IMDb > Catwoman (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Catwoman

Catwoman More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 64: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Don't be a puppet of the critics, see it for yourself first.

Author: bedshapedboy1986 (bedshapedboy1986@yahoo.ie)
3 August 2004

After reading some horrendous (and I mean really, really bad reviews of 'Catwoman', I was definitely considering giving it a miss). I have to say that after having seen it, I am absolutely at a loss to words as to why the critics have mauled it so doggedly, and in my opinion unfairly. Were we watching the same film? What was so bad about it? Sure so the plot was on the thin side and the dialogue was highly camp, but other than that I can't see what has provoked the spewing of critical vomit all over this film. Halle Berry makes an adorable Patience, and displays her vulnerability believably and effectively. On the other hand, she really sexes up the screen as Catwoman with the witty one-liners, the hot costume and the raunchy whip cracking. Once again Halle has displayed her versatility.

This film is called Catwoman, the name should explain itself. I don't understand why people are ripping it to shreds or calling it laughable, e.g. as in the way Patience acts becoming Catwoman, i.e. the catnip incident (once), the hissing at dogs (once), the tuna (once, which I found to be amusing), the prancing around. What exactly did you expect her to do? How else do you act like a cat? How else does a human gain feline tendencies? Got any better ideas? I didn't think so. Yet we don't rip Toby Maguire to shreds when he shoots web from his arms (yeah like THAT makes sense.) There is clearly a double standard approach adopted by some critics, who contradict themselves more then they'd care to admit. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy Spiderman as well as this.

This not brain food and you don't have to evaluate your life after it but hey, people need that once in a while. It's a fun movie... The CGI was NOT bad, sure it was obvious at times that it wasn't Halle but for the most part it was done to a high standard. Let's be honest here and give credit where credit is due the cinematography is superb. It has such a visual allure, a dark, rich atmospheric look, and it is almost sexy to look at. The camera work is very original looking, kudos to Pitof, am I the first person to actually praise him? I think so. The scene where the Egyptian Mau brings Patience back to life is beautiful and picturesque. The music creates an epic mood.

Sharon was fun to watch as the 'past it', shallow, bitchy Laurel Hedare. Alex Borstein shined as Patience's best friend and Benjamin Bratt did the best that he could with what he was given as dialogue. Lambert Wilson plays his part, in the usual camp style, but does it to perfection. All in all the acting is not bad, and unless somebody has a personal vendetta against Halle Berry, it can't be said that she didn't put her all into the part. She was sizzling as Catwoman. One critic in particular said that she looked "as sexy as a hairball in the outfit". Either a jealous woman or a man with terrible taste in women must have written that. Halle has undeniable sex appeal in the part. The soundtrack is typical summer movie fare with the usual dramatic theme song, mixed with the current popular styles, hip-hop, r'n'b. This is after all a film that has to appeal to a teenage audience. The action scenes are exciting and well executed. The ending is suitably over the top but still entertaining. One scene that I thought was ridiculous was the basketball scene and some of the dialogue could have been much better, however the positives weigh out the negatives for me.

This is no Citizen Kane or Pulp Fiction but its no Gigli or Swept Away either. I have seen way worse comic book movies. Daredevil, Hell Boy and undoubtedly Hulk were worse than Catwoman. It is, on no level one of the worst films ever made. What were people thinking writing that? I went in with the lowest expectations possible for Catwoman and came out of the theatre having seen a supremely entertaining, undeniably above average film. Critics should be ashamed of themselves and audiences should not be puppets. This is worth seeing. There has been a 'Let's jump on the bandwagon' attitude regarding this film. One person bashes it and suddenly everybody does. I'm glad I went to see this film so I could make up my own mind regarding it. I usually do agree with critics but on this one, I beg to differ. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, you might not like mine, and I might not like yours but there is no need to be downright nasty and unfair when reviewing something. There is such a thing as being balanced. Oh and before people start complaining about the absence of Selina Kyle, and Gotham city, who cares, life is too short.

So if you want to some light, leave your brain at the door entertainment, go to see Catwoman. If you want to see a high drama Oscar category film, go to see something else. It's fun, sexy action-packed, camp, stylish summer fare. It is a step above the usual Hollywood fare in the style stakes. Pitof shows a typically stylish French attitude. Halle Berry does herself proud. If you want to be a gullible puppet, believe the 'we're failed artists', overly critical, intellectually snobby critics. I don't really care if that seems like a generalisation because it is most likely true. I bet many of them haven't even seen it. See it for yourself, and make up your own mind. I look forward to a sequel…..

Halle is not as bad as you think.........

Author: princecharmin107 from United States
23 July 2004

Really, Halle Berry is not as bad as people think. Compared to movies like Spiderman and X-men, no of course not, Catwoman would not be on that list. But, compared to horrible comic book films like Daredevil and The Hulk, Catwoman is OK. The many behind the scenes specials that was aired to promote the movie, you see that Halle is doing most of her own stunts in this film.In the film, it is put together very well with over the top CGI effect so Halle did have the whole Eartha Kitt/Michelle Pfeiffer vibe, if not better because Michelle nor Eartha did their own stunts, sorry, but they were just pretty faces but great actors.Batman Returns is the only good movie coming out of the Batman series.So Michelle is one of the best infamous catwomans. So Halle becoming a fighting machine is applauded.

