Coraline (2009) Poster

(2009)

good
jrmgenius30 January 2018
Animation: 7/10 characters: 5/10 story: 7/10 moral: 6/10 world/setting: 6/10 soundtrack: 7/10 voice acting: 7/10 overall: 45/100
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A dark but captivating animation
Mihai Toma27 December 2017
A lonely girl by the name of Coraline, mostly ignored by her busy parents, finds a door in a wall which, at night, leads her to another world where she can have everything she wants. Furthermore, all people she knows from the real world have duplicates there, with buttons instead of eyes, which behave flawless when it comes to Coraline. As you would expect, what seems perfect is most likely not to be true, and the young girl is about to discover a dark secret which might affect the rest of her life.

It's a dark animation which presents a post-apocalyptical world in which a lonely and unhappy girl is tempted into a dream place which seems to fulfill her every wish. It's beautifully animated, well written, with unique characters and a very interesting plot. Unfortunately, it lacks in terms of action and to my disappointment, it features a highly anticipated and predictable finale which sorts everything out almost out of nowhere and at a blink of an eye. It could have been an extraordinary piece of animation, and partly it is, but falls a bit behind the masterpieces due to its unconvincing and rushed finale but also due to its lack of action.
Full Movie Review
vrg-6997213 December 2017
Coraline is a film about a girl who is out of place. She does not have any friends, all of her family and neighbors are dysfunctional, she has just moved into her new house, and she does not know what to do. With this as the basic plot, the movie could progress in any number of different directions, but it chooses the one of self-reflection, and does so by exposing the viewer to relationships in duality. Each separate relationship exposes a different flaw in what Coraline desires, and in doing so allows the viewer to reflect upon themselves. This subtle yet wholly enveloping theme of ideals paired with the quirky visual style creates an environment that feels tactile, odd, almost realistic, and yet fully and completely fiction. By utilizing interpersonal issues and the ideals created by them, Coraline simultaneously draws in an audience of those who relate to the protagonist, and allows them actualization and acceptance in their own interpersonal issues. In some music, there is a term called a "hook" which refers to a section of the song that draws in the listener. The point of it is; if they enjoy the hook, why not give the song a listen (as it generally just builds off of the notes in the hook itself)? The hook for Coraline would be the traditionally styled credits at the beginning of the movie. The credits themselves are not the focus here, even though that is the purpose of the section, rather, the animation is. The style itself is consistent in its creepiness, and will maintain this for the remainder of the film, yet exact and almost mesmerizing in its detail and realism. The thread moving seamlessly (pun intended) through the air as though it were an actual thread, ready to be tightly sewn into whatever needed sewing, the constant usage of sprawling, repeating patterns, and most significantly, the lofty and elegant movement of the horrifying fingers extending from the metal hand of the other mother. The way that this visual is presented-somewhat terrifying, yet beautiful and intricate-provides a perfect platform for the audience of somewhat disenfranchised teens, those who do not quite fit in, but are not outcasts either. In placing the credits at the beginning of the movie, the film is automatically set at a calmer and less cluttered place, where a quiet animation with some eerie yet pleasant instrumental music playing in the background sets the stage for a quaint home with a strange family and an inquisitive girl. Now, the bulk of this film does not highlight any astounding animating per say. There are some good bits, but that is not the focus. The focus here is, in one word, juxtaposition. It happens everywhere to everything and everyone. From the moment the movie begins you grasp that there will be another side to this story. Initially, there is a large highlight on dysfunctionality. Coraline lives with parents that care too little for their child as they are too focused on their work, who write a gardening catalog and do not even garden, and who live in a pink house on the top of the hill with two sets of old acting neighbors. Upstairs, there is Bobinsky, a man of comical nature who tries and fails to train mice in a circus. Bobinsky is a very old, wily, Russian acrobat. The bulk of his weight rests in his torso, and there is next to none in his arms and legs, giving him quite strange proportions. Bobinsky appears grimy, overly physically capable, blue, and slovenly. Now, spoiler alert, but there is another world that can be accessed through a door in Coraline's living room. This door leads to a world where her parents do as she asks and act perfectly nice, where all ideals and aspirations are met and go above and beyond the expectations. In this world, Bobinsky looks very fit, does not dress or act slovenly, has a circus of perfectly trained mice, and where he himself seems to look more natural. But, as it is later revealed, nobody in this world is actually real and they all are flawed to the utmost point. By juxtaposing the initial problems of