IMDb > "Beyblade" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Bakuten shoot beyblade"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Beyblade" More at IMDbPro »"Bakuten shoot beyblade" (original title)

Basic plot, my opinion

Author: quatre_001 (quatre_001@yahoo.com)
13 December 2003

I've only seen the dub version of Beyblade, and I rather like it. The premise is original, the characters are well-developed, and it's not completely PWP-ish. PWP means "Plot? What Plot?"

The basic story for the first season is the Bladebreakers (Tyson, Max, Ray, Kai, and Kenny) are trying to win the Beyblade world championships. While it may seem simple, it truly isn't. In Asia, the 'breakers meet some of Ray's old acquaintances and Ray must convince them that he didn't abandon his home. In America, Max finds that his mother is sponsoring another team and tensions arise from that. And in Europe, the 'breakers are stranded and have to make their way to Russia all alone, and they meet the Dark Bladers along the way. The Dark Bladers seek to steal the 'breakers' bit beasts (animal spirits trapped within the Beyblade). And in Russia, with the Dark Bladers still after them, the 'breakers learn that Kai's grandfather is seeking to take over the world by stealing other bladers' bit beasts! Ray ends up in the hospital, and Kai turns traitor for a while! The Russian Tournament turns into more than just a game!

The second season, V-Force, begins with the 'breakers having split up. Kai is going to boarding school, Max is in America, and Ray went home to China. Then mystery bladers show up, and then it seems that everyone wants the 'breakers' bit beasts! The only tournament so far wasn't a real tournament, but an evil organization pitting the 'breakers against a team of its own. This season, the animation style is different, making the 'breakers look younger than in the first season.

I haven't seen the original Japanese version, but I suspect that it's better than the dub, seeing as the producers may have cut out "inappropriate" scenes and/or ideas.

I really like Beyblade and would recommend it to others as a good anime. It's as good as Gundam Wing or Rurouni Kenshin, in its own way.

My favorite character: Kai

My least favorite character: Hilary, because I don't know what her purpose in the series is.

Nice anime

Author: blue_buttons from Singapore
20 October 2003

This show's about a team called the Bladebreakers and how they go round the world, fighting in tournaments. It brings out the importance of team spirit. Pretty much a kiddy and anime-crazed-teens show.

I don't watch anime, except for this, that is. This show doesn't suck, honestly, don't just go watch a few episodes and decide how 'good' it is.

It has a good english voice over team, and the characters got their own distinct personalities. You can tell the different traits between everyone, that is how I find Kai, the introvert so interesting.

There may be some boring episodes, but other than that, I like it. I watch it for Kai!

A reasonable Show

Author: chrisrulz555 from New Zealand
11 July 2006

I love English dubbed anime. I know a lot of people say its bad and the Japanese version is far superior but its good how they change the show to suit our culture, making it easier for children (their main audience) to understand. The other review says its repetitive but what sport isn't? This was as big as Pokemon and Dragon ball Z at my school, everyone loved it. People say it was only to sell toys, well it did that and it did it good. What kid doesn't want to be a part of something that can save the world like in a TV show. The people who say it isn't very good are usually older people who come across the show while channel surfing, the show isn't aimed at you so its not fair to hate it.

Good series but has some flaws

Author: hmm_ from United States
15 September 2002

"Beyblade" is about a kid named Tyson and his friends who go/travel around battling others with their beyblades (a metallic top-like thing). That's what this series is mostly about and that's it's flaw, that and the fact that there was never exactly a clear explanation of what a "bit beast" was/came from etc. However if you look past those, it's a good series with excellent animation and original music. They should focus on more than just beyblade battling and practicing though.

Also, I see all of these toys being sold related to this series. I hope this is not just a big advertisement to sell toys (no big surprise if so, wasn't the first time _that's_ happened!).

I wonder how long they can keep this going...

Great fun, but a bit disjointed

Author: smetin from United Kingdom
11 May 2017

OK, so I am 25 years old and have decided to watch a number of TV shows from my youth. I found my old Beyblades and was inspired to watch the original series from beginning to end. I was concerned that the goggles of nostalgia would lead me to being disappointed watching it now. However, I was wrong and truly enjoyed watching this original series.

The concept of Beyblades is quite simple. Spinning tops fighting in a stadium for sport. Along with that there are strong overriding themes of family, friendship and teamwork. It is cheesy at times but still enjoyable. Interweaved with this are the negative themes of deceit, cheating and betrayal. It works well in the context of the series, although it was sometimes slightly too predictable as to the outcome.

