IMDb > "The Anna Nicole Show" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Anna Nicole Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Anna Nicole Show" More at IMDbPro »

Actually, this is kinda sad

Author: elizabethbennett from United States
10 December 2002

I have seen this show a couple of times. To be honest, I feel kind of sorry for this lady. For starters, she is not very bright at all, I get that impression. Second, I wonder if she realizes that people are actually laughing AT HER and not WITH HER. Third, she really has no purpose in life except to eat, sleep, shop and really do nothing. I know a lot of people who would kill for this lifestyle but in my opinion, not having a purpose in life would make me feel pretty useless. I do not find humor in this show or in her at all. I just feel sorry for her....it is like she has no real purpose in life at all.

My night with Anna Nicole

Author: movieman_kev from United States
28 March 2004

I recently took a bet from a friend that I couldn't watch the first season DVD set of The Anna Nicole Show all in one night. The bad news is I won this bet. I don't enjoy watching a mentally unstable or heavily medicated woman go about her life. I didn't enjoy her trip to Chipendale's. Nor her goin to see "Puppetry of the Penis". I could've lived without seeing Anna's toothless white trash cousin flashing multiple times AND I had no desire to see Margerette Cho make out with Anna. (although I always had Cho pegged as being like that). Oh did I mention that the DVDs are uncensored, so all of the above possibly scarred me for life. Also on the commentary for the Christmas special Anna herself says some of it is faked by the E! crew. My Grade: F

Is she really as "stupid" as you guys think?

Author: jthomas-63 from United States
12 September 2006

Most people have commented on Anna Nichol's intelligence and her weight, but what I don't understand is, most of these people probably aren't making the money she is. She couldn't be that dumb. How much do you guy's make every year? Does each one of you have perfect bodies? Could any one of you make as much money as she does without even being "dumb" or "overweight"? If she has these two problems and still can be successful, then who's really stupid. Give her a break...she made a comeback and there's enough money in the world to go around. I believe the point of her show was to make people interested enough to watch, which you all did. That, my dear friends, was the reason they aired the show and you all fell for it. Everything is a reality show now, whether good or bad. I'm sure no one held a gun to your head and made you watch it. The fact that you decided to watch her show is on you. She's making more money than you'll ever see in your lifetime.....sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

It's supposed to be funny... it just isn't.

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
16 August 2004

Network: E!; Genre: reality, documentary, comedy; Content Rating: TV-14 (for adult content); Classification: Contemporary (Star range: 1 - 4);

Season Reviewed: Season 1+

Wouldn't you know that E!: Entertainment Television was a cable channel that will look at the phenomenal success of the first season of 'The Osbournes' and have absolutely no idea what they are seeing. In trying to create their own version of the monster hit MTV docu-comedy, 'The Anna Nicole Show' mis-reads everything that is so engaging and likable about the Osbourne family. Based on the chosen subject of this show, they think we like Ozzy because he slurs his words unintelligibly or that we like Sharon because she's a spoiled Beverly Hills transplant. That, a few extra pounds and a trailer park attitude is pretty much all you'll find in Anna Nicole Smith - who E! wants to position as America's favorite strung-out, gold-digging over-grown baby.

Possessing not one shred of the wit, irony and evident unconditional love of 'Osbournes', 'Nicole' wants us to arrogantly mock Smith and feel better about ourselves watching her 1) house shopping while trying to find a bathtub she can fit in (no joke) 2) humiliating her son over the telephone and on theme park trips 3) being wrangled around by her handlers and specifically lawyer Howard K. Stern (an obvious tie-in in the making for E!) 4) giving us a fleeting but nonetheless traumatizing glimpse into her masturbation habits and 5) babying her dog Sugar Pie. That's it. That's the show people. If it sounds like your kind of television than you'll be in hog heaven, but you might feel awful in the morning.

This isn't hip it's just sad. I don't need my TV classy. I'm not going to call this exploitative or condemn people who want to make fun of what a pathetic individual Anna Nicole Smith has let herself become. I just need these type of shows to be funny, which this isn't. The problem with this kind of extreme television is that the results are just as extreme - it can be terrific (as evident by the perfect contemporary 4 star score I gave to 'The Osbournes: Season 1'), but when it falls it falls hard and lands flat on it's face. A miserable failure.

