Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
Page 11 of 32: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

some things are better left alone!

Author: nifabs
3 October 2003

I like the plot more in this movie but the action paled as they tried to imbue it with realism.

This is a "chick kicks flick", skip the realism and get whipping. Jolie does a remarkable job as usual but the many sideeffects and supporting cast detract from her performance unlike in the first one where she simply blows the screen away with that figure.

Still Good

Second installment of one of the most mind-numbingly boring adventure series ever.

Author: Christopher Attrill
2 October 2003

*1/2 of ****

Unintentionally hilarious sequel that establishes it's intelligence level early on by having Jolie punch an animated shark in the face! There's enough excruciating cornball dialogue and superfluous CGI to pad the running time(over 2 hours worth no less!)of a pointless and ludicrous plot involving Croft beating the bad guys to -wait for it-Pandora's Box! Despite everything this still is an improvement on the first film. Although that's hardly an accomplishment given that just like the original this immensely forgettable adventure hokum is stupifyingly un suspenseful!

Awful

Author: AragornsQueen from Cape Town, South Africa
1 October 2003

I was actually looking forward too seing this one, thte first wasnt toooo bad. This was terrible, i was bored halfway through and wished they could put me out of my misery.

i hit rock bottom 3 sec in, when she hit the shark. come on! credit us with some sense!!!

Much better than I expected

Author: hamtun from southampton
27 September 2003

I enjoyed this. It was much better than I expected. It worked extremely well at the level of mindless entertainment. You don't expect Shakespeare from a video game. All that is required of this type of film is that the main character has screen presence. Angelina's got it in spades. In fact she is so strong no other character really gets a look in except for Ciaran Hinds as the stock lunatic who wants to rule the world. The pacing is good, special fx excellent and the use of sound increases the enjoyment. It was 2 hours well spent.

Lara Croft is a B**CH!!!

Author: John O'Neill (john_oneill41@hotmail.com) from Leicester, England
17 September 2003

Well, the future of the Tomb Raider film franchise doesn't look too good after this effort. Although the first movie seemed rather light and flimsy, it had it's moments. Not so with this creation.

For a start, there's the character of Lara Croft. In the first movie, the viewer routed for her to win, but in this, after about five minutes,the viewer is praying she gets shot, whacked with a stick or even punched. She's just too infallible. On those occasions when she does get hit, I felt really happy.

POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD

Another problem is the arrogance she displays in everything she does. A good example is when she pulls out her gun to shoot Sheridan saying he's wasting time. WHO THE HELL DOES SHE THINK SHE IS?!? The poor bloke's been stuck in prison for who knows how long, of course he wants to relish his freedom a little bit.

A third problem is Terry Sheridan's accent. Just where is he supposed to be from? The actor is Scottish, so why didn't he use a Scottish accent instead of fluctuating all the time?

Hillary and Bryce, by far my two favourite characters aren't in it anywhere near enough although I suppose to be fair Lara is supposed to be the main character and they are the sidekicks. Perhaps she should take one or maybe both of them with her on her next outing.

The idea of the Pandora's Box isn't bad, and all the actors have the right look anyway.

But the whole thing left me feeling angry at Lara and thinking bad things about her.It is not a good sign for an action film when the viewer doesn't like the main character.

If there is a third Tomb Raider, the producers will need to start by making Lara more likable.

Very good movie if taken on it's own terms, yet I wish it were more true to the game.

Author: sandifay62 from Los Angeles
13 September 2003

I am a fan of the Tomb Raider games as well as a fan of Angelina Jolie. She's perfect as Lara Croft. The movies are good as entertaining action movies go, but they could be great if captured more of the soul of the game. In the game most of the fun is experiencing Lara Croft discover new passages and puzzle all by herself while making her way over and out of difficult obstacles with athletic prowess. In the movie they only allude to this two or three time for a few seconds. The only disappointing element in this movie, is the fact that Lara has so much help from others, whereas in the game she's pretty much a loner.

It's seems as if the people who are making these movies have never played the game. Their vision seems limited by James bond and Indiana Jones. Lara Croft could and should be so much more. James Bond was about gadgets,and Indiana Jones was about exotic places, puzzles, and secret passageways. Tomb Raider was about these things as well, but mostly about Lara climbing, jumping and performing many other athletic feats while completely alone in a wonderous ancient tomb-like setting. The movie slightly touched on this in the beginning, but there wasn't enough exploration.