Bobinsky and the other characters, then progressing to a point of ideals, then revealing those ideals were achieved through abhorrent means, and then shifting back to the initial problems, there is sort of a parabola where the viewer is able to see the full scope and realizes the initial flaws are not bad and can actually are quite good. Now, the concepts of a world slightly flawed and an ideal world might seem a little abstract, but there is a sort of connection between the two, one that points out the differences and similarities between--not obviously, but to just the extent that you are able to see what the author is getting at. This connection between is the cat. By utilising the deliberate lack of definite answers via exposition, Gaiman is able to insert a character that provides as a plot device and also as a companion. The cat serves as a partner, who follows Coraline through both her world and the other world. He is the only other character in the movie that can do this, and that makes him Coraline's accomplice. The cat provides answers to questions Coraline (and the reader) might have, which allows the movie itself to have a more coherent grounding. But, due to the inherent style of the movie, the cat simply cannot act as a mere tool of exposition, as it would break the immersion of the mystery, of the abstractions of the occurrences of the other world. Because of this, the cat is the perfect companion to have: cats aren't terribly helpful or kind like a dog might be, and they have a selfish nature about them. These two characteristics work very well with the plot of Coraline, as they provide good concrete reasons as to why Coraline's sole partner does not have the answers, and keep the feel of the strange and wondrous mystery, without keeping their audience in the dark. As far as the plotline for Coraline goes, it is one of cliche and predictability. Coraline, like many other mysterious adventure movies, has a gateway between worlds represented through a common household object. This enables the story to surprise and entertain audiences while keeping it relatable on the other side. It also relies heavily on character traits that are unoriginal and not necessarily mesmerizing, causing a weird paradigm between the two worlds. The story itself follows a tried and tested formula of showing one world, showing the other, and relying on said paradigm to show the benefits of the former. It's not something special or commendable, but that is not saying that it is a poorly laid plot. Yes, all the details ands actions reek of cliches and predictable twists, but those are only cliches because of their ability to convey a story. All in all, the plot is decent, just don't think into it expecting too much deeper meaning. Through the combination of these stylistic and character choices, the author is able to create a film that allows for the youth watching it to go through the same mental process Coraline does. By going through this process, the audience is not changed in their environment they were at the beginning when they are at the end. The change in between the two has a profound and lasting effect on the audience's perception of themselves that will allow them to be more accepting of their own quirks and issues, just as the characters in the film were.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Frame by Frame, World to World. Coraline is another chapter of the childhood dark fantasies which have been brought to life by Henry Selick.
foster-355069 December 2017
Coraline is a 2009 stop-motion animation film that is written and directed by Henry Selick. Selick's name may sound familiar because his other more famous works include The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and James and the Giant Peach (1996). With Coraline you get another great package deal by Selick, the main cast compromised of Dakota Fanning as Coraline, Coraline's mother being voiced by Teri Hatcher and father by John Hodgman and even some great supporting work by Ian McShane who voices a washed up but still eccentric and energized carnival entertainer who parades around some performing mice. Coraline herself is an outdoor, hands-on type of girl who just wants to embrace the new environment that her family has moved her to, however with the chores of settling in and finishing up on other laborious writing projects, the parents are not so envious of Coraline's desires and time.

The theme of the film is to "focus on style or texture" (Petrie, Boggs, 2012, p. 20), as previously mentioned, Selick's other works point out his unique talents in creating dark, fantasy worlds that are just passable and manageable for the older kid groups. Telling a story similar to James and the Giant Peach you find yourself following a younger person who doesn't exactly like their current situations and seek out a little more, only to find themselves on a dangerous adventure filled with unimaginable beings or creatures. The artistry in Coraline is always present with large miniature sets on display and various camera work to mimic a live action film. Nearly every time Coraline leaves the house to go outside we are treated with the "the zoom lens" (Petrie, Boggs, 2012, p. 117) showing us just how magnificent the scale of the set and detailed modeling used. The choice of colors should be noted to in Coraline as they generally are gloomy and contain shades of off blue and purple, making us all feel uneasy as to what is happening or can occur throughout the experience.

