IMDb > The Great Raid (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Great Raid

The Great Raid More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 19: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

functional war movie but scattered among various plots

Author: SnoopyStyle
13 November 2014

In the notorious POW camp at Cabanatuan in occupied Philippines, the Japanese hold about 500 American prisoners who had survived the Bataan Death March. The Japanese are getting orders to liquidate the prisoners. Over the course of 5 days starting at Jan 27, 1945, Lieutenant Colonel Mucci and Captain Prince (James Franco) lead the 6th Ranger Battalion along with the Alamo Scouts and Filipino guerrillas to liberate the prison camp some 30 miles behind enemy lines. The movie switches back and forth between the rescue, people like Margaret Utinsky (Connie Nielsen) who is a nurse in occupied Manila, and the prison camp where men led by Major Gibson (Joseph Fiennes) suffer under Japanese brutality.

It's an old fashion traditional war movie. It does stray into melodrama from time to time. It's also scattered among the various character sideplots. The scale of production is just below epic. There are a lot of good actors at work. However that does make me question why Benjamin Bratt is cast as the soldier in charge of the rescue. That seems to be the more important role and a more established actor like Fiennes should be doing it. This would work better if the movie picks between a prison movie or a rescue movie and put Fiennes in the lead of either. The final rescue action is done well and the movie is generally good but not great.

Good for a B-Grade Movie

Author: ghasl1 from Canada
21 March 2012

This was a good movie to watch I recommend it if you know what the story is about or even read books about it, I knew they weren't going to go into every single detail of what happened because it would be too much to put in the movie. Although it won't be close to the real thing with gore, brutality and historical accuracy you have to consider the movie went for over two hours and was made on a budget you should know this beforehand when you watch the movie don't expect it to be like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan.

Don't be discouraged by critics if they say its boring, in my opinion it was the opposite and the film was engaging all the way through dialogue and action with a steady pace. I don't expect the acting or portrayal to be Oscar winning but it wasn't so contrived as having an American teaching filipinos of "this is how it's done" with an American flag flying in the background in the end. So not for propaganda use. They didn't ignore the filipino support in the daring raid and at least showed some acknowledgement to all the war heroes, even at the end of the movie with a dedication.

Even if the movie flopped in the box office nobody watches war movies but it's there if people have a pique interest and its better than most B-Grade movies put out today. If you liked or disliked the Pacific Series you should watch The Great Raid afterwards.

A war movie to learn about

Author: Luigi Di Pilla from Riehen, Switzerland
10 October 2010

I noted this war movie in the box offices and I'm wondering why such a film hasn't been shown in our theaters in Europe. I found the story very interesting because it is based on true events about the greatest rescue plan for prisoners in the American history. It was never annoying because there were many plots and turns. It's a question of courage, humanity and honor.

The music was wonderful and the direction from John Dahl superb. All the actors delivered here a great performance. Especially Benjamin Bratt, Joseph Finnes and Connie Nielsen convinced me in their roles. I hope to see more from them in future. Then the cinematography was fine too.

I am glad having seen THE GREAT RIDE because it opened again my eyes how hard the soldiers fought for surviving, liberation and freedom in the last world war and how much they suffered far away from their friends or families. In my opinion it's a must see for every one and I give a solid 7/10.

Small story, GREAT FILM

Author: clivecollett from United Kingdom
12 March 2010

The people who slam a film like this really are sad. Probably desensitised to the point that they really neeeed horrific scenes graphically shown. I purchased this film for a few pounds only, expecting a second rate attempt at some small scale event in history. Yes, to some this was a small event in the great conflict, but to those who took part, in combat, rescued, reunited with loved ones, it was probably the most poignant time of their entire lives. I knew nothing of this rescue until a few days ago; now I am looking forward to learning more of the actual events. This DVD will stay in my collection, and rank alongside the greatest war films in my collection. Perhaps I am easily pleased.......I don't care really. I do know that I was entertained, riveted, absorbed, and proud to have been born into generation liberated by the sacrifice of soldiers like these. Anyone who slags off a film because the uniforms were not right, or the props were of a later time, really don't have a clue. Just to end, I thought the real footage of these rescued people and the soldiers involved was just the icing on the cake.

Overlooked

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
29 November 2009

I have not read the book, though I will now consider it. It's bitterly ironic that a new film dealing with a seldom told piece of recent history will be so under-appreciated. I purchased this on DVD along with three other war movies that not an awful lot of people know, and this was one of the two of them that I had never heard of before. Apart from Joy Ride, which is a reasonable enough horror flick, I haven't watched anything else by this director, but he's clearly talented. This is engaging and interesting from start to finish. The editing and cinematography are excellent. This has intense and exciting sequences, and it's certainly not boring for a second. It's well-paced throughout. The plot develops nicely throughout. Acting is great, ignore the fact that there are next to no "names" in this. It is also very notable that this is fair to both sides, and without toning down the atrocities(...any more than most things coming out of Hollywood do). No one is demonized, and the facts are presented almost without exception. The production values leave nothing to be desired. On the DVD is an informative commentary track by several important crew members, as well as a handful of trailers. There is gruesome, bloody violence, disturbing content and infrequent moderate to strong language in this. I recommend this to anyone who is old and mature enough to handle it. 7/10

better the second time round

Author: trojans7 from Australia
14 November 2009

watch this movie about a year ago thought it was good then but i watch it again today and i found myself becoming engrossed in the movie all over again.

a very good war film with solid story and a quality production that puts you there in a pow camp and in the jungles of the pacific. i live not far from where the film was made and i must say i didn't recognize it.

a must see for ww2 buffs who think they have seen it all, this has to be seen. being that it was a flop at the cinemas, many don't no of it or seen it in the video shop.but don't let that put you off seeing it because it flop. there are many reason's a movie flops. it should become a cult movie in the war genre because its that good.