Maybe if the people who made "The Mummy" made this movie it would be closer to the fun of the Tomb Raider games. Just replace Brendan Fraser with Lara Croft. That would be a classic! If they concentrated more on Lara Croft and less on her enemies this movie would be closer to the classic. They should give wacky Angelina license to go buck wild!

All in all I enjoyed this movie and plan to buy it. It's fun, Jolie is obviously having a good time and her co-star is easy on the eyes! When it's out on video/DVD, rent it or buy it, make some popcorn,turn your brain off, relax and enjoy. I'm ready for the third installment!

This is a "movie", not a "film".

8 out of 10

Lara Croft doesn't speak swahili???

Author: mbaosh
10 September 2003

I was amazed that Lara Croft was able to speak different dialects

but not swahili, and needed a translator. Surely-- her quests to

explore the world-and as an archaeologist-to search for lost

ancient artefacts have never taken her to East Africa?! And/or if they

have, did she not want to take the opportunity to learn the

language?

Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie, I think this was better than the first

one.

I am looking forward to a third installment. Hopefully her

adventurous quests will again take her back to Africa and she'll be

able to speak the dialect of the natives this time.

Unexciting and empty, but tolerable

Author: Danny_G13 from Glasgow, Scotland
7 September 2003

The original Tomb Raider didn't take itself seriously - it was fun, exciting, and with a reasonable plot. It didn't pretend to be anything other than what it was. The sequel manages to abandon the exciting elements and replaces them with an overkill of cliches. Angelina Jolie returns as Ms Croft, who's on a hunt to find the 'Cradle of Life', a concept which is never actually explained that well, as well as Pandora's Box. Or something. At its root level The Cradle of Life is nothing we haven't seen before, and was done better in the original Tomb Raider, and miles better in all the Bonds'. One of the problems is that Croft never seems to be in danger - invincible actually. And we can't relate to a character who seems to be completely perfect and ahead of the game to the extent she is. How many times do we see everything working for her obscenely perfectly? It's not believable. Angelina Jolie tries hard to come across as charismatic and enigmatic, but succeeds in appearing contrived and bland. Not really her fault, it's the character. Ciarán Hinds plays the bad guy here, but he's a fairly staple bad guy, almost peripheral. The plot is wafer thin and seems to be nothing more than a loose link between scenes. Fair enough if the eye-candy and action make up for it. They don't. At no point does the movie ever appear to care. A weird analogy, yes, but it just seems to be going through the motions and most players appear quite bored.

It's entertaining in a brainless kind of way, and tolerable, but really, to be inferior to the average original is unforgivable.

Angelina & Gerard are the HOTTEST!!!

Author: dlekic from Gustavsberg, Sweden
7 September 2003

Cradle of life is much better than the first one, although it could've been done little bit better. Action is missing on several places.

On the other hand, Gerard and ANgelina have incredible fire between them, couple is simply great.

You have to remember... this is based on a G-A-M-E!!!

Author: FrozenDreamer from Sunny London
7 September 2003

This is all built on the age old Hollywood-joins-Silicone Valley equation. Find a really popular computer game, make a movie that does really well in the box office... and then... wait two years and release another one that'll do just as well as the first movie, right??? Wrong!

'Cradle of Life' seems to lack the OOOHHSS and AAAHHSS that the first Lara Croft movie had. I don't know why but I found I couldn't get into the flow of things with this film. I couldn't relate! I can always tell when I am loosing interest in a movie... I bite my nails and start looking at my hands a lot. My poor nails are ruined now!

Don't get me wrong though, it does have its moments. There are some fabulous scenes in it with a lot of shooty gunny action that's good for amusement value and not much else. I'd wait for this to come out on DVD though, but because I'm a sucker and love going to the cinema (duuhhhh), I had to spend the dosh to go see this at the movies! I'll probably buy the DVD as well, only because I have the first one and now have to have the complete set of course (duuhhhh).

I'm gonna be semi-kind and give this one 7 flaps outta 10.