Excellent animation built on popular opera fragments.
Like Fantasia (1940) or Allegro Non Troppo (1977), L'Opéra Imaginaire (1993) is an assembly of animated short films based on classic music greats. Directed by some of the best European animators and artists, L'Opéra Imaginaire takes us through dance, theater, music and painting masterpieces. It uses several animation techniques, like stop-motion clay animation or CG characters.
There are 12 shorts, held together by a 3D character host, guiding us through a 3D opera house.
01) VESTI LA GIUBBA, directed by Ken Lidster, music from PAGLIACCI by Ruggiero Leoncavallo (1858-1919).
02) LA DONNA È MOBILE, directed by Monique Renault, music from RIGOLETTO by Giuseppe Verdi (1813-1901).
03) CARMEN, directed by Christophe Vallaux and Pascal Roulin, music from CARMEN by Georges Bizet(1838-1875).
04) VOI CHE SAPETE, directed by Pascal Roulin, music from THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791).
05) MADAME BUTTERFLY, directed by Jonathan Hills, music from MADAME BUTTERFLY by Giacomo Puccini (1858-1924).
06) PEARLFISHERS, directed by Jimmy T. Murakami, music from LES PÊCHEURS DE PERLES by Georges Bizet(1838-1875).
07) DU ALSO BIST MEIN BRAÜTIGAN?, directed by Raimund Krumme, music from THE MAGIC FLUTE by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791).
08) CINDERELA, directed by Stephen Palmer, music from LA CENERENTOLA by Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868).
09) LE VEAU D'OR, directed by Hilary Audus, music from FAUST by Charles Gounod (1818-1893).
10) NOI SIAMO ZINGARELLE, directed by Guionne Leroy, music from LA TRAVIATA by Giuseppe Verdi (1813-1901).
11) LAKMÉ, directed by Pascal Roulin, music from LAKME by Léo Delibes (1836-1891).
12) E LUCEVAN LE STELLE, directed by José Abel, music from TOSCA by Giacomo Puccini (1858-1924).
My copy of this film, a 1993 VCD, dedicates L'Opéra Imaginaire to the memory of Portuguese animator José Abel, the director of the 12th piece, deceased 1993.
9 of 9 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?