As you dig further into the story and this unnatural but seemingly better world, you learn along with Coraline that not everything is as it seems. Unraveling the disguises and illusions, you become fully sensitive to the style of film this is and appreciate the stop-motion effects. From bizarre transformations to impossible realities, the movie proves Selick to be right in how he can compete with a lighter storytelling method used by companies such as Disney and Pixar. So much so that the award-winning 2016 movie Kubo and the Two Strings takes direct influence from Selick's work, giving us all a Tim Burton Beetlejuice feeling that there is something to be made in the stop-motion fantasy worlds.

A common item to decipher the normal world to the other world in our story of Coraline would be the replacement of the eyes with simple buttons, a "motif" if you will. (Petrie, Boggs, 2012, p. 27). These buttons symbolize a dark meaning of course as to lose one's sight would mean you cannot see and naturally would become lost over time in a place that you may have believed better than the world where you could see. The dark fantasy style that Selick has become known for is after all what this film embodies and is held to, a high recommendation for those who dare to explore.
A Creepy, Dark, but fun Adventure
joshfedderson19 November 2017
When I first saw this movie I thought it was made by Tim Burton, but I was wrong. It has that Tim Burton feel to it but it was made by Henry Selick I have never heard of him.

The story is about a teenager named Coraline who moves into a three story apartment home called Pink Paradise with her parents. Her parents are workaholics and they don't really seem to care about Coraline at all. Things start to get boring for the teenager and she wishes for other things. One day, Coraline finds a hidden door blocked by a wall of bricks. That night she dreams, and she travels through the door to a para rel world, a world where her dreams come true. A world where her parents treat her like a princess and love her. As time goes on, turns out this opposite world is not what Coraline thinks it is, and turns out to be a living Hell run by a monster known as "Other Mother".

It was a very bizarre film, that's why I thought it was made by Tim Burton. It was a story that gradually turned dark and menacing, it was fun and dark. It has a moral and lesson to it, be careful what you wish for, because it might not be what you expect it to be and be a complete nightmare. The people with the button eye's were creepy, it freaked me out. This film is not for children, and a parent should watch it with them if they view it, it is more for the teenage and adult crowed. It makes for a great Halloween movie. Be careful what you wish for, it just might come true in a terrible way.

9/10 for Coraline
Coraline Review (Spoilers)
walfordjb18 November 2017
Before I begin my review, I would like to say that just because this is animated, it isn't exactly for little kids. Also I will be revealing some spoilers.

Coraline is a masterpiece. Directed by Henry Selick (Nightmare Before Christmas) the film was released in 2009 to positive reviews and was a success.

The film's animation is absolutely amazing. Seriously, there is so much attention to detail in this film, and it blew my mind! The character designs are very good as well.

The story follows Coraline Jones, an extremely bratty girl who discovers a small door in her new home that leads to a parallel universe. The inhabitants have button eyes to top it off, and if that's not creepy enough, it turns out this amazing world is just a trap.

This film is creepy. If you have young kids who are scared easily, please watch it before you show them. It's just a very creepy film, and can be very scary.

Overall, I love Coraline and it will remain one of my favorites for a long time.
Caro, Cora, Certainly not Bora
thesar-212 November 2017
Coraline proves, once again, where Pixar lost its way, Laika always knocks them out of the park.

Last year's incredible Kubo and the Two Strings and 2012's ParaNorman should've automatically prompted me to check out the always talked about Coraline. I don't have access to 3D outside the red/blue glasses that comes with movies like Friday the 13th Part III and I was told specifically that this movie needed to be seen in 3D. Not true.

Well, yeah, I didn't see it in 3D to completely verify that claim, but I do know if the only reason a movie is good or a must-see is because of a technical aspect or in some cases, a gimmick, then the movie's got problems. This movie might have been even more fun with the visuals popping out, but dang it, I had a complete blast watching it without the additional dimension.

