IMDb > The Great Raid (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Great Raid

The Great Raid More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Excellent and outstanding. Hits the mark on a true war time action in WWII

Author: jimary56 from Florida
14 August 2005

The Great Raid has a beginning, a middle and an end. Tightly scripted and well acted by all concerned. A well turned look at a military action that was forgotten and only remembered by those who's lives were changed on that day. It's poor reception by critics is a puzzle and why it sat in the can for three years is an unknown. The rangers and the American POWs are the heroes in this movie. The action is stark and without pity although the "love" story was a slight distraction but the intent was to show that for many Filipinos, the American POWs were not forgotten and would be helped even though the Japanese response was normally brutal and without mercy. The audience that viewed the picture with my wife and I were mostly older military retirees and many cried at what was being showed. Most stayed until all the movie credits were completed, something one normally doesn't see. This is a must see movie because the raid was true and this movie depicts it well. The 500 US POWs freed by this raid had been forgotten by all except the 6th Ranger Bn. Howaa.

A REAL War Epic

Author: mrgman from United States
14 August 2005

An excellent movie depicting a REAL event. A well portrayed war yarn that is not over the top. This is the way movies should be made. John Dahl did a great job as did the entire cast. If you are looking for Spielberg, Hanks, Dsvid Lean, or big dollar CG this movie is not for you. If you are interested in a SOLID film based on a overlooked war even this movie will definitely satisfy.

Let's face it there are very few war films made these days and this one is TOPS. Henry Mucci's character as well as the 6th Rangers preparation for the raid could have been better developed but the overall depictation of this historic event is well done.

The Great Raid

Author: aleq483 from Manila, Philippines
11 August 2005

Spoilers...

I watched this film yesterday (First Day) and all I could say is that it exceeded my expectations. The length of the movie did not bother me because the scenes were executed finely and according to some of the reviews I read, was at most historically accurate. With regard to the cast, a lot of character development came from James Franco (Spider-Man), and supporting roles from Benjamin Bratt (Catwoman) and Ralph Fiennes (Shakespeare in Love). Of course our very own Cesar Montano (Jose Rizál) who was very "brown" and symbolically represented the "guerilleros" at that time was always at his best. One of the strongest and breath-taking scenes were showing the City of Manila, with a street filled with streetcars (named Meralco), churches, business establishments and the Pasig River which was the gateway of commerce. It was mentioned at the movie how magnificent the city was and why it was called the "Pearl of the Orient" because it served as a link between Europe, The Americas and Asia. Signs of corruption were evident. There were some inconsistencies in the Tagalog dialect but overall the film justified what happened back then. :-)

Excellent!

Author: pied from Ohio
18 September 2005

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Based on actual events, The Great Raid tells of the rescue of 500 American POW's interred in the Philippines by the Japanese. The Japanese, during WWII were fanatical fighters and brutal captors. They considered surrender dishonorable not only for themselves but for anyone who surrendered to them. To be a prisoner of the Japanese during WWII was to suffer.

These 500 Americans were scheduled for execution by burning as hundreds of prisoners had perished before them.

Another overlooked fact about the war in the Pacific was the bravery of the Philippine people, both their soldiers and civilians.

This movie hasn't been a big hit so far, but it deserves to be.

Reviews from professional critics are disappointing...

Author: tonysoppranose from United States
2 September 2005

Having read "Ghost Soldiers" I was interested in seeing this movie but on opening day not a single theater in my county was running it. Eventually a Regal theater in the next town had it and I went to a matinée where every other moviegoer (all 15 of them) was over the age of 75. No, this isn't a moneymaker, but it is a salute the greatest generation....

Of course that's why the professional reviews were so poor. Professional reviewers today are not of the greatest generation, they're of the 60s generation. The 60s generation condemns the film as "propoganda" with "negative Japanese stereotypes", when the reality is Japanese brutality was much more horrific than shown in this film. I'm sure the use of the word "Jap" in the film also made them cringe. (As an aside, it's Japanese-Americans who are on a crusade to rid the world of the term, not Japanese.) In my opinion, this film is better than Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line. It's the best American made Pacific War film I have scene since Empire of the Sun. Read one of the books on which the film is based and then go see it. The differences are minimal.

This movie should be required viewing in all high school classrooms.

Exciting and heart-wrenching American POW action-drama plus the heroes who rescue them: U.S. troops, Filipino guerrillas and the civilian underground.

