IMDb > Coraline (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Coraline

Coraline More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 29: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Feels very European, a bit 'tripy' in places.

Author: thekarmicnomad from United Kingdom
21 July 2012

It is impossible to avoid the Alice Through the looking glass comparison but this film does have its own direction.

I enjoyed this movie, although it is a bit of an oddity.

The film is quite long for an animation and can be quite dark in places. I don't know if this will unsettle smaller children (although I expect as I child I would have found buttons for eyes a lot less disturbing as I do as an adult) Its Subtle colours and lack of frantic action gives it a European feel. The score is mainly gentle piano pieces and some of the sets are satisfyingly creepy.

This is not a Disney movie no Elton John sound track or cloy characters. Some of the set pieces are very fanciful indeed.

Coraline deserves a sequel!

Author: monkeyboy12121-414-225890 from United Kingdom
5 July 2012

I really enjoyed this film and time and time again i come back to watch it because it is too entertaining. The voice acting, the animation, the music and the storyline is pretty much perfect.

The film is set where Coraline Jones manages to find a portal or a passage to the "other" world where people have buttons for eyes and her fantasies come true. Selick does a great job with the telling of this story and not once do i ever lose concentration from this film because every morsel of this film is good.

The intricate characters like Mr. Bobinsky, Ms Spink and Ms Forcible give the film a quirky tone but also makes the story interesting and not stale if we only had one character to focus on. I also have to say that the music in the film is brilliant and the animators of the film did a remarkable job.

One issue i did have with the film is that there wasn't a back story to how the other world came to be but i guess i am just being fussy because the film didn't really need any extra padding.

So go see this film, it deserves a watch, or maybe a few watches

Sweet Coraline

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
17 June 2012

In the wake of all the recent PIXAR family-friendly, uplifting animated entertainments, this was a refreshingly welcome alternative fairy-tale of an altogether darker hue. The eponymous heroine is a commonplace teenager, uprooted from friends of her own age, struggling to have her preoccupied parents pay her much notice. Worse, she has no pets, their new house is a cold, bare, uninteresting apartment in the middle of nowhere with only quirky neighbours, like the two middle-aged sisters and a Russian acrobat, all seeking an outlet or their "talents" in a carnival show or circus. Only a talkative young boy and his mysterious cat offer her any outlet for her wish for recognition and adventure, until, that is the boy brings her a doll which is her own image, only with buttons for eyes and she next stumbles across a secret door which provides her with a gateway to a brighter world where her "other" parents have more personality and more importantly time for her too. But things get stranger and darker with every midnight visit she makes to the "otherworld"...

Unlike other fairy stories, even the darker ones, this one takes frequent detours away from the narrative to introduce the supporting characters, usually in surreal situations. In this it chimes in with the unnatural but vivid world we enter in our dreams and nightmares. There are mixed-up elements present of classic stories gone by, most obviously "Alice In Wonderland", "The Wizard of Oz", the "Narnia" tales and others while the animation recalls the work of Terry Gilliam and artists like Salvador Dali and the darker imaginings of Van Gogh, but there's an originality at work too which is refreshing and entertaining.

The music too is original and sympathetic to the production and even if the story does end up at the required happy ending, it doesn't get there the most obvious way, taking in a Harry Potter type quest to get there.

The animation itself is excellent with many noteworthy sequences, transitions and backgrounds. Perhaps lacking a little of the wit and knowing humour of the best PIXAR films, this feature nevertheless shows that there is life in animation outside of Shrek, Toy Story et al.

