IMDb > The Great Raid (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Great Raid

The Great Raid More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Forget Pearl Harbor, this is THE war movie.

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
1 September 2005

My brother was the first one to talk about this, I wasn't sure what to think so I decided to look out for it. Last week, I went into the mall, I saw this being advertised, and hearing it is a war movie, I decided to check it out. I missed the first credits, but that didn't really matter, about the film, I must say this was a very decent movie unlike the ones which were released the same day, it lived up to it's title and story, it was based on a book, what do ya know? Anyways back to the film, it tells the true story of the 6th Ranger Battalion, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Mucci who undertake a daring rescue mission against all odds. Traveling thirty miles behind enemy lines, the 6th Ranger Battalion aims to liberate over 500 American prisoners-of-war from the notorious Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp in the most audacious rescue ever, and audacious it sure was! The fight scenes were kinda impressive, and the scenes with the underground organization were okay, it showed accurately how the Japanese treated our people here during that time. Overall an impressive film, and Cesar Montano was convincing as a the captain of the Philippine forces and he did his role well. Recommended to all movie goers who would like to know about WWII in the Pacific, especially to the people of my city, and especially the Japanese people, even though others there might not get it, others would, at least it is more accurate, true, and this time it got the mark, unlike Pearl Harbor. But one more thing bothers me, why was this pushed back indefinitely by Miramax a few years ago? Was it because they wanted it to be in line with films 60 years after the war ended, or was it because of the war in Iraq? I hope the war in Iraq is not the reason, because this film is about World War 2.

Great movie all around. War is hell. WWII was no different.

Author: lsholli from United States
27 August 2005

I do not normally go to War type movies, but since my Dad enlisted in the US Army after Pearl Harbor and was stationed in the Phillipines, I thought I should go to see what he went through. You see, WWII Vets don't talk much about the 'Great War'. War is just too horrible.

So I went to see The Great Raid. It was awesome. The acting was great and the fact that it was a true story made it very poignant. Everyone in the theatre clapped after the movie was over.

I validated it with my Dad after I saw the movie that it actually happened and he said 'Yes. We processed the POWs on our ship'.

He remembers and has not mentioned it until now. Until I asked. It is true and it did happen. Kudos to the director and producer for bringing this to light and remembering something so important to our history.

A good America

Author: rgourdeau1 from United States
3 February 2007

I was very young when my Uncle Joseph Morin ( U.S.N.) came home from the war and Japanese prison camp. He was in the Bataan march and spent all of the war in a prison camp. Some of the things he told me were seen in this movie . He said that the Japanese soldiers were brutal. He very seldom talked about his years in the camps, but I know he suffered a lot. I enjoyed the movie an I hope that the American people never forget what happened .

I noticed all of the whip marks on his back and , he also lost his sight. When he was captured he weight over 240 lbs, we he came home he was at 130 lbs.

Bob Gourdeau, Georgia

Fair and accurate account of a true story

Author: cvclark-1 from United States
28 May 2006

This movie should be required viewing for high school history students. The R rating is for disturbing scenes of violence and torture, but the scenes are necessary to tell the story. Unfortunately, war is brutal and dangerous. It's important to educate young people of the true aspects of combat. This movie shows the realities of life both within a group of elite Army rangers given a daring, overwhelming rescue assignment and life within a Japanese POW camp in the Phillipines, survivors of the atrocities of the Bataan Death March who've felt both abandoned by their country and hopeful of rescue. Also depicted is the courage and faithfulness of the Phillipine underground. This film leaves you with an understanding of the quest for glory that has nothing to do with fame.

Great flick

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
10 February 2006

I listened to Ghost Soldiers on the road, about a 7 hour Book on CD. Just amazing how much these POW's suffered. It's impossible to do the story justice in two hours but this movie managed to get the point across. What it did not show is what the soldiers who were prisoners did during their three years. They apparently would do baseball make believe etc. to make the time pass and avoid Reality. Benjamin Bratt was amazing as the LTC. Benjamin Bratt did not act that much in this movie. However, Benjamin Bratt did deliver the goods. Joe Fienes was good also as Gibson. I was sad at how he suffered on the day of the rescue. Those darn Japs were so cruel!! They hated us for surrendering. However, they got their act together when we nuked them in August of 45!