This show could have been a rich, stupidly funny satire of a celebrity who has outlived Hollywood's usefulness of her, but would Hollywood-worshiping E! really ever go for something like that? They just want this to be a drive-by car-wreck. It's about that much fun. "Anna" is nearly un-watchable, network constructed dreck, dragging not just through the episode, but from commercial break to commercial break. It's got a cute animated intro, I'll give it that. Reminds me of the 2nd season 'Strangers With Candy' intro. I'm sure that's not what E! was going for.

½

Spam For Television

Author: tiekbane from Champaign, IL
30 September 2002

After watching this show, I feel yucky. Anna Nicole Smith is one of the most repellent 'personalities' to ooze across the TV screen in this generation. I use the term 'personality' liberally. She, nor her entourage possess even a modicum of insight, tenderness, humor or drama. A typical day in the life of Anna Nicole (and by proxy, a typical show) consists of people eating (sometimes in contests) , decorating her house, watching TV, shopping, driving around, going to the bathroom, throwing temper tantrums, sneering in a barely coherent girlish voice that sounds like she's perpetually drunk and consorting with various freaks and lowlifes. Sounds like anybodies boring life (save for the freaks and lowlifes perhaps...) but the producers of this show seem to think because Anna Nicole is super rich, it makes for an interesting TV show. Actually, it looks like the producers realized they had a problem so to enliven things, they occasionally dress her up in skin tight clothes that accentuates her rotund (and growing) physique, especially her rhino-sized butt. She eats so much food on this show that the viewer can actually see her putting on weight over the course of a few episodes.

Watch one episode. Anything more is gluttony.

Guilty Pleasure = Not a compliment

Author: Andy from Maine
8 November 2002

You know, it's a really a sign of the times when we have sunk so low that we give someone as vapid and mentally vacant as Anna Nicole her own "reality" TV show. In the wake of the Osbournes, every network is trying to cash in, and soon we will have equally diminutive shows following the lives of Tommy Lee and Puff Daddy. The Osbournes makes a legend look like a fool, but the Anna Nicole show just showcases a fool and snickers at her behind her back. I watched one episode of this show and it was like torture, she is so annoying to listen to! And she talks to her son like a boyfriend, it was gross ("OK honey, now tell me you love me"). It's pretty sad when your own network labels you as a guilty pleasure. Which basically means that some idiot, who obviously got fired, at E! Entertainment gave the go-ahead for this show, and trying to cover up for his mistake, they said "Well, we can call it a guilty pleasure and get away with it." No pleasure at all.

Terrible

Author: Mac-59 from Oslo, Norway
6 December 2002

This section of the review is written for Anna:

Hi Anna. I wanted to like this Anna, I did. I watch it. But I is bored. You do nothing funny. You silly. You yell. And you dumb-dumb. Please stop this Anna. My eyes hurt like boo boo when I see you. I go watch Osbournes instead...

For the IMDb readers:

I can understand the logic: put a famous person (or family) in the limelight and rake in the bucks. It worked with the Osbournes so what went wrong here? ANNA NICHOL SMITH went wrong. So what if she is fat and retarded, she's famous right? It's gotta work right? Wrongo! If all it took was stupidity and obesity, I would be doing shows on about have the people I know. The problem is: She is boring, just like half the people I know.

Anna is also on drugs most of the time, which takes her from the blond airhead level of intelligence to the downright retarded one. But hey! Ozzy seems like he's on drugs ALL the time too (even though he isn't) but he has wit and charm and the ability to deliver some terrific one-liners. Anna doesn't. Anna is just dull and pathetic. If you don't believe me, go watch for yourself.

Am I the only person who likes this?