In series 1, Beyblades are suggested to be the main players in a Beyblade battle. Makes sense, right? The bitbeasts were suggested to contribute special attacks and were connected to their player. Not all Beybladers had a bitbeast, so it would make sense that Beyblades themselves were the workhorses that drove a battle. However, in series 2 the concept shifted quite dramatically. In this case, a Beyblade battle was actually just a battle between bitbeasts and the Beyblades merely mirrored what was going on as the bitbeasts waged war on each other. This made slightly less sense since not all players had bitbeasts. It was also very different to how we were made to understand Beyblades in series 1. Series 3 brought a middle ground, which I believe worked best. Gone was the major focus of bitbeast battles and a new concept of Beybladers having a special link with their Beyblade. The Beyblade could be considered "possessed" by their bitbeast and the main focus of battle was now blade- on-blade, rather than beast-on-beast hologram battles.

The animation quality in series 1 was representative of the time, being quite unrefined and slightly messy at times. The Beyblades in battle lacked detail. This all changed in series 2 and 3, where the animation quality was a lot crisper and the Beyblades looked as they did if you bought them in stores. The issue I had was in series 2 where the main characters went from looking like teenagers to more like pre-teens. This was rectified in series 3 and they looked their age and had the superior animation quality.

Finally I just want to touch on the stories themselves. Series 1 was quite simple since it wanted to set the premise of Beyblades. It revolved around various championship battles and the final arc brought an interesting twist. Series 2 was quite different and I think they tried to hard to make a story. It felt quite disjointed and the actual reasoning behind the ancient origins of bitbeasts was poorly explained in my opinion. It presented a great opportunity to do what they did in the final series of Yu-Gi-Oh! to explain where the monsters came from. Series 3 went back to much of what series 1 brought and I honestly thought it was the strongest series of the three.

All in all, I recommend you watch the original series of Beyblades. If I were to rank them, I would make it 3 > 1 > 2. If you had to miss a series, I would say series 2 could be missed. However, none of them were really 'bad', it is just that some were slightly confused and poorly conceived. What I can say is that nostalgia did not blind me, Beyblades are still great fun!

Shows

Author: misty6767
3 July 2003

I haven't seen the movie but i have seen a few shows from the series. The plot is pretty childish and the animation is ok but in a way, its a show about friendship and trust. Some of the characters are sappy *cough* Tyson *cough* but I do have a strange liking to odd characters. My personal favourite character is Kai for being a bit different (okay very different) from the others and I like his sarcasm. Anyways I hope that the movie is good and I hope they continue the series!

Let it rip!

This cartoon is dumb

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
18 June 2010

Very stupid anime series made only with the purpose to sell toys to the children, just like "Pokemon" and "Yu-gi-oh". Basically it's about a group of children that have some mechanic spinning top that have powers of some sort, but this show is quite boring to watch, because all the episodes are about how those kids keep battling with their spinning tops and talking about how powerful they are. As you see, the plot is dumb and basic, and the character design is pretty ugly. The animation is mediocre at best, and the music is terrible as well: All the songs are dumb as the show and all talk about the power of the spinning tops.

This show is awful. I don't recommend it to anyone. There are much better show for children to watch this drivel.

Awesome!

Author: YGG1000 from USA
19 June 2005

The premise of the show isn't promising. Kids playing with tops hardly sounds like an interesting show, and had me doubting at first. I watched it, though, and fell in love! The show isn't all about the beyblade battles (even though the battles are very well done), a lot of it is the character growth and how the team of the 'Bladebreakers' (main team) get to know and get along with each other.

Good point #1: Bey battles Seriously, if someone told you that you should watch a show about battling tops, you would probably laugh. The makers of Beyblade did a great job of making this questionably stupid sounding sport into a very exciting ordeal. The battles are very fun to watch especially with the addition of bitbeasts (animals trapped inside the beyblades) and the fun dialogue that goes on with each battle.

Good point #2: Music All of the music is extreemly original and fun. 'Nuff said.

Good and Biggest point #3: Characters! The true reason I watch beyblade is for the character interaction. The show fills all of the stereo-typical molds of characters every anime needs almost to a point. Tyson is the loud-mouthed, always hungry, fiery one of the group. Max is the kind, bright and bubbly one of the group. Rei is the calm, cool, and collected guy of the group. And Kai is the regular anti social jack@$$ that every show needs. Despite this, each character has their own personality; these personalities often clash to create wonderful comedy or genuine drama. The most often of fights being between Tyson and Kai, as Tyson often does not think and Kai is balantly hostile sometimes and speaks his harsh mind without conviction.

