IMDb > Freak Out (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Freak Out More at IMDbPro »

Too funny

Author: petalofpower from New York, United States
3 April 2006

An export-worthy British production that has it all. A parodic, slasher flick, Freak Out is a bum load of dirty comedy with doses of gore, death, destruction, mayhem, lunacy, and true love. And who can overlook the homage to Dallas and Queen?

Merv, the geekish psycho thriller fan, and his menacing best friend Onkey, are alluring with their antics and sensibility towards the killer. The killer, clad in an orange jumpsuit and a hockey mask, wields his spatula, speaks with a lisp, and is hilarious! Did I mention this vegetarian has sexy legs?

My favorite parts are of Merv in the shower and Merv at his interview.

A horror spoof for OUR generation,I'll bring the spatula

Author: movieman_kev from United States
7 June 2006

Marv, a horror movie loving nerd and his somehow geekier best friend Onkey decide to help a hapless and downright sad wanna be serial killer in order for this pathetic fruity lil' escaped mental patient to be transformed into a manly, well thats not the right word... ruthless brutal killing machine so that he can take revenge on the humiliation he had in school thirteen years back. So many nods to classic horror films, so many cheap sight gags, so many gay jokes. This little independent film from the UK manages to be better than all 4 "Scary Movie" films combined and then some. It was a real treat indeed. The humor is hardly brilliant or mature, yet the film is just so damn fun. And you WILL find yourself laughing out loud quite a few times. Kudos to Chistian James, Dan Palmer, and everyone else involved in this insane hilarity.

My Grade: B+

I'm Jools and I'm FREAK-ed OUT!

Author: joolsmustard from United Kingdom
23 March 2006

I may have a funny surname (and some say I have a dumb Christian name) but I'm pretty serious when it comes to movies especially comedies. So, imagine my surprise when I caught this movie at a festival on the off-chance. I thought it would be a load of rubbish. I couldn't really care that much about the fact it has no budget behind it and no stars in it - did it entertain me - that's all that matters. Well, it did. Yeah, it's dirt cheap and no frills but still about 1000 times funnier that a load of the sub-standard 'funnies' Hollywood (and dare I say it, Britain-wood) churn out. It's silly, immature, dumb, strangely engaging - worth a good look. Can't wait to see the DVD with all those lovely extras.

Freak Out freaked me out...but in a good way!

Author: tiptoptap from United Kingdom
2 March 2006

I'm not really a big horror fan but I do like my comedy. When I heard about Freak Out, visited the website, saw the trailer etc I got the impression it was gonna be more laughs than senseless butchering and blood. I was right too! This movie is so much fun. If you've seen about two horror movies in your life you'll enjoy it and if you've seen about 1000 horror movies there's tonnes of nods and winks to famous horrors in there (so the person I watched it with told me). I caught a screening of it late last year at a small fest. It is low-budget but better low-budget and actually funny than high budget and absolute trash. I've been reading word on the DVD that will be coming out. That will be a must buy for me...I'm so curious to see how they made it. Recommended.

There's a plumb bob in my pants

Author: bad_roo from United Kingdom
18 August 2006

There aren't too many slasher movies I enjoy. Striking a balance between too childish and too wrapped up in your own irony is a tough gig and I think Freak Out just sails wide of the bullseye. That said, it's a very respectable effort for something created with such a small budget over such a large time frame and hints that there is some real writing and editing talent waiting for a better-funded opportunity to present itself.

I would have liked to have seen more tits and the odd clunge shot thrown in, if only in the bonus features as this would have given the film a higher mark when it comes to production values.

Low-budget movie that hits the mark

Author: haldanemcfall from Oxford, England
31 May 2004

I saw this movie when it was screened at Oxford University yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised. Freak Out kicks off with a black and white sequence of a kid being bullied at his primary school, who then swears he will return in 13 years are wreak his revenge... well, some unexpected events occur which prevent him from doing that, so when he turns up at Merv's house - Merv and his wacky friend Onkey decide to train him into a real serial killer using their incredible knowledge of horror movies.

This movie has some really funny moments, and there are times when you forget that it was made for only £30,000. Obviously, there are times when you don't, but if you go into this accepting that it was made by college students for college students, I think you'll enjoy it.

My favourite thing about Freak Out was all the movie references and quotes they spread through it. Overall Freak Out is a fun movie that could become a cult classic. I gave it 9/10.

I have no idea what possessed me...

Author: FirecrackerLover from United Kingdom
2 November 2007

...to watch this movie. Well to start watching this movie anyway, I couldn't bear more than 20 Min's. Really was the biggest pile of sweaty sack to be given the title of a "movie" I know it's supposed to be a spoof but it's just not in anyway funny, it's shockingly childish. The acting is not even worthy of a children's TV programme. For the majority of the

20 Min's my boyfriend and I just stared at each other in disbelief that some complete twot agreed to fund this! Please save yourself the time. Unless you are 10 years old or younger, then you might find yourself mildly entertained!

Makes me want to make a film again

Author: TheGOLDENWALRUS from United States
12 October 2007

Man was I pleasantly surprised but this extremely low budget film that is probably a 100 times more low budget than Pi. For the money they had, the film came out great and even some of the acting performances were good.

Though the plot/storyline was stupid, the humor was great! My favorite part was when Merv ( James Heathcote) was getting interviewed and the boss handed him a three question survey on recent jobs and gave Merv 5 hours to complete it. I laughed very hard and I just loved the humor throughout the film. The horror was comical and the blood looked very fake but who cares, this film just relied on its humor and was successful. If you liked Shaun of the Dead or Monty Python mixed in with a very low budget, than this should appeal to you. It was a pleasant surprise!

I am like so freaked out right now!

Author: anilvij (anilvij@hotmail.com) from Southampton, England
29 February 2004

Wow. This is the first indie movie I've ever seen, so I didn't know what to expect, but wow. This is one crazy ride of a movie. Some bits are absolutely hysterical, some just plain weird, some unneccesary. The plot is bizarre, production values as low as you'd expect (but creatively used!). On the whole, I'd give it about 7.5, because of the extent to which it made me laugh out loud.. not a lot of films can do that really. Anyway, if they tidied it up, trimmed the fat, I'm sure it would appeal to many. You just have to forget about things like logic.. who needs that anyway! One thing's for sure though, this film is about 4 million times more funny than Johnny English!

The shower scene is a must see!!!

Author: webd_sine from Bournemouth UK
8 July 2004

If you like black slapstick humour this is the movie for you. With this being the first full length feature film for most of the actors and crew, the rating I give reflects the result of the efforts put into the project.

I happened to get a screening before general release and was pleasantly surprised by the professional approach that the film was presented. Oscar bound - no, but a great laugh - definitely yes!!!!

Heathcote is a born actor and is far from shy to get it all hang out, in, what must be, the most talked about shower scene since Psycho!!! Great movie on a tight budget full of gags. Movie stars in the making. Great score too :-)

PS: word on the grape vine is that there a DVD version in the pipeline.