IMDb > K-9: P.I. (2002) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
K-9: P.I.

K-9: P.I. (V) More at IMDbPro »

Truly funny, even if the plot is full of holes.

Author: fiera121 from El Paso, Texas (USA)
28 September 2002

This film had me laughing out loud. No, it's not one of the all-time great dramas. In fact, the plot is weak, juvenile, and full of holes -- almost a parody of a real cop movie. But none of that matters because it's hysterical! Run to your local video store now, and rent it!

Slow-going

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
27 April 2008

Dooley (Jim Belushi) and his canine partner Jerry Lee are back for a third go-round in K9:PI. This time, they are battling thieves over some stolen computer chips in a plot so thin, it makes Belushi look extra fat. Also, Belushi is now retired from the police force and working as a private investigator, hence the title. The excitement and action and comedy of the first movie are long gone, replaced by endless flatulence and poo jokes. K9:PI is passable, but barely. The first half, about the chip robbery and Dooley accidentally getting involved, is more entertaining than the second half, during which Dooley "pimps" Jerry Lee in order to make some money when he finds his pension temporarily frozen. As this subplot drags on and on, the action really dies and barely picks up in time for the end. And I wasn't kidding about Belushi being out of shape in this. He looks terrible.

A really lazy sequel that doesn't offer much in the way of entertainment

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
29 March 2014

Det. Mike Dooley and his lovable companion (K-9) retire from the force. After a great party, Dooley notices some suspicious activity nearby, getting involved in a federal investigation accidentally. Dooley sets up his own P.I business to solve the mystery, when a mysterious woman asks for his help, regarding the disappearance of her husband. The first movie was innocuous for what it was. Even the second sequel had a little bit of merit to it, though a sequel was pushing it. The premise is a one-trick pony, one that shouldn't have had two STV sequels. James Belushi had fame in the late 80's, early 90's, a hit TV show called "According to Jim" . This movie is desperate for laughs, resorting to cheap gags with flatulence and poop. None of it works, except for one admittedly amusing scene where Dooley's dog is having trouble going to the bathroom. Dooley uses beans, cabbage, prunes, curry powder, wieners, and mineral oil to use as a mix for pizza. If that's not enough, there is plenty of failed comedy with dog auditions. The biggest problem with this movie is the lack of an interesting plot or any intriguing characters. This movie relies heavily on Belushi, and he's not up to the daunting task. His clown routine doesn't do much for the film, nor does Belushi seem all that interested in trying. He's overweight and a bit daft. I've always liked Belushi, but he was terrible in this movie. I'm guessing he needed a quick paycheck. They do a hapless romance that has little care or thought into it as well. Even the dog isn't all that great

If you're gonna watch any movie in this pointless trilogy, watch the first movie. This movie wasn't intolerable by any means, but it gave me a big case of the blah's. It's lazy, unfunny, and silly.

Jerry Lee

Author: kai ringler from United States
31 July 2013

Our favorite crime fighting duo is back for a third installment in the series, this time after leaving his retirement party, him and Jerry Lee are walking home when they stumble upon an upscale robbery involving electronic chips, they try to stop the robbery and are foiled somewhat by the crooks, and the FBI,, Jerry Lee has swallowed one of four computer chips,, and the other three don't work without the fourth,, so his ex -boss get's wind of things, and his pension is frozen,, so out of cash he decides to breed Jerry Lee for quick cash,, he then get's a Private Investigator's license to make ends meat,, he takes on a client who is very beautiful and the chase is on.. very funny movie without a lot of dog humor,, as well as the interactions between Jerry Lee and his owner,, not as good as the first two , but definitely worth a watch.

A good movie, but not fluent with previous movies

Author: Joshua Maguire from United States
13 February 2005

The movie is hilarious, but it doesn't go with the previous movies. What happened to the female detective from the previous movie, at the end, they were going out on a date, they should have incorporated that, and other such things from k-9, and k-911 into k-9 PI. Other wise, it was an excellent movie, and a great family film, it had me laughing from beginning to end. James Belushi is an excellent actor, and really brings the role of Detective Dolley to life.

