IMDb > Good Boy! (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

For the dog lover

Author: Johnny Brooks from Nakuru, Kenya
10 March 2004

Good Boy

This is a movie for dog lovers. If you like dogs, than you most likely will like this movie. The dogs were great. They looked good. There seemed to be little to no CGI interference with the dogs. The human actors left a lot to be desired, but the movie really wasn't about them anyway. Dogs are from space. They were supposed to colonize Earth, but have instead become pets. The dogs from the home star get mad and want to take away the Earth dogs. That's the basic plot behind the movie. Good for kids and adults who like dogs. Dogs are cool animals and need more movies. Sure the movie was silly, but at least it had dogs in it.

Cute!

Author: zoe36 from Oklahoma
17 October 2003

I noticed this film got a low rating, maybe these people were not dog lovers. I thought the plot, if it was a plot, about the the "alien" dog was a little thin but the dogs were wonderful, the boy was great. Sometimes it's just good to go to the movies the enjoy a sweet little no-nonsense film that's just there for pure entertainment. I was entertained.

Good dog, good boy, good movie.

Author: Juni78ukr (juni78ukr@yahoo.com) from Odessa, Ukraine
24 March 2004

I have seen this movie today. Whatever critics say, it's not a bad movie overall. I think Good Boy is a must see movie for dog lovers, very good movie for kids and above average funny and enjoyable movie for adults.

Plot looks not great but have some of originality. It's not simply a dogs movie, it's a cute heart-warming movie about friendship and loyalty not only between dogs and human, but between people too. Acting are not bad, young Liam Aiken have reasonably good performance. Typical PG movie - without any violence and profanity with some crude humor. So , it's a good movie for whole family. Clearly, not great, but worth to see or at least to rent.

6,8 out of 10, but if I would be a few years younger, I could rate it higher.

It's My Dog Skip meets E.T.

Author: mack3175 from Metairie, Louisiana
19 October 2003

This is a very entertaining lighthearted film, it's for anybody who has a pet. 12 year old Owen Baker(Liam Aiken) is a very lonely boy, who's best friends so far seem to be the neighbors dogs he walks everyday. Owen really wants one of his own. One day his parents take him to the pound to get one. He finds a cute dog and names him Hubble. But Owen slowly discovers, this is no ordinary dog. Who just happens to be a very intelligent dog from outer space. A pure delight for the whole family. Matthew Broderick is also good as the voice of Hubble. It's funny and delightful. Please don't quit making movies like this.

Overall, a cute movie with some mild crude humor.

Author: bs201v from Albuquerque, NM
16 March 2004

I thought that the plot was pretty creative, as was the writing. Two or three jokes related to bodily functions, but mostly they were cute jokes with creative insight on what a dog might say to us if we could understand them. Also, some creative insight on what a dog's place is in this world and who is really in charge of who. Some of the acting was a little stale(no academy awards here), but most of the acting was good to very good. My test is the "suspension of dis-belief" test. Can I forget reality long enough to accept the story line and think of the actors as the characters they are portraying? The answer here was yes. The acting was good enough that I suspended my dis-belief and was able to enjoy the story line and the humor. My kids are 7 and 4 1/2 and they loved it. For them, I will almost surely end up buying it. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Good Boy ? Good Movie !!!!

Author: Robert Vann Smith (robertvannsmith@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
12 October 2003

I went to see this movie because I am a fan of Liam Akin's.

I wasn't expecting much out of the movie, though.

But the movie turned out to be better than I expected.

It had a few flavors of "Benji" and "The Cat From Outter Space" mixed into it.

A definite must-see for people who have children or nieces and nephews.

Judge it for what it is

Author: meberts from Los Angeles
16 October 2003

This movie is a little better than OK. It's wholesome entertainment that makes the not-terribly-original point that people and dogs have a special bond. And maybe it says a little about the alienation some children feel when growing up in a two-career suburban family.

The boy at the center of the film, Owen, is pleasant without stealing the show from the talking dogs. The girl who befriends him is equally pleasant and also not a show-stealer. The two boys who torment our hero and the dogs are sort of standard issue neighborhood bullies. Owen's dad is a stereotypical clueless father.

Owen's mom, however, is an interesting character. I think she's being played as an essentially decent woman who is too caught up in her real estate wheelings and dealings to notice that her son is lonely and a little depressed. However, to me she comes off as really creepy: a rootless, valueless suburban capital gains huckster who would sell the family home (and her son's happiness) in an instant it there was a buck to be made in it.

So why is this movie a little better than average? Well, the dogs are fun. The voice-over work is nicely-cast (old trooper Carl Reiner is especially good), the dogs get some funny lines, and some good computer work makes the dogs look pretty convincing at mouthing their lines.

I decided to write this because I'm annoyed with the review this movie got in the L.A. Times. It's their right to pan any movie, of course, but it bugs me when a reviewer dismissively puts down a movie like this because it's no Citizen Kane, or even Citizen Canine. Well, gee, it's a talking dog movie. It's not supposed to be deep.

I actually liked this movie!

Author: Jay Shin from Seoul, S. Korea
8 February 2005

I actually liked this movie. When I first read this page, I thought that this was just some lame movie which could only be found at the very back row of a video store. When I happened to catch this movie on TV by accident, I found that this movie was actually really touching. Okay, the acting could definitely need some improving, but the dogs were cute, the story charming, and there were some witty lines now and then. And, anyway, if I wanted to catch good acting, I would have went for something like "Closer" or "Girl, Interrupted". If you want a nice charming movie with cute dogs, check this out! Overall, a nice family movie!

Cute Flick for the open-minded

Author: Kristin Marie (meeris) from New Joisey
17 May 2004

Something that totally drives me up the wall is when adults go into movies like this expecting "Gone With the Wind". It's a KIDS movie...the plot will be light, the acting maybe not so hot, and the jokes a bit lame at times. That is expected. You have to take each movie for what it is trying to achieve. This movie is trying to be a fun two hours without taking itself too seriously. And it does that very well. I am an educated movie-goer and I enjoyed this film very much. The actors chosen to provide the voices for the dogs were well selected and I am hoping to see more out of Liam Aiken in the next few years.

Cute dogs, cute laughs, cute movie.

You have to go home and hug your dog after seeing it.

Author: dianacarey-1 from Livermore CA
9 November 2003

This movie is for people who share their lives and home with there puppy-people. Those who do not like dogs, or those who think dogs are "just pets" need not bother as they would not understand it. This movie held all warmth and love that a dog could possibly share with it's person.

I have seen it three times and I have gone home and hugged my dogs each time. As soon as it comes out on video I am going to get it so we can watch it together.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]