Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
Page 3 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Temple To Athena

Author: jldmp1 (jldmp1@aol.com) from United States
7 July 2006

The attempt here is to deify Jolie as the goddess of technology, war and 'craft' through movie iconography. Plainly, the passage is through the Indiana Jones series, and several of the James Bond installments, including "Dr. No", "Goldfinger", "Moonraker", "A View to a Kill", and "Tomorrow Never Dies". Note her partnering here with a 'rogue Scot'. "Mission Impossible 2" and "Point Break" are thrown in for good measure.

This falls flat because of the deadly dull seriousness, and the absence of any sex appeal. It amounts to a spoof in all of its manifold allusive features, yet it generates no laughs. Jolie needed to play this with a wink at the audience, but got it completely wrong.

The other missing dimension is the lack of acknowledgment that this is, at its root, a game. There's no interaction with us, no engineering of narrative to engage us within this in some way.

We get a boring procession of visual platitudes, nothing more.

A Boring Movie

Author: Blacktrack from United States
17 June 2006

Now I am very laid back on movies and give all movies chances and most them I've seen haven't been as boring as this one. Well laura croft was at it again trying to find some treasure, (I forgot what it was because I fell asleep). Then I tried watching it again then I fell asleep. The action sequences don't even get you into the movie. The acting good but the storyline didn't really draw me in this movie. I tried giving this movie a chance and I'm not a person who wants it extactly with the video game or something, I didn't want a movie that would change my life or anything, just an enjoyable movie I can watch over and over again. My suggestion to you is don't try this movie out because I think it would be a waste of time.

Jolie in tight outfits. shame the film is little else

Author: TheNorthernMonkee from Manchester
1 September 2004

SPOILERS

For a long time the worlds of cinema and video games have been interlinked. For every film which has it's own game released, one game has a film created in the opposite direction. In 1993 we were introduced to the Bob Hoskins' picture "Super Mario Brothers" based on the original game. Eventually it wasn't long before the Lara Croft series would continue this route and therefore in 2001 the first "Tomb Raider" film was released. Whilst this first outing was a suitable story with relevance to the original series, the 2003 sequel was shocking in the fact that it was awkward, badly written and badly filmed. Ultimately, not even Angelina Jolie in tight outfits and bikinis could save this film from the rubbish dump where it belongs.

In this second film, Jolie's Lara Croft is dispatched off around the world in the search of Pandora's Box, also referred to as "The Cradle Of Life". Along the way, Croft picks up an exlove in the shape of Terry Sheridan (Gerard Butler) as she attempts to prevent greedy, virus dealer Jonathan Reiss (Ciaran Hinds) from unleashing an awful plague across the globe.

In James Hart's story, the idea of "Tomb Raider" dies a painful death. Whilst the original story was clever and intriguing with Croft travelling around the world with her butler Hillary (Chris Barrie) not far behind, this second adventure was relatively limited in location and with more violence than thought process. The first inspired people to think and actually focus on such a mindless film. In contrast, "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life" is monotonous and infuriating. This film is in fact so pointless that the brain rots as you slowly watch more of it.

As well as the awful script, this film suffers from a lack of acting ability. Whilst Chris Barrie's butler has evolved from a butler to a ridiculous comedy figure, Angelina Jolie has increased her posh English accent and produced a truely hideous performance. It's a shame actually because Jolie has the perfect body and appearance to represent Croft, but she just makes the role slightly too hilarious to be taken serious. Jolie has a nice body, ridiculously good in a black bikini, but mentally the actress is too stressed to provide a suitable performance.

Ultimately this second "Tomb Raider" film suffers from a lack of plot and a bit too much special effects. The thought process of the series and game have been removed in favour of Jolie in tight outfits and pointless elements. In some films this could work, sadly in the "Tomb Raider" series, it doesn't.

They made another one?

Author: themarina1 from Vancouver, BC
8 December 2003

I wanted to like this movie but I couldn't. I'm always up for girl kicking butt movies but this one really wasn't great. Yes, she looks good. Yes, she has guns. Yes, she has gorgeous hair but give me a break!!! This movie was really bad! Even the plot was pathetic and sad. I fell asleep halfway through and had to be brought back to life a few minutes later. Sadly, my wake up call also made me watch the 10 minutes I had missed. What a disaster this was. I can't possibly see another of these movies being made in the near future.

