Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
Page 5 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Mean Spirited

Author: mrskywalker from Chicago
27 July 2003

I so looked forward to this film. I liked the first one better than most people. I thought this would be great. It started good with great scenery and powerful music. Jolie commands the screen the best of all modern actresses.

But as the film progresses we see changes to Lara. After she stabs one guy in the foot she smiles and says "nice" etc.. She is kind of sadistic and is not the hero of the first. Naturally the villain is middle aged British. But he seems no match for her so no real conflict. The worst part is bringing in a ex boyfriend making this soap opera time. The heavy graphic kissing scene is definately not for youngsters and so out of place. I thought it would pick up at the end but it ended with a dud. I am a croft fan and I wanted so much more.

A Great and Funny Adventure of Lara Croft

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
21 March 2004

The evil scientist Jonathan Reiss (Ciarán Hinds) is trying to get the Pandora Box to release death around the world. Lara Croft (Angeline Jolie) joins to the mercenary and former love Terry Sheridan (Gerard Butler), trying to avoid Jonathan to achieve his objective. This is a very funny action movie. Of course it is not cerebral, but the story is not so bad, and the action scenes are very well choreographed and the locations around the world are magnificent. I personally did not like the fake British accent of Angeline Jolie, since it does not fit with her. But this film is much better than the last James Bond movies, it is not so good as the Indiana Jones ones, but it in the same level of `The Mummy' or `The Scorpion King". For this type of action movie, It is a worthwhile entertainment. It is ridiculous that a viewer expects to think about anything watching `Tomb Raider'. When I want to think, I see an Ingmar Bergman's (one of my favorite directors) or any art film. Yesterday, for example, I saw `L' Emploi du Temps', a movie about the sad and bitter face of the unemployment in the middle age. When you see a movie like that, you think, reflect, judge the character and the situations. But when I watch `Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life', I certainly expect to laugh, to have a light entertainment and lots of fun. The scene where she punches a shark probably is the funniest in this good movie. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): `Lara Croft Tomb Raider: A Origem da Vida' (`Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Origin of Life')

Is it hot in here or is it just me?

Author: allielamar from northern new mexico
16 November 2003

All movies are "10" before the opening credits roll. Add a point for the Chinese Spongesquare Bob. And four points for whatever the hell those things were! Take off two points for peeking. And three points for what happened just before that (for crying out loud, Lara, he was gonna put it back). So that leaves us with "10"! Are you sure this is how Pauline Kael got started?

GO GIRL!!!

Author: littlerasco from rural Utah
22 October 2003

I have to write in my two cents here, because well, the general consensus is pretty bad. people seem to love the movie or hate it, and most often hate it. For a film that averages 5 out of 10 stars, that `five' has got to be an average that nobody really voted for. In my quick perusal of the comments and the voter breakdown, this seems to be a movie that the girls go for far more than the guys, yet the guys write in and vote about ten to one, over the girls. We girls are way under represented here, so I want my vote counted. I gave it seven stars. I should have given it ten to just help the balance here, but I reserve that score for a `must see'. This movie was just enjoyable escapism, nothing heavy, and a good time. How often do you see a chick pull off the `save the world' routine?? Guys have done this over and over again. give us girls a break and let us have some fun once in awhile, huh?! She always looks great (wears GREAT clothes) is smart, intelligent, and can stand up to anyone or anything . is that TOO scary??!! (She beats Xena, Warrior Princess any day, not to mention the silliness of Charlie's Angels.) The sets and special effects were gorgeous, the fighting sequences were as good as any James Bond flick, AND it's about time girls got represented in the big world of action, slash adventure.

Move over Bond, Lara is here!

Author: davahuuk from England
23 August 2003

OK first off, too make a point. British film = released first in American? What the hell?

Anyway Croft is back, in an entertaining if forgetble action adventure. There is some moral plot, but all you need to know is Lara wants an artifact, and someone is out to stop her.

Jan De Bont takes ellements from some of the most recent action hits such as the MAtrix, but borrows heavily from the Bond series. In fact this film is better then Die Another Day, and Lara Croft is becoming a better character. Gadgets, Lara lads, exotic locations, and witty one liners, this film is bond with a womens touch (well more like a kick in the pants). The film is a non stop adrenaline journey, all style and no substance, but this is a good factor, and makes it better viewing then the original which takes itself far too seriosly. Lara travels the world over, and each new location provides an action set piece. The film is essentially just action sequences strung together, much like Bond, and never lets go. This leaves the audience on the edge of thier seat or feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. Personally I found the 'never-let-up' attitude a great attribute to the film.

