direction, but they DID NOT take Jason in a new direction. Jason's still the same hulking mute murderer he's always been, just a tad taller and bigger than before (and somehow he's got both of his eyes back). I don't see a big difference between Kane, Ken and all the rest, but Kane has professed great fondness and dedication to role of Jason, so I feel that if Kane was willing to play the part again (and it's hard to find people who are willing to be all painted up in gory make up mind you) then New Line should have accepted his services. It did feel that they were trying to make Jason out to be the more sympathetic of the two killers, but that doesn't change the fact that Jason killed the bulk of the film's teens.

Well, anyway, you get the usual dose of sex, drugs, violence, rock & roll and below par acting. So truly turn off your brain and enjoy the mayhem.

messed up marriage

Author: jaywolfenstien from USA
18 August 2003

It's A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 8 served with a side of Jason Voorhees. So unless the audience suffers from delusions as to the quality of the franchises this movie spawns from, you'll be pretty happy. It is not a masterpiece of cinema; it is not a masterpiece of horror . . . look at all the F13 and NOES. You have 17 examples of what this movie is going to be like.

Take your typical crappy Elm Street plot and cast your typical crappy Friday the 13th cast, and you have your typical crappy horror movie. Am I criticizing this movie? Not really since that crap-factor is a staple to the F13 franchise and the NOES sequels. Does anyone really care? I hope not. The whole reason anyone should see this movie comes down to the three words in the title "Freddy versus Jason." If those three words do not interest you, don't even screw with FvsJ. I mean, I don't think in film history has the title been more descriptive of the point of the movie.

While it actually takes awhile to get to the slasher deathmatch, you know it's coming . . . everyone knows there's going to be a fight to remember, so Ronny Yu opts to prolong it as far as he can and just jam packs the ending with Slasher celebrities ripping into each other . . . because, seriously, 90 minutes of Jason and Freddy hacking at each other would get downright boring. At least there's some variety and nods to old school F13 and NOES, some typical nods to the stereotyped horror formula which isn't scary but seems to be a requirement. Boobs, booze, blood . . . you know the routine. A high point of the film - I've been dying to see Voorhees crash a party and just cut through teens ala Krueger style in Elm Street 2, and I finally got to see it . . . just enough "other elements" to keep entertaining unless you're an oldschool fan and tired of hearing the mythology over and over again in every sequel.

Cut through the "good guys" whom nobody really cares about since Freddy and Jason have been the stars since forever now, get through the human's boring backstory which will be forgotten in the FvsJ2 and wait for the inevitable moment when our "heroes" run from Voorhees where Freddy turns to the nearest kid and says, "Let me handle this, bitch." Now, ladies and gentlemen, it has begun . . . now it's on. Now we rumble . . . now we see why horny teens had such a hard time killing these bad boys. Freddy makes more fatal blows against Voorhees than he did to the cast of all 8 Freddy films combined . .. and Voorhees keeps getting up. For the first time we see Freddy treated like a rag doll and tossed around/cut up like another camp crystal lake sex-addict--Voorhees makes no distinction.

So who wins? Everyone . . . unless, of course, you're under the false impression that you're going to see Welles quality cinema, in which case why are you even reading about FvsJ?

I could go through and detail the plot, characters, acting, etc like other amateur and pro critics alike, but quite frankly, I don't see the point. I mean, this is still Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. I will say that it's a better Elm Street sequel, and it is the best film featuring Jason.

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, and I'm barely an Elm Street fan and am definitely not a fan of F13 . . . take that for what it's worth.

This is a enjoyable Guilty Pleasure Slasher film.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
1 July 2005

Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) is been dead for years in the Real World and the Dream World. Since Freddy is literally in hell and forgotten in the real world. Freddy has a plan to bring back Crystal Lake Serial Killer-Jason Voorhees (Ken Kirzinger) to life in the real world. Freddy thinks by bringing Jason back to life to bring fear on Elm Street and Making Teenagers remember in Freddy again. Since Jason is a instant killing machine, Jason isn't willing to step aside. Now with a terrified town in the middle, Freddy has to find a way to kill Jason by going in his dreams before Jason takes Elm Street over. A Scared Teenager (Monica Keena) finds a way to bring Freddy to Reality from her dreams. So Freddy and Jason enter into a horrific and bloody showdown.

Directed by Ronny Yu (Bride with White Hair, Bride of Chucky, Formula 51) made an entertaining Spin-Off to the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Friday the 13th" Series. Englund, who played Freddy Krueger for the 8th time seems that he had a blast making this film. Kirzinger replaced Kane Hodder. Which Hodder originally played Jason in the last four films. Kirzinger is good as the new Jason. Sean S. Cunnigham, who produced and directed the original "Friday the 13th" is back producing this silly but larger than life epic. The film also stars-Jason Ritter (Which Jason's father-The late John Ritter worked with Yu in Bride of Chucky), Kelly Rowland (R & B singer from the group-Destiny's Child), Lochlyn Murno (Scary Movie), Chris Marquette (The Girl Next Door) and Katherine Isabelle (Ginger Snaps Trilogy).

