IMDb > The Great Raid (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Great Raid

The Great Raid More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Decent, but many imitating references to prior related movies

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
15 December 2013

The main strength of this movie is being based on real events and names. The plot, however, is uneven, with a few intertwined story-lines with unequal weight and smoothness: preparation for liberation, life in POW camp, resistance activities, liberation itself. Following all this, we see many similarities with approaches from e.g. The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Thin Red Line, Pearl Harbor - and without upgrade or distinctive twists... There are some protracted and arid scenes, tensions tend to decrease at times. The cast is even, both no prevailing performances; Marton Csokas as Capt. Redding and Connie Nielsen as Margaret Utinsky seemed most interesting to me.

All in all, an okay war movie, but no great experience. I would recommend the ones named above instead.

Extras

Author: mikealan from United States
30 March 2011

In addition to the movie, the extra material on the DVD is excellent. The "timeline" should be mandatory viewing as most folks are NOT aware of the chain of events going back to the 1930's. Those details are not taught in High School or college. They are NOT complimentary to FDR by the way. The boot camp section is enlightening too. It is amazing that the whole crew of actors including Mr Franco went through it. Now that is method acting!

My only complaint about the film is that the deleted scenes were deleted. They add much to the story and the information does not otherwise appear in the movie. Be sure to plan to spend at least 3.5 hours to see both the movie and the special items on the DVD.

A Truly Great Movie

Author: accts-836-237973 from United States
24 August 2013

I really don't understand why this movie did not receive critical acclaim. I am a big war movie person and have pretty much seen them all from the 1040's to the present. the account of the heroism of these rangers and Filipino freedom fighters is truly inspiring and makes me shiver like when I hear the national anthem. I think it is as good if not better than any war movie in the last twenty years. the subject alone is awe inspiring and the presentation of the entire story is unbelievable. the fact that it is a true story makes it all the more invigorating to watch. it's a movie you can definitely watch multiple times and get that patriotic feeling each time. in reading most of the bad reviews it seems like they are:

Anti American and American policy, even saw one quoting Bush politics and Iraq. saying it was American Propaganda, flag waving. thought I was back in the 60's when us soldiers would get spit on.

the movie wasn't perfect enough for perfectionist movie makers

Anti violence showing how brutal the Japanese were and they were that bad and worse. when I was young a friend of mines father had pictures of Japanese brutality in china like beheadings, etc. what is shown in the movie is mild compared to what the Japanese actually did to Americans and other people in countries they conquered. one person claimed it was being racist against Japanese.

if you eliminate all these BS low ratings the movie would probably be rated a 10.

one of the very few great war movies

Author: rishi_is_here-1 from Belgium
25 July 2008

There are bunch of war movies , some of them are ordinary, few of them are worth mentioning, and very few are great movies. This one belongs to the last category. Why ? First is Story ; well almost all WW movies are based on true stories and this one also, point is how vivid how convincing that is portrayed. This movie gets a rare 9/10 in story telling. Acting is second; all performances are solidly founded. No over dialogue, no weak acting, excellent camera work, convincing sets of 1945 Manila and prison camp. I simply don't find any weak point about this movie. Besides it has a strong and rendering love story which never sideways the actual rescue operation. My recommendation will be to collect this movie in your private collection of war movies just besides "Saving Private Ryan" and "Bridge On The River Kwai".

This is a great story and a great movie. One of my favorites.

Author: Metalbill1 from United States
11 October 2006

Just the fact that this is based on a true story and is a great movie makes me want to recommend this to teens, parents, and beyond. No, there are no star actors in this one. This is a feel-good movie, and eventually, as there are brutal scenes that are required to bring home the reality that was experienced by these men (boys), it is not for the very young.

It just did it for me. My Grandfather was there in the Phillippines at this time towards the end of the war.

Next time you are having a bad day, watch this one and thank these men for your having the chance to even have that bad day. Puts things into perspective.

The extras in this one are very good as they interview veterans of this campaign. There is included an interesting timeline of the events in the Pacific. Also, one of the books about this - "Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides is even better.

This is a great movie.

Author: magellan333 from Chattanooga, TN
7 January 2006

The Great Raid is a unique film. It is set during a time of war, but the focus is not on some great battle (ficticious or real), but about a mission carried out by a group of marines that served the war effort in only a minimal capacity. Viewers see three different sides of the mission. The films takes the audience inside the prison camp to see the wretched conditions the POWs had to endure, also seen is the marines preparing to embark on the great raid, which is being embarked upon so that the POWs may be rescued. Finally, the film shows the Phillipino rebels who were involved with the mission. It is based on actual events and gives a side of the second world war that is usually not portrayed in film.

Wonderful movie, a must for all so that the truth not be twisted

Author: knudsen-4 from United States
23 November 2005

I helped bring this movie to a small town where the theater companies didn't bother to send it out when it was released. With 2 FREE showings on Veterans Day, nearly 400 people saw this movie and not 1 person disliked it. Including one of the survivors of the Death March of Batann.

Mostly Vets and their families attended but the consensus was that the movie was exactly as it happened in WWII. Anyone that cant see past the minimal love connection parts, has blinders on. While there might have been a small romantic assumption, the reality was that those soldiers didn't have much else to hope for, other than their loved ones.

The recreation of the battle at the Camp was well directed and easy to follow as the commanders drew plans in the dirt with sticks. Even folks over 90 years old felt the movie portrayed everything they had recalled and heard from others that had served there.

Most viewers felt this movie should be mandatory for every high school senior to view to graduate as it tells the truth about the Bataan marchers. The DVD comes out on Dec. 20th and I will buy it.

Thanks to the studio for doing such a great job.

A Great War Movie

Author: crazytoledo from usa
18 September 2005

The Great Raid separates its self from your standard war movie fare. It doesn't have the main actor / actress that will win Oscar awards, it doesn't have the best musical score, and to top it all off, it doesn't run over 3 hours long.

The movie clocks in at around 2 and a half and it does a good job at what it's trying to do. It develops the background and the characters and throws in the plot so people will feel for the characters. In the end, it ends with some solid action, though the action takes a back seat to the story. While the movie uses less known actors, the acting is still solid and the movie is short quite well.

This movie has what it takes to do well, but was dumped and shows that the media doesn't understand what makes a movie good or bad. If you like war movies, I would highly recommend this movie.

********

Reialble Story of What Happened.

Author: P51Jay from United States
4 September 2005

Lawrence Bender Productions did quite well with this film. It portrays the heroics of the Phillipino People as well as the Americans, and reflects on a time when America was looked upon as the hope of the world. Americans came through and made good on that hope with the death of hundreds of thousands of young American men. Many people alive today question why we are in Iraq. I think they should see this movie to gain an understanding that this is what happens if we don't go in harm's way. I'm sure all of those American soldiers in the Second World War would have rather stayed at home with their families safe and sound, instead of dying on fogging soil. Where would we be today if they had stayed home. Would we have had the good lives that we enjoyed. See the movie and think!

The Great Raid typifies the heroism of the Greatest Generation

Author: tomholtom-1 (tomholtom@aol.com) from Newport Beach, CA
28 August 2005

Truth is stranger than fiction. The overt brutality of the Japanese Imperial Army In World War II cannot be exaggerated. The necessity of the Great Raid was undebatable. The exploits of the Army Rangers as they planned and rescued over 500 Americans who, somehow, lived through the Bataan Death March, is a compelling, worthy story.

In the past few years, there has been a resurrection of the WWII movie. Saving Private Ryan, U-571, and Band of Brothers on HBO have all shown incredible, heroic deeds. Heroes can be described as ordinary people who do extraordinary things during extraordinary times. To quote Winson Churchill at the end of WWII, "The country that does not honor its heroes soon will find itself with no heroes to honor."

The history of dedication and sacrifice that made this country does not seem to be taught any longer in our school history classes. We need more movies such as The Great Raid to remind us what the red and white stripes on our flag stand for.