IMDb > Catwoman (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Catwoman

Catwoman More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 64: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Average translation of the Bob Kane comic with excessive computer generator special effects

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
20 June 2005

The picture talks on a vogue designer (Halle Berry) who discovers a conspiracy by her chiefs (the marriage Sharon Stone and Lambert Wilson). She escapes dropping at the sea and for a spell of a holy cat , she awakes as Catwoman . A policeman (Benjamin Bratt) investigates odd murders that are leading to her but they then fall in love . They'll have to confront several risks and dangers until the attaining of innocence .

The picture has got a certain remembrance to last adaptations based on comic books , thus ¨Daredevil¨ and ¨Electra¨ but lack luster and budget . The movie mingles tension , action , humor , a love story and is enough amusing . The final duel between the starring and the baddies is impressive and exciting . From the beginning until the end the action packed and suspense is continued and fast moving and for that reason isn't tiring , neither boring but funny . The film obtained moderated success and the producers didn't achieve the wished box office and isn't sure if will have a sequel . Thierry Arbogast cinematography is colorful and shimmer . Klaus Badlet score is nice and atmospheric but is shaded by a monotonous pop music . The motion picture was regularly directed by Pitof who his previous film (Vidoq) made it much better . Yarn will appeal to Halle Berry fans and superheroine comics enthusiast . Rating : mediocre and entertaining .

Not that bad after all.

Author: TMokko from Finland
9 September 2007

I was prepared to see worst movie ever when I watched Catwoman - but I must say movie wasn't that bad as critics let you understand.

Halle Berry was in a typical action role which doesn't give much chance to deliver deep character role. She looked very good in a leather and there was some similarities with the Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman from Batman Returns. Berry didn't deserve Razzie for her OK performance. Sharon Stone gave a nice performance too as a nasty villain with some "super powers". Worst actor in Catwoman was Benjamin Bratt. He was real lame in a scene where Sharon Stone shot him - You should see that. :) Best part of the whole film was the CGI. All fast moving acrobatics of the Catwoman were executed very professionally. As a character Catwoman looked more realistic than Spider Man in a similar maneuvers. Spider man in his costume looks more plastic - Catwoman looks quite real in CGI shots even as she has more bare skin (skin is more difficult to make realistic).

Cinematics were nice, but there was a bit too much camera gimmick - like using wide angle lens and camera speedups. I hated the scene where Berry and Bratt played a basketball - just because of bad camera work - too much useless gimmicks..

Music was boring R&B and it didn't fit in most scenes. Composer must have been in sleep when making a music for this picture.

I Loved The Catwoman Movie!!!!!

Author: revorob from Australia
11 March 2007

The title says it all! I missed Catwoman on the big screen for whatever reason. I first saw it on DVD in mid-1996. I liked it so much I went out and bought a DVD copy of my own. I am at a loss as to why so many people feel the need to blast this movie; the acting, casting, direction were all good. OK, the plot wasn't brilliant but then, when was the last time Hollywood produced anything (and I mean anything) brilliant? I am sure the reason so many people were upset with the movie was that it varied from the comic book - Selina Kyle mythology. The problem with comic book movies is that they are going to be seen by comic book readers and therein lies the problem: comic book readers have little or no imagination. Why else do they read books full of pictures? The Selina Kyle model was boring and barely worked as a Batman spin-off. Why would anyone want to see a movie about a "normal" chick whose only claim to fame is that she dresses up like a cat. The studio's decision to create a whole new Catwoman with actual cat-based superpowers was a great one and made for a much more interesting movie.

Halle Berry was fantastic as Catwoman. The dejectors can say what they like (and they already have), but Halle was awesome. The Catwoman costume was very creative as well. The combination of Halle Berry in the Catwoman costume was unbelievable - veeeerrry sexy.

Whilst Catwoman was not the best flick ever made, it is far from the worst. If you have bever seen it, pick up a copy next time you visit the DVD library. It is certainly well worth a look.

Catwoman: So good!

Author: intoxicated_evil from United Kingdom
24 April 2006

This movie revolves around Patience philips, a hopeless artist working for Hedare cosmetics. She finds out that the latest beauty cream makes your face disintegrate, and she is supposedly killed by 2 men. Reborn by a mystical cat, she turns into catwoman, slowly transforming and meeting new people along the way.

Whats right with it? A lot. The acting is good, Sharon Stone is excellent in this movie, very icy. halle is excellent too. the fight scenes are good and the entrance scene with halle in her new complete cat suit is very cool.