Heroism and Gallantry

Author: jackkopsteinbso from Canada
4 September 2005

I had seen the trailers for this movie and read the book"Ghost Soldiers" which came out few years ago. This movie is perhaps one of the finest war epics I have seen and I must say I have seen many. I was unable to speak I was so overtaken with emotion when I came out of the theatre. Even now I am completely overtaken by the sheer ability of the men involved in the raid on the POW camp. It must stand as on of the greatest war stories ever told. The dedication along with the discipline necessary to carry out this effort to extract a forgotten and enslaved group of Americans must go down as one of the most heroic and gallant actions of the war. Staying close to the real story is often difficult in a movie but this was incredibly most like a docu-drama that I have ever seen. Hats off to the actors and everyone involved in this outstanding movie.

A Great Movie to see

Author: tango0 from United States
20 September 2005

This movie is one of the best I've recently seen. When I first sat down and the movie started, I thought "this is no Saving Private Ryan". And it isn't. But, it is not far from it. The action is very good, the acting believable, and the sense of truth is definitely there. Unfortunately (at least here in Boca Raton, Fl), the movie theatres downplayed it, the critics barely reviewed it and gave it not-so-good reviews and it was barely in the theater. If you saw it you were one of the lucky ones. My wife who doesn't really like this kind of film, came out of the theater and stated,"That was a wonderful movie". Boy, was I shocked. To hell with these over-paid "professional" critics and do yourself a favor. Judge a film by your standards. GO see this film. You won't be sorry. I can't wait to see it on DVD.

I love this Movie

Author: kevin_7981 from Philippines
3 September 2005

i love this movie, forget about what the heartless, bad commentaries of movie critics were saying. i admit the movie is not that quiet of "saving private Ryan" but set aside our amusement of gigantic, overly loaded actions, lets consider the wonderful details this film is offering us. not too many people know what had happen to those American and Filipino POW's under the hand of the Japanese. not even many, know where Cabanatuan is and if there's such place and such great stories to tell about heroism and military tactics US military ever known. lets just give the maker's a hand of approval by a SALUTE. i maybe one sided since this film is about the Philippine's, my native land and features the Philippine's premiere actor's and actresses in the which i never would have thought be part of a Hollywood film. but Americans should also be proud of this, because this tells one of the many brave stories ever told about the Americans. with this movie i regain somewhat of my nationalistic side of me, which was losing a bit due to political chaos and a shameful lost of integrity of our leaders in the country, not only speaking of the president but everyone on both sides. i can say this really brought back the love of my country.

A story worth telling but not told well

Author: R FC from New York
13 March 2006

I like a good war story but this is not one. The film has a Disney look and the characters all look like they're acting. It feels like it has all been done before and a lot better, especially by David Lean. With a feel of a Hollywood set,combined with a make-shift love story, I never became involved, except when the shooting starts in the last 20 minutes. Up until then, I had my finger on the fast forward button a great deal. The actual war footage, and the fact that the raid was based on a true story is all that keeps this film from being ignored. Such an event deserves to have been given a better director. I did enjoy the bonus materials much more as they had interesting interviews with the real POW's, and the time-line of the pacific war was a good synopsis of what occurred. Too bad the film was not as captivating.

Great movie!!! My new favorite for a long time to come.

Author: fxrt87guy-1 from United States
6 August 2005

Just returned from an early screening.

I read "Ghost Soldiers", and I think that the producers of this movie did a very good job of keeping the film as close to the actual story as is possible under the limitations of cinematic limitations.

As a New Mexican with family and friends who were at Batann and in the Death March (some survived, some didn't), and a former NM National Guardsman, I have always had a keen interest in this and any WWII Pacific Theater story.

There were many New Mexicans at Bataan, and they still honor them to this day there. I drove down Bataan Blvd. outside of Santa Fe to drill for years.

The father of my mother's best childhood friend was a Colonel in the NM National Guard (200th Coastal Artillery) who died in a camp there, and the father of my own best friend, who had never had a cavity in his life, lost all his teeth in a Japanese camp, and my uncle escaped capture and fought with the Filipino guerrillas for years.

In today's poly-cultural, politically correct world, Hollywood types don't usually like these kinds of stories, because they shine the light on another culture's brutality, so bravo to Ben Bratt. He does an admirable job of portraying Ltc. Mucci. I'm not familiar with the other actors, but they all did a great job. I'm surprised this movie was ever even made, let alone released (even if it was released late).

All in all, I think it's a great movie. I'm going to buy it as soon as possible and make my 19-year old daughter watch it. If kids her age could fight, she can certainly watch a movie about it.