Coraline

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
26 April 2012

I saw clips of this film during the time of its release, and I recognised the same style of stop motion animation from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, so I had to see this, from director Henry Selick (James and the Giant Peach). Basically Coraline Jones (Dakota Fanning) and her parents, mother Mel (Teri Hatcher) and father Charlie (John Hodgman), have moved from Pontiac, Michigan into a new three-apartment building in Ashland, Oregon called the Pink Palace, which is old and decaying. Also living in the building are retired actresses Misses Spink (Jennifer Saunders) and Forcible (Dawn French), and eccentric Russian acrobat Mr. Sergei Alexander Bobinsky (Ian McShane), but Coraline has left behind her best friends, and feels lonely, bored and ignored by her parents who do almost nothing but computer work. One day though while looking around, Coraline comes across a door covered up by wallpaper, and given the key she unlocks it and travels through the hidden passage, and on the other side is an alternative parallel world. In this world it seems almost exactly the same, but everything is much better in condition, and all the characters have with buttons for eyes, and of course her Other Mother and Other Father are much kinder and caring than the real world, it is like a dream world she has always wanted. Coraline goes through the hidden wall to have well made and delicious meals, have the Other Parents treat her like she wants to, and have some fun, but she can't convince her real parents that the place exists, only the building landlady's geeky grandson Wyborne 'Wybie' Lovat (Robert Bailey Jr.). Coraline knows that this world is not real, and soon there are signs that she is trying to be kept there by the her Other Parents, they invite her to stay and she refuses, and that is when danger comes in to play. They are trying to force her to stay so that can fulfil an evil plan, sew buttons onto her eyes, and turn her into one of them, trapping her forever. But with the help of her friend The Cat (Keith David), in between both worlds, Coraline is able to find her way out of the world, and rids herself of the key so she can never return and can feel fine about staying right where she is. The cast all suit their characters with their voices, especially Fanning as the curious and adventurous girl and Hatcher as both the good (well, regular) and bad mother, the story is full of both fun and peril in equal measure, and the both dark and colourful imagery and animation is near (a few tiny glitches) immaculate, there are some scenes possibly intense for children, but it is an animated fantasy for the whole family. It was nominated the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film of the Year, it was nominated the BAFTA for Best Animated Film, it won the BAFTA Children's Award for Best Feature Film, and it was nominated the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature Film. Very good!

Another gem from the director of 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'… I loved it!...

Author: Andy Steel
25 March 2012

I really enjoyed this film; it may be a bit quirky for some, but I really liked the animation and the storytelling. This, combined with some great characters, makes for a very pleasurable experience. I was trying to think what it reminded me of, and the only thing I could think of was 'Pans Labyrinth', but only in a very superficial way. If you liked 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' then I'm sure you'll love this!... Recommended.

My score: 8.5/10.

IMDb Score: 7.7/10 (based on 63,514 votes at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes 'Tomatometer' Score: 90/100 (based on 231 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes 'Audience' Score: 77/100 (based on 317,343 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.

amazing 3D

Author: jaemiewaters from United States
8 March 2012

the 3D in this movie will blow you away this is a great family movie for all ages i never saw a movie like this before i think you will enjoy this 3D movie that is incredible it is a must see movie for sure you want believe your eyes that is how good this movie is you have to see it to believe it this is one of the coolest 3D movies ever created well i think so and i hope you think the same thing this movie is scary funny sad and musical i never saw anything like this in my life it is out of this world amazing in 3D i never saw a 3D movie like this the 3D is sweet you just have to watch this movie in 3D it is one of the best 3D movies of all times there is no other movie that is like this i hope you enjoy this wonderful movie

Was The Other World a dream or reality?

Author: Amy Ross from United States
20 January 2012

I liked the character Coraline, and the film certainly is creative. Unfortunately, for me, the movie lost some punch because I could not tell if The Other World was intended to be Coraline's dreams or her reality with dangerous things in it. Since the movie is a fantasy, I don't care which. I just wish the storyteller had chosen one or the other. If the former (Coraline's dreams), then the ending is hard to swallow. If the latter (Coraline's dangerous reality), then the movie needed to be clearer about it. After all, many of her visits to the Other World started with her in bed, implying that The Other World was a dream. Did I miss something?

Behind the door

Author: Armand from Romania
12 January 2012

A new house. Parents - pray of career. A girl. And a doll. Few slices of adventures. And beautiful conclusion. A movie. Strange, creepy, interesting, lesson about childhood and its searches, friendship, price of desires and appearances. One of that films for kids who may be more than entertainment or pledge for good attitude, seed of dream or fairy tale. Smart and subtle, naive and precise, Coraline is ad usum delphini definition for the happiness and importance of family, borders of fiction and rules of reality, mixture from Grimm brothers and Pinocchio. A clever subtle story in which evil is more than seductive and the cat is precious friend.

Animation so polished it rivals computer-animated films

Author: robotbling from Canada
12 December 2011

(www.plasticpals.com) I'm a stop-motion animation aficionado, mainly thanks to the directorial talents of Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas, James & The Giant Peach) but for whatever reason I missed seeing Coraline when it was in theaters. I recently made up for that mistake by watching the Blu-ray release, and came away quite impressed. Coraline is based on a novel by acclaimed scribe Neil Gaiman, a kind of modern-day fairytale for kids who don't appreciate how good they've got things in life.

