IMDb > "Tremors" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Tremors"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Tremors" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Shame it only lasted one season!

Author: Christopher Smith
25 February 2004

There is not a whole lot that can be said about TREMORS other than that it was a great show. It wasn't quite as good as the movies, but it was still fun to watch. Just like with the TREMORS movies, the special effects were nothing special, but they still seemed cool. The special effects could have been better, though then again, it wouldn't be TREMORS if the special effects weren't a little cheesy. Being a big fan of the movie series, I watched the show every week and enjoyed every episode so naturally I was very disappointed when I heard it wasn't picked up for a second season. Hopefully the show will be released on DVD some day so fans of the movies who didn't get to see the show will be able to.

Camp At It's Best

Author: EvilTommy
27 December 2003

For those of you who enjoyed the movies, you'll also find a taste for the series. Michael Gross has evolved in the role of Burt Gummer from paranoid survivalist to paranoid survivalist leader, of the now not so clueless residents of Perfection, Nevada. As with all the films, the cast changes but the humor is still intact.

Gummer's sidekick, Tyler Reed (Victor Browne), is sort of a combination of the original Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon characters, and he does a good job as action hero and comic relief. Reed and Gummer play off each other rather well and compensate for each other's shortcomings.

The supporting cast is also entertaining and keep the story lines moving. There's a few recurring characters who provide a few laughs and in some cases villainy, every few episodes, including a greedy land developer with no conscience and a classic geek, who collects action figures and comics, knows incredible depths of movie trivia, and comes close to being eaten pretty much every visit to Perfection.

Give the show a chance! The cast is very professional, the writing is witty, and the special effects are just hokey enough to make a 50s horror movie maker proud.

It's Graboid season!!!

Author: Rattrap007 from Evansville, IN
29 March 2003

Beware the graboids. Stay on the pavement. El Blanco is on the loose, but that doesn't bother the citizens of Perfection Valley, Nevada (population 7). Just another typical day for them..

This series is based on the movie trilogy Tremors. It picks up where part 3 left off. Surprisingly the main charachters make returns (two with new actors, two without) plus a few new faces.

If you haven't seen the Tremors films I'll sum them up.

It all began with the original tremors film. The town was bigger then. About 12 people lived around there then. Till people started getting killed. Turns out to be giant killer worm like creatures aka Graboids who hunt through sensing seismic vibrations in the ground. Well they manage to survive by killing all the worms.

In the second Earl gets hired along with a new guy Grady, to kill Graboids in Mexico around an oil field. They enlist hte help of Burt Gummer, a citizen of Perfection, who is a paranoid gun nut who is ready for WWIII with his own bomb shelter and enough MREs to last a decade. Well he heads down armed to the teeth (Thanks to the Mexican Gov.) and they kill lots of graboids.. till the change... into Shreikers. New ballgame now. They hatched little creatures the size of a large turkey. They run on two legs and hunt through heat vision. Well they survive.

In the third movie we return to Perfection. A couple more grabois show up. One is an albino. The government wants to stop the killing of the graboids because they are considered an endangered species. Well the worms turn into shreikers again, but then they change again.. into a new form. They blast fire out of their rears through a chemical reaction and launch them selves into flight. They are dubbed Assblasters (Buttlaunchers was another proposed name). Well Burt it smart. He knows that they can't do anything to them if the area is protected. He lets the albino worm live thus making Perfection Valley.

The series picks up where part 3 left off. Some charachters from the series moved on to better things. Val left to marry the Geologist after part one, Grady and Earl went to make a theme park based on the graboids, and Jack, the Graboid Safari tour guide, moved to Vegas. Melvin, as we learned in part 3, is now a real estate agent. He wants to turn Perfection Valley into his own town.. Melville. But as long as El Blanco, the albino graboid, is around that can't happen.

The series is like a Tremors version of Smallville. Strange things happen. In one episode a giant ghostly bacteria attacks sucking the water out of people. Plus there is always the potential (and there will be) more graboid, shreiker, and assblaster sightings.

I give this series an 8/10. The only problem I had was the jerky fast moving camera work during the graboid attacks. Other wise a big thumbs up!

A GREAT Series for the Tremors Fan.

Author: Mark Wong from Sacramento, CA
31 March 2003

Just a great series that is as much fun as the movie series.

For the avid Tremors fan, this series is a dream come true. Sure, the Graboids are what the films are about, but the real draw to the films is the characters. They do an excellent job of intertwining characters and plot lines from the films into the series. Past story lines are are strongly connected between the movies and the series, and all the "pieces fit together".

The series continues the story line of what happens next to the characters, and their lives. Not necessarily all Graboids, but life with a Graboid alway there.

You are drawn into the series, making you feel you are a character in the series, fully aware of the Graboid "routine".

If you haven't seen the films, go out and rent all three of them (and I mean all three). I doubt you can really appreciate the series unless you understand the past history of the characters of Perfection Valley. They throw in so many references from the films, that a lot of the dialog might seem like an inside joke with you on the outside.

Maybe they were not the best films. Maybe it is not the best series, but you have to love Michael Gross as Burt Gummer. Go Burt!

How do I begin?

Author: xenomorph44
24 July 2009

Maybe I can start by saying that this was THE GREATEST TV SHOW EVER MADE!, but that might be a little bit of an understatement. I remember 6 years ago watching this show every Friday night, and loving it! Before that, all I used to watch on TV was cartoons. Now, when one of my favorite movie series ever was being made into this show, I couldn't miss out. I even taped every episode on a blank VHS tape so, to this day, I can watch them whenever I choose. I remember the day after Christmas marathon that, unfortunately, I couldn't watch completely, but that brought me even more great news with the announcement of Tremors 4: The Legend Begins. I really wish this show lasted more than 13 episodes, and concept art was even found of an episode that never was. I still hope this great series gets a DVD release like it deserves. I know that I will buy it.