Whats wrong with it? The special effects are a bit lousy. They are obviously fake but could have been worse. I guess the whole monster face cream concept seems a bit too much as well..

Verdict: Buy this! You will want to wattch it agaiN!

Not as bad as I was led to believe

Author: youngsteve from England
30 December 2005

I have seen the dreadful reviews involving this film, from critics & viewers alike, as well as noticing how it had crashed at the box office. So because of this have avoided it. Tonight was one of those nights when nothing was on, so I decided I might as well watch this movie which was on satellite and at least get a laugh if nothing else.

I am glad I did, as surprising enough it is nowhere as bad as people have made it out to be, and is above average in the comic book stakes. This is from someone who has seen quite a few over the years, some atrociously bad. This isn't one of them. The acting is passable for this sort of film, with Sharon Stone making a good villain, though not in it enough, and Halle Berry is worth a mark alone for her sex appeal. She is in fact more sensual when she is not in her bat costume, and unlike Jennifer Lopez can act with more than her posterior. The plot is okay, though I do agree with people when they say Cat Woman doesn't seem to have any sense of purpose. The effects are okay, but are average for this type of film, and I can only conclude, that a lot of the negativity for this film comes from the this. If there isn't a city being blown up & millions of casualties, these people are never satisfied.

Oh well I liked it, and the cats were great.

Catwoman was wonderful you hating morons

Author: wu-zi-mu from United Kingdom
13 September 2005

OK, all of you out there may find this odd I'm telling ya! this was just a wonderful movie in every way like music,plot,cast,the amount of cats you see and of course,Halle Berry so i have to say all the people out there who hated this really need to lighten up! because they really don't seem to see how good a movie can be from time to time so they can can just put their bad comments away and accept that this Catwoman rocked! Halle Berry may not to all of you be better than Michelle Pfiffer but she can still kick butt and make a good representation of Catwoman so this definitely is probably one of my favourite movies of all time

Recommended!

What's the Problem? No Cursing or No Feline innuendo? Spoiler haters, beware!

Author: Ian Bourne (ian.bourne@gmail.com) from Barbados, Caribbean
8 August 2004

I think that's what everyone expected after Danny DeVito's snide remarks in "Batman Returns," certainly everyone expected something Pfeiffer-esque after that same movie or along the lines of Batman's Animated Series on the Warner Channel... I think this movie is more along the lines of John Byrne's "Man Of Steel" or Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" this is a re-telling of a classic story! OK, no Selina and a reference to the Egyptian Cat God, Bast... You know what? Damn Cool! What was not cool was the costume she ended up wearing, the uniform she wore after trashing the apartment was WAY better and the make-up just SO! Should've left it that way!! Ben Bratt as her Batman-ish love/rival was smooth and Lambert Wilson as another Merovingian cuckolder was a pleasant distraction - Sharon Stone was nearly unrecognizable, she really could use some Beau-line herself!! As a villain it's a pity she won't be returning - mistake with Nicholson's Joker in Burton's "Batman," perhaps the film needed Prince for the soundtrack again? Ophelia Powers as a previous Catwoman who's retiring was not dealt with sufficiently, and will there be a sequel now?? As for cats hating water, not necessarily, I have 8 and 3 love to get wet! They also like french fries and corned beef as much as tuna or sushi! So the writers need to pursue their feline studies a bit more! But the animation was great, don't let anyone fool ya, do you really expect Halle or any sane stunt person to leap or glide like that? I hope it was used for the traffic scenes too! I hope there is more from Halle, although Angelina Jolie as Catwoman had potential but Halle sunk her claws in it and I hope she has 9 lives with it!

Man ALIVE, this movie sucked.

Author: loonsntunes from United Kingdom
26 July 2005

The only thing good I have to say about this movie is that no matter what, Benjamin Bratt is a fox. I honestly believe the writers, producers and directors just figured they'd throw in a few sex symbols - Benjamin, Halle and Sharon - and the audience would overlook the travesty that was this film. But how stupid do they think we are??? Good Lord. They could as well have just dressed the three of them up in costumes and let them walk up and down a stage and it would have been much more entertaining than it actually was.

I'm sorry, because I love Halle, I love Benjamin, and I don't really mind Sharon, but honestly I think this movie was pointless, anti-climactic and uninspired. It took me two days to get through it, and it's an experience I would love to push out of my memory. As I was watching it I was just praying I would see a shot of a half-naked Benjamin Bratt so I'd feel as if I got at least a quarter of my money's worth. Well...I got like an arm and a bit of chest. At least the guys got to see Halle prance, strut and jump about in a skin-tight leather suit. That's the best I can say.

Catwoman A Lady with The Right CAtitude

Author: catanna-979-158030 from NY
20 April 2014

As hard as it is for me to believe, all the critics didn't like Catwoman and some of them have been downright nasty to the movie and to Halle :=( OK, everybody can't like everything but I do think a lot of the critics just didn't get it. Maybe they were expecting it to be the continued adventures of Selina Kyle. It's not: different name, different premise and totally different interpretation of what it might be like to become a Catwoman. Some of the critics are saying that Halle's performance is too "over the top" after she is transformed. Maybe for a 100% human lady but hey this is CATwoman, brought back to life by a magical Mau on an errand from Bast the Cat Goddess! Says Halle: "I was very committed to bringing this character to life and being as catlike as I could....I spent a lot of time watching my own cat listening to how he purrs and plays and walks and when he gets angry. And there's a sound that he makes that I've tried to use, too." She also watched videotapes of lions and tigers and worked with animal co-ordinator Boone Narr, lead trainer Mark Harden, their staff. and the 43 cats that appear in the movie. (99% of the cats you see in the movie are real, not computer generated!) Choreographer Anne Fletcher also helped Halle learn how to move like a cat. Well, it worked... as Catwoman, Halle's facial expressions, voice and moves, especially when toying with her "prey", become verrrry feline which is a good part of the point of the movie. Another point is that Catwoman is both a tribute to female power and independence and also explores the darker side of power in both men and women and methinks some of the critics are a tad uncomfortable with both of these things. Whatever. Forget the critics. Go see this movie with an open mind and you'll probably enjoy it. And you might even love it as much as I did P.S. Benjamin Bratt is a real sweetie and also seriously hot; Sharon Stone is a totally cold hearted villain but she has her reasons,along with a wicked sense of humor. The Egyptian-inspired cats-and-catwomen through history titles are da bomb and the soundtrack featuring Mis- Teeq's Scandalous is ubercool!

"What a puuuuuurfect idea!" I'm sorry, come again?

Author: cedde6 from London UK
3 March 2013

It's got to take a lot of cheese for DC Comics to discreetly distance itself from one of its if not main then certainly most iconic characters. It took Michelle Pfeiffer's equally iconic portrayal of the Selina Kyle/Cat Woman character in Tim Burton's excellent "Batman Returns" to bring the idea of a Cat Woman film to the forefront. What might have sound like an appealing proposition back in 1992 somehow didn't feel as relevant more than a decade later. And for good reason...

The shy Patience Phillips stumbles upon the dirty secrets of her employer and gets killed for it. Not to worry though since she's brought back to life by some cat/deity of some kind and is reborn as the ballsy Catwoman so she can get an hair do, go shopping, do a bit of clubbing and incidentally find out who killed her and why... Oh and then she meets some generically good looking cop along the way... Vengeance and impossible love story ensues. The end. No, I mean it: the end.

Everything about "Catwoman" smells like left overs, the remains of a Sunday dinner stretched into a Monday casserole, exhausted from having been tried and done so many times before and bloated out of all proportions with stupidity and pointlessness so the script would be slightly thicker than a RSPCA leaflet. It would be very difficult to single out one particularly bad aspect of "Catwoman" from another as they are effectively interwoven into a complete disaster. This is such a formulaic Hollywood product that everything about its story (or lack of thereof) mired with plot holes the size of Australia is already known to whoever has ever watched a film before. Worse of all, it is so stereotypically marketed (even through its soundtrack) that all that was missing was Halle Berry snapping her fingers while saying to Sharon Stone "huh huh! No you don't girlfriend!". The performances of its cast is made of sheer non-commitment, an acute disaffection that is both understandable judging by the overall bêtise of the piece and insulting considering that people had to pay to see it. Last but certainly not least, the faux gloss of its CGI effects and the posturing of most of its camera works all conspire to hide the general lack of depth but actually manage to raise the bar of ugliness to brand new heights. So much so that it would be difficult to believe that it was all accidental.

It boggles the mind to think that Halle Berry could have ever thought "Catwoman" to be a good career move. Witnessing her, dressed for the oldest profession, struggling to act through this aimless debacle, the word "trapped" springs to mind. Was this some contractual obligations? What is certain here is that artistic integrity took a back seat after enough zeros were laid down on a cheque.