Coraline was a marvel at storytelling, visuals, heart and adventure. The art of making these stop-motion films should be an Academy Award on its own for the countless hours, energy and passion the geniuses devoted. I love these kinds of movies 100x more than any CGI cartoon. But, you still need to have a story.

Wow, Coraline has the worst of all parents and that sets up for the fantasy of the little girl travelling to Wonderland to meet the duplicated, albeit polar-opposite family and surroundings of her real world. But, if it's too good to be true…

While many movie's premises slowly gets progressively worse, this movie does the opposite. I did like the movie up front, but as it moved forward, my eyes widened and my soul relished in each new inventive scene, great dialogue and wondrous adventure they had in store for us.

This came out in 2009 and as recently as 2016, they're still making them. I am stoked they are. These cannot be easy to make, they keep getting criminally passed up for best Animated Oscars and they usually don't have huge box office receipts. But, if you care about true art being made – in all formats, true spirit in cinema and some of the best and most realistic stories in some of the best and most fantastical realms, you need to check out these Laika beauties.

***

Final thoughts: That's two for two for me! What I playfully called my "Surreal Saturday" movie double feature turned out way better than I had thought. First off was the fantastic Pan's Labyrinth and I followed that with Coraline. Both were first time viewings from me and both 10/10 stars. Now, that was actually a Super Saturday!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Both a very creepy and very good film.
Animated Antic24 October 2017
Ever since "The Nightmare Before Christmas" came to theaters in 1993, stop motion has become one of the most common forms of animation in films right next to computer animation and traditional animation. Most of these kinds of the movies I've really enjoyed and "Coraline" is yet another. The film is a glorious return to stop motion animation for director Henry Selick and has a very creepy characters, some fantastic animation and memorable characters that I can easily consider it a modern Halloween classic. Here's my explanation of why this film works.

Coraline Jones (Dakota Fanning) moves with her parents (Teri Hatcher and John Hodgman) from Michigan to the run down Pink Palace Apartments (which is really a divided house) in Oregon.  Because her parents focused on finishing their garden catalog and her neighbors being to strange to talk to, Coraline becomes very bored and decides to explore the house only to find a small door that is bricked up. That night she opens up the same door only find a corridor to the Other World, which is the same as her normal life with a catch. Everything seems nicer and better and the people in this world are known as the Others have buttons as eyes. Coraline becomes very attracted to the alternate world and starts to visit it commonly not realizing that she is going to fall in a dark and twisted trap.

The film is based on the novella written by Neil Gaiman who even admitted in an interview I found online that he actually got scared by the movie. That is the sign of a really good adaptation and "Coraline" is easily that. The film's story takes the novella and expands it very well by adding details that don't feel unnecessary and characters you can easily like. I also love how the film gradually goes from being very happy and glowing to very creepy and disturbing and not making it feel rushed. The animation is also by far, the best element of the film. Unlike other stop motion animated movies where the puppets were typically made by clay, the people at Laika decide to make the puppets faces using a 3D printer which is something I think has never been done before. Apart from it great because it's brand new, it looks great because the film has a different assortments of colors which establishes the mood perfectly. The characters have very identifiable personalities, yet the best thing about them is that they're not perfect. What I mean by perfect is not their always happy nice. Even Coraline isn't a perfect character as she does get jealous and egotistical at times. I love characters that are like this. The last thing that I really loved about the film was the film's musical score written by Bruno Coulais. The music had the right mood by being both very calming and very unpleasant when its needed. As far as flaws with them are, I do find the parents in the beginning are a little unlikeable. I know that it's to set up the story with Coraline, but I think they could have been a little less grumpy.

"Coraline" is just fantastic. It's a film that has the right amount of creepiness that leads to a new Halloween classic with it's great story, animation and characters. I hope Henry Selick can continue making movies like this as this film is proof that he can make good movies without the help of Tim Burton.
grossly overrated
bainz2 October 2017
I'm not sure if people were just awe of the art style or what but this movie was quite boring. Sure the "look" of the film is quite unique but it has been done before - with better stories. I'm assuming this movie was geared toward younger audiences as I found myself nodding off a few times. This flick is style over substance IMHO.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Masterpiece
hshsiskbdjd7 September 2017
I thought since this was my first review that I would review my favorite movie of all time.