The CGI effect could have been a lot less in the film and Sharon Stone performance in this film is overrated, but not as bad as Demi Moore's comeback.(Sharon Stone is trying to make a comeback right?) Benjamin Bratt is a great leading man, but we all know a leading man, or what Hollywood like to call it "love interest" ,had to be in the film.Superheroes are best defined by the qualities of the villains they must overcome. Some action sequences are really good, then some are mediocre, and then some are just plain boring.

Halle one liners are hilarious and of course she is great to look at. She did an "ok" performance in this movie and the many people that was in the private screening, it was too many people in there I might add and there were even more outside trying to get in, seem to enjoyed it. This movie is not to be taken that seriously, compared to Spiderman and X-men, it is not on its level. Even though Spiderman and Catwoman, both had overrated CGI effects, like the poorly I, Robot,please skip that movie, not worth your money, its an enjoyable movie with likable and non-likable characters with added great performances from Frances Conroy, Lambert Wilson and even the animated Alex Borstein.I also might add it is not as terrible as Batman& Robin, Daredevil, or The Hulk!!!!!!! 7/10

Great movie! Stop expecting Spider-man!

Author: zachary5787 from Albuquerque, NM
6 August 2004

I was thrilled when I discovered that there was going to be a Catwoman movie. I didn't mind that it wasn't Selina Kyle, in fact, I thoroughly enjoyed a brand new Catwoman. It was nice to learn about the background and historical significance of the Catwoman legend. I liked how they introduced the idea of different generations of Catwomen. I do admit there is some 'corny' parts in the movie but I think its worth every penny!! The main reason people do not like it (at least from the review I read about it) was because they critic was expecting Spider-man material. NO! Don't do that! Catwoman and Spiderman are practically polar opposites. You are an idiot for expecting that if that is what you did! If you are looking for a fun, sexy, action packed movie, go see Catwoman! IT'S FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Why I enjoyed Catwoman so much!

Author: the_one_008 from QC
26 July 2004

It's the Cat's Meow in other words it's 'Hot'

It's fun comic book movie. No it's not Spiderman 2, there's no deep character conflicts that wrap the viewer in the complex mind of a conflicted confused hero, that's all Marvel babe and this is DC. The comic book styles are different and so are the movies. Anyway you look at it Catwoman is an excellent origin film. That's why I can't wait of Catwoman II to see where and how the character develops.

Catwoman is fantastic. Halle worked that cat suit, she even inspired me to go to the gym. Berry became Catwoman, she embodied the feline femme fatale. The way she moved after becoming Catwoman would've have made my kittens proud, it was feline fantastic. Then there's the romance. Berry and Bratt made a sexy couple and their chemistry was magical. Sharon Stone was purrfectly b___y and I mean that as a complement some times a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do. It's a fun film all around. Love the catfights, love the romance, love the man crazy friend, I loved this movie. If it were the 90s I'd give it two around the world snaps. It's not about feminism… it's about independence. It's not about the old Catwoman…its about the new Catwoman and she still could kick Batman's butt if she wanted or seduce him if she chose to. If you look closely Halle pays homage to the other Catwomen. To top it all off the soundtrack is grrreat.

WIldly Entertaining, and yes it has to be said Visually Stunning

Author: Jay hall from United Kingdom
14 August 2004

Okay, watched Catwoman today, Expecting, well not much really, except mildly entertaining fight scenes maybe. But I got so much more than that, I found a movie , all be it not Oscar or Award worthy, but a movie, that really did take me from reality for a bit, I become completely emerged in the story which may be silly, but who cares! The fight scenes, where all in my opinion beautifully choreographed, and the CGI, I thought was definitely above average. Hallie Berry was excellent both as Patience and Catwoman. Playing Patience with real raw emotion, and she genuinely did look frightened to speak her mind, but on the other hand as Catwoman Hallie exerts all the sexiness and confidence needed to pull of such a sensual character, and in that tight leather suit she does look HOT!! Sahron Stone is delicious as the sexy villain, and Benjamin Bratt is good enough for he's mainly unimportant character. A lot of people have given this movie a lot of flak and I can kinda see why but not really, if you can call this movie anything it has to be VISUALLY STUNNING, like Gothic, mixed with modern art. The backing Track is excellent, the stunts are better than you would be led to believe, the CGI is definitely a lot better than people have been saying. All in all no where near as bad as it could have been, And isn't it worth going to see Hallie Berrie and Sharon Stone in a cat fight anyway. All in all a fun filled, visually striking twist thrilled ride from begging to very end.