Author: Joseph Brando from NJ, USA
7 October 2002

I'm not sure why I enjoy this, because as other people have said, there certainly are grosser and more outlandish things on TV. These shows really are about nothing. One is about Anna looking for a house. Period. Another is about Anna having an eating contest with her attorney. Period. Another is about Anna going for a driving test. Period. And of course all have a sub-plot involving flambouyant Bobby Trendy decorating her house (which never seems to get done). I guess it all boils down to the fact that it is just amazing to watch someone who was so glamorous, sexy and unattainable turn into someone who doesn't care that she has crawled under a table and gotten her butt stuck between two legs! Her speech is almost always slurred so badly that it is very hard to believe she is not on pain killers or muscle relaxers and booze most of the time. But I love her!! I think her "Screw it" attitude is great! She just does not seem to care about anything! She knows there are cameras following her around at all times but thinks nothing of chowing down on Doritos and Stawberry Quik! I really feel sorry for her 2 assistants, Howard and Kim, who come across as being very desperate and secretly in love with her - both putting up with her childish temper tantrums. In one episode, Anna threw a fit and cursed out Kim because they were playing "Punch-Buggy" and Anna was insisting that the "new Volkswagon Beetles" do not count while Kim said that they did. So Anna got really angry - not "kidding around angry" but cursing her out and truly being p***ed off!! I guess Kim really doesn't have any other choice than to put up with it since she has Anna's face tattooed all over her body. Regardless of how heavy she is though, Anna still has a beautiful face, probably one of the most beautiful faces in the world. And it is refreshing to see a beautiful celebrity truly being herself, no matter how stupid and childish, rather than taking on the same boring mundane personality that is expected of them and that most other celebrities take.

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING - BORING

Author: ATWOOD L. MASON (MASONALM@AOL.COM) from LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
30 November 2002

Like many people, I was originally sucked in by the tremendous "hype" before the series aired. I watch every show during the season, and now I ask myself, WHY? Anna Nicole Smith is one of the most beautiful women in the world, but if this show really reflects her day to day life, I think she is in big trouble. First, I think Children's Protective Services should investigate the manner in which her teen age child lives, seemingly without any adult supervision. At the beginning of each show, Anna, in a very clear and focused way, introduces the episode with a few words about it's content. For the remainder of the show, she acts as though she is under the influence of some mind altering drug, with her speech often slurred, and her inability to fully comprehend what is going on around her. Her two companions, (her lawyer, and her personal assistant) seem to function more as her "handlers" or "babysitters". They put up with her childish antics,yet there seems to be some type of romantic or sexual tension between them. Each show involves a series of daily events (looking for a house, looking for a personal chef, purchasing furniture, shopping for trashy lingerie, taking the driving test, going on a date. Anna often comes across as a shallow, mindless bimbo. The show does not really put her in a good light, but it's all for fun, and I guess that if you don't take it too seriously, there is some entertainment value to it. I guess a lot of people are interested in how the "other side" lives. I still think the world of Anna Nicole, but this show is not her best vehicle. Sorry Anna !

Horrible beyond mere understanding...so why do I watch it?

Author: perni from Owensboro, KY
11 November 2002

The first time I saw this show, my jaw dropped in horror. First of all, this woman is insane. Now I know the Osbournes are insane too, but come on! Anna Nicole acts like someone stole her frontal lobe and sold it on the black market. Everything that comes out of her pouty lips is this mentally disabled slur, and she always walks around with her belly all pooched out. Frankly, I don't know the rest of the people she hangs out with can stand her. There's her lawyer, who is WAY too normal for this show and basically has to grit his teeth when Anna goes all 5-year-old on him and starts throwing a fit. Then there is Anna's lesbian friend who is so obviously in love with the former model that she got the chick's face tatooed on her arm. Frankly, sistah, you could do much better for yourself. Anna also has this like 15-year-old son who is just so dorky I can't even look at the poor kid. He has these freaky braces and talks with a lisp (hey, just like mommy!), and again, how can he not be embarassed by his mother?! She acts wasted or stoned the entire time the cameras are on! Oh, and then there is the puppy that humps anything that moves...and anything that doesn't. Get that little mutt fixed, Anna! But what scares me is that just like the Osbournes, the bizarre factor of the show made me come back for seconds and thirds of this woman's congealed meatloaf. But after a few episodes I just gave up, deciding I would not buy into E!'s crass attempt at cashing in on the Ozzy audience. Besides, hasn't it been cancelled already? Oh well, here's to the Liza Minelli reality show! Oh, that was cancelled before it aired? Oh, well then, pooh. .5/4 stars