DVD has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) transfer (also in Pan & Scan) and an superb-Dolby Digital 5.1 Expanded Surround Sound. DVD has an ingraining Commentary Track by the director and actors:Englund and Kirzinger. Disc Two has Deleted Scenes with/without Commentary, Many Behind the Scenes Featurettes, Music Video, Hidden Features, DVD-ROM Content and more.

The Canadian Blu-ray version has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen 1080P High Definition (2.35:1) transfer and an superb DTS HD 5.1 Surround Sound. Sadly the Canadian Blu-ray movie has no special features.

The book from "Crystal Lake Memories", the complete history of "Friday the 13th". The Book has interviews with Robert Shaye, Robert Englund, Producer:Sean S. Cunningham (The House Series, Deep Star Six, Friday the 13th), Director Adam Marcus (Jason Goes to Hell:The Final Friday), Screenwriter:Lewis Abernathy, Screenwriter:Roland D. Moore, Screenwriter David J. Schow (Leatherface:The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, The Crow, The Hills Run Red), Screenwriter:Ethan Reiff, Screenwriter:Cyrus Voris, Producer:Noel Cunningham, Screenwriter:Mark Verheiden, Co-Screenwriter:Mark Swift, Co-Screenwriter:Damian Shannon, Production Executive:Stokley Chaffin, Director:Ronny Yu (Bride of Chucky, Formula 51), Executive Producer:Doug Curtis, Casting Director:Matthew Barry, Actor:Christopher Marquette (Alpha Dog, The Girl Next Door), Actor:Kyle Labine, Actor:Brendan Fletcher (88 Minutes), Actor:Jesse Hutch, Actress:Kelly Rowland (One of the singers from Destiny's Child), Actress:Monica Keena (While You Were Sleeping), Actor:Jason Ritter (Son of the late John Ritter), Actor & Stuntman:Kane Hodder (Who played Jason Voorhess in Friday the 13th Part 7, 8, 9 and 10), Development Executive:Jeff Katz, Make-Up Effects Supervisor:Greg Nicotero (Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes, George A. Romero's Land of the Dead, Planet Terror), Director:John Carl Buechler (Friday the 13th Part 7:The New Blood), Actor & Stuntman:Ken Kirzinger, Make-Up Effects Supervisor:William Terezakis and President of Production:Toby Emmerich.

The film has an strong music score by Greame Revell (The Crow, Dark City, Pitch Black) that pays tribute to the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Friday the 13th". This film ended being a Box Office Smash for the Studio:New Line Cinema. Extremely Entertaining for the Fans of Freddy and Jason. Watch for New Line Topper:Robert Shaye as the Principal in a Cameo, which He's one of the Executive Producers of the film. Great gory fun all the way. Super 35. Written by Mark Swift and Damian Shannon (They both wrote the watchable but highly flawed remake of "Friday the 13th"). (****/*****).

Chop Chop Chop, Slash Slash Slash!

Author: movies2u from United States
26 August 2003

Freddy Vs. Jason (2003)

To start off, I think that any fan of any series of movies will come back for the next sequel and the next and the next etc., no matter what kind of garabage is placed in front of them. Freddy Vs. Jason wasn't complete garabage, it was okay. Freddy Krueger is now powerless since the children of Elm St. are taking a certain drug to stop their dreams, so he consults Jason Voorhees to kill the children until Freddy has power to kill again, but Jason goes on a rampage and won't stop killing in what results in a final battle of evil vs. evil. Ronny Yu, director of The Bride Of Chucky makes a neat direction in this movie, and his certain style of filmmaking added a touch that none of the Elm Street of Friday the 13th films had before. Of course, Robert Englund returns as Freddy, but Kane Hodder (who has played Jason in most of the films) is replaced by another actor. Kelly Rowland and Monica Keena pretty much lead this movie. I also noticed Katharine Isabelle from 2002's TV movie "Carrie". I have to say that fans of either series will be pleased, but other horror goers may not. Also, do not, I repeat do not watch this if you have a weak stomach. It's about one of the goriest movies I've ever seen. Bottom Line: Fans will be pleased, others will not. 7/10.

Author: kosmasp
2 April 2007

The movie itself is alright. It's exactly what it says! Freddy vs. Jason. And while we might never see my favorite movie be made (Ash vs. Freddy vs. Jason), there might be another movie around the corner, maybe involving M. Myers.