Author: (emvinluan-1) from United States
15 August 2005

The classic World War II POW film is "Stalag 17" and now "The Great Raid" can join those ranks. Movie audiences have had many examples of war-torn European cities so it is significant to complete that visual history with pictures of wartime Manila. Presenting the role of the Filipino guerrillas and underground network playing their crucial role in the war also makes history more complete.

Great care was taken with the cinematography that gives a feel for the historical period with sepia tones. I appreciated the fact that this film was not used as a vehicle for a Hollywood celebrity's career nor used as mindless entertainment, like empty calories. I was surprised to find out later how long the movie actually was because it didn't seem that long; it was well paced, always filled with something interesting -- story-wise and visually.

My Filipino uncles were guerrillas who fought in that war, survived the Bataan Death March, and they were realistically presented -- finally! Now hopefully, the world will give Filipino World War II veterans their rightful recognition AND,coincidently, return veterans' benefits which the U.S. Congress denied or reneged on immediately after World War II. Because even though they fought under the U.S. flag and U.S. military leadership, Filipino World War II veterans were treated unjustly when it came to getting medical treatment at U.S. military veterans hospitals and the other usual veterans benefits (pensions, etc.). These veterans and their advocates and Filipino community activists have held protest demonstrations and presented legislation to Congress to have their veterans benefits restored. This movie shows why they deserve it!

Saw special (History Channel?) & director on Fox prior to Movie - Excellent

Author: Tom C from United States
13 August 2005

Prior to seeing the movie, my son and I were lucky enough to catch 2 events on TV; a special on the historical accuracy of the movie (we believe it was the History Channel), and the director on Fox (Fri night with Oliver North).

The movie was even more powerful knowing that everything in the movie (with the exception of the love theme) was accurate - timing, casualties, key participants, everything. Knowing that there was no Hollywood enhancement to the overall event made it even more compelling.

If you're a history buff or just like movies that "get it right", I would strongly recommend seeing this movie.

Seems this may have been on the shelf for a little while. I'm glad they decided to bring it out. Good stuff!!

Excellent Movie: GO SEE THIS MOVIE

Author: surdavid2004 from United States
15 August 2005

My wife & I saw the movie on opening weekend. We don't go to the movies very often any more, because most of what is produced is garbage. This was a fast-moving, dramatic movie. It is on par with "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers", and "The Longest Day". It was refreshing, and a great relief, to see a movie that portrayed Americans as heroes, instead of "the bad guys". It was not concerned about portraying the Japanese as the enemy. This is not a "politically correct" movie (maybe that's why the reviews have not been 4 stars). I noticed a few seniors in the theater, and wondered, since I'm in a military retirement town, if any had participated in this "Great Raid". The Pacific Theatre has not received as much recognition as the war in Europe. I rarely purchase DVDs, but this is one I intend to buy, and watch again and again. In short, GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

2 Thumbs Up!!!!

Author: humantorch125 from United States
14 August 2005

I've just returned from this movie a few hours ago and I have to admit, this is by far one of the best war films ever made! Since this movie is based on true events I think everyone should see it to get a better understanding of what some of our soldiers went through in World War 2. They must have made this movie very accurate to the real thing because I was sitting next to an old couple in the theater and they were crying throughout almost the entire film, so I believe that they might have actually been in World War 2. Aside from that though, the movie itself is unbelievable. The acting is close to perfection, the cinematography is flawless, and the score finishes off very nicely. I advise anyone who has not seen this movie to get to your local theater A.S.A.P.

Very Good Movie

Author: rvenezia from United States
10 August 2005

The best World War II movie dealing with the Pacific Theather of the war. I saw a sneak peek of the movie on Saturday. The movie is a stirring tribute to the 6th Ranger Regiment and the prisoners of wars in the Cabanatuan camp. In American military history never had so many Americans surrendered at one time then surrendered in 1942 in the Philippines. After the surrender of the American soldiers on Philippines, they were put through three years of hell. From the Japanese mistreatment and murder of prisoners and the lack of food and water the prisoners had almost lost hope.

At the beginning of the movie there was a very sad and moving scene showing Japanese soldiers butchering and burning alive 150 American POWS at Palawan. The whole rest of the movie shows the 6th Ranger Regiment moving towards their objective to free 513 American and Allied prisoners of war at Cabanatuan, and the inside of the camp.

The last 30 minutes of the movie probably was the best ending in any movie I've seen in a while. The Raid was well shoot and was moving. By the end of the movie, nearly everyone in the movie theater was crying or at least shedding a few tears. The movie was probably one the best of 2005.