All in all, I would give this series two thumbs up! If you haven't seen it yet, I must suggest. Watch the first and the third seasons. SKIP THE SECOND ONE. the second series was painful to watch. (I mean horrible!)

If you think that because you are older that you wont like the show, you're wrong! I'm fourteen and still enjoy the show! (Besides, the only reason I REALLY watch it is to see Kai >.< He's so awesome!!!)

Awesome!!!!!

Author: deepthinker566 from Wheeling, WV, USA
21 November 2008

If you were thinking about an anime so awesome, then this is for you, Beyblade. An animated tale about four boys named Tyson, Max, Ray and Kai, and one of them named Tyson (in the English anime) proving to be the best beyblader around. I've got the toys, DVDs, video games, and episodes on YouTube. The whole review I'm doing is based on the American Beyblade, not the Japanese one. I've never seen the Japanese version, but its a great show.

Beyblade has three seasons and That was the first season of Beyblade, Now let's move on to Season 2 which is "Beyblade V-Force", where the series got a little different, Characters clothing changed, their eyes look different, the tops are in a three-dimensional upgrade, A different story, added some new characters to the series (Team Psykick- Jim, Goki, Kane, Salima. and Team Saint Shields- Dunga, Joseph, Mariam, and Ozuma) Overall, V-Force is amazing. 10/10

Beyblade G-Revolution is the final season of the series. Season 3 features the same CGI tops, but with some improvement and the same characters and the new characters like (Raul, Julia, Brooklyn, Daichi, Mathilda, etc) and a different story. Overall, G-Revolution is awesome. 10/10.

I've have the video games of Beyblade on the PS, and GC.

Beyblade (PS)

Comment: "It's pretty fun", Bottom line: enjoyable, The reason I did that because I cannot enter GameSpot or IGN login.

Beyblade for the Playstation is little difficult to control the beyblade, but you can get a good hit on them. Game features all the characters from the Bladebreakers and some characters are in solo are (Micheal, Robert, Lee, Tala) Beyblade (PS): 7.2/10

Beyblade V-Force Super Tournament Battle (GC)

Comment: "If you like Beyblade, then this is the game for you!" Bottom line: Awesome. (in my opinion)

Beyblade for the Nintendo Gamecube is the best Beyblade game you can find anywhere in the USA, The game play is just awesome. It's the improvement to the Playstation game, but with new graphics and cut scenes, and it's fully customizable, I have the game so, I recommend to buying this game, it is Awesome! I've read some of the reviews online for this game, and I was very disappointed. IGN gave this game a 2.5/10, maybe for its game play, but the game play for me, it was great. And no, it is NOT a boring piece of crap game. A lot of people on GameSpot.com thinks this game is really bad, Well...it's not!!!!!! Not boring at all!!! Beyblade V-Force Super Tournament Battle: 10/10

So anyway, Beyblade is another amazing anime with some new twists.

Beyblade is the greatest show ever made. Not some Spongebob crap here!!

All that non stop action, fun, and excitement that you can enjoy.

Both V-Force and G-Revolution are pretty awesome expansions to the series.

I am a beyblade fan so, I like this show, the video games, and toys and everything. Good stuff. Way better than Spongebob Squarepants.

I recommend to watch this show, you'll be happy.

BEYBLADE: 10 stars

Didn't Like it at first but then I changed my mind

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
2 June 2005

At first when one of my friends told me that this series wasn't good I took his word for it until I watched the show and gave it a chance and I like it. I only watch the cartoon series, Beyblade, I don't collect any of the toys or something like that. The show is about a team of beybladers called the Bladebreakers, which is lead my Tyson (who is the main character). The other characters on the Bladebreakers are Daichi (didn't come until Season 3), Max, Ray and Kai and there is Kenny who is the teams expert on fixing beyblades, beyblade stats and other things related to the sport. The Bladebreakers team travels around to battle other teams and pretty much save the world. The cool part about the beyblade is the bit-beasts! My favorite bit-beasts are Dragoon, Dranzer, Driger and Draciel! My favorite characters are Tyson, Kai, Max and Ray. This show premiered on ABC Family back in July 2002 and each season to this show has a different title; Season 1 was called Beyblade, Season 2 was called Beyblade: V-Force and Season 3 was called Beyblade: G-Revolution! This show has cool battles, cool music during the battles and I like the fact that when the beyblades are in play and spinning they are computer animated which I found cool! You might like this series if you like Digimon, Medabots and some other good anime shows. LET IT RIP!