But back to this film. It delivers what it promises, the battle of the titans. Wrapped up in a nice story. And while all is good, I can't stop wondering, if there wasn't any way to make more of that particular premise ... The movie is fine, but it's just not excellent.

And one thing is for sure: Kelly Rowland plays one of the most annoying characters that I have seen in a long time. Now either she is a good actress and played that really well ... or she is a bad actress and that showed on screen (I personally think it's the latter).

A nice teen horror movie, with two of the most recognised horror characters out there!

Surprisingly good

Author: Joseph Pintar from New Hartford, NY
13 January 2004

I thought that Jason and Freddy were fossils of the 80s. I was wrong. This movie works well. I liked it better than the overrated Scream movies. Freddy and Jason make a great team. This is an exciting movie with two cult figures meeting on screen for the first time. The fight is satisfying. 7/10

A great film for fans young & old

Author: eddie (pennywise_the_firestarter) from Dewsbury England
15 December 2003

Now you're probably thinking 'Oh god not another Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street!' However, contrary to the belief of many this film is more than just a simple character crossover. There are moments where the film, instead of making you jump in fright, makes you laugh out load and sometimes it is easy to predict how a person will die. But other than a few flaws this films is a great film to see (especially if you are a fan of either series). There is also little need to have seen the previous films, although it does help, as it recaps on the characters' pasts (Freddy's more so than Jason however). The plot of this movie is that Freddy is trapped in Hell, because the children of Elm Street have forgot about him, and those that do remember him are in an institution and given medication (Hypnocyl) to stop them dreaming. So Mr. Kruger decides to acquire the assistance of, someone from Hell who is just as sadistic and evil, Jason Voorhees. Jason awakes from his eternal slumber and heads to Elm Street in the mood for slaughtering more helpless teenagers. Freddy's plan is that with all of these murders taking place the children will find out about Freddy and subsequently he will be able to go back to his old ways. However Freddy did not account for Jason's blood lust and soon finds Jason killing his potential victims. What ensues after is a battle of two equally evil forces, although most of their fighting is purely comical. This film obviously appeals to fans of Jason and Freddy but it also introduces a new generation of young adults to two classical 'slasher' characters (who should not judge the characters just on this film). Freddy and Jason are seen by many to be two of the best at what they do, and to see them finally square off is a great experience. It is good to see horror characters finally battling it out, if only to answer the question (that was always brought up when watching a horror film) of 'who would win?'

Mindless fun

Author: Derek237 from Canada
26 August 2003

I have some mixed feelings about Freddy Vs. Jason. It was a lot better than a lot of the Friday the 13ths (especially the amazingly bad Jason X), but it wasn't that great compared to some of the Nightmare films. Overall, it was enjoyable.

It has nothing new to offer except the fact that Freddy and Jason face off. It has all the horror movie clichés but never once uses them creatively. When a girl gets naked she might as well be saying "look, I'm naked!", when someone is doing drugs they might as well being saying "look, I'm doing drugs!" and when someone dies they might as well be saying "look, I'm dead!" The gore is good, though. Probably the best gore out of both series. Blood literally flies at the screen. It gets really gory once Freddy and Jason fight at the end.

Now there's the acting. Horror movie actors have been getting worse and worse. Whatever happened to subtlety? Monica Keena, who plays Lori is so profoundly horrible in this that it made me not like the movie as much. She is so whiny through the entire movie, no wonder Freddy kept calling her "bitch" over and over. Even Robert Englund is at his worst as Freddy. With the exception of New Nightmare, each time Robert Englund plays Freddy he gets cheesier and cheesier. Of course this movie's ridiculous plot doesn't help either. Then there's Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child fame. I thought she was going to be horrible, like every other music star that decides to do a horror flick, but surprisingly she wasn't that bad. Maybe even the best actress in the whole movie. She just played it real, and she really has a great scene at the end where she is making fun of Freddy.

Another thing that bugged me where the special effects. In all the other movies there where good physical effects, make-up effects, and camera trickery. Freddy Vs. Jason is just plain lazy. The only reason to see it is the end battle. I really think Ronny Yu was a bad choice to direct this movie. He's mastered the gore, in-jokes, and humour of horror movies but when it comes to actual horror, he's clueless.

But like Bride Of Chucky (which Yu also directed), this is just an unexplainable guilty pleasure. It was mindless fun. I guess it was fun to turn my brain off for 90 minutes, even though that was hard to do since I actually respected some of the other movies. This movie I have no respect for.

All in all, this is exactly what you could expect from a cheesy concept like Freddy and Jason doing battle against each other. Yes, it could have been better but it far more easily could have been a lot worse, so I give them credit for that. Hardcore fans will love it.

My rating: 6/10