Coraline's family moves into an old house, and to kill the boredom of a workaholic mom and dad, she starts exploring its nooks and crannies. She soon notices what appears to be a doorway that's been wallpapered over, and immediately needs to know where it leads. She successfully nags her mom into excavating and unlocking the door, only to find it leads to a plain old brick wall.

Coraline-1smDisappointed but not dissuaded, she returns to the door after going to sleep one night and finds a secret passage way that opens into… the same old house. She soon discovers things aren't entirely the same in this alternate universe: her dad showers her with love and attention and her mom cooks and bakes delicious food just for her. Everything seems great except for one thing: they have buttons for eyes.

If it wasn't already, stop-motion has been raised to a high art with this film. The endless set details, the characters' elastic facial expressions, and the wondrous special effects are a testament to the medium's staying power. It's quite easy to forget you are watching something that had to be made by hand piece by piece. In one spectacular scene, a few dozen mice dance for our enjoyment, while an unseen animator is driven mad. So talented are the craftsmen and animators that one could quite easily assume it was entirely computer generated. Selick went to great lengths not to resort to digital effects; where (I assume) post production cleaned up wires or seams in the puppets' faces, the pain-staking work is completely transparent.

Untold hours of work are revealed in the special features, which show the process of creating effects like fog and fire (none of it CG), as well as the wonderfully robotic armatures (inner skeletons which give the puppets their stiffness). It also comes with four pairs of magenta/green 3D glasses for its 3D mode. The effect varies from decent to downright broken, and for my money the color desaturation that occurs makes the experience less enjoyable than without. Unfortunately the at-home 3D experience isn't the same as that in theaters where polarization creates the effect.

Thankfully Coraline doesn't fall into the same trap as the mediocre The Corpse Bride, which had stunning animation but a terrible story. The tale feels like a mix of Alice in Wonderland, Labyrinth, and Hansel and Gretel, but never feels tired or clichéd. And do take its PG-13 rating seriously, I imagine this is high-octane nightmare fuel for really young kids.

Dazzling, Frightening, And A Truly Amazing Film

Author: FilmFreak94 from United States
17 October 2011

Coraline is a stop motion animated movie based off the novel by the genius author, Neil Gaiman. Directed by Henry Selick(Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach) Coraline expands the story from the original book and makes it into it's own glorious movie.

Coraline Jones has just moved into a new house called the Pink Palace. The house is split into three ways; the main house, the attic, and the cellar. Coraline shares the house with her strange neighbors Mr. Bobinsky who is training a group of mice for a circus, and Ms. Spink and Forcible who were once great theater stars. Coraline's parents are making a catalog for a botanical magazine and are much too busy to satisfy Coraline's boredom. She befriends a neighbor boy, Whyborn(Whybie) Lovat whose grandmother owns the Pink Palace.

One night Coraline is awoken from her sleep by a mouse and is lured to a mysterious tiny door in the wall of her living room. Using a button shaped key, she opens the door and goes through a tunnel to a parallel world of her own. There she meets The Other Mother who looks the same as her regular mom but with buttons for eyes. The Other Mother makes fantastic food, and shows Coraline many wonderful things. Such as an actual mice circus from the Other Bobinsky, a show by the Other Ms. Forcible and Spink, and a magnificent garden tended by her Other Father. But everything is not as it seems. Coraline soon realizes the only way to stay in that world is to let the Other Mother sew buttons into her eyes. Soon Coraline discovers the true intent of the Other Mother and the once wonderful world becomes distorted and terrifying. Coraline needs to escape from The Other Mother and get back home to her real parents. If they're even still there.

Coraline is one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. It's dark and beautiful style amazes me every time. This whole thing was done by hand for many years and you can tell everyone put their heart and soul into it. The voice acting is also great. Dakota Fanning gives Coraline a spunky personality, and Teri Hatcher's voice performance made The Other Mother all the more horrifying. The rest of the cast is great as well with actors like John Hodgman, Ian McShane, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, and Keith David bringing life into their respective characters.

If you get the chance you should buy the 3D version. Unlike most films the 3D version was made before 3D TV's were available to the public and instead comes with regular red and blue 3D glasses. This makes the visuals feel a little weird at first but the 3D is some of the best I've seen. Overall, you owe it to yourself to watch Coraline. Either buy it from your local store or rent it from somewhere. It's an experience you will not soon forget.