Coraline is an easy example for a movie masterpiece to me. The movie has perfect pacing, Believable Characters,a Beautiful innovative atmosphere, a phenomenal OST, and to top it all off, Stunning 3D stop motion Animation.

A short synopsis: Coraline Jones is moving into a place called Pink Palace it's somewhat of a boarding home, Whilst Coraline's Parents are always working it leads to her being curious and wanting to adventure. eventually she finds a boarded up mini door, Being her curious self she gets her mom to check inside, only to find bricks that is; that same night though Coraline is awoken and lead to the door by a mouse. Now the door leads somewhere beyond her imagination.

Coraline's only flaw is that it ends.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some magic lost in translation
dissident32029 July 2017
I absolutely love stop motion animation so I feel almost guilty not loving this movie. The book is wonderful and they do nail a few scenes but mostly it felt like it was trying to copy the book exactly instead of making it its own. The voice acting is great and in theory I didn't have an issue with the addition of the neighbour kid. He never seemed to quite mesh with the story and I don't know that it even needed him in order to smooth out the story with exposition.

So much time and effort went into this but I was not really floored by the visuals or the story execution. As much as I love stop motion, it has so much time required to make it and then you have to make it a good movie too. This one falls into the same category as Anomalisa in that it is visually impressive but falls flat as a complete story.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Coraline is an imaginative, creepy, and wholly unique animated experience.
WondrousMoose18 July 2017
Animation is a contentious medium. Some consider it to be exclusively for children, while others insist that it can appeal just as much to adults, if not more so. Personally, I agree with the latter, and I can offer films like Waltz with Bashir and Grave of the Fireflies as examples. Coraline, from the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas, is a film that I feel bridges the gap between children's entertainment and adults' art especially well. On the one hand, it is a stop motion feature about a young girl who discovers a fantasy world from inside her home, but on the other, it has garnered huge critical praise, and almost anyone who sees the film as a child is completely terrified by it. Who is it made for, then? I'd say that it's for exactly the person who wants to watch it.

Coraline Jones (Dakota Fanning) has just moved with her family to Oregon from her home in Michigan. Her parents (Teri Hatcher and John Hodgman) ignore her and spend their time writing for a gardening catalog, and the neighbors – an elderly pair of former actresses, a crazy man who claims to train mice for a circus, and a boy named Wyborne (he goes by "Wybie") who follows her around – are all a bit strange for her liking. In her new home, though, she finds a small door that leads to a world almost the same as her own, only better.

Here, her parents pay loads of attention to her, the actresses are beautiful acrobats, her crazy neighbor actually has a circus of kangaroo mice, and Wybie can't talk! After a few trips to this world, she is just about ready to stay, until she hears the catch: she must gouge out her eyes and replace them with buttons. Her parents have also been captured, and so she must defeat the monstrous Beldam who controls the fantasy and set things back to the way they were.

It isn't often that a movie captures me as fully as Coraline does. The characters, story, animation, music, overall design, and little details in the world and between characters all come together to create one of the most unique movies that I have ever seen. Coraline herself is a wonderful character, and we get to watch a bored girl with a poor attitude develop the strength to accept that while her world is not perfect, it is what she has, and she can love it for that.

