IMDb > True West (2002) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

True West (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Willis and Smith...WOW!

Author: Neal Thompson (red.lion2@gte.net) from Los Angeles
12 August 2002

I saw this play in New York with Sinise and Malkovich and was blown out of my seat. It was so good I didn't think I ever wanted to see anyone else in these roles. I was mistaken. Bruce Willis is truly a remarkable talent (as stated by Paul Newman). People who think he can only do 'hotshot' movies with chases and fights should check this out. Starting with an incredible script by Sam Shepard, Willis and Chad Smith chew the scenery with riveting dead-on performances. In the midst of this sometimes scary play about the relationship between brothers, you will also find yourself laughing till you cry. My only regret is, moments like this come along at rare moments. Probably because the general public has forgotten how to appreciate this kind of writing and acting, and has developed the Terminator mindset which precludes watching anything like this. What a shame. DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR... WATCH THIS MOVIE! And please, Bruce, please do more work like this. Don't cheat us out of your very wide range of talent.

True West

Author: livosi from United States
15 July 2006

Not only did I see the movie I saw the play in Hailey, Idaho. I enjoyed the play more than the movie and the movie was great. I have been to many plays, performed by many "name" actors. Many times I have been disappointed; left with the feeling that these people can't act without doing a "take" a number of times; also with the need for perfect camera angles. In a live performance you get one chance. I went to see "True West" with the same expectation, after all it was "Yipee-ki-yay" Bruce, but I was astonished. Bruce's portrayal of "Lee" was amazing. I forgot I was watching Bruce Willis the actor. I was watching the sometime funny, sometime violent, relationship between two very different brothers; Lee (Bruce Willis) and Austin (played perfectly by Chad Smith). Bruce Willis has an acting range that I believe is not acknowledged nor appreciated by the public. I know; I was one of them.

Truly an opportunity for good theater

Author: emanning9 from Northwest
15 August 2002

My wife and I were fortunate enough to see this at the Liberty Theater in Hailey before it was produced for Showtime. We had front row seats and were many times really nervous about all the flinging and flailing (especially the toast) on stage. Now, that's good theater. We also joined the Company of Fools as donors (Bruce Willis and Demi Moore are on board of directors) so they could continue the good work. The Showtime production does the play justice. It's almost as good as being there.