IMDb > A Is for Acid (2002) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Is for Acid (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Wonderful 1940's factual drama ... of a serial killer!

Author: Bobby Beans from Scotland
11 September 2002

A highly entertaining telling of a real life drama about a glamourous British serial killer. Not the most likely subject to tempt an audience but the production was put together with great attention to detail, perfectly capturing Britain in the 1940's, the props, clothes, cars and atmosphere all seeming perfectly genuine. Martin Clunes was superb as Haigh and the supporting cast all played their parts wonderfully well too. A rather unusual subject portrayed with a balanced perspective and having read accounts of the events surrounding Haigh I thought it was a great visualisation of the words I had read. Very interesting indeed.

Above average TV drama

Author: marlowe_is_dead from Antarctica
9 September 2002

Based on the true story of the Acid Bath Murderer, John George Haigh, this TV drama stars Martin Clunes as the odd-looking, charming serial killer.

Normally I don't go in for TV dramas, but since this I have a passing interest in serial killers, I watched it -- I found it well scripted and well acted, with Clunes doing a good job -- at times he did bear a resemblance to the real Haigh (from old photographs I've see), and he brought a certain charm to his character, making his deceits all the more realistic, whilst his narrative voice contrasted this with a certain lack of emotion or inflection. Also, nicely paced.

The Blandness of Evil

Author: Philby-3 from Sydney, Australia
16 April 2006

Martin Clunes has an amazing range as an actor; he has attempted everything from Mr Chipps in "Goodbye Mr Chipps" to Garry the Slob in "Men Behaving Badly". In this TV film scripted by Glenn Chandler, creator of "Taggart", he impersonates a dapper, cheerful, sport car driving type who is also an accomplished pianist called John Haigh who turns out to be a diabolical serial killer who disposes of his victims in acid baths.

. It is a nice performance and the production values are splendid – seldom has England in the 1940s been better evoked, but there is something missing. What happened is clearly conveyed. How it was done is depicted as graphically as most audiences could reasonably take. But, the question of "why" is left hanging, as it were. Was it for the money? Did Haigh, like Dr Shipman, just get a kick out of killing? Or, despite the opinion of the dozen or so experts the prosecutors and the Home Office consulted, was Haigh crazy? At the trial, not shown in this film, Haigh, represented by top-flight counsel paid for by "The News of the World", pleaded insanity. Only one psychiatrist gave evidence for the defence, to such little effect that the prosecutor didn't bother to cross-examine him.

Well, it's not the film-makers' fault that Haigh was one of those bland serial killers who defy understanding. In line with his own account, Haigh's Yorkshire Plymouth Brethren parents are depicted as strict and narrow, but not as unloving. He turned to crime at an early age and had quite a record of petty dishonesty offences. For him, prison was Crime University and he hatched the idea for his body disposal method, the acid bath, while inside. He was capable of conducting an emotional relationship with the youthful "Gillian" (Keely Hawes) while luring his victims to their deaths.

For what it's worth I think Haigh's train of thought went something like this: "I am an outsider, society does not value my true worth, I will be good to people who do really appreciate me (like my parents and Gillian), and the rest are fair game." At least it makes more sense than the vampire theory. Haigh is also one of those criminals who were bound to be caught sooner or later (his arrest was not a miracle of detection), which makes one ask: did he think he was invincible or did he really want to be caught? The film doesn't help us with this, but it's a good reconstruction and a fine piece of acting by Martin Clunes.

An excellent and chilling portrayal of the banality of evil

Author: Harun Musho'd from London, England
10 September 2002

The film traces the life and deeds of a true life serial killer, John George Haig AKA the Acid Bath Murderer. Whilst in jail for fraud in the thirties he accidentally discovers the effect that acid has on animal bodies. He subsequently "offs" a series of people including a couple a family and three strangers by inviting them to his "workshop". He dissolves the bodies in oil drums full of acid. The film cuts to flashbacks of his upbringing by zealously religious parents, but steers clear of obviously blaming the parents for the son's murderous behaviour.

The film has a similar attention to detail as "10 Rillington Place" and Martin Clunes is excellently creepy as the charming Mr Haig. The contrast is small between Haig's day-to-day behaviour and the actual murders and disposals of the body but fascinating, leading to comparisons with Richard Attenborough's portrayal of Christie in 10 Rillington Place, but this film is more darkly humorous.

The film is written by Taggart creator Glenn Chandler and directed by Harry Bradbeer who directed most of the excellent BBC series "The Cops".

Superbly summed up true story

Author: Sweenster from Wigan, England
9 September 2002

This TV movie was a superb historical drama about a true life murderer in England during and after the Second World War. Martin Clunes portrays the serial killer in a sincere but occasionally humourous way. The film shows how the killer gradually loses control and how he eventually is caught where he thought he couldn't based on an old law where a person could not be convicted of a murder if no body is found. I really found it enjoying and the acting of Clunes and his co-stars gave a true feeling of the times and the addition of a character being played by a person who actually met the real killer whilst she was child in London at the time make this film a very enjoyable treat

A is for acid, memories of meeting Det Sgt Heslin

Author: peterdaphne61 from Paignton
19 April 2013

I have just seen a repeat of this TV film and was very impressed. I had the opportunity of doing some gardening work for the Sgt Inspector Heslin (Ret'd) before he died, when he lived in Torbay. As one of the detectives who interviews Haigh and discovered his gun, he showed me photographs which very much resembled the film set of Haigh's workhouse.

I also specialized someone in the RAF when, as a medic, I saw just what Sulphuric acid can do. Now I am a prolific author and wish I had taken more notes about this case. Heslin and I enjoyed good conversation and he was very proud to have been one of the main detectives to interview Haigh.

Peter Carroll

Still a gem

Author: Tony Walton from Selby, England
22 May 2012

My only problem with this movie is Martin Clunes. He acts it well, but is so often shown on TV as an extremely affable and likable character that it's almost impossible to believe him as a serial killer. Be it in fiction ("Men Behaving Badly") or documentary (about both dogs and horses) he always comes over as a jolly nice chap (which I'm sure he is). Casting him as a cold-blooded serial killer just doesn't work – it worked when Leone cast the blue-eyed angel Henry Fonda as a psychopath in "Once upon a Time in America", but casting Clunes as a serial killer is a step too far.

Having said that this is nonetheless a gem of a movie. Set design is pure '40s and the use of 1940s music is extremely well done. Hence my 8/10 rating.

A is for Acid

Author: Drago_Head_Tilt from Japan
30 December 2011

Martin Clunes is really quite excellent as John George Haigh, the notorious "acid bath murderer", a post-WWII serial killer in London who dissolved those he offed (for money) in barrels full of sulphuric acid, pouring the resulting gloop down the drain! TAGGART creator Chandler's fine script is done justice by Bradbeer, who uses the TV movie look to good effect, capturing the musty, dusty world in which this ghoulishness took place. Fine period detail too, one minor anachronism being NOSFERATU at the theatre (it was not re-issued in the 40's as far as i know). With Keeley Hawes, Richard Hope and Celia Imrie. It was the middle entry in a true-crime trilogy penned by Chandler, following THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF WILLIAM PALMER, and followed by THE BRIDES IN THE BATH.

movie reviews @ spinegrinderweb.com

chilling and creepy, very good.

Author: jimarcher88 from wiltshire
14 April 2013

I thought Martin Clunes was excellent as Haigh as was the rest of the cast and the locations look the part, too. I had heard of Haigh before, but I didn't realize how weird he was. His insanity plea was a good try what with thee vampires ectetera but it was all for money, wasn't it? I wonder how his parents coped bearing in mind their strict religious views. I doubt that the Plymouth Bretheren upbringing can really be blamed or they'd be banned, wouldn't they? His girlfriend and wife were lucky to live! I lived in Sussex for 25 years and am glad it was two decades after his demise. I expect that these days he'd have got a sentence of 6 months for theft and a course of psychotherapy on the NHS! brrrrr! really good creepy drama.

A Fabulous Adaptation!

Author: Andrew Hopper from Doncaster, England
30 December 2002

Martin Clunes is again is a wonderful actor in this drama of a true story set in the war years. He plays a highly convincing murderer and plays the part wonderfully. Another great British drama which is very interesting to watch. 'Goodbye, Mr Chips' is another great British drama which no american ones even seem to get close to! Keep them coming British tv, keep this entertaining drama coming.

Worth 9/10 definitely!