Go See Honestly

By far not as bad as many people make it out to be

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
5 April 2008

You should not sit down to watch a movie as fun as Catwoman and expect to see a masterpiece such as The Godfather or Casablanca played out on screen. It is a full-throttle and entertaining leisure view with a far from perfect, but interesting story and Halle Berry is simply amazing as Catwoman, in my honest opinion. One mistake I have actually seen a few ignorant people make though is that Patience Phillips is not the Catwoman that has been played out in the Batman phenomenon, she is a version of the essence/character that is Catwoman, and in any matter she is a damn fine one at that. She might not be the best portrayal of the character in Catwoman history, since so many think that is so, and she might be the worst, but that doesn't mean she is bad and she is unable to be found enjoyable.

I don't care if this film stuck to the original characterizations of Catwoman or not anyway. It does not make the character of Catwoman out to be the villain or the superhero, just the figure that is Catwoman who strives for what she desires and in the end it's what I really enjoy about it. It seems like working hard for what she wants is what Catwoman is all about anyway, so doesn't that stay true to what people have been familiar with from Catwomen in the past in some way? The plot is the worst aspect, but what kind of plot were people really expecting from a film called "Catwoman" and there had been no confirmations that it had anything to do with Batman? It really doesn't matter, because when the cast played out the scenes all the problems it has fade away, in my opinion, for how delightful and exciting they manage to be.

Some final thoughts are that it had excellent action, great outfits and was overall a hell of a fun ride from the very beginning to the very end. It's entertainment value and flair makes up for what it lacks in solidity and depth, but most don't believe it has any value whatsoever. In any matter, I enjoy it every time I watch it. The performances are fantastic for what it set out to do regardless of what Halle Berry said at the Razzies. Why would an actor/actress try to boast themselves when excepting a Razzie anyway? Her catsuit was sexy, which I think they tried to lure in most of the mens' minor interest there, and I wish I owned it! I love this movie, as do other people, it is just that the hate shadows the required appreciation it receives from the minority of viewers.

The most underrated film of all time

Author: hallemaria (hallemaria@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
10 October 2007

Am I the only one who loved this film? And when I say I loved it, I mean I really loved it.

Catwoman has so much potential as a film character. If a decent director and scriptwriter teamed up then a great film could be made.

There's so much to the character of Catwoman which often goes unexplored in films. Of all the BAtman baddies Catwoman is the least evil. She has an identity crisis, a personality torn between good and evil, which makes her such an interesting subject.

Unlike most people, I thought Halle Berry was great as Catwoman. My favourite from the 60s series was Eartha KItt, Halle Berry was very close to Eartha Kitts portrayal of Catwoman.

So come on everybody, put your opinions of this film to one side, if someone else has the guts to try again with a Catwoman film I'll be there.

Halle Berry Is Catwoman

Author: kael-5 from United Kingdom
23 January 2005

Brilliant! I thought this movie was superb! Although i had heard very negative things about the movie i thought it was a wonderful take on Catwoman and personally i feel that its one of the best movies Halle Berry has starred in yet. I thought the plot was brilliant and loved the that she could still be Paitence Phillips and Catwoman.I loved how her character (Patience Phillips) became so much more confident and i loved her makeover. In my opinion this movie had both superb writing and acting. I also enjoyed the fact the story was written in such a way so it showed that there have been many Catwomen over the years. Ignore the catty comments from the critics. THIS IS ONE TO WATCH

Dramatically unfair reviews. Please think for yourself on this one.

Author: masonj-1 from USA
24 July 2004

Dramatically unfair reviews

This is a far better film than the notice it is receiving. This movie is being soundly trashed -- and it does not deserve to be.

The reviewers have trashed this film and everyone seems to be jumping in on the bandwagon. Having seen the film I can tell you for an absolute fact that this is unfair. I think someone has put the word out to get this movie and that is just what is happening.

This is not the best super-hero movie ever made, but it is a good one. There is much to be respected – and enjoyed in this film. In my opinion movies based upon DC Comic characters are working with less rich material than their Marvel Comic counterparts. Given its DC heritage, this is a reasonably good effort.

In any event, it certainly compares favorably with the Laura Croft films. Something unfair is going on here. Please do not let the poor reviews stop you from going to see this movie with an open mind.

I could go on and on about its good aspects – of which there are more than a few – but my advice is … You should see it for your self and make up your own mind.

You should see it for your self and make up your own mind.

You should see it for your self and make up your own mind.

Do you know what I mean?

Please think for yourself on this one.

Enjoy

My whole family loved Catwoman (minor spoiler)

Author: anna9 from NY
8 August 2004

I really liked this movie as did my husband and our two daughters, ages 9 and 14. I thought the transformation story was beautifully written and played by Halle. It's refreshing to see a positive spin put on the Catwoman character and my oldest daughter loved the fact that she was just one of a long line of catwomen. My youngest daughter loved the fight scenes, booing the villains and cheering for Catwoman. My husband, who is also a fan of the Batman movies, liked this version of Catwoman more than the Batman Returns version. He has no problem with strong female hero's, bless him. My daughters will be seeing this movie with their friends again next weekend and I just may go with them!