This film sets up its macabre and charming tone from the opening shots – under fairly creepy music a hand of needles empties a doll and builds a new one, before sending it floating out of a nearby window. For lovers of stop motion, Selick's past works, or creepy movies in general, this is one that simply can't be missed.
No buttons please
Kenyae Kofi7 May 2017
This movie is a great one that shows that sometimes in reality we prefer a fantasy, but even a fantasy has its own dangers obviously. The only thing I did not like about the movie is its hard religious side to it. But besides that I have a child and I feel this movie could give nightmares like crazy. This movie also had an amazing connection with how fantasies can even affect our realities. In total this movie can give a morale to it that when given the choice between fantasy or reality, always choose reality which is safer in the long run.
Animation!
GooseReviews20 March 2017
The movie directed by Henry Selick and based on the book by Neil Gaiman. It's a story of a girl who moved to new home. We can see that her parents are busy and don't have a time for her. One night Coraline finds magic door that leads her to the parallel world where her Other Parents create a perfect home. Soon Coraline discovers that the magic world is a trap. I must admit that the animation is amazing. Every character looked awesome and had so much detail to them. I am wondering how can I describe the movie and horror for kids come in mind. It was nice to watch.
The creepiest PG movie ever
YourFamilyExpert17 January 2017
Since the Brothers Grimm penned their morbid fairy tales (and probably before), children and adults have escaped into fantasy to safely explore the dangers of reality. Tales such as Hansel and Gretel, and in the last century The Wizard of Oz, have provided imaginative worlds with dangers at every turn. The purpose of such tales was always to warn, educate, and provide a backdrop for moral instruction.

Such is true of Coraline, a cinematic fairy tale crafted by writer Neil Gaiman and director Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas). Based on a book by Gaiman, this visually astounding stop-motion masterpiece is a reminder that not all fairy tales have wistful princesses and happy musical numbers (sorry, Disney). This is a return to the creepy morality tales of yore, and while young children may have nightmares from the unsettling mood and tone, older children and adults will likely delight in both its imagination and its message.

Coraline's title character is a plucky and resilient child (expertly voiced by Dakota Fanning) who has moved to a dusty, lonely old house in Washington with her parents. Both are neglectful in their own way: her father is caring enough, but is constantly aloof, while her mother (voiced by Teri Hatcher) is so busy that she hardly notices her daughter, and is often annoyed by her when she does.

One night, Coraline discovers a portal into a parallel existence: same house, same parents, but here everything is exactly as she wishes it were in reality. The dreariness of her true home is replaced by vibrant colors and spectacle. Her neglectful parents are replaced by updated versions who live only to lavish her with affection and wish-fulfillment. Soon Coraline begins to greatly prefer the alternate life to her actual one. It's all seems perfect, but she (and the audience) cannot shake the unsettling suspicion that something isn't quite right. Only a sage old black cat (who is realistically silent in the "real world," but suavely vocal in other) seems to understand the dangers behind the seductive facade of Coraline's dream world.

To say more would be to ruin the surprises, but suffice to say that the film contains excellent messages for those who look for discussion points to share with their children afterward. The dream world serves as a perfect metaphor for the cunningly disguised lies of harmful people, as well their tactics of using subtle counterfeits to grant people's wishes in the short run, while slowly entangling (and later chaining) them in the long run.

As my mother always said: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." With regards to Coraline's dream parents, they may be seen as a practical warning against slick strangers who might lure children away by promising them exactly what they want (much like the "candy man" character in Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang). The black cat, whose warnings initially go unheeded, may be seen to serve a similar purpose to parents, friends, and teachers. He is a wise, caring character who sees and understands things that the protagonist does not yet comprehend, tries to keep her from harm, and helps her when she is in peril.

Furthermore, the film not only reminds parents of the need to give their children attention and affection, but also helps children understand the stresses of parenting and the need for gratitude for the parents they do have.

In addition to serving as a lasting morality tale, Coraline is a terrific artistic achievement. While computer-generated animation is en vogue at the moment, the terrific and nearly seamless stop-motion animation here is something different and gorgeous to behold. The film is currently showing both in 3D and as a regular feature; I recommend that you see it in 3D if possible, as the richly designed sets and characters were meant to be experienced in that format. Far from a mere gimmick, the 3D in this case actually brings more life to the story, revealing layers and depth that were actually created by hand and filmed, one meticulous frame at a time.

Parents should be warned, that while the film contains no real violence, it is full of unsettling images and a creepy atmosphere that will doubtless give nightmares to little ones (much like the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz, though this is a good deal scarier). There is mild profanity. A scantily-dressed and buxom elderly woman, though a clay-animated figure and far from titillating, may be offensive to some. That said, for older kids, teens, and adults who possess rich imaginations and an appreciation for this type of film, Coraline is a terrific night at the movies, and worth the added fee to view in 3D.
Very Much Neil Gaiman
gavin69423 January 2017
An adventurous girl (Dakota Fanning) finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.