Simply Amazing

Author: Richmond Sim from Philippines
22 September 2012

My friend told me about this movie and said that this was shot in the Philippines and is quite good for the genre of war films, so I pursued finding a DVD to watch this and find it myself whether it really is good or not.

The whole film technically was about journeying towards the end of the second world war where American soldiers were trapped and they are to be rescued. However, the film went beyond the storyline which made it better. It showed not only friendship but camaraderie, and showed not only battalions but brotherhood.

The actors really did well, including local actors coming from the Philippines. They really did raised the tension on the part of the audience. I, for one, was so affected.

I understand that darkness added to the effects of the film, but how I hope they added some lights on most scenes because it was quite difficult for viewers to watch long dark scenes. It appeared to be very dull and thus the interest of viewers is slowly fading out.

I also have noticed some goofs on geography. They could have researched more on this because it was a big turn off especially for Filipinos watching who really does know the proper names of the places.

However, despite some criticisms, I'd still give it 8 because the whole package was tough and rough, but is very good to watch.

A Tribute To Americans And Filipinos During World War II

Author: Desertman84 from United States
31 October 2011

The Great Raid is a World War II film about the Raid at Cabanatuan that located in the Philippines.It was adapted from William Breuer's book of the same name.It stars Benjamin Bratt, Joseph Fiennes, James Franco, Connie Nielsen, Motoki Kobayashi and Filipino actor,Cesar Montano. It tells the story of the liberation of the Cabanatuan Prison Camp by the US Military with the help of Filipino guerrillas.It is directed by John Dahl.

During the waning days of World War II,General Douglas MacArthur chose to make good on a pledge that he made in 1942 that he would return to the Philippines after he and his troops were forced to retreat. However, MacArthur's determination was more than a matter of pride. Over 500 American soldiers were being held in Cabanatuan, a notoriously brutal prisoner of war camp in the Philippines operated by the Japanese army, and MacArthur wanted to see to it that they made it home. MacArthur chose Lt. Col. Henry Mucci to lead the Sixth Ranger Battalion on a mission 30 miles behind enemy lines to infiltrate Cabanatuan and liberate the American prisoners. With the help of Capt. Prince, Mucci leads his men on a life-or-death raid against forces known for their savagery with the help of Filipino guerrillas.

The conclusion of the movie,which was the raid of the prison camp,was well-done by the filmmakers.Unfortunately,the film ran too long due to many subplots such as a love story before the raid.Had the film just focused on what it was suppose to be,it could have been shorter and probably would have become a brilliant film.The performances of the cast were worthy of merit especially Filipino actor,Cesar Montano in his first Hollywood film.In summary,The Great Raid would have become a great film had it focused on the raid itself.

A Good, but Generic War Film

Author: CountJohn from United States
20 November 2008

The Great Raid was based on the most successful rescue mission in US military history. It's the kind of solid war movie that used to be made ten times a year. While it doesn't do the event it's based on justice, it still manages to be fairly entertaining romp.

The acting is mostly sub-par. Not that it's amateurish, but it can be bland. James Franco is terribly boring, in what amounts to the lead role. Benjamin Bratt just does his usual Benjamin Bratt thing, playing a gruff colonial. Even Joesph Fiennes is a tad dull in this. Connie Nielson is the one standout, playing a American member of the Philipino resistance. The dialog is rather drab as well, which does not help matters.

Despite these objections the movie's climax is one of the best battle scenes ever filmed. It is thrilling, and the Japenese officers make great villains. The viewer feels as if the character's lives are truly hanging in the balance.

The Great Raid is well directed. It has the feel of a classic film. The problem is it does not have that one distinguishing element. It's not quite epic, doesn't show moral ambiguity, and while it is moving, The Great Raid doesn't inspire the way war movies of old have. The one truly unique sequence is its opening, where during a narration, the viewer is shown horrific vintage war footage that are some of the most graphic images ever put on screen. It looses its edge after that.

It may sound like I didn't like this movie, but I was entertained by it and found it a good use of two hours. But it won't be going into my DVD collection. If you are interested in seeing a true war story, or are just a sucker for war movie(as I am) The Great Raid will be a good use of your time.

What a great story - I'm glad someone has finally told it

Author: NCarolinaGirl from Greensboro, NC
8 September 2008

I had never heard an account of the rescue of the American POW's at Cabanatuan. WWII was over 20 years before I was born, so obviously I wouldn't have heard first hand accounts. But I would have thought in history lessons, or TV documentaries, somewhere I would have heard of this tale of extreme bravery and heroism. It is stories like these that make me proud to be an American and make me indebted to our men and women in the military.

I don't remember hearing about this movie when it was released in the theaters, so it must not have gotten great press. I just happened to have caught it playing on AMC today, and I am glad I did. It really is a compelling story, although I know some license was taken with the romantic angle between the major and Margaret.

The action was pretty intense and I have to say the shooting scenes were extremely realistic and graphic. It showed just how brutal the Japanese were in killing.

The cast did a good job. Connie Nielsen was quite gripping in her depiction of Margaret. I did think Bratt looked a little young to be playing a Lt. Colonel. I liked the soft, muted colors of the cinematography as it gave the film a dated, historical look.