De Bonts career in Cinematography is clear, and actually the film is shot magnificantly, from Shanghai Traid battles to Lara absailing down a cliff in China, a collapsing Greek temple, to the penulitmate scene where Lara faces her nemisis for the final time, its all shot fantastically, and Jolie isnt the only piece of eye candy for the audience to lay thier attention on.

Jolie is once again perfect in the role, and seems to be enjoying herself so much in it. She once again makes the movie, with her good looks, and the way she seems to have taken the character to her heart. If the series becomes a franchise like many believe, its going to be hard for another actress to follow in her footsteps.

Down sides? Well the plot isnt groundbreaking, and it can get boring in places. Also the bad guy once again is ridiculous, and you never feel for once like Lara might actually not be able to take him on. Its not a film for everyone but if you like James Bond films, the Lara Croft games, or even the first film, you should enjoy this one

An Indiana Jones & James Bond Action style mix with a female twist

Author: Kin Wing from United Kingdom
21 August 2003

I would not class the first movie as a blockbuster, but it did well surprisingly due to the fact there wasn't anything else better running in the cinema at that particular time. Which was Good enough for Paramount to warrant the sequel, which was directed to my surprise by Jan de-Bont a Cinema photographer turned Action film director, same as Renny Harlin. Directors who are better at the visuals but thin on script. Plus The Film is based on a Computer game. With this combination you know what your getting, So when watching this movie, simply suspend all your beliefs and get ready for a Roller coaster, guns blazing action movie with stunning visuals and cinema photography. Angelina Jolie in my opinion is Okay in the roll, I had always hoped that someone else should have got the roll in the first film. A Pop Corn movie that looks technically brilliant on the big screen, shot in Widescreen Panavision and demand DTS cinema sound at your local multiplex.

Favorite movie this year

Author: PoorMrBook from Vancouver, Canada
5 August 2003

Part Indiana Jones and part James Bond, this is the most fun I've had in a movie for a long time. I was smiling all the way through. If you've played videogames, you know where this is coming from. If not, expect a good fantasy adventure: Incredible action! Globe-trotting! Babe with attitude! Hidden treasure! Monsters!!!

Borring

Author: Spanner-2 from United States
5 August 2003

This sequel again finds Angelina Jolie as the female Indiana Jones, jutting around the world... this time in search of Pandora's Box of all things.. While I wasn't a big fan of the original, it had some impressive stunt sequences and production design... this one on the other hand just doesn't work for me.. A collosal bore of a film that almost put me to sleep, Jolie sleepwalks through the film, displaying not one iota of genuine human emotion, and the supporting cast of lunkheads is just worthless.. The opening sequence has some good action, but from there it degenerates into tired and badly staged sequences that do little to involve the viewer. Hopefully the series will not continue. GRADE: D-

Best action movie, and sequel, of the summer.

Author: (wolfejw) from Auburn, Alabama, USA
25 July 2003

In Lara Croft's latest adventure, we see a much deeper and more developed butt-kicking, pistol packing, heroine. This film FAR surpasses the first Tomb Raider in every department. The action sequences are more spectacular, and there are more of them. The cinematography is breathtaking in almost every shot. The bad guys are badder, and the toys even cooler. Most importantly, we are brought inside a far more compelling story-world. I was not bored once.(this is unusual) Also, this time around, Lady Croft is a fully developed character, and we are treated to a much deeper understanding of her persona and her motivations. The only drawback: I fear that the franchise may have blown itself out after Cradle of Life. It seems highly unlikely that Ms. Croft could ever top this adventure.

Still Nothing Outstanding,but an Improvement from the First,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
8 February 2015

Lara Croft Tomb Rauder: the Cradle of Life is a decent movie with a good storyline and a mediocre cast.Like the first,it's simply another adventure movie that may have plenty of great action sequences,but it lacks the amount of depth we've seen in adventures like Indiana Jones or Star Wars,they put in a lot of time and dialogue to make sure the audience really cares for its characters and supports them throughout their journey, something that the Lara Croft series simply didn't focus on enough.This movie is, however,an improvement from its predecessor,it's certainly not a massive one,but I did find this more enjoyable,I was sucked in to the story a lot more and Angelina Jolie seemed more confident and pure in her performance,there is no denying that she was perfect casting for the role,it's just a shame that this series wasn't as good as it could have been,she easily could have became the female Indiana Jones.Its certainly nothing outstanding and its quite forgetful,but Lara Croft Tomb Raider: the Cradle of Life can make for a quick and fun watch if you ever see it on television and have some time to kill.

Archaeologist Lara Croft must track down a mad bioweapons genius who threatens to unleash a deadly plague.

Best Performance: Angelina Jolie Worst Performance: Ciarán Hinds

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris