Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
Page 11 of 32: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Great stunts but that's it

Author: dollartheater from California
11 August 2003

Although I think Angelina Jolie is perfect for these types of action movies, this movie left me a little disappointed. A lot of time was spent explaining how she and her partner knew each other, and what the importance and history was of the object she was pursuing. Having thought this was an action movie, I was surprised the action scenes were too far apart and in between too many dramatic scenes. Yet, when there were some stunt scenes, the movie didn't disappoint. Nice to see a woman in the role mostly delegated to men nowadays. I'd read the first Tomb Raider movie had her in prosthetics to more accurately appear like Lara Croft, but in this movie she doesn't appear to be wearing any such devices. She's strutting her own goods, and she's lean and mean to fit the role. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'd recommend to the producers to go out and make another sequel.

Falls Flat

Author: Carrigon from United States
11 August 2003

I saw this movie yesterday. And all I can say is, it fell flat. Angelina is perfect, the settings were perfect, but the plot itself was very flat. I was bored alot and it just didn't seem very exciting. It was just missing something important. I think there was too much emphasis on the stunts and not enough on the characters and plot. It just wasn't very exciting. The games are actually better than this movie. I really wouldn't want to see a part three.

English accent was impeccable

Author: tpol-2 from Nottingham, UK
10 August 2003

When I waited to see 'Cradle of Life', the thoughts going through my mind was,' it had better be more enjoyable than the first installment'. I was so disappointed with Lara's first outing on the big screen. Firstly the film was too short, it was badly edited and there was too much dithering around at the beginning, which probably led to the small amount of time actually Raiding Tombs.

The start of the film began with a small intro of a Greek wedding, nice happy joyful time for the couple involved, so why they had to spoil it by banging on a crappy DJ and playing some god awful music, is beyond me. Saying that, we get the idea that the following earthquake unearths something that many people seem very interested in, including our lovely Lady Croft. Lara enters as we would expect, in spectacular fashion, and now the race is on to find the orb in an underwater Tomb where we know Lara is very capable. This is the Lara we know and love, scaling walls, shimmying across cables and prizing the orb from its grasp at the top of a tomb that is collapsing around her. As always she is being pursued by some bad guys who happen to steel the globe from Lara and bugger off leaving our lovely hero to make her own way to the surface. I have seen other people's comments about how silly the shark punching was, but it is Lara. Being smacked in the nose would leave anyone seeing stars and senseless let alone a shark which carries all its radar equipment in its nose, so that wasn't out of the realm of serious possibility.

Thank god there wasn't any dithering around at Croft Manor, Lara got straight into the plot and after picking up a sidekick and being literally dropped off in China, proceeded to ride the Great Wall of China on a motorbike at high speed (ah, its TR2 all over again, nice touch guys). From here the film goes from place to place on a hunt for the globe that will lead our characters to the cradle of life and Pandora's Box. This hunt seems more like a spy film than a TR although quite enjoyable in itself. Lara eventually get the globe which is a map where to find the COL which leads us to Africa where it is said all life began, some would say Eden, except I doubt Adam and Eve were white middle class Europeans. Anyway I digress, back to the plot. Lara arrives in Africa hotly pursued by the bad guys who in a quite creepily fashion get consumed by some shadowy type guardians leaving Lara and the top baddy or boss man to fight it out over the box. Now to stick with what we know about our lovely Lara's past exploits, the baddy should have opened the box, been possessed by it and Lara would have spent some time kicking its ass. Unfortunately it was not to be.

I enjoyed this film much more than the first and it was 1/2hr longer, Angelina seemed to be much more at home with the character, more natural this time and her English accent was impeccable. The only thing that spoiled it was the music and I know they are using music to appeal to people with the highest amount of disposable income, ie 18 - 24 yr olds. But an orchestra adds to the mood of the film.

Good to see only on the jump.

Author: jiaoniang from Dallas
10 August 2003

as for the movie, the story line is too thin compare to the first one. OK, besides that, there is only one place where they jump from the top of a building of HK worth seeing. As a mainlander, the loop hole of the places is laughable to see: they use slider to jump in a typical place in south China, where they walk to a place 3000km North to ride on the Grate wall. Then, after a small ride, they can lay on a place 80 km from Shanghai, where is 1000 miles away from North of China. Ironicly, the first place where they jumped is much closer to HK, which is about 2000km from Shanghai.

Asides from these holes, well, not too much to say about. Just not good at all. Even bad for a game. I believe the Africa scene is another point to see if it was intend to be 'beautiful' in shooting.

Trademark Jolie

Author: ReelFreak from Phoenix, AZ
9 August 2003

Every actor/actress has their trademark character: Harrison Ford-Indiana Jones/Han Solo; Arnold Schwarzenegger-The Terminator; Sylvester Stallone-Rocky. You get the general idea. This was a trademark Angelina Jolie film. Her character acting intensity, as well as looking good on screen, was the saving grace for a dude of an action movie concept. Cradle of Life was much better that than the original, partly because Angelina was able to refine some of the character's attributes.

For instance, in the first film the Laura Croft character seemed too rigid, mechanical and scripted, like a video game. In the sequel, the character had more depth and emotional intensity. You could see in Angelina's eyes that she had more fun making the second film, which translated into a more fluid and vivacious on screen character.

As far as the story and plot was concerned, it was your formulatic action adventure movie. The timing and choreography of the action sequences made the film fun to watch, however, in the climax of the film the action trailed off and fell flat. Typically, the best action sequences are during the final conflict at the end of the story. In this film, the best action was in the beginning and middle of the film.

In short, Angelina Jolie made Laura Croft a sexy likeable action character. However, in order to propel Laura Croft to the level of Indiana Jones, the Tomb Raider series will need a story line with more originality and whit than we have seen in the first two installments. I would recommend this movie just on the basis of the Laura Croft character alone, she was a real kick to watch.

Love This Movie!!!

Author: DarkGengar from Newcastle, Washington
8 August 2003

- Note: The comments of this film may contain spoilers so you have been warned.-

Jan de Bont ("Die Hard" and "Basic Instict") directed this fine movie that has the lovely Angeline Jolie as the world's greatest treasure hunter/seeker Lady Lara Croft.

Miss Jolie does a wonderful job in this sequel that is better than the first movie. In fact she did most of the stunts that were okayed by the movie staff especially the paraglider outfit that she and her character's former lover Terry Sheridan (Gerald Butler).

This movie provides as usual the different places that Miss Jolie's character goes to from Hong Kong to a city in Africa and beyond. You have got to enjoy the beautiful lips of Miss Jolie as well as her seductive eyes if your a Angeline Jolie fan. Ms. Jolie is indeed Lady Lara Croft in real life and depends on well the box office receipts come in there may be a possible sequel. Let's hope it will be one.

The Dark Gengar gives this wonderful film from one Gengar to Ten Gengars: Nine Gengars. The movie soundtrack is okay but should have played more to draw interest in buying this movie soundtrack. Aloha and enjoy the movies.

one huge disappointment

Author: DUKEJBM from Right Here
7 August 2003

I actually liked the first Tomb Raider and just wanted more of the same mindless fun. This movie was indeed mindless but hardly any fun. It was just one huge disappointment. I knew there would be implausible action but I just didn't expect it to be this disjointed or the plot to be this blatantly bad. The moment I saw her punch the twenty-foot shark and ride it to the surface, I knew I was in trouble. The fact that MI-6 would trust a woman archeologist to perform this mission solo was a joke. I counted at least a half dozen times were the duo of Laura & Terry could've just shot the bad guys and ended this silly chase (The helicopter scene were the main bad guy is hanging out reaching for the orb. Before Laura pole vaults with a bamboo stick, they had a clear shot and didn't fire. Also, after Croft steals back the orb in the tower she jumps out a mall window and runs. Why not turn around and shoot everyone in the head?) If you go into a movie like this looking for plot flaws then you're an idiot. I honestly wasn't doing that. It was just so bad that these things hit me right over the head. The action wasn't even that good. There was very little effort given and I don't even recall a single fight scene. Absurd CGI and the lack of any real action makes this sequel another shallow flick. That's something that this sad movie summer just didn't need.

The latest Tomb Raider falls below the standards set by the original.

Author: tea_party from London, Canada
7 August 2003

My wife and I were very disappointed by this latest Tomb Raider installment. Gone were all the fun character interactions from the first movie, gone was Lara's mysterious and mischievous personality, gone was the hero who didn't need some man to rescue her, and gone was the cool mystery that only Lara could solve with her quick mind and the help of her able assistants. This movie was very brutal and angry, rather than clever and fun.

Lara was a one dimensional angry woman with no flare or compassion. Her companions were barely used and one wonders why they were even in the film. Lara uses a computer instead of her mind to figure out the mystery of the orb.

There were many inconsistencies in the plot which made it confusing and almost impossible to suspend disbelief. While there was violence in the first Tomb Raider, in this one, the violence was very brutal, while in the original it was more cartoonish.

I would compare this movie to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Like Temple of Doom, Cradle of Life follows an excellent movie that had a clever plot and great characters with a trite, one dimensional action oriented travesty.

We won't be taking our daughter to see this installment of Tomb Raider. Hopefully Tomb Raider 3 will get the franchise back on track, much like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade made up for the really horrible Temple of Doom.

How can an action flick be so lacking in excitement?

Author: dlfasig (imdb@phase-6.net) from United States
6 August 2003

With all the stunts, special effects, and action, you'd think this film would be exciting. But it isn't. The production values are high, the acting tolerable and the plot acceptable. The problem is that there's no tension or emotion - no surprises. Maybe some humor would have helped, but there's precious little of that either.

Killer face and body goes far but gives up...

Author: customX13
6 August 2003

Totally predictable plot with no point in seeing other than for the obvious, the beautiful Angelina Jolie. The movie still lives up to the original video game in being just as boring, long, and a waste of time. In the end when Lara decides its not worth it, it makes you wonder then what in the world was the point? I guess when you're filthy rich like Lara and you've got everything, what else is there to do besides hunting for lost relics? I understand that the Pandora's box is claimed to be catastrophic, and Lara even said the box was "more powerful than we ever imagined." But if you know something is harmful, then why approach, just leave it alone! Like I said, exactly like the game, you spend hours trying to reach a goal and when you do, nothing happens, you just move on, all that hard work for nothing!