Although I have only read a fraction of Gaiman's work, I think this really captures some of his themes. The focus on childhood being a fantastic age, and the idea of other worlds just beyond the horizon. Mix in the very appropriate Selick-style direction, and you get just the right feel.

I would also like to give a shout-out to John Linnell. Without knowing his involvement, I immediately recognized the voice and that made me love the film all that much more. If it is in fact true that They have more tracks that were never used, I do hope they see the light of day. They Might Be Giants is ridiculously prolific, and more often than not succeed in creating wonderful sounds.
dark . and useful
Kirpianuscus28 December 2016
a dark film. creepy, seductive, far to be comfortable but useful. because its theme is one of the most common in every day reality. parents too busy, solitude of a child, temptation of alternatives who, at the first sigh, seems be ideal. Coraline is special for the exploration of well known cultural references and, in same measure, for the science of detail. because it is a film about illusions. a film for adults because it reminds more than presents. because it is an ironic portrait of a society for who to escape from yourself is more interesting than to live.in same measure, it is a beautiful animation. and this is one of the basic motifs to see it. because it has the gift to present the ordinaries details in the perfect light.
Beautifully Original, Though a Little Dark for a PG-Rated Movie
caidenw-370508 December 2016
This movie is a perfect example of Laika's originality, uniqueness, slightly unsettling mind. The movie is beautifully made, the acting is gorgeous, but most of all, the story is incredibly original and unorthodox for an animated movie! It has beautiful and innovative storytelling, a relatable main character, depth, and it feels like you're visiting another world: a dream inside another dimension! The movie has so much originality, and it's not afraid to be itself!

I'd greatly consider it a classic in animation history, a movie you'll want to keep forever, eventually showing your kids and then your grandkids!

It's a movie that shows family films can still be enjoyed by everyone! Kids will enjoy it, adults will enjoy it, teens will, and chances are, even seniors will enjoy watching it!

Journey into Tim Burton's mind with this movie and yet, the mind of its creators and Laika at the same time as well!
Awesome! This Is A Real Decent Masterpiece
denis88826 October 2016
Such cartoon movies are a real Feat to make, and one can only wonder how much effort, labor, pain was used to make such a tremendously great, funny, dark, serious, deep, decent and thoughtful work as Coraline is. I applaud to Neil Gaiman for his outstanding book, an yes, I do ch her for this cartoon movie that is a true work of Geniuses. Odd, weird, off the beaten track, often hilarious, this movie holds well and stands alone as a visual treat for eyes and a decent food for thought. Coraline, voiced by impeccable Dakota Fanning, is a really smart, brave, sarcastic and cool young girl who is not idle or cowardly, and who goes through all the ordeals with a head held up and with hew unique mix of curiosity, inquisitiveness, valor, fervor and great humor. She shines all the time of the film, thus making this excellent work even better. This is a very unique film with all its unusual characters, such as a sarcastic Cat, or funny busy Parents, or some evil guys, or even very funny Russian man as well, is a great example of nontrivial approach to a movie making.
not so great
disdressed1219 September 2016
this is a strange little film.it's probably too frightening for young children.it's a stop motion animation film directed by Henry Selick.i don't want to give any of the plot away.lets just say Coraline(voiced by Dakta Fanning lives mundane,banal life and wishes for something more.i found the movie to be quite creepy at times;it wasn't really a fun experience for me.i found it very twisted and disturbing. for me,there three film in a similar vein to this.James and the Giant Peach,Nightmare before Christmas(Both directed by Henry Selick)and the Corpse Bride,written and directed by Tim Burton.theses three films are much better film in my opinion.for me,Coraline is a 5/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
NOT FOR KIDS! But best movie i've seen in a while.
Stephen Frantz3 September 2016
Disney is hard for me. Fairy tales and happy endings can bore me quickly (Frozen, any princess films, most superhero films). I like the edgy style that Tim Burton and Henry Selick embrace, but i admire strong family values we expect from Disney. This film is a wonderful blend of both worlds.

The film begins dingy and foreboding, like The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Unlike most films of this nature, the creep factor is introduced and interrupted by a heartwarming interlude. But once the plot twists, the creep factor immediately jumps and remains high for the rest of the movie.

I highly recommend for anyone who loves Tim Burton (lord of the bizarre) or for those who enjoy a good scare.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my favourite films!
emilylemons25 August 2016
This is an absolutely outstanding movie which is one of my all-time favourites. Films that are adapted from books are always hard to stay true to because if you filmed an entire book it would be hours long. But even though there isn't everything from the book in the film, it is brilliant. If you liked The Nightmare Before Christmas, then you will love this!

The story is of a young girl who moves to a new home and discovers another world inside a little door, where everything is better but this wonderful place isn't exactly what it seems.

I remember watching this film at the cinema and my mum got up to go to the bathroom and I went with her, I waited outside the loos and she said "Aren't you going" and I said "No I just wanted to get away from that film". No don't be put off by that comment because it was the first creepy film I'd watched and I was about 7. But I was determined to love this film for what it was, so I watched it over and over and I am no longer scared by it!

The animation is stunning and the work that everyone has done on the film is magnificent *small applause*. It is so amazing that everything is made by hand and they have been so creative with what they use; the blossoms on the trees are painted popcorn and one of the flowers is a dog toy that has been cut in half.

I would say when Coraline realises what is really happening in the Other World, the scenes become a little disturbing but I would just watch it because it's a great film.

I don't want to put you off this film because it is wonderful! I am so glad it has been the start of a new journey for Laika as well, with films like ParaNorman and The Boxtrolls following after it. I personally think that Coraline is the best films (so far) that Laika has made because you can really see all the love that has gone into making this film.

It's amazing. Go watch it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Incredible. Best movie I've seen for ages.
allyatherton9 August 2016
A girl discovers a universe where her parents treat her like a Queen but all is not as it seems

Voiced by Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, John Hodgman and Robert Bailey Jr

Written by Neil Gaiman (Novel)

Screenplay written by and also directed by Henry Selick

At last a great movie!

The whole thing is just incredible from the story to the voice actors to the unbelievably good animation. Right from the beginning credits ( which are superb by the way) this movie sucks you in and it doesn't matter how old you are. Neil Gaiman is gaining a top class reputation as a writer and this has all the hallmarks of his imagination. I haven't read the book or most of his books, so I don't know how it compares to the novel, but this works brilliantly as a movie in it's own right.

I am in my forties but I enjoyed this movie just as much as any kid would. In my opinion it manages to create a magical world within a magical world much better than anything I've seen from the hands of Tim Burton or anybody else.

It's fun and totally hypnotizing.

Dark and beautifully animated
SlyGuy214 August 2016
A pretty odd movie to watch coming off of the recent stuff I've put on here, but it was a good choice. Having only seen about 2 or 3 stop-motion movies before, this is probably the best animated I've seen. The characters are so well animated, no wonder it took over 3 years to finish and edit everything. The tone takes a lot of different paths, one minute it's gloomy, the next it's happy, the next it's creepy as hell. The opening scene is especially creepy. The random gibberish being sung, the creepy sewing needle hands, the rag-doll essentially being gutted, it gave me goosebumps for a long time. If you want "Alice in Wonderland" with a darker twist you can watch this or "Pan's Labyrinth". Oh, and don't worry, I'll get to that movie as soon as I can.
Better than expected
orbcardinal26 July 2016
I went into this movie knowing that it was creepy. I had avoided the movie for years, having one or two friends who loved it and ten other friends telling me it was creepy and to stay away. And for a while, this kind of animation freaked me out. I avoided any movies like this for the longest time, but in the past few years some of my go-to movies are ones like the Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas. And 30 seconds into the movie I was absolutely blown away by the amazing animation. It really does bring the creepy atmosphere of the movie together in a visually stunning way. And being one that goes into a movie quite biased before even watching it, it was actually totally cool to be proved wrong about a movie. If you're wanting to show this to your kid, it might have to wait until they're a bit older depending on how they deal with terrifying skeletal-like creatures pretending to be parents. However, if you're looking for a wonderfully animated, creepy movie, this is it.