If you buy, or rent any movie this year, you should definitely make it this one. This movie is definitely gets a vote of 9, out of 10. I would give it a ten, but the fact that it isn't fluent with the first two movies was quite upsetting.

A comedy with bite...

Author: theteeto from Baltimore
29 August 2002

I concur. This is the finest film about a dog cop I have ever seen (not counting Turner and Hooch, of course). Jim Bulishi shines in what is clearly his finest moment since Jingle All the Way. You really believe he is a cop with a dog for a sidekick...or is he really the dog's sidekick :) I found the female dog love interest to be a bit of a stretch. I mean, what could he see in that bitch? Anyways, great film all around, good times. Fun for the whole family, including Rover! 9/10

An enjoyable third outing

Author: wi_rcarlson from United States
3 August 2002

In this third K-9 adventure, Mike Dooley (James Belushi) and his four-legged partner Jerry Lee are at the end of their career with the police department and beginning a new one as private investigators. There are many humorous moments as our heroes trail some hi-tech thieves. The cop and dog pairing that made the first two films appealing is still fresh and the action keeps the pace up.

Schizo comedy

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
17 March 2010

Having seen all three of the movies in the series (all for free - thank goodness!), I am bewildered by the evidence being that this series was popular enough to spawn two sequels. It's more of the same for this second sequel, though the subplot about the dog's advancing age and the policewoman with a dog of her own from the previous movie are both not mentioned at any time here. Anyway, I don't think this entry in the series, like the previous part, has a potential audience. On one hand, there are infantile attempt at humor with stuff like dog flatulence, and on the other hand there are harsh violent sequences, as well as wink-wink sexual gags thrown in. So the movie is not safe for younger kids, and adults will feel their intelligence is being insulted. Making matters worse is that the main plot of the movie advances very slowly, throwing in a number of subplots that don't need to be there. There's no reason to watch this movie, even if you worked on it.

Ruff really ruff

Author: ed_two_o_nine from United Kingdom
2 February 2009

This is a pretty run of the mill family move that I am sure most children will enjoy but with really no that much to please any adults viewing the movie. The premise of the film is that Belushi's cop character takes his retirement but gets drawn into a case which results in him becoming a private investigator. The movie's plot is so obvious most of the kids will surely pick the ending before it happens. But additionally to that there seem to be story arcs and sub plots that are forgotten about as the movie progresses. This coupled with a sub plot where the titular K-9 gets pimped out by Belushi. One to be avoided I am afraid.

Enough funny, but totally unnecessary

Author: salciuco@inwind.it
7 March 2003

K9(1989) directed by Rod Daniel was a good movie, where a hard Miami cop coupled with a strange dog. The movie was supported from an exciting screenplay and the mix between action and comedy stay high all the time thanks to a great James Belushi in the lead role. After 14 years there are two sequel for the original movie: K9:11(1999) and this K9:P.I.(2002). Both of them useless, because every good points of the movie is lost, even the argument between the cop and his dog, that in the first movie were very hilarious and funny , are off and without energy. The story is totally absent, all of the movie based to the gags between the cop and the dog , that its are funny but too little for do the entirely movie on this. Because in this years the story of the dog cop have been exploit in every of his aspect and now is relegated for SitCom, TV series or actors beginners, not for a professional as James Belushi . In this new adventure the cop Dooley and his dog partner is ready to the retire, but they are involved in a case of steal a microchips, and till to the guilty going to discover the retired is frozen. The plot is totally undeveloped and it stay only a idea for all the movie, Belushi is off, but he heave not materials to work, and he seems only a caricature to the fascinating cop on first `K9'.Belushi is a great actor, his character in movies as `The Principal', `Dimenticare Palermo' or in comedy as `Taking care a business' and the nostalgic `Mr Destiny' were the work of a professional and good actor, but it's a real sin that you see spoiling this talent in this sequel for the video. Ultimately Belushi is relegated to the TV and video production, but I think that he heave the quality for back on the cinema, I hope that some good director succeeded to emphasize. Now Belushi is on the set to the movie `Easy Six', a independent production directed by Chris Iovenko where he play the role of Elvis Presley. It seem a good return, I good hope.