4/10 (She has to get SOMETHING for looking good....)

pandora's trash

Author: dertilee from Athens, Greece
5 October 2003

90 million dollars, exotic locations, an exciting and all-suggesting leading lady and... what? This? Incoherent, underwritten, flashy, trashy and close to the naively insulting. It could have been exciting interesting and magnificent but no they had to go and make it like a videogame ! Well, haven't they heard the news? 10 year olds are not the only film audience in the world. Now let them reap the poor box office and count the loss. It takes more than this to make the female combination of James Bond and Indiana Jones: it takes the art of cinema...

special effects reasonable, story line: nil

Author: Bernhard from Netherlands
6 September 2003

The special effects are spectacular but, in many cases, way over the top. Special effects have to have some modicum of "it might be possible to do this". If not, it becomes Star Wars, or worse.

The Story line is totally impossible and incoherent. It jumps from one location to the next without reason or rhyme.

A film that should have gone straight to the video rental stores. This is not even a B-movie.

Worse than the first

Author: tomlerher from Corvallis, OR
4 September 2003

As a fan of the Tombraider video game, and of Angelina Jolie, as well as a fan of the original film, I was raring to see this film. Especially after many critics claimed it was better than the first. I'm not sure exactly what made them say that, but boring action scenes, mostly poor dialog, and less screen time for Christopher Barrie made for a far worse film than the first. If you are going to make a tongue-in-cheeck action film, you don't need a believeable plot, or a brilliant script, but you do need exciting action sequences and funny one-liners. There were perhaps 3 scences in this movie that weren't boring, not worth the $6 I paid (yes, I only paid $6, I'm a student, and I'm not in a metro area).

How boring.

Author: aris-6 from Philadelphia, USA and Thessaloniki, Greece
30 August 2003

I liked the first Tomb Raider and I like Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. But frankly if it wasn't for her, I would not have stayed till the end of The Cradle of Life. I would also suggest the Hollywood screw-up-writers to take some lessons on Greek Mythology and History and not to place Alexander the Great before the volcanic eruption of the Island of Thera (Santorini). Or quit their job.

Female James Bond meets Indiana Jones

Author: moviedude1 from Minneapolis, MN, USA
3 August 2003

Lara is back on the trail of the bad guys! This time, with a little help from an old "friend," she's trying to protect the legendary Pandora's box from falling into to hands of the bad guys.

This film has it all! Mystery, suspense, adventure/action, and a little bit of romance thrown in, too! Jolie has outdone herself in this movie. I really never got into the last Tomb Raider film, but this one doesn't let you go! If there ever was a film that does NOT quit moving, this is it!

I'm surprised ANYONE liked this film

Author: Capt_comicbook from Kansas City
31 July 2003

Let me say, that I was shocked to see comments on this site that included words like "awesome" and "action-packed" and "I loved it..."

This was quite possibly the single worst example of screenwriting, and directing I have EVER seen. This film was so full of holes I find it hard to believe that even "dim-wits" could suspend thier disbelief. Here are a couple of the MAJOR plot problems Possible Spoilers

1. After loosing the orb and her Greek friends, we see Croft beating at her butler: saying that they must search all of greek history for every mention of an orb.... then she goes on a horsey ride, comes back, gets mad at some very un- impresive looking MI-5 agents and describes in great detail what the orb is.

2. Who in thier right mind would try to land a helicopter in a Chinese courtyard surrounded by power-lines and wires?

3. At the Honk Kong mall disease factory, Laura and the villains are have a prolonged gun fight and to escape, she jumps through a window.... It is then that the people in the mall run for thier lives.

4. When did her boy friend call in the jump packs? These are just a few things, and I might be wrong about them.... I was getting sleepy due to boredom.

Honestly, I like Jolie. For the first time she looks like a full fledged woman in this film, but hopefully some one who knows more about compelling movies gets to direct the next installment.

Only watch this movie if you have a free rental, and there isn't anything better than 'From Justin to Kelly'