A Surprisingly Fun Show

Author: Aldran (riceman2000@yahoo.com) from Plymouth, New Hampshire
12 April 2003

Long before Tremors: The Series actually aired, I saw many comments on how bad everyone thought the show was going to be. Considering how far the movies dropped off (Though Tremors 3 was a step up from 2), few felt any good would come out of trying to squeeze whatever life was left out of the Tremors franchise.

Well, prepare to be amazed.

While Tremors: The Series is no masterpiece, it is a far cry better than one would have imagined. The cast continues to boast the very-entertaining Michael Gross, and while it isn't the same as the days of Ward and Bacon, this new group is nothing to be turned off by, and actually clicks rather well. There are several seasoned actors, which helps make the characters all the more believable, though they still can be rather rough around the edges.

The storyline, believe it or not, works. The series does indeed keep the continuum of previous movies (Though it focuses mainly on Tremors 3), and provides a storyline that is fast-paced and fun. There is rarely a dull moment in Tremors, combining a nice blend of comedy, action and emotion that will keep you interested and coming back for more.

If you're a Tremors fan, Tremors: The Series is a must see, but to anyone else, I still highly recommend giving the show a chance. You may just be surprised yourself.

Off To A Good Start So Far!

Author: mrpool03 from Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
28 March 2003

I have been waiting for Tremors The Series for some time and now that I just watched the first two episode, I feel pretty excited about what the future will bring. The first episode "Feeding Frenzy" was well done, a good introduction to the series, with Burt Grummer back once again! I was really impressed with the CGI effects done when El Blanco made his full debut. They has a side camera shot of the Graboid which was very impressive, even better than what I have seen in the films. The special effects were great but limited. It would have been great to see more but maybe this is a taste for things to come.

The cast of the show was all around good, even though some of the film actors could not come back and have been replaced. The best however was the excellent addition of Christopher Lloyd in the second episode! He was great, playing a never before known character in Perfection Valley, a hermit who has many mysteries but much knowledge when it comes to science. He seemed to fit right in perfectly with the show, can't wait to see more of him.

I will say that the first episode was better than the second, since the second focused on a 'ghost' creature and not a Graboid creature. However, the episode served a purpose for the future so I can understand why it works. You'll have to watch it and see.

Overall, I enjoyed the show and want to see more. It might not be quite like the movies, but it has a great quality about it. Hopefully, some of the techniques used in the series will be applied to the next film. If you like the films, I'm sure you'll enjoy the series!

Graboids,Shriekers,Assblasters,and much more

Author: aliv_73 from United States
25 January 2010

i have see all four Tremors movies i loved them all.when the show premiered i loved it.Burt was back as his usual suspicious of the government self.i loved the fact that the episodes deal with more than El Blanco.they have a ghost in a cave, and a secret lab lets not forget Christopher Loydd as a crazy scientist with many secrets.i can't believe that they at Canceled it.i liked that they referenced the third movie when the ass blaster escaped.i love that the little moron Melvin never gets what he wants.who would have thought that a brine shrimp could grow that big and look that ugly.i give this show two big thumbs up.i hope it comes out on DVD soon.

A great outing in this series

Author: Bo
6 April 2003

This is a great series and despite what some people have said it really goes well with the movies. The series starts off a little while after the last movie. Burt Gummer has rebuilt his compound a little and lives underground. Mindy has taken the money for the sale of the ass-blaster and gone back to college. Jack is off in Las Vegas living it up. They do have somebody differnt playing Jodi and Nancy but they do a great job. Having Christopher LLoyd as part of the cast is a great addition. He plays the part of an ex government scientist who created the Mixmaster DNA formula. What this is, we still don't know. It promises to be a great series and hopefully it gets the fan following it deserves.

Has good potential, but is seriously held back.

Author: razorwind42 from St. Louis
5 April 2003

I have to admit, I loved the tremors movies. The first one was the best, the second one was not as good as the first but was still a good movie, while the third one didnt impress me much. When i saw the preview for "Tremors the Series" on the Sci-Fi channel one night, I was excited yet skeptical. I love the concept, but i didnt see how they could make an expanded series off what little story line was left after the third movie. But hey, you cant judge a series like that, the writers might have some great ideas up their sleeves so I decided to give it a go. I watched the first episode and I was quickly dissapointed, not by the script or the acting.

It is the camera work and the FX that are really holding this show back. In the movies all the graboid action was clearly shot with steady camera work. It was fast paced and clear. However the series has some of the worst camera control i have ever seen. The camera is constantly jerking around during the intense action scenes. It is so bad sometimes that you have a real hard time telling what is going on.

Possible Spoilers Ahead

Also, this show must not have a large budget for the special effects and CGI. I usually dont mind bad special effects just as long as they dont really bring the picture down. However, the CGI in the show is downright horrible. The graboids are blurry and undefined. Take the bad CGI and add a camera that is bouncing all over the place and you have some total garbage. For example in the first episode a graboid breaks up under the floor in Jodi's store. The graboid is so blurry and the camera jerks around so much that you cant tell simple things like how far away it is from the people.

Also their is a serious "lack" of graboids. For Example, in episode 3, Burt spots a shrieker up on a ridge. Scene shows burt raise his gun, then for about 1/10 of a second, they show the shrieker. THen immediately cut back to burt. Also later on Burt, Tyler, and Rosalita are standing together with fully automatic guns mowing down a wave of shriekers. Camera zooms in on burt, switches to tyler, then to rose, then back to burt. You never actually see the shriekers they are shooting at.

This show can work. But for the love a god, fire the cameraman and get some more money for the CGI! Or else, it will kill itself.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]